Chapter 39: Vacation Mode Part 2 (From Gensan to Manila to USA) – A Night to Remember

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

After the party in General Santos City, Gerald celebrated his 21st birthday again.  This time, it was a 1920s themed party, organized by the Kimerald World.  It was a much talked about celebration because not only was it done in style, it was also the 3rd celebration for his birthday, and Kim was still present.  In one of his interviews, Gerald commented that her presence made all three parties all the more meaningful.

          Soon, it was time to leave for their Heartthrobs and Friends Concert Tour in the US.  There wasn’t anything unusual in this trip, except probably for the constant request made by Zoe and Mommy Vangie for Gerald to stay in Missouri after the concert, to which he hasn’t given an answer yet.

          They arrived in New York on the 25th.  The concert was a huge success.  In between practices, the star magic artists tried to make the most of their working vacation.  And Kim and Gerald were no exceptions.  At one time, Kim went by herself to buy 12 pairs of shoes.  As it turned out, she couldn’t carry everything by herself back to the hotel as it was also starting to rain.  She called Gerald and her knight in shining armor came to her rescue.  They braved the streets of Manhattan, carrying 12 boxes of shoes, and made a dash for their hotel on foot.  It was an experience both of them would never forget.

          Three days before they were due back in Manila, Gerald received a phone call from Zoe.  It was 5 am, New York time.

          “RJ?  We need to talk.”

          “Ate, I’m in New York, you’re in Missouri.  Can’t we talk over the phone?”

          “No, you have to come home.”

          “Ha?  Ate, baka masisante ako, technically, I’m still working, you know.”

          “RJ, listen to me.  If you don’t come home, you might never ever be able to work for even a second in your life.  Why?  Because you’d be dead by then!”

          “Ate….”

          “You listen, young man, I swallowed my pride, I compromised my career, I even bent my work ethics, just to get you those aortic valves!  Now, all you can do in exchange for that is go home.  Please?”  Zoe started crying on the other end, and Gerald couldn’t say anything.

          “Ate, please don’t do this to me…”

          “No, don’t you dare do this to us, RJ!  We are desperate to keep you alive, and here you are acting nonchalantly.”

          “It’s not as if I do not want to recover, I do, believe me, but what am I going to tell Kim?”

          “Kim na naman?  Can’t you just tell her point blank that you’re dying and you desperately need to be on my operating table within the next 48 hours or else she wouldn’t have a boyfriend anymore?

          “Have you talked with Mr. M and Ma’am Charo about this?”

          “Everything’s been taken cared of, except for you, you stubborn little twit!”

          “Ok, ok, I’ll go home, but give me at least another day or two with Kimmy.  Please?”

          “Just a day, RJ.  That’s all I can give you, masama pa ang loob ko nyan.”

          “Thanks, ate…you’re the best.”

          “And you’re most definitely the worst person to be in love, little brother.  But, in all fairness to you, any girl would die to have someone like you for a boyfriend….Sige na, go enjoy your day with Kim.  I expect you here day after tomorrow.  Mommy Vangie will fly in today.”

          “Thanks, ate.  Bye…”

          Gerald remained lying on his bed, thinking of how this turn of event would affect his relationship with Kim.  He knew in his heart that he wouldn’t have the guts to tell her about his condition.  It would surely break her heart.

          He reached for his phone and dialed Mr. M’s number.  It rang three times before it was answered.

          “Yes, Gerald?  Have you talked with Dr. Cruz?”

          “Good afternoon, Mr. M.  Yes po, I was just on the phone with ate Zoe and she told me that everything’s been taken cared of.”

          “So, kelan ka lilipad puntang Missouri?”

          “Yun nga po ang itinawag ko sa inyo ngayon.  Pwede po ba’ng mag-request?”

          “If I can afford it, why not?”

          “Sir, please don’t tell Kim.”

          “Oh my God, you mean she still doesn’t know?”

          “Hindi ko po kayang sabihin eh.  Although I left a letter with Fred Payawan.  Ibibigay nya yun kay Kim during my operation.”

