Chapter 7: Taking Risks

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

After the parade, Kim’s Star Magic family went to Le Souffle in Makati where a dinner was served, courtesy of Gerald, in honor of Kim’s new movie.  While waiting for her, Matt and Melissa sat with Rayver in one  of the booths.

“Guys, naaawa na ‘ko kay Ge.  Wala ba tayong pwedeng gawin?”  Matt looked at his girlfriend and barkadas.  “I’m thinking of a plan, and it just might work."   

“Ano, mangingialam ka?”  asked Melissa, who’s clearly not in favor of what Matt was implying.

“Mel, hindi sa ganon.  I just want Kim to realize that in life, there is no guarantee.  Parang tayo, we gambled on each other, hoping that our love would last forever.  She can’t stay in the shadows forever.”

“Tama si Matt, Mel.  If you promise not to tell Ge that I told you, I will tell you a secret,” Rayver said in a hushed tone, as if somebody would hear him.

“Sige, out with it.”

“You have to promise first.”

“Okay, okay, I promise.  So, ano na?”

“Ever since it became known to our Star Magic family that Kim and Gerald are already exclusively dating, but they refused to admit it in public, Gerald has been the center of constant teasing among the guys.  Don’t you know how painful it is for a guy to be sort of disowned publicly?  Not to mention the guys rubbing it in his face every chance they get?  It’s a nightmare I wouldn’t even dream of having.  Saludo ako kay Ge, Mel.  He took it all in stride, just for Kim.  And she has no idea at all.”

“Totoo ba ‘yan,” Mel eyed Rayver accusingly, then looks at her boyfriend.  “Matt, totoo ba ang sinasabi nito?”

“Yes, Mel.  Unfortunately, it’s true.  Kaya nga nakakaawa si Gerald.  Tapos everytime may maliit na issue, it gets blown out of proportion, at sya pa ang lumalabas na unfaithful.  My God, Mel, he’s practically a saint, compared to most of the guys at Star Magic.  Imagine, pati gimik sa gabi, pinapalampas na nya ngayon, for fear na may maging issue na naman at masaktan si Kim.  It’s always about Kim.  Never ko pa sya narinig na pinrotektahan ang sarili nya.”

“Now that I think about it, you do have a point.  Sige, ano’ng plano?”  Mel finally agreed to go along with their plan.

Kim looked around for her friends and spotting them in a quite secluded area, she made her way to their table.

“Hi guys…”

Everyone looked up, surprised to see Kim in front of them.

“Uh, hi Kim!  Kanina ka pa dyan?”  Mel asked uneasily.

“Kakarating ko lang, bakit?  May problema ba?  Bakit mukha kayo lahat may almoranas?  Puro kayo nakangiwi.  Ganon na ba  ako ka-haggard tingnan?”

“No, hindi naman.  Lika, sit down.  We were just talking about the mysterious streamer.  Sino na naman ang bago mong admirer, ha?”  Matt hastily replied, wishing Kim didn’t hear any of the things they were talking about earlier.

“Asus, kung di ko pa alam, kasabwat kayo ni Ge.”

“Guilty.”  Everyone admitted.

“Miss na miss ko na sya, pauwiin nyo na naman o.  Sige na please..”  Kim begged them, starting to get teary-eyed once more.

Rayver, who was just listening through it all, stood up, placed his arms around Kim’s shoulders and said, “Ikaw lang ang makakagawa nun, Kim.  Ikaw lang.”

Deep in her heart, Kim knew Rayver was right. 

Kim was jolted out of her musings when she heard Ate Nhila’s voice.

“Good evening everyone.  I hope all of you are already settled in your tables.  In a few minutes, we will be serving dinner.  But before that, I would like to request everyone to please focus your attention on the wide screen to my left.  It will only be a 5-minute presentation so please watch.  Thank you.”

The lights were dimmed and the audio-visual presentation began.

The first few slides were pictures of a cute baby girl.  Kim watched indifferently, but as the next slides rolled, her heart was already beating as if it would jump out of her chest.  She realized she was watching herself!  The screen showed pictures of her growing up in Cebu, of her as a student, then as a PBB housemate, followed by all of her projects, mostly with Gerald, up until Tayong Dalawa.  Then, Gerald’s beaming face stared back at her.  She concentrated on what he was saying, “…you’ve all seen her grow up, from the giggly 15-year old inside Kuya’s house, to the very beautiful debutante who stole my heart.  Now, she not only proved herself worthy of being the PBBTE Big Winner 3 years ago, but she has also evolved as an actress.  My heart is swelling with utmost pride for the artist that she has become, and tonight is our celebration in her honor.  Thank you for joining her in such a momentous milestone.  To all of you, our star magic family, it is my pleasure to present, my one and only love, the newest drama queen of ABS-CBN, Kim Chiu.”

Everyone clapped, Matt and Mel escorted her toward the make-shift stage in front.  As she took her place beside Ate Nhila, the teaser of I Love You Goodbye came on the screen.

After the trailer, the lights came on, and Kim found everyone at their feet, clapping their hands, smiling at her.  It was a wonderful night, if only Gerald was here.

As soon as the last guest has left, Kim went home.  Sleep became elusive to her once again.  She looked at the time, realizing it was almost midnight.  “Gising na kaya si Ge? Hmmm…mai-text nga.”  And she texted Gerald.  “Baby, can you go on-line?  Please?”

“Sige, I have about 15 minutes to spare.  Gramps is asking me to drive him to the Veterans Affairs Office.”

With that, Kim hastily scrambled out of bed and opened her laptop.  She couldn’t suppress the smile as she went on-line, and patiently waited for Gerald.

“O, how’s the parade?  Did you like my surprise?” was Gerald’s greeting.

“Oo naman.  Kilig na kilig nga ako eh.  Sayang, wala ka dun.  You would have seen the envious looks the girls gave me.  Thank you so much, baby.  Lalo na yung dinner.  Grabe ka, gumastos ka na naman.  But thank you.  I really appreciate it.”

“It’s the least that I could do.  Sana lang I didn’t blow my cover with the streamer and all.  Pasensya na ha.  I know how much you hate it when I get too vocal about my feelings for you.  I understand you naman eh.  You’re just trying to protect our loveteam.”

“Baby…,” Kim wanted to tell him that she’s now willing to take the risk, but for some reason, she just couldn’t.

“It’s ok, Kim.  I understand.  Lagi naman di ba?  Don’t worry.  When I get back, they won’t get a peep out of me.  By the way, I’m going straight to Gensan when I get back so I’ll probably get to see you on New Year’s eve, ok?”

“Ha?  Bakit?  Di mo ba ko nami-miss?  Ikaw, miss na miss na kita,”  and with that, Kim began sobbing.   “Ge, di mo na ba ‘ko mahal?”

“Kimmy, ano ‘yan?  I just showed you how much I love you, didn’t I?  San galing yan?  Hey, look, don’t worry.  We’re good.  My love for you hasn’t changed a bit, trust me.  Ikaw, mahal mo ba ‘ko?”

“Syempre naman!  Tinatanong pa ba ‘yon?  Kainis ka!”

“See?  I’m just turning the tables around so that you’ll get my point.  Now you know.  Kimmy, don’t worry too much.  Hey, superstar, I have to go, Gramps is getting impatient.  I’ll call you as soon as I can, ok? I love you very much.  Bye.”  And with that, Gerald signed off.

What was that, Kim thought, staring blankly at the screen in front of her.  She didn’t even get the chance to tell him that she’s now ready to let the world know how much she loves him.  “Oh, well, the minute he gets back, I’ll tell him.”