Chapter 25: Double Date

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“Friday night it was late
I was walking you home
we got down to the gate
and I was dreaming of the night
Would it turn out right?
How to tell you girl
I wanna build my world around you
Tell you that it's true
I wanna make you understand
I'm talkin' about a lifetime plan”

************************************************************************************************************************************************

Big Brother:  “Jason, pumunta ka sa confession room”

Jason:  “Ngayon na po?

BB:  “Ngayon na.”

Inside the confession room:

BB;  “Kung pagbibigyan kita ngayon sa isang kahilingan, ano’ng hihingin mo?”

Jason:  “Kahit po ano?”

BB:  “Oo.”

Jason:  “Pwede ko po ba’ng mai-date si Melai?”

BB;  “Pwede, bakit hindi?  Pero paghihirapan mo ang kahilingang iyan.”

Jason:  “Sige po, kahit ano…”

BB;  “Malalaman mo sa tamang panahon kung ano ang gagawin mo, sa ngayon, paghandaan mo ang pagdarausan ng date ninyo sa House B.  Kailangan, maisa-ayos mo ang lugar nang walang makaka-alam sa kahit na sino’ng housemate.  Naiintindihan mo ba?”

Jason:  “Opo. Salamat po.”

BB:  “Sige, makakalabas ka na.  Aasahan ko na magiging matagumpay ka sa gagawin mo’ng ito upang maging maganda ang date ninyo ni Melissa.”

Jason:  “Hayaan po ninyo at pipilitin kong mai-ayos ang lahat.”

************************************************************************************************************************************************

The housemates were curious why Jason was being punished.  He had to clean the other house by himself.  All of them were forbidden to go with him, much less take a look at what he was doing.  Or so they thought.  Jason couldn’t think of a good excuse why he had to go back and forth from House A to House B without the housemates asking questions.  Little did they know that he was preparing for a very big date.

          As promised, all the things he requested from Big Brother has already been delivered to the other house.  The set consisted of a Moroccan-inspired tent-like gazebo.  From the outside, it looked like an ordinary tent.  The idea was to keep the suspense until they are already inside.  The tent used wasn’t the usual camping tent.  Rather, it looked like a carousel, though shaped more like a square than a round one, with flaps on the sides.  Jason requested for rubber mattings with thick, colorful carpets.  At the center, a low wooden table was set with fine, colorful silverware. Swags of equally colorful cloths lay overhead, decorated with tiny white lights that looked more like twinkling stars at night.  Colored Moroccan lanters with aromatic candles were scattered on the floor, giving the place a romantic ambience.  Instead of chairs, big throwpillows were placed.  In the middle of the table, an artfully created centerpiece was held by a similarly designed vase.

Jason requested for a boquet of red roses and Champagne on ice which completed his date setting.  It was already late when he returned to the other house, tired but definitely contented with what he had accomplished.

Big Brother asked the staff of PBB to enhance the decoration Jason had prepared.  As an after-thought, he gave instructions that the setting be made for four persons, and that another boquet of roses, pink ones, be brought for the date.

The next day, Jason woke up early, and asked Big Brother if he could talk to him at the Confession room.  Once inside, he shyly asked Big Brother if he could request for formal attires for Melai and himself.  Big Brother told him to go to the storage room and he would find what he was asking for.  With the excitement of a schoolboy about to start his first day in school, Jason went as he was told.  He couldn’t believe what he saw.  A black tuxedo with a matching light blue, long-sleeved undershirt and a royal blue bowtie.  Melai’s periwinkle tube dress has scattered tulle appliqués strewn with small glittering faux Swarovski stones.  There was a two-inch, peep-toe silver sandals and a shiny periwinkle shawl to match.  Now, his only problem was how to make Melai agree to go on a date with him.

Jason went out of the storage room to look for Melisa.  She was by the pool, talking with Mariel.

“Pwede ka ba makausap?  Excuse lang, Mariel ha?”

“Sure.  Melai, sa loob lang ako,”  Mariel stood up and smiled at Jason.