          “Eh, ano’ng sasabihin natin kay Kim ngayon?  Of course, magtatanong yun kung bakit maiiwan ka sa Amerika…”

          “Yun nga po, baka pwedeng sabihin nyo na lang na may minor endorsement deal  ako sa Missouri, kaya I have to stay.  If she insists that she wants to tag along, sabihin nyo na lang po na marami pa syang commitment dyan sa Pilipinas.”

          “Is this really how you want it to be?”

          “Opo.  Pasensya na po, sir, pati kayo magsisinungaling pa kay Kim, just for my sake.”

          “Walang problema dun, Gerald.  I’m just worried about the two of you.”

          “Thank you po.  Just pray for me.”

          “Noon pa, Ge, noon pa.  Please get well.  We still need you here.”

          “Salamat po sa lahat lahat.  I owe you so much.”

          “Don’t mention it.  Just get well, quits na tayo.”

          “Pipilitin ko po.  Good day, Mr. M.”

          Gerald hung up the phone with a heavy heart.  Psyching himself up, he jumped up and headed for the shower, it’s going to be a very long day….

          Kim woke up to the ringing of the phone.  She peered at her bedside clock and found out it was only 8:00 am.  She answered the phone drowsily.

          “Hi beautiful…Good morning!”

          “Babe?  Ang aga mo nagising ah!  May na-miss ba ako?”

          “Wala naman, ikaw ang na-miss ko, kaya nag-paalam ako kay Ate Nhila at kay Ate Portia na mamamasyal tayong dalawa ngayon.  Pumayag naman kasi tapos na rin naman yung shows.  Ano, sama ka?”

          “Talaga?  Sige, san tayo punta?”

          “Bahala na, basta magkasama tayo…”

          “Sige, wait for me.  Magbibihis lang ako.  Give me 30 minutes, ok?”

          “Sige, hintayin na kita sa restaurant sa baba, order na rin ako ng brunch.”

          “K. See you later.  Mwah!”

          Gerald went down to the hotel restaurant and found their handlers already seated at one table.  He sat beside Nhila.  The two just looked at him, waiting for whatever he was going to say.  They have already been informed by Mr. M about the arrangements.

          “Ate Nhils, Ate Portia, alam nyo na?”

          The two nodded simultaneously, still not trusting their voices to say anything.

          “Ok lang ba, mamamasyal kami ni Kimmy today?”

          “Oo naman, nasabi na rin ni Mr. M.”  Portia answered.

          “Ge, promise mo samen, gagaling ka ha?”  Nhila was already teary-eyed, but was still trying her best to hide her tears.

          “Promise, ate.  Alagaan nyo si Kim habang wala ako ha?”

          Portia couldn’t control her sobs anymore.  She hugged Gerald in answer, just nodding without saying anything.  Nhila joined them in a group hug, until all their faces were already tear-stained.

          “Uy, wag kayo ganyan, baka dumating na si Kimmy.”  Gerald consoled the two handlers who have been like olders sisters to both him and Kim.

          “Wag mo kaming iiwan ha?”  Nhila pursued.

          “Ate, just pray for me and I’ll be ok, I promise.  Basta, promise nyo rin na hinding hindi nyo sasabihin kay Kim.”

          “Hindi sasabihin saken na ano?”  Kim suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

          “Ha? Ah, eh….kwan…”  Gerald stammered.

          “Naku, ayan, mabubuking na ang surprise ni Ge!”  Portia interjected for him.

          Gerald looked at her in utmost appreciation.

          “Sus, surprise na naman?  Tama ka na nga, Geraldo…kaya tayo parating natitsismis eh…”

          “Sus, kala mo naman ako lang…mas grabe ka pa nga mag-regalo.”

          “O, sya, bago pa kayo magka-meron ng first ever fight eh kumain na kayo at nang maka-alis na kayo,”  Nhila intervened.

          “O, halika na, baka magalit si Ate Nhila, bawiin yung day-off natin.”  And the two went to the buffet table to get their food as the two handlers followed them with their eyes.  Mixed emotions engulfed Nhila and Portia as they watched their wards in their usual sweetness mode.  Soon enough, tears were flowing again.

          “Halika na, Portia, baka maabutan nila tayo dito na umiiyak.”

          “Pa’no ko sasabihin sa alaga ko ‘to, Nhils?  Kawawa naman si Kim.”

          “We can’t do anything but pray that the operation will be successful.  Pray harder, you never know, you might not have to tell Kim after all.”

