Chapter 9: Silence at the Other End

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“FOR ALL THOSE TIMES YOU STOOD BY ME,

FOR ALL THE TRUTH THAT YOU MADE ME SEE

FOR ALL THE JOY THAT YOU BROUGHT TO MY LIFE

FOR ALL THE WRONG THAT YOU MADE RIGHT

FOR EVERY DREAM YOU MADE COME TRUE

FOR ALL THE LOVE I FOUND IN YOU

I’LL BE FOREVER THANKFUL BABY.

YOU’RE THE ONE WHO HELD ME UP

NEVER LET ME FALL

YOU’RE THE ONE WHO SAW ME THROUGH

THROUGH IT ALL.


YOU WERE MY STRENGTH WHEN I WAS WEAK

YOU WERE MY VOICE WHEN I COULDN’T SPEAK

YOU WERE MY EYES WHEN I COULDN’T SEE

YOU SAW THE BEST THERE WAS IN ME

LIFTED ME UP WHEN I COULDN’T REACH

YOU GAVE ME FAITH CAUSE YOU BELIEVED

I’M EVERYTHING I AM

BECAUSE YOU LOVED ME.”


*********************************************************************************************************************

It’s the day after Christmas and Kim is suffering from a mixture of emotions.  She has been pacing her room for the last hour, each passing minute adding a pinch of anxiety to her already raging irritation.  She has been trying to call Gerald on his cellphone but for some reason, his phone was either off or the signal was really bad.

“Hay naku, Geraldo ka, humanda ka!  Oras malaman kong may ginagawa kang kalokohan dyan sa Amerika, lagot ka saken!  Grrr,“ Kim scowled as she dialed Gerald’s number once again.  But just like her numerous attempts for the last 53 minutes, the exasperating voice of the automated reply reached her ear, and before it could even finish, she pushed the END button. 

She heaved a deep sigh, exhaling air exaggeratedly, as she wearily dropped herself on the bed.  She’s worried about him, but she also couldn’t help the slight twinge of jealousy over whatever it is that’s keeping Gerald from calling her.  She hasn’t talked with him for almost 48 hours (based on Manila time) already and she misses him like crazy.

“I’ve been taking his presence for granted. Ganito pala pag wala sya,” Kim tried very hard not to give in to the sobs she had been holding back, but tears eventually fell as she remembered what happened at the MMFF parade when she dismounted the float in her urgency to call Gerald. 

She got pushed and pulled by the people along the sidelines and almost sprained her ankle when she lost her footing.  If Gerald had been there, that wouldn’t have happened.  He would see to it that she doesn’t get pushed, not even touched by anybody.  He would have embraced her from behind just to make sure she doesn’t get squeezed by the crowd.  And he would never let go of her hands for fear that he might lose her in the sea of onlookers and bystanders.  Gerald has always been protective of her and she realized now that somehow she depended on his presence to be there all the time.  Only this time, he wasn’t there, and she hated his absence.

Kim sat up, reached for her Blackberry and dialed Melissa’s number.

A drowsy Melissa answered, “What?  My God, