Chapter 18: Issues

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

          “…someday somebody’s gonna make you

          want to turn around and say goodbye,

          until then baby are you going to let them

          hold you down and make you cry?

          Don’t you know, don’t you know

          Things can change?

          Things will go your way,

          If you hold on for one more day…”


It’s been three days since they came back from Bangkok, and they haven’t spent a single moment alone with each other.  It was driving both of them crazy, although they couldn’t afford to be cranky.  A slight case of depression was setting in. 

          “Portia, ano ba nangyari sa mga scheds ng dalawang bata?  Bakit di sila magkasama sa promos ng movie at serye?  Ang lungkot-lungkot na ng alaga ko eh.  Ninenerbyos na ‘ko, he might have an attack if this goes on.  Wala ba tayong magagawa?  Kelan na yung double date sa PBB?” 

Nhila was already frantic when she called Portia.  Kim and Gerald were at different location shoots for KTM and apparently, both were not at their best since they haven’t had the time to be together for the last 72 hours.

“Di ko alam, Nhils.  Akala ko, na-plantsa na natin ‘to.  Teka lang ha, magtatawag ako, baka may magawa tayong paraan.  Kumusta si Ge?  Kim is already irritable pero di naman pinapahalata sa ibang cast at crew.  Pag kami lang, nahahalata ko.  But once nagkausap na sila ni Ge sa phone, medyo kumakalma naman.  Give me an hour, I’ll try my best.”

“Sige, pero gawan mo ng paraan ha…”

“Ok, bye.”

Kim couldn’t contain her sadness anymore.  Direk Erick noticed she was a bit distracted and she hardly ate during the breaks.  So he took it upon himself to check on her.  “Kim…”

“Yes, direk?  Ako na po ba ulit?”

“Hindi naman.  Hija, may problema ba?  Napansin ko lang, medyo malungkot ka and you seemed distracted kahapon pa.  Are you alright?”

“Ok lang po ako.  Salamat po sa concern nyo.  Wag na po kayo mag-alala.  Pagod lang po siguro ako.”  And she tried to give the good director a genuine smile.

“Siguro name-miss mo lang si Gerald…”

“Medyo po…3 days na po kasi kaming hindi nagkikita eh.”

“Ok lang yan, at least we know that absence really makes the hearts grow fonder, right?  O, sya, smile na anak at promise, bukas, magkasama na kayo…”

“Talaga po?”  Kim couldn’t hide her excitement anymore, regardless of what the director would think.  They’re not hiding anything from them anyway.

“Basta ba matapos natin lahat ng scenes na naka-schedule ngayon eh.”

“Sige po, sige po…kahit hanggang madaling araw, tatapusin ko po….”

“Sus naman ‘tong batang ‘to…Bigla naman akong kinilig sa’yo.  Sige na, mag-prepare ka na at sasalang na tayo para matapos at nang magkita na kayo ng prince charming mo na mukhang nagmamaktol din dun sa kabilang set.”

“Ho?  Bakit naman po?”

“Hmmmmm….kunwari pa daw ‘to.  Eh di kagaya mo, namimiss na rin ang prinsesa ng buhay nya…Naku, maloloka ako sa inyong mga bagets.  Sige na, halika na.”

“Susunod na po.”  Kim smiled as she happily got her change of wardrobe for the next scene.

Meanwhile, Gerald was feeling tired and lonely at the other location shoot of KTM.  He missed Kim terribly.  Direk Dondon was at the helm.

“Ge, pagod ka na?  Pwede ka pa ba ng ilang takes?  Konti na lang ‘to…”  Direk Dondon was getting worried as he looked at Gerald.  He seemed paler than ever.  Before Gerald could answer him, he motioned for Nhila to approach him.

“Nhils, nkaka-take ba ng medicines nya si Ge?  Grabe ang putla nya ha?  Di ba sya kumain kanina?”

“On time ang meds nya, direk.  Kaya lang wala talagang gana kumain.  Feeling ko miss na miss na si Kim, kaya ganyan yan.  Pero di naman sya nagko-complain.”

“I know.  And that makes it worse.  Never sya nag-complain kaya di ko alam if he’s still ok or not.  Better check the schedules and call his doctor so that the treatments could be started right away.  Ok na kami for at least another 2 weeks’ worth of episodes kaya pwede na sila ma-“kidnap” ni Kim.”

“Sige, Direk, ako na po ang bahala.  Tatapusin lang siguro yung mga guestings.”

“Sige, pakainin mo muna kaya?  Or better yet, ask Portia to tell Kim to call Ge para naman sumaya ‘yan ng konte before the take.”

“I’ll do that, direk.  Thanks.”  And Nhila turned to go back to the tent that served as the location’s dressing room while trying Portia’s cellphone number.

“Ge, may gusto kumausap sa’yo…”  Nhila gave him the phone and left, giving him some privacy with his caller.

“Hello?”

“Baby, I miss you…”  He heard Kim’s sad voice at the other end.

“Hi, baby.  I missed you too…San ka na?  Tapos na ba kayo?  We still have about 4 takes before pack-up.  Medyo pagod na rin ako.  Did you eat na?”

“Hindi pa rin. Siguro mga 2 scenes na lang kami.  Hindi pa ko kumain, wala kasi akong gana.  If you want, punta na lang ako dyan after ng shoot dito, magdadala ako ng food, sabay na tayo kumain.  Ok lang ba yun?”

“Talaga?!  Sure ka, you want to do that?  Baka may makakita sa’yo, ma-issue pa yan…”

“Ok lang, basta gusto kita makita ngayon…sige na, ha?”

“O, sige, kasama mo ba si Ate Tata at Kuya Fredo?  Make sure na hindi ikaw ang magda-drive ha?  You also need to rest.”

“Yes po…promise.  Sige na, see you later, baby.”

“I love you, Kimmy.  See you later.  Ingat ha?”

“For you, I will.”

**********************************************************************************************************************

          It was already one in the morning and Gerald was doing his last scene for that day.  Kim sat between Ali and Nhila, holding the box of food she bought along the way.  As she looked at Gerald, she still couldn’t get over how lucky she was to have someone like him in her life.  She knows that he is one of a kind and there could be nobody else for her but him.

          “Cut!  Good take…Pack-up everyone!  See you tomorrow…”

          Gerald literally ran to where Kim was seated and embraced her as if he hadn’t seen her for years.  The rest of the cast and the crew could only watch, sigh and smile with understanding for the two young hearts obviously very much in-love with each other.

          “I missed you very, very much, Kimmy!”  Gerald whispered in her ear, giving her goosebumps all over.

          “I missed you too.  Can we eat first?  I’m really starving…”

          Gerald released her and guided her toward his Ford Expedition.  “Where do you want to eat?”

          I bought something for us to eat.  San mo gusto kumain?  Mas malapit tayo sa Vista Real, gusto mo umuwi na lang muna tayo dun?”

          “Sige, let’s go.  Tell Ate Tata and Kuya Fredo to go ahead and I’ll take you home later.”

          “Ok.  Wait lang ha?  Dyan ka lang…”  And off she went to find her PA and personal driver to tell them to go ahead.

*********************************************************************************************************************

          Kim was seating on the sofa in Gerald’s entertainment room with Gerald’s head on her lap.  She slowly ran her fingers through his hair before lowering her head to give him a kiss on the lips.  Gerald looked up at her, his eyes probing hers.

          “Baby?  Antok ka na?  Gusto mo, hatid na kita?”  He asked, worriedly eyeing the dark circles around her puffy eyes.

          “Mamaya na.  Wala pa naman sigurong reporter na magche-check kung kasama mo ko dito ngayon,” she laughed at her own joke, trying to bid some more time with Gerald without making it obvious.

          “Sure ka?  I don’t want to be responsible for whatever will happen if you don’t go home ha?”  Gerald back.  Smiling naughtily, but liking every minute of their playful banter.

          “Sus…at gusto pang maka-score ulit.  Tumigil ka ha?  Madaling araw na.  Gusto ko lang maramdaman na nasa tabi kita, wala lang.  Na-miss talaga kita, sobra!”

          “Ikaw din naman eh, miss na miss ko.  Wala ba’ng nagsumbong?”

          “Ng ano?  May ginawa kang kalokohan?”

          “Wala ‘no!  I mean, kung walang nagsumbong na na-depress ako sa set, kasi nga 3 days na kitang di nakikita.”

          “Ang sweet naman ng baby ko…pero, alam mo, napansin din ako ni direk.  Pareho lang tayo ‘no!  Ganito pala kapag talagang level-up na ang relasyon ano?  Masarap na mahirap.”

          “Don’t worry, baby, kaya natin ‘to…ngayon pa?  It’s been almost 4 years…”

          “Sana nga, Ge…sana nga…”

          “Dito ka sa tabi ko, tulog muna tayo….we both need the energy for all the activities tomorrow.”

          “Di na ‘ko uuwi?”

          “Text mo na lang si ate tata na agahan nya bukas para paglabas mo dito, kasama mo sya.  Magkasama daw ba tayo sa promotions bukas?”

          “Wala pa sinabi eh, pero sana naman.  Last day na ng promo yun.”

          “Bahala na.  Lika na, let’s sleep.  Promise, behave ako.”

          And they slept like two spoons on top of each other, Kim was in a fetal position with her back on Gerald’s chest.  His arms were around her, as if to show the world that she was his, and nobody could take her away from him.

**********************************************************************************************************************

          The ON-AIR sign has just been turned off.  The couple thanked Ruffa for the wonderful interview.  It went well, of course, except probably for one thing.  The Sam Pinto issue.  Gerald was holding Kim’s hand, leading her from the studio to the exit where his car was on valet.  The fans and several reporters were on their tail.

          “Kimmy, sabay na tayo papunta sa SM Bicutan ha?  Ang daming tao eh, ayokong iwan ka rito on your own.  Baka mamaya pa makalabas si Ate Portia sa dami ng nakasunod saten.”

          “Pa’no yung gamit ko?  San ako magbibihis?”  Kim retorted, sounding a bit irritated.

          “Sa bahay na muna tayo, pasunudin mo na lang si Ate Tata…”

          “K,”  and the silent treatment began.  The security detail was able to bring them to Gerald’s car in no time.  Soon, he was pulling out of the ABS-CBN compound.

          “Bakit ang tahimik mo?  Baby, may problema na naman ba?”  Gerald asked.

          “Wala!”  Kim’s eyebrows almost within reach from each other.

          “Eh bakit ka ganyan?  Uh-oh, don’t tell me, naglilihi ka na kagad?”

          “Ang kapal mo!  Hindi ah!  Asa ka pa!”

          “O, bakit, masama ba’ng umasa?  Remember, honey, I didn’t use rubber the first time AND the second time…”

          Kim’s eyes widened as she realized Gerald was telling the truth.  But she didn’t say anything, she didn’t dare.  She immediately checked the calendar on her Blackberry.  After counting the days, she sighed with relief.

          “Wag ka umasa, safe ako!  I counted the days, and I’m as regular as Christmas!”

          Gerald didn’t answer her.  He continued to drive in silence.  When they got to his house, he opened the door, got out and went to Kim’s side to open the door for her.  She got out without a word, walked past Gerald and went inside the house.

          He followed her, still deep in his own thoughts.  He went to the kitchen and got himself an ice-cold glass of water.  He sighed heavily and Kim finally noticed his silence.  “O, bakit ka nag-iinarte d’yan?”

          He just looked at her, shook his head and turned towards the stairs.  Kim followed him, puzzled by the way he was behaving.  She thought, “akala ko ako yung naiinis dito, bakit biglang nabaliktad ata,” and without thinking, she pushed his bedroom door open, only to gape at his torso.

          “Uhm…Ge?  maliligo ka ba?  Pwedeng ako muna?  Init na init na ‘ko dito sa damit ko eh.”

          “Ok.  Tawagin mo na lang ako pag tapos ka na.  I’ll just go downstairs and wait for Ate Tata to bring your things.”  And he started to leave the room.  Kim had had enough!

          “Hoy, Geraldo, ano ba’ng problema mo!”

          “Kim, not now, please…”

          “So, Kim na ngayon?  Bakit, dahil may Sam-my ka na?  Sige, dun ka na sa kanya!”  And she sat on the couch at the foot of his bed, her hands on her face as sobs escaped .  Her shoulders began to shake.

          “Kimmy, yan ba ang problema?  Nagseselos ka?  Ni hindi ko sya kilala!  Ikaw ‘tong gumawa-gawa pa ng istorya kanina sa interview, sasabihin mo na crush ko yung tao eh ni hindi ko pa nakikita yon!  Ano ba’ng gusto mong mangyari?  Magalit saken ang fans natin?  Isipin nila na niloloko kita, and in the process, pati sila?  My God, Kimmy, you’re not only making me look like a liar, but you’re also ruining my credibility as a person!”  Gerald exhaled in exasperation.  He sat down beside her, put her arms around her and stayed by her side in silence, trying to alleviate the obvious strain between them.  He surrendered as he realized he couldn’t bear to see her get hurt.  He embraced her as she snuggled her head at the crook of his neck.  “I’m sorry, baby, I didn’t mean to lose my temper.  Tahan na, sorry na…  medyo bad trip lang ako kanina.  Di naman ako galit eh…sorry na.”

          Kim’s sobs got louder as she tried hard to explain.  She only managed to babble a whispered apology but Gerald hushed her and just continued to rock her back to comfort.  They stayed that way for quite sometime, no one dared to move or say anything.  After some time, Gerald held Kim’s head away from his neck, forcing her to look at him in the eyes.

          “Kimmy, kulang pa ba ang ginagawa ko?  Haven’t I told you enough how much I love you?  Pumayag na ako’ng wag natin i-reveal ang relationship natin.  You have denied me in public for 3 years now, but isn’t this taking it too far?  Yun ba ang gusto mo, ang magka-gusto ako sa ibang babae?”  Gerald’s tears slowly formed in his eyes, threatening to fall in just a blink.  He suddenly felt the sharp but fleeting pain in his chest.