Chapter 38: Gerald’s Birthday – part2

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“O, pack-up na!  People, don’t forget, we resume on Monday!”  Direk Trina shouted at the top of her lungs.  It was still early and the cast and crew alike were all excited to spend a quiet weekend.

          “Kimmy….”

          “O, Ge…ang bilis mo ah, kappa-pack-up pa lang, bihis ka na?”

          “Di ba ngayon na ang flight ko puntang Gensan?”

          “Ay, oo nga pala…gusto mo, hatid kita sa airport?”

          “Ok lang ba?  Mami-miss kasi kita eh.  Di ka ba talaga pwedeng sumama?”

          “Babe, may photoshoot ako eh, pero hayaan mo, kapag natapos ng maaga, try ko makahabol, kahit isang araw lang…ok?”

          “K.”  Gerald sat on the chair next to where Kim’s bag was.  He was just looking at her as she cleared her things on top of the make-shift dressing table.

          “Eh bakit sad ka?”

          “Wala, ok lang ako. Medyo pagod lang.”

          “Sus, kunwari pa ‘to…Halika na nga…”  Kim took his hand and led her towards the parking lot after they said their goodbyes to everyone.  Gerald told kuya fredo to just follow his car.

          Gerald opened the door for Kim after putting their bags at the back compartment.  He went around and slid behind the wheel.  Before long, he has already joined the slightly congested precession of cars along EDSA.

          “Babe, wag ka na magtampo.  Babawi naman ako sa’yo pag punta natin sa US.”

          “Talaga ha?  Promise?”

          “Opo.  O, smile ka na.  Hala ka, papangit ka…”

          “Sus, palibhasa, alam na alam mo kung papano ako uutuin. Kung di lang talaga kita mahal…”

          “Ano?  Ano?  Ibe-break mo ko?”

          “Hindi…basta na lang ako mawawala…”

          “Ganon? Akala ko pa naman, mahal mo talaga ako.  Hindi pala…”  Kim sulked in her seat, pouting her lips, making her look even more  y than she already was, clad in her maong short shorts, with a white racer back top and just a see-through baby pink open polo with folded sleeves.

          Gerald has reached the parking lot and motioned for Kuya Fredo to just wait for Kim’s call.  He looked at the time and finding that he still has a good 4 hours before his flight, he asked if Kim wanted to get something to eat at the Jollibee kiosk near the ticketing office.  It was not the busiest time of day so there was only a couple of customers at the far end of the store.  They ordered some nuggets, fries and a glass of iced tea for take out.  After their order arrived, Gerald asked Kim to join him at the lounge near the exit.

          “Lika nga, let’s talk.  Kain na rin tayo, dahil for sure, hindi ka na naman kakain mamaya.”

          “O, sige, ano ba ang pinag-e-emote mo?  Di ba dapat ako ang nagtatampo?  Mag-aaway ba tayo?”

          “Babe, nainis lang ako, kasi sabi mo basta mo na lang ako iiwan…”

          “Kimmy, di ko sinabing iiwan kita, ang sabi ko, basta ako mawawala, pero pwede naming mag-iwan ako ng letter, di ba?  Or email?  O text message?  Pero teka, wala akong balak mawala ano?  Ang morbid naman ng conversation natin.  Baby, tama na ha?  Maghihiwalay lang tayo for the weekend, para namang for good na eh.”

          “Sorry ha?  Alam mo namang ayokong ayoko na nagtatampo ka eh.  Kung pwede nga lang ba, bakit naman hindi ako sasama eh para sa mommy mo yun…”

          “I know.  Nag-iinarte lang ako, just trying to get a passionate kiss from my gorgeous girlfriend before I leave for Gensan.  Masama ba yun?”

          “Sus, yun lang pala, pinahaba pa ang storya…hmp!  Kainis ka…awayin daw ba ako para lang sa kiss…Cheap mo ha?”

          “Sorry na po.”

          “Sige na nga, you’re forgiven.”  Kim looked around to see if there was anyone looking at them only to find out that the place was all theirs except for the staff at the counter.  She quickly kissed Gerald on the lips.

          “Ang bilis naman.  Di ba pwedeng mas matagal?”

          “Behave ka nga.  Nasa public place kaya tayo…”

          As soon as they finished eating, Kim made sure Gerald has memorized her excuse for Mommy Vangie.

          “O, sige na, mag-check in ka na sa counter, kelangan ko na rin umalis, baka naiinip na si Ate Tata sa bahay.  Kanina pa kaya kami dapat naka-uwi.”

          “Sige na nga, ingat ka ha?  Hatid muna kaya kita sa parking?”

          “Wag na, di na tayo matatapos ng paghahatidan pag ganyan ka…Babay na.  Enjoy!”  And she watched as Gerald eased his hand-carried luggage towards the airline’s baggage check-in counter.