          “Sana nga, Nhils.  Sana nga.”  And they walked towards the elevator just as Kim and Gerald went back to the table, already caught in a world only the two of them understood.

          After eating, Gerald asked Kim where she wanted to go.  It was almost 9:30.

          “Surprise me…ayan, may permiso ka dyan,”  Kim laughed heartily, unknowing that Gerald’s heart is being torn just watching her laugh, starting to miss the sound of her voice already.

          “Okay, let’s see…just wait here, ok.  Give me 5 minutes.”

          “Sige, magde-dessert lang ako…”

          Gerald went to make the arrangements before going back to see if Kim has finished her dessert.

          “All set?  Let’s go, princess, your carriage awaits.”

          “Feeling prince charming ka na naman…”  Kim teased Gerald.

          “Of course, basta kasama ka, prinsipe ako dahil ikaw ang aking prinsesa…”

          “Yuck, Geraldo, ang baduy mo ha!”

          Gerald feigned a hurt expression before answering with a pout on his lips, “mami-miss mo rin ang kabaduyan ng boyfriend mo, promise.”

          “Sus, at nagdrama pa…halika na, prinsipe pogi, maaga pa at marami pa tayong gagawin…”  She took him by the hand and led him out of the restaurant and out of the hotel where their limo awaits.

First Stop – Lady Liberty

          Kim wasn’t expecting an river cruise but that was exactly what she got.  They were dropped off by the limo in front of the pier.  In a matter of minutes, Kim and Gerald were already getting on board the ferry.  She was waiting for the other passengers to get on board when she realized the boat was already moving.

          “Oh my God, Ge, tayo lang ba ang pasahero?”

          “For my princess, an exclusive tour of Liberty Island.”

          “Wow naman, Ge, ang mahal kaya nito, dollars pa!”

          “Wag mo naman sirain yung moment ko.  Ikaw talaga, masyadong kuripot.  Parati ka na lang nag-compute.  Wag ka nga mag-convert.  Pera lang yan ‘no.  Ang mahalaga, magkasama tayo, kahit mamulubi pa ‘ko.”

          “Neknek mo, tapos ako naman ang magpapakain sa’yo, hahaha…”  Kim laughed at her own joke, unaware of Gerald’s serious expression.

          Soon, the Liberty Island came into view.  The ferry docked and the two disembarked.  They were like kids truly excited to see something that they only saw in history books.  They went around the island and took pictures of each other and had their pictures taken also. 

          After an hour of sight-seeing, Kim and Gerald decided to eat before going back.  Gerald brought her to the food kiosk selling really big and juicy hamburgers.  He got one and they shared the treat as usual.

          “Grabe naman ang laki nitong burger na ‘to!”

          “Ok lang yan, hati naman tayo eh.  Saka you need to eat.  Ayokong mahimatay ang prinsesa ko dahil sa gutom.”

          “Sus, OA ka ha…o, open your mouth…ah….”  And Kim fed Gerald a morsel of the juicy burger.  Gerald did the same.  Anyone watching them would think they were newlyweds spending their honeymoon.

          Half an hour later, the burger as big as a plate was all gone, Kim and Gerald started retracing their way back to the ferry.

Second Stop – Central Park

          The Limousine dropped them off at the main entrance of the Central Park.  Kim saw a uniformed driver waiting by a horse-driven carriage.  Gerald led her towards the carriage.  As she mounted, she caught sight of the big boquet of pink roses lying on the seat.  She looked at Gerald questioningly.  He just shrugged and smiled impishly.

          Kim took the flowers and searched for a card.  She found one on the side.  She opened it and read what was written:

          “My time in this world is as uncertain as time itself, but my love for you is eternal.  It goes beyond time, distance, even life itself.  Only death can keep me away from you, but even from life after death, I will still love you and wait until the time that we can be together again.  I love you so much, Kim.”

             Kim didn’t realize she was already crying until her eyes met Gerald’s.

          “Babe?  Ang ganda naman ng message mo.  Kaya lang ang lungkot din.  May problema ba?”

          “Hay naku, Kimberly, kahit kelan, ang galing ng timing mo.  I’m declaring my undying love for you and here you are asking me if anything’s wrong.”

