Chapter 20: Bits and Pieces

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

KTM Pilot Episode (Flashback)

          Kim lay stretched out on the large, gray couch at Gerald’s entertainment room, watching the credits for May Bukas Pa.  As soon as KTM’s theme song was played, simultaneous to the introduction of the casts, she turned up the volume of the equally huge plasma TV before standing up and peering at the door.  Gerald was taking too long in the kitchen.  She was about to get out to see what’s delaying him, she realized she was barefoot.  She turned back, not wanting to put on her 3-inch heeled sandals, she looked for a pair of slippers under the couch and found Gerald’s blue Havaianas.  Giggling at how small her feet looked with Gerald’s size 11 flipflops, she trekked down to the kitchen.

          “Baby?  Start na ng KTM…ano ba’ng ginagawa mo pa?”  She found Gerald preparing pancit canton at the breakfast nook.  Two glasses filled with ice and a pitcher of coke was on a circular silver tray sitting on top of the table.  Gerald turned around to put the plate of noodles and two forks on the tray.  He smiled as he saw Kim by the kitchen counter.

          “Missed me already?”  His boyish charm oozing from the poster boy smile he gave her made Kim’s heart flutter anew.

          “Syempre…lika na, start na yung soap, baka di natin abutan…”  She replied, taking a handful of table napkins from the rack before tracing back her steps.

          Gerald noticed that Kim was wearing his slippers and it warmed his heart to see her using his things.  “Geez, she’s so cute with my slippers on…I wonder how she’d look wearing only my polo shirt……Good God!  This woman’s making me crazy.  Just thinking about her is giving me a hard on.  Help me, Lord…”  And he followed her up the stairs.

          “Ayan…nag-start na nga…ang tagal mo kasi…”

          “Sorry na po…  Pinag-handa pa kasi kita ng pancit canton.”

          “Thanks babe…lika, dito tayo.”  And she resumed her original position earlier.  Gerald held his breath and chose to sit at the far end of the sofa, where his lap met with Kim’s feet.  Realizing where he was, Kim slid a bit further down so her legs were anchored on Gerald’s lap.

          “Baby, torture ‘to ah…galit ka ba saken?”  Asked Gerald, whose was slowly becoming evident on his crotch.

          “Di ah…sssshhhh…nood ka.  Uy, kamuka mo yung young Robbie o.  Ang galing din nya umarte ha…”  Kim rattled on, not minding the bulge that was poking at her legs.

          Gerald knew it was pointless to pursue the topic so he kept his mouth shut and concentrated on KTM.  Kim sneaked a glance at Gerald, somehow feeling guilty of her mischief but realized she was feeling a bit warm herself.  She could still feel his hard on.

          After the episode, Gerald excused himself and ran to his bedroom to take a cold shower.  Kim felt bad but she couldn’t give in.  She has her period.

          The BUZZ – 1.24.10 PNK Promo

          The interview ended and as the lights dimmed, Kris began scolding Kim.        “Uy, Kimmy, ikaw ha?  You’re so obvious…”  Kris laughed at the naivete of her ‘Gwen’.  “Naloka ako sa’yo don…Grabe…and you, Melissa, kunsintidora ka din, just like me…”  Kris’ laughter was contagious.  Soon, even Robi and Gerald were laughing at the girls’ exchange.

          “Ms. Kris, bestfriend ko po si Kimmy, normal lang naman po yung reaction ko, di ba?”  Melissa justified her confirmation of her friendship with Kim.

          “Yeah, right, but hers wasn’t,”  Kris replied, looking intently at Kim.

          “Mommy naman eh…pinapahiya mo ‘ko…”  Kim pouted, her pseudo-brattiness amused everyone, including Kris.

          “Susme, umamin na kase…Gerald, o, nagseselos talaga ‘to…”  Kris called Gerald’s attention, whose ears and cheeks suddenly turned a slight shade of pink.

          He laughed at Kris’ claim, took Kim’s hands and smiled without giving any comment.

          The floor director notified Kris about the next cue.  The visitors kissed her goodbye and piled out of the studio while waving to the audience.

          As soon as Kim and Gerald were inside the latter’s car, Kim started tickling Gerald in the ears.

          “Kimmy, I’m driving…wag ka mangulit…please?”  He tried to catch Kim’s hand but he failed.  In the mood for playing games, Kim voluntarily stopped, but teasingly placed her left hand on Gerald’s leg, making him swallow as if his throat has suddenly gone dry.  He loosened his shirt, feeling warm despite the coldness of the aircon.  “Alright, Ms. Chiu, what is it that you want?  Coffee, tea or me?”

