Chapter 24: Heart, Body and Soul

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“You see I try to hesitate
I didn't want to say what he told me
He said without me he couldn't make
It through the day, ain't that a shame?

But maybe you misunderstood
'Cause I can't see how he could
Wanna change something that's so good
Because my love was all it took

The boy is mine
You need to give it up, had about enough
It's not hard to see the boy is mine
I'm sorry that you seem to be confused
He belongs to me, the boy is mine”

          Direk Lauren Dyogi knocked on Mr. M’s inner office twice before he opened the door.  The elder man looked up from his desk and smiled as he recognized the good director.  He stood up and the two shook hands, the former offering the seat in front of his desk.

          “O, Lauren, what brought you here?”

          “Sir Johnny, I need a favor.  We’re being flooded with requests for a Kimerald-Melason double date.  Posible ba ‘yon?  How’s their schedule for the next week or the week after next?”

          “Actually, Lauren, I think this will be as good a time as any.  This is some kind of hush-hush here at Star Magic, even at ABS.  Nobody knows except for Charo, Kim’s and Gerald’s handlers, their directors for PNK and KTM, and the executives of their fans club.  But you being responsible for getting these kids to where they are now is reason enough for you to know what is exactly going on.”

          “May problema ba kina Kim at Gerald?  They were just inside the PBB house the other week and they seem happy to me.”

          “Kim doesn’t know, but I think Gerald does, although he also doesn’t know that we were already told.  You see, Gerald is suffering from Aortic Stenosis, it’s a heart illness which if not treated properly might result to a major operation that has no guarantees.  At the moment, his doctor advised him to take double doses of his prescriptions because the attacks, as in fainting spells, dizziness and the like, are getting more frequent.”

          Direk Lauren inhaled deeply before slowly breathing out, as if to clear his head and absorb what Mr. M has told him.  “Oh my God…not Gerald.  That boy is one of the humblest persons I have ever met.  Despite the fame, his feet remained grounded.  Is there anything I can do to help?”

          “None at the moment, except perhaps to bring them to PBB house so that he could rest without feeling guilty about not doing his work.  They still have a lot of tapings to do for KTM, but Erick Salud assured me that Gerald and Kim are way ahead of their schedules.  They can afford a week of absence from the soap.  Besides, it’s not use getting Gerald inside the house without Kim, right?”

          “Yes, I’m glad you also agree with me on that.  I’ve noticed since day 1 of their career that a guesting of one without the other doesn’t rate, but put them together and you’ve got yourself a hit.”

          “We know that now.  And all along, I thought it was just an exaggerated declaration from the fans and an overrated observation from the producers.  With PNK, they proved me wrong, big time.”

          “Take care of those kids, they’re a goldmine.  Not just with their drawing power with the fans, but attitude-wise, you can’t complain.”

          “That’s what we’re trying to do.  So, what are the plans?”

          And the two head honchos continued with their brainstorming, taking into consideration Gerald’s condition.

************************************************

          Kim was with Melissa, Erich and Beauty, enjoying an afternoon off.  She has just finished taping for KTM and Gerald brought her to Eastwood where she met with her three bestfriends.

          Melissa:  “O, asan si Ge?” 

          Kim:  “Uwi daw muna sya, gusto nya matulog eh kasi di pa kami nakakabawi sa puyat at pagod.  Alam nyo naman yun…”

          Erich:  “Eh bakit ikaw, naglalakwatsa?”

          Beauty:  “alam mo naman yan, basta sa galaan, kahit pagod, go pa rin, di kagaya ng papa Ge nya, mahina ang resistensya!”

          Kim:  “Oy, ang sama nyo…di ah!  Pinatulog kasi ako ni Ge kanina sa kotse habang papunta kami rito para daw maka-rest ako kahit papano tutal traffic din naman.  Mga 1 hour din na power nap yun ha!”

          Melissa:  “Ang sweet talaga ng boyfriend mo, grabe!  Wala ba’ng kakambal ‘yan?”

          Erich:  “Ka-triplets kamo!”

          Beauty:  “Kayong dalawa talaga…marinig kayo ni Matt at ni Enchong, baka isipin ng mga ‘yon, pinagpapantasyahan nyo pa ang boyfriend nitong si Kimpoy!”

          Melissa:  “Di naman sa ganun…masama ba’ng mag-wish na sana ganun din kabait si Matt?”

          Kim:  “Mabait naman kaya si kuya Matt!”

          Beauty:  “Hmmmp!  Tama na nga yan…tayo ba’y magsa-shopping o magku-kwentuhan lang?”

