Chapter 2: Love Hurts (Gerald’s POV)

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Gerald wasn’t exactly feeling ecstatic over the fact that MOH won an award.  Fact is, he didn’t win the Best Actor for TV award.  It wasn’t as if he was really expecting to win.  But, it would have helped if Kim was with him.  Apparently, she has to work again, just like she did when SSM threw him a birthday party at Fiama’s last March.  What irked him was the fact that Ate Portia, Kim’s handler, told him earlier that Kim’s schedule could’ve been adjusted had she requested, so she could go to the ceremonies with him.  But, no, she didn’t, probably because she didn’t want to face the press again and get interrogated about their “relationship” or lack of it.  He didn’t push the issue anymore because he saw no point in arguing with her about it.  He knows Kim would only get defensive and bombard him with her one million and one reasons why they shouldn’t admit that they’re already an item.   It’s been more than 3 years already, and she’s still not ready to let the world know that Gerald Anderson, the Amboy Hottie from Gensan, is the boyfriend of Kim Chiu, the Chinese Cutie from Cebu.

He checked his cellphone for missed calls or messages from Kim, hoping she’d at least remember to say goodluck earlier tonight or ask about the results after the ceremonies.  Finding none, he called Matt and Rayver and asked them to meet him at his house. 

“Matt, pare, are you doing anything tonight?  I’m on my way home and I’m not exactly in the mood to go solo in a beer marathon.  Would you like to come over?  You can bring Rayver if he’s free.”

“Ge, ok ka lang?  It’s almost midnight, pare!  Pero, sige, I’ll call Rayver on my way to Vista Real.  Be there in half an hour.  Hintayin mo kami ha,”  was Matt’s worried reply. 

After putting down the phone, Matt grabbed the jeans he was wearing earlier and while putting it on, he got a fresh shirt from his closet.  He grabbed his car keys, locked the doors behind him and dialed Rayver’s number on his way down the elevator.

“Ray, Ge called.  Mukhang depressed.  Beer marathon daw, are you up to it?  After lunch pa naman ang rehearsal natin for ASAP.  Pick you up in 15 minutes, ok?”

On his way home, Gerald stopped at 7-11 and bought 4 cases of San Mig Light.  As an afterthought, he also grabbed several pouches of garlic peanuts and some junk food.

Half an hour later, a still tuxedo-clad Gerald opened the door for Matt and Rayver.

“O, mga ‘tol, come in.  Thanks for coming.  Pasensya na ha?  I know it’s very late.  I just need to talk to you guys.”

“Ok lang.  We’re just worried about you, and knowing you, we’d be up worrying anyway, so what’s the use of not joining you,” was Rayver’s response.

“How did the PMPC go?”  It was Matt’s turn to question him.  “Did you get it?”

“No.  But MOH won.”  Gerald placed the peanuts in a bowl and handed Matt and Rayver some ice.  He opened several bottles all at once.  “Dig in…”  He removed his bowtie, and the tux followed it to the back of his chair. 

“So, is that why we’re drinking?  You didn’t win?”  Rayver asked while repressing his yawn.

“Of course not.  You know me, mga ‘tol.  I’m not much for that award thing.  With or without it, I’m still doing my best in all of my projects.  I guess I’m just tired.”

“Tired of what?”  Matt eyed him curiously while taking a sip from his glass.

“Everything…speaking of which, I know I invited you both over for Christmas at Gensan.  Sorry mga ‘tol, postponed muna ang lakad natin ha?  I’m leaving for the States on the 8th.”

“Whoa, pare…teka lang.  Ano ‘to?  Why the sudden change of plans?  I thought we’d all be taking a break this next two weeks?  Even the girls are joining us, remember?  What did Kim say?  Or…was it….because of….Kim?”  Matt barraged Gerald with questions one after the other.  “Did you two fight?  Uh-oh…Ray, did you watch Kim’s interview last Sunday?  Ge, yun ba ang problema?”

“Matt, if I were in Gerald’s shoes, I’d be depressed too.  Ikaw ba, kung parati kang idene-deny ni Mel, how would you feel?”