          Kim felt her cheeks burn, feeling shy once the table has been turned.  She realized how naughty she has been.  “Siomai?”  She giggled to hide her embarrassment.

          “Hinde…you wanted something else…ang kulit mo eh, kanina pa…akala mo hindi ko napapansin ang pagpapa-cute mo ha?  Lagot ka ngayon…”  Gerald smiled as he noticed that Kim’s tenacity to make fun of him dissolved all of a sudden.  She grew silent beside him, just holding his hands.  She propped her head on his shoulders and began singing ‘Paano na Kaya’.

          “Baby?  Paano na kaya kung mawala ako sa’yo?”  Gerald blurted out before he could even think.  As soon as the question was out of his mouth, he regretted it.

          “Huh?  San galing ‘yun, Ge?”  Kim sat up with her back as straight as an arrow, and faced Gerald with a look that seemed to dare him to say some more.

          “Ah, eh…wala.  Tanong lang.  I was just wondering.  Syempre, you never can tell.  Malay mo, pagkahatid ko sa’yo, maaksidente ako, di ba?”

          “Ang morbid mo, Anderson!  Bawiin mo’ng sinabi mo…”  Kim was almost tearful.

          “Baby naman, joke lang yun eh…”

          “Pwes, di ka nakakatawa!”  Kim turned her head and looked out the window,  her arms crossed over her chest, trying to hold back the snuffles.

          “Sorry na po…ito naman…you’re too serious.  Lighten up, ok?  I’m sorry.  Wag ka na magalit ha?”

          When Kim still didn’t move, Gerald pulled over to the side of the road and stopped.  He turned to her and engaged her in a tight embrace.  “Hindi ako mawawala, promise!  Di ba paulit-ulit kong sinasabi na maghihintay ako?  Everybody knows that, and they believe that I will.  Bakit ka nagwo-worry?”

          “Baka iwan mo ‘ko eh…”  Kim was already starting to shed some tears.  “Siguro may gusto ka ng iba kaya ang lakas na ng loob mo ngayon na isiping magkaka-hiwalay tayo…sabagay, maraming may crush sa’yo.  Sa PBB na lang eh.  Andyan si Sam, si Cathy…tapos ang bilis bilis mo na rin magsabi ngayon na we’re not committed at we’re just M.U. na parang tuwang-tuwa ka pa…”

          “Eto na naman po tayo…Baby, ikaw ang nag-iinsist na itago ang relasyon natin, tapos ngayon nagseselos ka sa mga babaeng may crush saken? Crush lang ‘yun, let it go, please?  Katulad ni Sam, I don’t know her, I have no plans of knowing her, and I don’t care if she has a crush on me.  I only have eyes for one girl, and that is you, Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu.  Satisfied?”

          Kim could only nod, not trusting her voice.  She cuddled up some more to Gerald without letting go.  “Promise?”

          “Promise and hope to die…o, ok na?  can we go now?  I’m really hungry…”

          Kim reached out and kissed Gerald passionately on the lips.  She didn’t let go of Gerald’s lips without giving it a soft bite.  “Ok…san tayo?”

          “Gusto mo mag-drive thru before we go to the mall show?”

          “Sige…”  And Kim happily resumed her position, her head on his shoulders, his hands entwined with hers.    

          PBBDU-House Visit

          Kim adjusted Gerald’s somewhat crooked bowtie.  “Ang kulit naman nitong tie mo, parang ikaw…”

          “Ako na nga, nakakahiya naman sa’yo.  Baka isipin nung mga staff dito na tayo na nga, kahit na nasabi na natin noon pa na MU lang tayo.”  Kim heard the offended tone of Gerald and immediately pulled his coat sleeve to make him turn around and face her.

          “Ge, ano ba?  Bakit ang sensitive mo ata ngayon…”

          “Wala…halika na, pinapapasok na tayo.”  He pulled her to him and guided her to the door that led to the garden.  They were in awe as they took in the new appearance of the house that has become a very important part of their lives.

          The paul jake group greeted them, with Melai and Rica in semi-hysterics.  They chatted with the group until Big Brother told them it was time to leave.  Gerald asked if they could get a tour of the house and Kuya agreed.

          As they went inside, Kim and Gerald felt nostalgic.  Kim didn’t notice the sad smile of Gerald as they passed by the living room which was the setting of so many romantic moments between them.  Kuya told them to go to the confession room.  Once inside, Gerald felt a lump on his throat.  He wasn’t able to contain his emotions as Big Brother told him how proud he was of their achievements.  Kim realized just how lucky they were as she seconded Gerald’s message of gratitude.