          “Hoy, Anderson, kilala kita.  Ini-ingles mo lang ako pag nate-tense ka.  Magsabi ka ng totoo…”

          The carriage was slowly making its way around the park, the horse galloping in time with the swaying of the cherry blossoms.

          “Baby, let’s make the most of this day, ok?  Minsan-minsan na nga lang tayo makapag-bakasyon, aaksayahin pa ba natin sa pagtatalo?  Come on…”

          “Ikaw kasi eh…”

          “Mahal na mahal kita, Kim.  Yan lang ang kailangan mong tandaan.  Ngayon, bukas at sa habang panahon.  Ikaw lang…”  He was staring at her like never before.  He was almost teary-eyed, but Kim didn’t get the chance to really see because the sun’s brightness forced her to squint her eyes.

          “Mahal na mahal din kita, Ge.  Sorry ha?  Hanggang ngayon, hindi ko pa rin maamin sa media na tayo na nga.  In time, alam kong mangyayari ‘yun, naiintindihan mo naman, di ba?”

          “Oo naman.  Don’t worry.  I will wait even if it takes forever.”

          “Talaga lang ha…”

          The carriage is now crossing the bridge where a scene from Home Alone 2 was shot.

          “Babe, dito nag-shoot ng scene ng Home Alone 2.  Pinanood natin yun, di ba?”

          “Ay, oo…yung sa ilalim ng bridge?  Wow…isipin mo ‘yun, dati napapanood lang natin, ngayon nandito tayo.  Parang nakakatuwang isipin ano?  Ang laki ng pinagbago ng buhay natin simula nung makasama tayo sa PBB.”

          “Alam mo, matagal ko nang gustong                                                                            sabihin ‘to, kaya lang, baka tawanan mo na naman ako.”

          “Ano ‘yun?”

          “Para talagang destiny na ang nag-decide na magkita tayo at magkasama ano?  Ikaw, gusto mo lang makita sa TV, ako naman, nagkataon lang na nakita ako ni Joross.  Pero from there, parang sobrang parallel na lahat.  Pareho tayong half-breed, parehong galing sa broken family, parehong bisaya, we like the same things, we seldom fight about anything…”

          “Nag-i-english ka na naman…”

          “Wag na kasi pansinin…’to naman, nag-e-emote ako eh…”

          “Ah, ok…sige, continue…”

          “Niloloko mo na ‘ata ako eh…”

          “Di ah…sige na, tuloy…”

          “Wala, naisip ko lang…masaya ako na nakilala kita, na minahal kita.  Ikaw?  Masaya ka ba?”

          “Wow, heavy talaga ha?  Pero sige, game…Ge, kung talagang gusto mong malaman, masayang masaya ako na nakilala kita at minahal kita.  Wala na akong makikitang kagaya mo, wag lalaki ang ulo ha?  Pero yun ang totoo.  At wala na rin akong gugustuhing makasama sa buhay kung hindi ikaw.”

          “Salamat, Kimmy.  Sana nga…sana nga…”

          By then, the carriage has already reached the entrance where they came from.  The dismounted and Gerald gave the driver a tip before leading Kim back to the limousine.

Last Stop – Top of the Rock Observation Deck

          The limo stopped in front of the Rockefeller Center.  Gerald got off first before helping Kim out of the car.

          “Ano’ng ginagawa natin dito?”  Kim asked, not quite comprehending where they were.  It was almost 7 in the evening.

          “Basta, halika na….”  He led her by the hand and went inside the glass door.

          The guard smiled at them and Gerald showed him an ID-sort of-pass and they were led to the elevators.  Gerald urged Kim inside and soon they were on their way up to the top.

          When the elevator doors opened, Kim was surprised even more to find the place empty, except for a gorgeous table set for two.  A candelabra was lit, the dim light dancing like a firefly from afar.

          “Wow, Ge…sobra na’to…bakit ang dami mong sorpresa ngayon?  Kinakabahan na talaga ako.  Parang merong mangyayari…”

          “Wala…ikaw naman, masyado kang nerbyosa…halika na.”  He held her hand in his and they walked slowly towards the table.  As soon as they were seated, Kim let her gaze roam over the beautiful view of New York City.

