Chapter 8: Fixing a Broken Heart

I Want to Know What Love Is

Gerald closed his laptop and placed it on the table beside the bed.  He laid his head on the soft pillow and stared at the white and spotless ceiling of his hospital room. He has been confined at the Lakeland Regional Hospital for almost two days now and has been asleep for most of the time because of the medications being given to him. 

When Gerald woke up this morning, he was about to send Kim his usual morning greeting when he saw several missed calls from her, one from Matt and another one from Ali.  Since he was still a bit disoriented, he decided not to return any.  It was after eating his breakfast that he received Kim’s text message asking him to go online, which he did.  He felt a pang of guilt that he has to lie to her about running an errand with Gramps, but he didn’t want to make her worry over him.  What happened was only a confirmation that he needed this vacation more than anything.

He was taking a stroll near the lake just half a mile from his grandparents’ house yesterday after talking with Matt, willing the time to pass so he could text Kim at the right moment that he and Matt had agreed on.  After sending his message to Kim, Gerald suddenly felt very dizzy.  He sat down on one of the benches, waiting for the dizziness to dissipate.  When he felt it wasn’t about to end yet, he tried to call Gramps from his cellphone.  He was asking him to come and get him when all of a sudden, everything went black.   The next thing he knew, he was being hoisted by the Paramedics out of the ambulance and into the ER.  Since yesterday, a number of tests have already been done although no results have been shown to him yet and he’s getting quite impatient. 

“Gramps….”

“Yes, RJ?  Do you want anything to eat?  Your Gramma’s still at the house, waiting for the housekeeper.  I’m not sure though if she called your mom.  You gave us quite a scare, boy.  What the hell happened?”

“Gramps, don’t worry, I just need to rest.  Can you please tell Gramma not to tell anyone just yet, especially mom and Kim?” Gerald pleaded.

“Why the hell not?  We still do not know what’s wrong with you, but I’m pretty sure something’s amiss and you want me to just keep quiet?  Young man, you’re goin’ nowhere until I’m assured by your doctors that you’re ok, you hear?”

“Yes, Gramps, I hear you,” Gerald replied meekly.  It was the first time in years that he heard his grandfather react so strongly about anything.  “All I’m asking for is that you don’t tell mom or Kim anything just yet.  After all, this might just be a simple case of too much work.”

“Ok, I won’t tell them anything, at least not yet.  So you go get some rest.”

“I will, as long as you promise to wake me up as soon as you hear from Zoe (pronounced as zo-wee).”

“I promise.  Now, sleep.”

It wasn’t long before Gramps heard Gerald’s even breathing.  He looked at his grandson to make sure he was asleep before he picked up the Blackberry that was partly hidden under the pillow.  Grabbing his jacket from the armchair near the bed, Gramps slowly made his way out of the room.

Having made up his mind, Gramps walked towards Dr. Zoe Cruz-Patterson’s office.

“Zoe, can I have a word with you?” Gramps knew the doctor personally since her husband, George, who is also like a big brother to Gerald, is the son of Gramps’ long-time friend.  Zoe is also Fil-American just like Gerald and the two immediately became close friends when George introduced them almost two years ago.  The couple looks after Gerald like a real older brother and sister would. 

“Sure, Gramps, come in,” Zoe invited him without looking up from the EKG results she was holding.  “I also need to tell you something.”

“What is it?  Did you confirm your earlier suspicion?  How bad is it?”

“Actually, it’s not as bad as I thought, at least not yet.  But still, it needs to be monitored constantly and he also has to take it slow, otherwise, I might insist on an operation in a month or two,” Dr. Zoe leaned closer and placed the official reading of RJ’s electrocardiogram (EKG) she was holding a while ago in front of Gramps.  “This is the EKG we took last night.  I’m 90% positive that RJ has Aortic Stenosis or AS as we doctors call it.  Simply put, AS is the abnormal narrowing of the aortic valves. When the degree of narrowing becomes significant enough to impede the flow of blood from the left ventricle to the arteries, heart problems develop.  I do not know whether RJ is suffering from recurring shortness of breath and chest pains or not, but having fainted is reason enough for me to look into the possibility of AS. Besides, given the kind of work that he has, I wouldn’t be surprised if he is indeed having chest pains and is just ignoring them.  The syncope or fainting spell may have been brought about by either exertion or excitement.  I will give you a more definite report once I get to talk to RJ.”

          Gramps simply stared at Dr. Zoe, still trying to absorb everything she told him.  “Oh my God,” was all he could say as he tried to hold back his tears. “What will I tell him?  He’s already asking for the results of the tests.  RJ also asked me not to tell his mom and Kim.  You do remember Kim, don’t you?”

          “Of course, I do, Gramps.  How can I forget when all of RJ’s emails are all about her and what the two of them are busy with,” Dr. Zoe is also getting teary-eyed as she recalls how Gerald becomes as animated as her 2-year old daughter whenever he talks of his girlfriend.  She witnessed how Kim’s presence in Gerald’s life changed her adopted baby brother.

          “Can I ask you a favor, Zoe?”

          “If I can afford it, Gramps, sure.”

          “Please don’t tell RJ just yet what his true medical condition is.”

          “Well, like I said, RJ’s case doesn’t need any urgent procedure, but we do have to start with the treatments if we don’t want my baby brother to get any worse than he already is.  Besides, without effective treatment, the average life expectancy of an AS patient is less than three years after the onset of chest pain or syncope or fainting symptoms.  So, sure, I won’t tell him just yet.  But I will have to tell him before the treatments start.  Standard Operating Procedure, sorry.”

          “It’s ok.  I just need to buy some time so I could make the necessary arrangements with his home network in the Philippines, and of course, to prepare his mom and Kim for all the possibilities.  His Gramma still doesn’t know.  I’ll appreciate it if you can help me explain everything to her.”

          “No problem, Gramps.  Just call me if there’s anything else that you need.  I’ll probably drop by RJ’s room a little later today, after the nurse on duty has given him his medicines so he’d be drowsy when I see him.  That way, I can avoid his questions.”

          “Thanks, Zoe.  See you later.”

          “Be strong, Gramps.  RJ needs you now, more than ever.  I’ll call George at noon and ask him to drop by after he gets off from work.”

          Gramps left Zoe’s office and made his way to Gerald’s room where he was still asleep.  He suddenly remembered that he needed some numbers from Gerald’s Blackberry so he hurriedly got a pen and a piece of paper from the table beside the bed.  He scrolled down and wrote Kim’s, Vangie’s and Johnny Manahan’s numbers.

After putting back Gerald’s phone beside him, Gramps went to the nurse’s station and asked for the Head Nurse.

          “Ms. Dee, I think RJ’s going to be asleep for quite a while.  Would you please tell him that I’ll be back later?  Thanks,” and he went to the parking slot where he left his car the day before.