          Before leaving the confession room, Kim asked if they were still pushing through with the double date with Jason and Melai.  Big Brother told them that they would be informed soon.  With that, they thanked Kuya once more and went out of the PBB house with mixed emotions.

          Kim noticed that Gerald has been very silent since their exit from the PBB house earlier.  He seemed lost in his thoughts as he maneuvered the car in the slightly heavy traffic.

          “Ge?  Bakit?”

          “Wala, I just realized how lucky we are.  At tama ka, di pa nga siguro time para malaman ng mga tao na mag-on na tayo.  Hayaan mo, I won’t do or say anything na makakapag-bigay ng kahit na anong clue about our true status.”

          Kim did not answer.  She was a bit disappointed with what Gerald said.  She’s almost ready to tell the world, now he’s backing out.  Has he gotten tired of waiting for her to be ready?  Kim was beginning to feel depressed, but for the first time, she couldn’t tell Gerald about it.

          She was surprised to find that they were already in front of her building when Gerald stopped the car.  Kim didn’t expect him to take her straight home.  Somehow, she felt that something important happened but couldn’t point a finger on what it was.  She was almost afraid to ask for fear that she might lose what has always been there for her.

          Gerald got out of the car to open her door.  She stepped out, yanking the train of her dress before letting him close the door.  He walked her to the lobby, as chivalrous as ever.

          “Akyat ka muna?” She asked him in almost a whisphered tone.

          “Hindi na siguro, para maka-rest ka na rin…Maaga pa tayo bukas sa taping.”

          “Ok…ingat ka pag-uwe ha?”  She kissed him on the lips, lingering a bit just to have him stay a while longer.

          He hugged her tightly, not letting go for more than a minute.  “Baby, I love you so much…lagi mo tatandaan yun ha?  Don’t ever forget just how much I really love you…”  and he let her go.  “Sige na, get on the elevator…”

          Kim went inside, pushing the OPEN button and holding it so that the door wouldn’t close just yet.

          “Ge…”  Kim called out to him as he turned to leave.  “Wait….can you stay a little bit longer?  Please?”

          Gerald stopped in his tracks, almost tearful at the desperate plea in her voice.  He had to be firm on this, he told himself.  He looked at her and smiled glumly.  “Goodnight, baby…Sleep tight and please dream wonderful dreams of us together…I love you.”  Without looking back, he left.

          Showtime-PNK Promo

          While changing into his red sweatshirt, Gerald felt a slight twinge on his chest.  He held on to a chair while reaching out for his medicine inside his small toiletry bag.  He took one tablet and drank from the bottle of water on top of the dresser.  Still feeling a bit giddy, he sat down, inhaling and exhaling exaggerately, as if the exercise would clear the wrenching feeling on his chest.  He reached for his cellphone and dialed Zoe’s number without even checking the time.

          “Ate, I don’t think I can hold on any longer.  It’s becoming more and more frequent.”  He prattled as soon as Zoe answered.

          “RJ?  Is that you?  My God!  What happened?  Are you ok?”  Zoe turned to wake her husband up, whisphering, “Honey, it’s RJ.  I think he’s not feeling good.”

          George sprang from the bed and took the phone from his wife.  “RJ, where are you?  What happened?”

          “Kuya, I’m still ok…just a bit exhausted with all the promotions and guestings, not to mention the tapings and last days of shooting.  I was just telling Ate that the attacks are becoming more frequent.  When she goes home, can you please come with her?”

          “Of course!  Even if you didn’t ask, she couldn’t have stopped me from coming.  Hold on, ok, we’ll fly in day after tomorrow…and I don’t want to hear any excuses from you.”

          “Ok, see you then.  Sorry if I woke you up, guys…”

          “No problem.  Here’s Zoe…”

          “RJ?  Are you still taking the medicine I prescribed?”

          “Yes, why? Do I have to take double doses now?”

          “I think you should…”

          “K.  Thanks and sorry for making you anxious.  I guess I’m just afraid.  I really don’t want to leave Kimmy at this time.”

          “Don’t worry, li’l brother, you don’t have to…you won’t have to.  Not if I can help it…See on the fortnight.  Take care.  We love you, RJ.”

          “I love you too…”  At that precise moment, Kim walked in and heard what Gerald said.  She immediately felt a pang of jealousy.  Who would he be saying I love you too?

          “Baby?  Sino’ng kausap mo?  Si Mommy ba?”  She asked with apprehension.

          “Ha? Ah eh, oo…”  Gerald lied.  He couldn’t tell her it was Zoe because she might ask questions he still wasn’t prepared to answer.

          “Ah, ok.  Halika na, tayo na ang susunod.”  She took him by the arm, taking note of where he placed his Blackberry before leaving the dressing room.

          Kim noticed that after their production number, Gerald was breathing heavily, panting as if he was gasping for air.  She frowned in puzzlement.  Gerald, huffing?  He’s as fit as fitness goes.  He wasn’t like that when they did the lyrical dance for the ad congress and that number sure had more liftings than what they just did.  To think that he only lifted her in the end, she suddenly felt nervous for some reason.

          As soon as Gerald has put her down, she signaled to Joven to get him a glass of water.  She gave it to him and pulled him by the arm towards a monoblock chair at the back of the stage.

          “Wait here, I’m just getting you a towel and a new shirt so you could change.  You’re sweating…”

          She ran to the dressing room, grabbed his towel and frantically searched for a new shirt.  As she got hold of a black round-necked Abercrombie shirt, she saw Gerald’s Blackberry on top of his duffel bag.  She couldn’t resist the urge to find out if it was really Mommy Vangie he was talking to earlier, so she hurriedly got the phone and scanned the call log.  The phone almost fell from her hands as she saw that it was someone named Zoe and it was a dialled call.  It means Gerald was the one who called her up.  She placed the phone back to where she found it and took the towel and shirt back to Gerald.

          That same afternoon, they sat beside each other inside the dressing room assigned to them at the Wowowee show.  Gerald was napping at the couch as Kim sat on the chair opposite to where he was.  They were waiting for their turn.  She couldn’t help but shed a tear at what she found out.  There really was a girl and her name was Zoe.  Melissa was right all along.

          Wowowee-PNK Promo

          Gerald woke up feeling a little better.  He immediately searched the room for Kim and found her at the seat facing the dresser.  She looked so sad.  He stood up, fixed his shirt and walked up to her.  Embracing her from behind, he placed his chin on her head, looking at her through the mirror.

          “Hi baby…are you ok?”

          “Uhm…ikaw?”

          “Medyo ok na after that nap.  Sana natulog ka rin… We still have a very long day ahead of us…”

          “Ok lang ako…Lika, prepare na tayo. We’re next.”  She stood up, forcing Gerald to straighten up as well.  As if on cue, a staff knocked on the slightly open door and informed them that they would be called in 15 seconds.  Gerald took hold of her hands, and led her out the door to the hallway where they would be coming out.

          The walked into the studio hand in hand, causing the audience to shriek in delight.  Then Pokwang decided to do her antics, catching Gerald by the arm, and incessantly sniffed at his arm.  Gerald couldn’t do anything but sneak a glance at Kim, as if asking for help.  By then, Pokwang was already Gerald’s nape, causing inconsiderable discomfort for both Kim and Gerald.

          “Mamang, ano’ng ginagawa mo?”  Kim asked, careful not to show her annoyance.

          Gerald thought, O-oh…here we go again…pati ba naman si pokwang? 

          Kim was thankful that it was over.  She held on to Gerald as they bid everybody goodbye, asking them to watch the premiere of their movie.

          Once inside the van, Gerald called Joven first to tell him to go straight to Vista Real since he was already riding with Kim in her Starex.

          “Hay naku, ang hirap talaga ng gwapo,’no?”  Kim commented to no one in particular.

          Gerald looked at her in amusement.  “Baby, pasensya na.  Di ko naman pwedeng bastusin si ate pokwang, you know that.  She’s never been anything but nice to us, remember?”

          “I know.  Pero gustong-gusto mo naman nung hinahagpos-hagpos ka nya!”

          “Ha?  Ano ka ba naman…didn’t you hear what she said after the break?  It was a motherly thing…Baby, let’s not make this an issue, please.  Pagod tayo pareho and I don’t think it’s wise to go into an argument right now…we’ll sleep over it, then tomorrow, you can start on it, ok?”

          “Ok…teka, san ba ako magbibihis?  Sa Vista Real na?”

          “Ofcourse!  Ayaw mo ba ako’ng kasama mamaya?”

          “Gusto, syempre dapat talaga magkasabay tayo…”

          “Ok… Lapit ka pa…I miss your hugs.  Can you give me an ooooopsie again?”

          “Dito?!”

          “Oo, bakit?   Heavily tinted naman ‘tong van mo di ba?”

          “Ayoko nga, nakakahiya…”

          “Baby, I’m just asking you for a hug…ano ba’ng sinasabi mo?

          “Ah….Ow….yun pala yun…sige, lika na.”  She blushed as she realized her blunder once again.  She inched toward him and gave him a big hug which ended up as a tight embrace that both of them seemed to prolong, not letting go until they reached Gerald’s house.