          “Ang ganda naman dito…tamang-tama medyo lumulubog na ang araw…”

          A waiter approached with a bucket containing an ice-cold bottle of Asti Martini and poured them each a glass.

          Another waiter appeared, carrying a bowl of soup.  He poured some on their bowls and the two enjoyed the delicious soup.  As they finished the hot treat, the first entrée arrived.  And three others followed.  Dinner was served.

          Kim was enjoying a scoop of ice cream, the dessert she requested, when out of nowhere, she heard a violin playing the introduction of their favorite song.

          She looked at Gerald and found him standing in front of her.

          “May I have this dance, princess?”

          “Sure…’

          Gerald encircled his arms around Kim’s waist, as if he was afraid to ever let her go.  They danced to the rhythm, oblivious to the world below.

          Kim looked up to Gerald and found him staring at her for the nth time that day.

          His lips were slowly making their way toward hers.  She closed her eyes in silent anticipation.  When their lips met, Kim felt the sparks fly as Gerald urged to open and fully receive his invasive tongue.

          Soon, the two were lip-locked, catching each other’s breath with their own, lost in time, in a world exclusively their own.

          “I love you, Kim…”

          “I love you too, Ge…”

          Gerald led her to the elevators and she followed without saying anything.  At the entrance, the limo was waiting for them.  As soon as they got on, it made its way toward 43rd Street and stopped in front of The Ritz.

          They got off and Gerald gave the driver a tip before taking Kim by the shoulders and leading her towards the elevator of the hotel.

          They stopped on the 18th floor and Gerald egged her on.  When they came to room number 1803, Gerald inserted the key on the slot and opened the door.  As soon as he closed it, Kim encircled her arms on his neck and started kissing him passionately while taking backward steps toward the bed.

          They fell down on the satin sheets together, lips still locked in an unending battle of tongues.  Gerald slowly broke the connection, only to resume with her nape.  He trailed small kisses down her neck, until he reached the middle of her s.  He took one erect in his mouth while slowly giving the other a rubdown.

          Kim’s hands found Gerald’s belt and frantically tried to unbuckle it.  He lifted his hips a bit to help her unfasten his jeans.  She slid his zipper down and discovered he was commando.  She immediately wrapped her hands around his length in frantic anticipation of the heaven it promised. 

Gerald slowly took Kim’s grip off his shaft and pinned her hands to her side, letting her feel his pressing against her pelvic bone, as if already seeking entry to the vee of her thighs.  She gasped as another surge of desire seeped through her.

          Gerald took his shirt off before helping Kim off her shorts, leaving only her flimsy undies.  He placed his palms underneath her back to support her while she took her loose tank top over her head, taking it off completely.

          As soon as she was freed from her clothes, she wrapped her legs around Gerald’s waist while her hands cupped his bottom, as if urging him inside of her, while he continued where he left off.

          Gerald gave her a she would never forget, her all over, from head to foot.  She was so aroused she hardly noticed the guttural sound coming from her that made Gerald shiver all over, desire consuming him like never before.  Her continued purring stirred him senseless.

          Kim felt the excitement and anticipation stirring deep in her belly.  She wanted Gerald and she was ready for him.  She urged him with her hips, trying desperately to reach the heights of pleasure before their dance began.

          Gerald felt Kim’s urgency while he was trying to hold back his own.  He wanted this to be perfect for her.  Once again, he trailed his lips down from her s, to her belly, to the very core of her heated desire.  His warm breath seeped through the delicate fabric of her .  He slowly took it off, exposing Kim’s smooth femininity.  Continuing his exploration, he her inner thighs, slowly making his way to the core of her whole being.  When his tongue found her , he played with it until her juices flowed.  Kim’s lithe body was already wriggling uncontrollably with feverish longing.

          Slowly mounting her, Gerald settled his weight on her before guiding his rock-hard member inside of her.  His s were slow at first gradually taking her deeper until they could both no longer contain the urgency they felt.  They soared together to the highest levels of until all their energies have been spent.  They shuddered as they felt Gerald’s release inside of her. 

Gerald rolled over and lay beside her.  Kim smiled at him before giving in to the drowsiness she felt.  He propped his elbows to support his head while he continued to stare at her face, as if memorizing every line.

They made love several times into the night, each time different from all the rest. It was truly a day most memorable to both of them.