          Erich:  “Oo nga, halika na kayo…sayang ang oras…teka, ano ba’ng mga bibilhin natin?”

          Beauty:  “Sabi nyo bibili kayo ng mga valentine gifts para sa mga boys nyo?  Ako, bibili ako ng gift para sa sarili ko…hahahaha!”

          Kim led her friends towards the entrance of the mall.  She texted Gerald while her friends went inside one of the shops.

          “Baby, are you home na?  Are we still on for tonight?”  She pushed the SEND button and waited for his reply.

          None came.  She wanted very much to call him but decided against it since Gerald might as well be asleep and her call might wake him up.  She followed her friends and looked for her special gift for Gerald.

          Two hours later, the girls were all exhausted from all the walking and shopping and chatting, they decided to eat first before going home.  As soon as they have ordered, Kim again texted Gerald, telling him she would be finished in 45 minutes, and asked him if he would be picking her up.  Again, no reply.  She was starting to get worried so she dialed Ali’s number, but it was out of the coverage area.  Then she tried Joven’s.  His sister answered, telling her that Joven was still at her house, nursing a hangover.

          “Guys, hindi sumasagot si Ge eh.  Wala naman sa bahay si Ali at si Joven.  Naku, pano na ‘to…”

          “Hay naku, Kim, don’t panic.  For all you know, baka naman masyado lang mahimbing ang tulog ng hubby mo.”  Beauty tried to make fun of the situation to calm her down.

          “Kim, kainin mo muna yang food mo, and then if you still haven’t talked to him by the time na dumating ang sundo ko, I’ll drop you off at his place, ok?”  Melissa cajoled her into finishing her food.

          Feeling helpless in her dilemma, she agreed, but she still couldn’t eat.  The girls let her be and everyone ate in silence and at record time as well.

          “O, pano?  Next time na lang ulit, mga kikay…”  Beauty was the first to leave after kissing all her friends.

          Matt and Enchong arrived at the same time, peering over their glasses to give a questioning look at Kim.  She shrugged her shoulders and said, “Di ko makontak si Ge, kanina pa.  Medyo worried na nga ako.”

          “Wag ka ngang ganyan,”  Matt scolded her.  “For all you know, baka nakatulog lang yon.  Halika na, ihahatid ka na namin ni Mel.”

          The three of them bid Enchong and Erich goodbye before piling up in Matt’s car.

          Meanwhile, Gerald has already arrived at his house.  He was feeling nauseous and he was sweating profusely.  He went straight to his bedroom and slouched on the bed without taking off any of his clothes including his shoes.  He thought of Kim just as darkness enveloped him.

          “Ge…Ge!  Ge, ano ba!  Gumising ka naman please….tinatakot mo ‘ko eh…Baby, please wake up…”

          Gerald slowly opened his eyes, trying to re-acquaint them with the brightness of the room.  He heard Kim’s voice from a distance and he frantically searched for her but he couldn’t find her…

          “Gerald!”  Kim shouted while forcefully tapping his cheeks to keep him awake.  He has already opened his eyes but there was no recognition of her.  He closed them again but Kim’s voice was getting louder and more frenzied. 

          “Baby?”  Kim heaved a sigh of relief as Gerald answered her.  She sniffled as she hugged him tightly.

          “Baby, ano’ng nangyari?  Tinakot mo ‘ko eh…Kala ko kung ano’ng nangyari na sa’yo…”  And tears began flowing freely down her cheeks.

          “I’m ok, medyo nahilo lang.  Who brought you home?  Sorry ha, di ko siguro narinig ang cellphone ko.”

          “It’s ok, baby…sa ‘yo ako mas nag-worry.  Ok ka na talaga?  May masakit ba sa’yo?”

          “Baby, I’m fine.  Don’t worry.  Kumain ka na ba?  Halika na, let’s eat, mukhang gutom ka na eh.  Magluluto pa sana ako, kaya lang di na kinaya ng powers ko eh.  Ano’ng gusto mo, order na lang tayo?”

          “Kahit ano…just stay with me.”  Kim leaned on his chest, holding him on the waist, as if he would be gone if she let go.

          “Baby, pano tayo o-order kung di ka bibitaw saken?”  Gerald smiled weakly at Kim.  He walked toward the couch with his one arm around her while the other reached for the wireless phone on top of the table.  He ordered Chinese food as Kim continued to sob quietly on his chest.

          “Kimmy, ano’ng problema?  Sorry I worried you, di ko sinasadya, ok?  Tahan na, please?”  He continued to her hair.

          “Di naman ako galit eh, natakot lang ako…akala ko kung napano ka na.  Di ko pala talaga kaya na mawala ka, Ge…  Isipin ko pa lang, mamamatay na ko sa sakit…Wag na wag mo ‘ko iiwan ha?  Next time na mag-bakasyon ka sa States, sasama na ‘ko, kahit ayaw mo.”

          “Sus…ako pa daw…ikaw nga ang masyadong workaholic eh.  Oo na, promise, I’ll bring you along wherever I go, just as long as you promise to bring me along kahit san pa ang TV shoot mo, deal?”

          “Deal…”  And they sealed it with a sweet but very deep kiss.

************************************************

          Kim and Gerald were having coffee at the entertenmaint room while watching PBB later that night when Gerald’s phone rang.

          “Hello?”  He answered.  “Hi, Direk…kumusta po?  Salamat nga po pala ulit for giving me and Kim a chance to see PBB house again.  Bakit po kayo napatawag?”

          “I want to talk to you and Kim about a possible double date with Jason and Melissa.”

          “Talaga po?  Sige po, on behalf of Kim, I’m already answering yes kasi po gusto din po nya yun eh.  Kelan po ba?”

          “Sa Sabado ng gabi.  Your handlers will call you with the details, ok?”

          “Ok po, thank you ulit.  Goodnight.”

          Kim waited for Gerald’s explanation.  He slouched further on the couch until his head was on her lap.  Then he repeated his conversation with Direk Lauren.

          “Wow!  Talaga?  Kelan daw?  San kaya gagawin?”  Kim’s excitement was very obvious, her child-like reaction made Gerald smile.

          “Wala pa details.  Let’s just wait for Ate Nhila or Ate Portia.  Kimmy, may question ako…”

          “Sige, wag lang Math ha?”  She smiled at him while her hands reached for his.

          “Sa movie natin, alin ang pinaka-gusto mong scene?  Yung totoo ha?”

          “Eeeeeeehhh, ayoko, nakakahiya…”

          “Sige na, tayo lang namang dalawa dito eh.”  Gerald coaxed her, his smile turning into a laugh as he saw her face turn red bit by bit.  “Parang alam ko na…”  He laughed as he tried to dock to avoid Kim’s playful wallop intended for the back of his head.  He caught her arms and held them with one of his.  “Kimmy, ano ba?  Ang pikon mo ha?”

          “Eh nakaka-asar ka eh…wala pa naman akong sinasabi, niloloko mo na ako…”  She pouted in such a cute way that Gerald couldn’t help but stare at her, smiling like an idiot simply because his girlfriend is being childish.

          “Ito naman, joke lang yon…love you baby…”

          “Yan…yan…dyan ka magaling!  Sa pambobola…hmmmp!”

          “Eh bakit ba kasi ayaw mo sagutin, ang simple lang naman ng tanong ko…o, sige, ako muna…Ang pinaka-gusto ko, tatlong scenes lang, ay apat pala…yung tatlong kissing scenes natin, saka yung lasing ako na sinasabi mo saken na ‘Akin ka na lang…”

          “Sinasabi ko na eh, talagang minamanyak mo ko…”  Kim teased back, knowing she would hit a nerve.

          “Baby, ayoko ng tinatakbo ng usapan natin ha…stop, ok?  Just tell me your favorite scene in the movie and quits na tayo…”

          “Hahaha…kita mo, takot ka pala eh…”

          Gerald just looked at her, suddenly becoming serious.  Kim stopped laughing when she saw that he wasn’t smiling anymore.  She sat on his lap and placed her arms around his neck before giving her answer to the original question, “Yung scene sa ibabaw ng firetruck when you were trying to win me back.  Feeling ko kasi mahal na mahal mo ‘ko dun.”

          He was still staring at her, as if quietly urging her to continue.

          “Sige na nga, di talaga ko makapag-sinungaling sa’yo, ‘no?  2nd lang yun.  Yung first eh yung scene na pinapahubad ko sa’yo yung towel ko, up to that scene na inalis mo yung towel…”  She hid her face at the crook of his neck.  “Kaya lang yun din yung pinaka-kinainisan ko…”

          “Go on…I’m listening.”

          “Kasi, dun sa taping, binabandera mo eh.  Kainis ka!  Tuwang-tuwa ka pa na pinagpe-pyestahan ang katawan mo!  Dapat akin lang yan eh…”

          “Wala naman naka-hawak saken eh, di ba iyo lang naman talaga ako…heart, body and soul?”