“O, bakit?”

“Malapit na tayo lumabas ano?”

“Obvious ba?  Ikaw talaga, andami mong pasakalye, ano ba talaga’ng sasabihin mo?”

“Grabe ka, di ka makahintay…”

“Sus, maghintay pa daw uy!  Ganun din yun no?  Ano na?”

“Pwede ka ba maka-date?”

“Ha?  Seryoso ka uy!  Ano’ng date-date and sinasabi mo?  Dito?  Oke ka lang?”

“Basta, ako’ng bahala.  Pumayag ka lang, sige na, bago man lang tayo magkahiwalay…”

“O, sige.  Basta wag nila malaman ha?  Sigurado tuksuhin tayo ng mga yan.”

“Sige.”

“Teka, kelan yun?”

“Mamayang gabi, punta ka sa storage room ng mga 8:00, hintayin kita dun…”

“hindi ba tayo mapagalitan sa gagawin natin?”

“hindi nga eh, ang kulit mo!”

“Oo na, ito naman, nagtatanong lang, makulit na daw agad.  Di kita samahan dyan, nakita mo!”

“O, joke lang, ito naman, di ka na mabiro.”

“O, sya, sya, yan lang sabihin mo?”

“Ano’ng gusto mo marinig, I lab yu?”

“Kapal mo uy!  Dyan ka na nga!”  And Melai marched toward the door, leaving Jason who couldn’t take his eyes off the kikay of Gensan.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

          Kim sported a Manuel Mota light pink silk chiffon dress that embodied romance with its high halter neckline and soft serpentine silhouette with a ruffled detail on the blouse.  A lilac-hued gathered belt completed the ensemble with linear ruffles that extended towards the seam of the skirt, ending at the hemline.  She wore a Guisseppe Zanotti purple peep-toes with silver details.  The only jewelry she wore was a pair of Parentesi white gold earrings with amethyst.  Her silver crystal clutch was by Carlo Fellini.  She wore her hair in a simple half-up, half-down style with her wavy locks tucked behind her ears.  She was absolutely stunning!

          Gerald wore a blue suit and lilac dress shirt by Masimmo Dutti with a matching purple “Piazza Di Spagna” Bulgari tie.  His shiny, black Ferragamos completed his ensemble.  He wore the watch Kim gave him at the Star Magic Ball last year.  It has become his most favorite dress watch.  Before going out of Ken’s room, he sprayed both his wrists and his temples with the BLV Pour Homme Eau de Toilette.  Kim loved this scent on him.

          After checking his appearance on the full-length mirror, he went to the living room and waited for his princess.

          Kim turned to leave Gerald’s room then turned back as she remembered something.  She opened her overnight bag and searched until she found her BLV perfume.  She sprayed a generous amount on her temples, then her wrists, and finally the inside of her blouse.  Now, she was ready to leave.

          Gerald stared at the breathtaking vision in pink that was descending the stairs at that very moment.  He felt his heart bursting with pride as he looked at his beloved Kimmy.  How beautiful she’s grown, and she was his.

          She smiled as she saw him waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs.  His piercing gaze coupled with his pin-up boy smile melted her heart.  She couldn’t believe how lucky she was for having an almost perfect boyfriend.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************** 

Kim and Gerald were sitting at the back of the van which brought them from ABS-CBN to the PBB House.  Gerald held Kim’s hand in his, both of them lost in their own thoughts and unaware of the knowing smiles being exchanged by their handlers and the PBB staff assigned to assist them in getting inside the house.      

“They are the most perfect couple I have ever seen,” commented Portia.

“Yes, they really look good together.  Sometimes, I can’t even imagine Gerald without Kim or Kim without Gerald.  It seems like they were really made for each other,” Nhila answered without taking her eyes off their two wards.

“Imagine, they are the only loveteam I know which isn’t forced by the management.  It was as if destiny stepped in, the moment they got comfortable with each other, and you’d think neither one wanted to let go, even up to now.”