Matt looked at Gerald pitifully.  He knew too well how his friend feels.  It has been like this for the last three years, since the three of them got out of PBB house.  He and Rayver are two of the trusted few who know the real score between their friends.  “OO NAMAN…Pero, Ge, do you think running away will solve anything?”

“Pare, I’m not running away.  I just want to rest and think things over.  I’m not doing anything drastic.  If what you’re worried about is Kim and I breaking up, then don’t.  That’s the farthest thing from my mind.   I love her too much to do that.  I’m just going home for two weeks.  I’ll be back before you know it…I’ll go straight to Gensan when I get back on the 28th and I’ll pick you up at the airport the following day.  Ok ba sen’yo?”

“Kala ko ba two weeks?  Eh 20 days yun eh,”  Rayver countered as he finished counting the number of days that Gerald would be gone.

“I’ll call you if anything changes, don’t worry.  For now, I need your help.  Since I won’t be here on the 24th, can you guys do something for me?”

“Sure thing, basta ikaw…” Matt answered, reaching for the 3rd case of beer behind him.

Two hours and 96 bottles of beer later, Matt and Rayver closed the door of Ge’s bedroom.  They cleaned up the mess and locked up before leaving.  Joven and Ali went home to Gensan that afternoon for some errands that Gerald had to finish before he leaves for Missouri.

The next day, Gerald woke up with a huge headache.  Good thing his call time isn’t until 11am. He went downstairs to get a glass of ice cold water.  When he didn’t find any breakfast on the table, it was only then that he remembered that he was alone in the house. He went back upstairs, showered and got dressed.  After checking that all the doors are locked, and his wardrobe already in the car, he took his keys and left for his taping.  He didn’t realize that he left his cellphone on his bed.

Upon arriving at the set, Gerald asked Direk the number of scenes he had to shoot today.  He was informed that 2 scenes were still being shot before his part.  He then excused himself and plopped his 5’10” frame on the chair Kim has given her to use for tapings.  In a matter of minutes, he was off to neverland.

  Later that night, while Kim was shooting her last series, Gerald arrived.  He was careful not to alert anyone of his presence.  He parked his car some good distance away from Kim’s van.  He stood in the shadows, watching his girl and feeling mighty proud of how good an actress she has become.  Try as he might, he still couldn’t shake the sadness he was feeling.  He knew it was brought about by Kim’s interview the previous afternoon on the Buzz.  Gerald has tried to reason with himself, that Kim was caught unprepared, and had to find an excuse, again, to justify her answer.  But it really hurt him to hear her say that she loves him only because they still have a movie in 2010.  She didn’t even call him to apologize like she always does after saying something in public that she knew would hurt his feelings.  She totally forgot.  But hurt as he was, he just couldn’t stay away, knowing she would be expecting him to pick her up tonight.

Gerald was taken out of his reverie when Direk Ruel shouted, “Cut!  Good take, Kim.  Pack-up, guys, we resume tomorrow.  Handlers please mind your wards’ call times.  Goodnight, people…”

          He saw her walking fast, almost running, towards Ate Tata, who was only a few meters away from where he was standing.  Gerald heard disappointment in her voice as Ate Tata informed her that he hasn’t called, nor replied to her text messages.  That was the only time he remembered to look for his cellphone.  She didn’t see him at first, not until he called out her name.

Kim was obviously very happy that he came to pick her up.  She even gave her a smack on the lips, which she rarely does. 

They agreed to buy some food to eat at his house later.  He bought her favorite crispy pata and siomai.

After eating, they settled at his entertainment room the way they usually do on weekends when they’re not taping or doing out-of-town shows.  But tonight, Gerald found it ironic that he was sitting on the very same spot where he sat yesterday watching Kim’s interview.  He closed his eyes when he felt that familiar ache in his chest as he held Kim’s hand in his.  He tried his best not to succumb again to tears. 

It wasn’t the first time that Kim did that to him.  As a matter of fact, he already lost count.  He didn’t know if he was crying only because of what Kim said in the interview or because deep inside he knew that no matter how hurt he was, and no matter how many times Kim denies their relationship, he would still forgive her.  That’s how much he loves her.