          As soon as she climbed into her seat at the back of the van, Kim dialed Mommy Vangie’s number.

          “Hello, Ma?  Kimmy po.  Pauwi na po si Ge.  Kakahatid ko pa lang po sa kanya sa airport.  What time po ba yung party tomorrow night?”

          “Hi anak!  Buti naman tinawagan mo ‘ko.  I’m starting to get worried.”

          “Mommy, naka-check in na po si Ge.  Bukas po ng 11 am ang flight namin ni Direk Ruel.  Diretso na po kami sa hotel at baka makita pa ako ng anak nyo, masisira ang surprise natin…”

          “O, sige anak.  Ipasusundo ko kayo bukas.  Ingat ha?  And Kimmy, I noticed how excited RJ is to come home.  May nangyari ba?

          “Ma, wala po.  Medyo naguguluhan lang po ako sa kanya, pero wala po ito.  We’ll work things out.”

          “Are you two fighting?”

          “Hindi po, hindi po.  Promise…”

          “O, sige, bukas na lang tayo mag-usap ha?  Ingat kayo.  Love you, kimmy.”

          “Thank you, ma.  Love you too. Bye.”

The following day…

          “Ma, ano’ng oras ang blessing?”  Gerald was still sleepy as he walked over to his mom who was seating by the kitchen counter.

          “Mga 4pm anak.  Why?”

          “Wala lang, I just want to rest a bit more.  Parang pagod na pagod ako eh.”

          “Sure, RJ, get some more rest.  Mamaya na kita gigisingin around 2pm, ok?  But eat your breakfast first.”

          “K.  Ikaw, kumain ka na?”

          “Yes, I’m done.”

          After eating, Gerald went back to his room, sat on the bed and opened his laptop.  He was making some more instructions for Joven, Ali, Fred, Matt and Rayver.  In a way, he was already preparing for his trip to the US for his operation, although the date was still unsure.

          He typed the last of his directives and was about to close his laptop when a picture of him and Kim which he uses as his wallpaper popped up.  Gerald stared at the screen for quite sometime before closing the laptop.  He began missing her again.

          “God, what am I to do?  I really love her.  What if something happens to me?”  He muttered to himself in an emotional monologue.

          Gerald picked up his cellphone from the table beside the bed and started typing a message for Kim.

          “Hi baby, what are you doing?”

          He tapped his fingers on top of his pillow as he waited for her to answer.

          “Hi babe!  Dito ako sa mall, may binibili lang.  Kasama ko si Ate Tata.  Ikaw?  Ano’ng ginagawa mo?  Behave ka dyan ha?”

          “Oo naman.  Ako pa!  The blessing of the house is at 4pm.  Tawag ka mamaya para makausap ka rin ni Mommy.”

          “O, sige.  Kaya lang babe, malapit na ako ma-low batt.  Tawagan na lang kita pagdating ko sa bahay ha?  May practice pa ako ng ASAP in 30 minutes.  Baka gabi na ‘ko makatawag sa’yo.  Wag ka magtatampo ha?  Trabaho ‘to…”

          “Yeah, I know.  Sige, ingat ka.  Na-miss lang kita kaya ako nag-text.  Yun lang.”

          “Alam ko po.  Ikaw din naman eh, na-miss ko…sige na, I have to go.  I love you.”

          “Ingat ha?  I love you too.”  Gerald realized he was already smiling as he put his phone down.   He gave in to the call of slumber still wearing a smile on his face.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The blessing of the house breezed through without a hitch.  Mommy Vangie was clearing the last of the plates on the table at the second floor family area when she noticed that Gerald was silently staring into space.  He might have looked like he was watching the streets below, but she noticed that his gaze went past through everything he was seeing.  She put down the plates again and went to stand beside him.

          “Anak, may problema ba?”

          “Huh?  Oh, hi mom!  I didn’t hear you approach.”

          “Obviously, kasi lumilipad ang isip mo.  Si kimmy ba?”

          “No, not really.  I was thinking more of the upcoming operations.”

          “Are you afraid, RJ?”

          “Not for myself, mom.  I’m more afraid for all of you.”

          “Wag ka magsalita ng ganyan!  Magagalit ako sa’yo, sige ka…”  And tears started falling down her cheeks.

          Gerald turned to his mom and looked straight into her eyes.

          “Mom, just accept whatever happens.  I cannot tell you that everything’s going to be ok when I really have no idea what’s gonna happen.  But we had a happy life together, right?  No matter what, just think of me, you know I will never be gone, I will always be with you.”

          Mommy Vangie’s sobs grew even louder after hearing what her son said.

          “Anak naman eh.  Lalo mo ‘ko pinapaiyak.  Para ka namang namamaalam nyan eh.”

          “Mom, look at me…  I have been blessed a thousand folds.  I was able to give you the kind of life we have always dreamed of, I found the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with, and I have experienced how it was to be a star.  It was more than enough, don’t you think?  I couldn’t ask for more.”