“Haaay….sana nga maging mag-balae na tayo…”

The PBB staff motioned for Portia and Nhila to call the Kimerald’s attention.  It was time to get inside the house.

“O, kayo’ng dalawang lovebirds dyan, game na…”  Portia couldn’t help but tease them.  “Tama na ang sweetness at baka langgamin na tayo dito.”

Kim and Gerald blushed but didn’t let go of each other’s hands.  They walked together, hand in hand, amidst the growing crowd at the premises of the PBB house.

“Ready, baby?”  Gerald whispered in her ear.

“Whenever you are, babe.”  She smiled at him, her nervousness fading as he squeezed her hand in assurance that everything would be okay.

“O, Kim, Ge, here are your lapels.  They’re not yet.  As soon as you enter House B, go straight to the back where you will find a tent.  Get inside and sit down.  Jason and Melai will join you later.  You have at least 15 minutes to yourselves before the cameras inside the tent start rolling,  You can turn on the lapels once Jason and Melai have entered the tent,”  the PBB staff smiled at them, raising her brows in a good-natured teasing.

“Ok, thanks.”  Gerald answered, smiling back at her.

“O, o…pa-cute ka na naman,” Kim said in a hushed tone, with a matching pinch on his love handle.

“Aray…baby naman, masakit yun ha?  Bakit ka ba nangungurot?”

“Eh nagpa-pa-cute ka dun sa girl eh…kasama mo ‘ko ha?  Behave ka…”

“Hindi naman eh.  Ano ka ba?  She was just being helpful and I appreciate her being nice to us.”

“Hmmmp!  Bahala ka…”

“O, sige na, sige na.  Hindi ko na kakausapin, ok.  But next time she appears, you talk to her, baka sabihin naman, binabastos natin sya, ok?”

“Ewan ko sa’yo!”  Kim pouted, walking ahead of him.

“Kimmy, wait!”  Gerald caught up with her and took her hand again, clasping it tightly so she wouldn’t let go.  “Promise, di na ‘ko magsasalita, ikaw na lang, ok?  Wag ka na magalit….sige ka, mahalata ka nila…”

Kim didn’t answer.  She sighed, but didn’t force Gerald to let her hand go.

As soon as they got inside, they looked for the tent and went inside.

“Di ba sabi nung staff may 15 minutes pa tayo before mag-on yung cameras at lapels?”  Gerald asked Kim.

“Oo, bakit?”

“Pa-kiss naman o…”

“Tumigil ka, Geraldo…”

“Sige na, isa lang…”

“Ayoko…”

“Ayaw mo?”  Gerald started running his hand up and down Kim’s spine, making her blush as her mind took a different direction.

“Uy, wag ka naman ganyan,”  it was almost a plead. 

“Sige, behave na ‘ko…sorry po, I just got carried away with the ambiance.  It’s so romantic.  Ganitong-ganito yung na-imagine ko na date natin sa beach eh…kaya lang, dun sa imagination ko, naka-two piece ka…string bikini with matching top.  Madaling i-untie.”  Gerald’s expression was serious, as if he was really imagining what he was describing.

Kim felt hot as she realized where Gerald’s monologue was heading.

“Sshhh…wag ka maingay, baka naririnig na tayo, ano ka ba?”

Gerald looked at her, and stopped talking.  He was simply staring at her.  Then with a sigh, he turned his attention on the candles on the floor, scattered around the table. 

Soon, Jason and Melai came in.  Melai shrieked both in delight and surprise!

“Oh my God, oh my God, Kimerald!” 

“Bawal daw mag-bisaya ha?”  Jason reminded the three.

In the next hour, the foursome ate the delicious dinner courtesy of Big Brother, and shared stories of their adventures inside the house.  Jason got really curious about Kim’s and Gerald’s relationship or lack of.

“Ano ba talaga kayo’ng dalawa?  Yung totoo…di na uso ngayon ang pa-deny-deny.  Tingnan nyo kami…mahal ko ‘yan…kahit pakipot, alam ko, mahal din nya ako…”

“Aysus, grabe ka-assuming ha…”  Melai scolded Jason.  “Wag ka nga pakialamanin…hayaan mo sila Kim at Gerald kung ano man meron sila…tsismoso ka eh…”

“Di naman, curious lang…”

Gerald smiled as he remembered how happy he and Kim were inside the house.  He started to share their story with the two housemates.

“Yung loveteam namin, it actually started inside this house…We were doing the dishes, and we just discovered how much we enjoyed each other’s company.  Yun simula nun, inseparable na kami…up to now, ganun pa rin…”

“Wow, ang saya naman….pero ang pinaka-gusto ko, yung mga kilitian nyo sa sala…saka parang masyado kayong nag-tutugma… yung ano ba, magtinginan lang, kilig na…”  Melisa commented, still feeling starstruck with the two very famous celebrities in front of her.

“Ang sweet nyo talaga, kahit noon pa dito sa bahay saka sa rest house ni Kuya,” Jason added.  “Samin nga sa Mindoro, ang gusto ng lahat, kayo na ang magkatuluyan sa totoong buhay…ako, kahit crush ko si Kim, botong-boto ako sa’yo, bok!”  The Boy Astig ng Mindoro even gave Gerald a salute coupled with a very wide grin.

“Salamat, Jason.  Sana nga, kami na until the end…ipagdasal nyo ha?”  He requested the Melason loveteam without even glancing at Kim’s direction.  She didn’t know what to make of Gerald’s actions and the conversation he’s having with the two housemates.

“Sus naman, echosero ka talaga, Ge…baka maniwala ang dalawang ‘to ha?”  Kim tried to refute Gerald’s comment with her own.

“Bakit Kim? Di mo ba lab si Gerald?”  Melisa really had to ask this question, tonight of all nights.

“Ha, ah, eh…Uy, Melai ha?  Intriga yan…hamo na, ‘day, amin na lang ‘yun ha?”  Kim shyly urged the other girl and conveniently docked the incriminating question.

Melai looked at Jason awkwardly, not knowing what to make of the situation.  She unconsciously has put Kim on the spot and she felt that it was a mistake.

“Eh kayo, ano na ba ang status n’yo?”  Gerald asked after an uncomfortable millisecond of silence, and was able to resolve the dilemma of both girls.

“Eto eh, ayaw pa akong sagutin, pakipot pa!  Pag nainis ako, maghahanap na ako ng iba.”  Jason’s complaint made Gerald smile wanly.

“Pare, wag ganyan.  Dapat may pasensya ka.  Tingnan mo ako, it’s been 4 years, pero eto, naghihintay pa rin.  Hangga’t kaya, tira-tira!”  Gerald borrowed Jasmine’s favorite line in My Girl just to prove his point to Jason.  He understood perfectly what the other guy’s been going through.  Hasn’t he been in the same situation just before he left for the US?

“Ewan ko, pare, siguro talagang mahal mo lang si Kim kaya nagtitiis ka.  Ako, hindi ko alam kung hanggang kelan.  Di ko kasi ugaling ipilit ang sarili ko sa ayaw naman saken,”  Jason retorted, obviously trying to make Melai take the bait and admit in front of Kim and Gerald how she feels for him.

“Aysus, at nag-drama pa ito.  Hoy, Jason, mahiya ka nga kay Gerald.  Ikumpara ba ang sarili, hmmp!”  Melai was starting to feel offended with what Jason was saying.

“Di ko naman sinasabing kasing-gwapo ako ni Gerald.  Ang pinag-uusapan namin, yung feelings namin sa inyo…Saka, ito, the best talaga ‘to, di ko kayang pantayan.  Imagine, sa dami ng mga bebot na may gusto sa kanya, loyalista pa rin kay Kim.”  Jason and Melai seemed to be starting a word war, and Kim and Gerald didn’t have any idea what to do about it.