          “I know.  Magiging selfish naman ako kung magagalit pa ako sa D’yos kung sakali man at kuhanin ka nya sa’ken.  Pero sana naman, wag muna, RJ.  Di ko pa kaya…”

          “Mom, promise me one thing,  should something happen to me, that is, if I die, you will go back to the States and live with Ken, ok?  I don’t want you to live here on your own.  If you really don’t want to leave, then make Ken come home.  Yun lang.  That’s all I’m going to ask.”

          “Ok, I promise.  Just promise me you will recover…”

          “Mom…”

          “Sige na, sige na…   by the way, go get dressed, we’re eating out tonight.  Your suit is behind your wardrobe cabinet.”

          “Ayoko ma, dito na lang tayo.  I’m not in the mood to go out.”

          “RJ, please, pagbigyan mo na ‘ko.  I already made a reservation.  Hindi mo ba ako pwedeng i-date, wala naman si Kimmy dito eh.”

          “Asus, at nag-selos pa…sige na, I’ll go get dressed.”  And he kissed his mom before stroding in to his room.

Later that night….

          Mommy Vangie was on the phone with some of her relatives and friends, giving last minute instructions as she waited for Gerald to come out of his room.  She also texted Kim and told her that any minute now they would be going to the hotel already.

          Gerald looked absolutely handsome in his black suit, albeit the somber expression on his face.  He slowly made his way down the stairs to join his mom.

          “O, bakit parang ang lungkot mo?  Para namang masama ang loob mo na ako ang ka-date mo ngayon eh.”  She kidded him, making him think she was hurt.

          “Of course not…  si mommy talaga o.  Halika na nga, gutom na ako.”  And he escorted her out the door and into his car. 

          When they arrived at the hotel, his mom told him to park by the side entrance.  They got out of the car and walked the short distance to the door.  Gerald thought the place was too dim, with only candles providing the light.  As soon as they stepped inside, the lights were opened and everyone started singing happy birthday.

          Gerald’s eyes were getting misty as he was ushered to the front.  He saw his old friends, most of his relatives and then some.

          The emcee announced that Gerald would first dance with the 21 females in the audience who were closest to his heart.  His shoulders sagged as he remembered Kim, but followed the usher as he danced with friends and relatives one after the other.  Soon, it was time for his mom’s turn, but Gerald thoughtfully recounted in his head and realized that his mom was just the 20th.  There must be some mistake.  But he didn’t say anything.  The host must have overlooked the number of dances.

          As the song was about to end, there was a drum roll as the emcee announced that the 21st dance was about to commence.  He was shocked as Kim’s name was announced and he saw her walking slowly towards him.  She was wearing a red tube dress and she looked absolutely gorgeous.  Gerald couldn’t help but stare at the angelic vision coming towards him.

          She kissed him on the cheek and smiled at him without saying anything.  He took her hand and led her to the make-shift stage, the dance completely forgotten.

          The host requested a message from Gerald and handed a microphone to him.

          For a few minutes, he couldn’t speak so Kim took the mic from him and , “Gulat ka’no?”  She turned to the audience and explained.  “Kanina po kasi, tinext nya ko, tinatanong nya kung asan ako.  Sabi ko, nasa mall.”  Her laughter reverberated inside the function hall as Gerald continued to stare at her.  He still couldn’t believe that she was there.

          Finally, he started his speech, thanking everyone, from his fans, to his friends, to his mentor, Direk Ruel, to his brother Kenneth who flew in from the States just to be there on his celebration, and to his mom.  But it was his message for Kim that got the loudest catcalls and made everyone present shed a tear or two.

          “….tapos sa nanay ko, ang pinaka-importanteng tao sa buhay ko, ang aking inspirasyon….uhm…”  Gerald tried so hard to contain his tears, pausing for a full 10 seconds before he could continue.  Kim had to tap him on the shoulders first.

“Uhh, wow….Kung alam nyo lang ho kung gaano kabuting tao ni Kim, kung ga’no kabait…isipin nyo, mas mahigpit pa ang schedule nya sa’ken, pero nandito sya ngayon, kasama ko.”  Gerald discreetly wipes off tears from his cheeks before continuing with his message.

“Lahat ho ng success ko, kahit yung mga proyekto na hindi ko kasama si Kim, pag naging successful, I feel na Kim is always a part of me…kahit ano’ng mangyari, kahit ano’ng mangyari, 5 years, 10 years, 30 years, hanggang sa day I die, Kim will always, always be a part of me.  Kim, maraming maraming salamat talaga.  Minsan, dahil lately, yung schedule natin di magkakasundo, di tayo laging magkasama, pero ikaw pa rin ang iniisip ko lagi….pa-kiss nga.” 

What started out as a very emotional speech ended on a light note, making everyone feel so happy.