“O, wag na kayo mag-away.  Pati ba naman dito, kami pa rin ang magiging dahilan ng away…please, tama na ha?”  Kim interjected.  “Teka, Jason, bukod kay Cathy, Sam at dito kay Melai, sino pa ba’ng alam mo na may crush kay Ge?”

“Hoy, Kimberly, akala ko ba umaawat ka?  Eh bakit ako naman ang nilalagyan mo ng issue?”  Gerald asked her unbelievingly.

“Di naman, nagtatanong lang.  Masama ba magtanong?”  She replied and turned to Jason, “sige na, sino pa?”

“Naku, Jason, wag na wag kang sasagot at patay na naman ako nito paglabas dito….”

“Nabasa ko lang naman, sabi ni Ruffa Mae Quinto, gusto daw nya sa mga bagets ngayon, si Gerald.”

“Uy, bok, bago yan ah…totoo?”

“Ayun, aayaw-ayaw pa raw, pumapalakpak naman ang tenga….”

Suddenly, Big Brother’s voice was heard over the speakers.

“Jason, pwede na kayong kumain kasabay ang ating mga bisita.”

“Ok po, Kuya.”  Jason stood up and went inside the storage room to get the food that was prepared for the four of them.  He set them on the table and motioned the three to dig in.

Gerald took Kim’s plate and slowly filled it with the food that he knew to be among Kim’s favorites.  As soon as the plate was filled, he took his and again filled it with food.

Melai and Jason noticed that the two guests were sharing plates even if they each have one of their own.  It sent shivers up Melai’s spine, thinking that maybe, just maybe, there’s some hint of truth to what the reporters were saying….

After the hearty dinner, Big Brother asked the foursome to get out of the tent.  They were surprised to find a wooden dancefloor just beside the tent.  There was also a not-so-big mirror ball at one corner, hanging from the rooftop.  Mini-spotlights of different colors were focused on the ball, creating a kaleidoscope of shadows.  A very soft music was playing on the background.

Then, a very familiar song started to play.

“Kim, may I have this dance?  I believe this is our song….”  And with that, he took her hand and guided her to the center of the dancefloor.

This could've been just another day But instead we're standing here No need for words
It's all been said In the way you hold me near I was alone on this journey 
You came along to comfort me Everything I want in life
Is right here 'Cause This is not your ordinary
No ordinary love I was not prepared enough To fall so deep in love 
This is not your ordinary No ordinary love”

            “Ay, naiinggit ako…Ang sweet-sweet talaga nila ano?  Haay, nakaka-inlove…”  
Melisa watched her two idols in awe.
 
“You were the first to touch my heart Made everything right again 
With your extraordinary love I get so weak when you look at me I get lost inside your eyes 
Sometimes the magic is hard to believe But you're here before my very eyes 
You brought joy to my world Set me so free I didn't want you to understand 
You're every breath that I breathe This is not your ordinary No ordinary love 
I was not prepared enough To fall so deep in love This is not your ordinary No ordinary love”
 
            Kim and Gerald held each other, obviously lost in a world of their own.  
Suddenly, they were transported back in time and it was again the year 2006.  
Lost in their thoughts, they both went down memory lane, each of them remembering 
the times they spent together and the good times that they had.
            
            Soon, Gerald’s eyes were becoming misty.  Kim’s was already tearful as she realized how far she and Gerald has come, and that since the beginning, they have always been together.  
 
            For Gerald, he was crying because their journey together in the last four years has been the most meaningful in his life and he was really grateful.
 
            As the music ended, Big Brother asked Jason and Melisa to thank their guests.  It was time for the two of them to return to House A.
            Melai hugged Gerald and kissed Kim before turning toward the exit.  Jason thanked them and followed Melai inside.
            
            “Kim, Gerald, I’m afraid I have some bad news for the two of you.”
            “Ano po ‘yun, kuya?”  Kim asked, her heart beating wildly, hoping against hope that Big Brother would let them stay in this house for at least one more day.  She wanted so much to spend some “alone” and quality time with Gerald, an opportunity to show him, and to the rest of the world, just how much she loves him, and that she’s ready for a relationship with him.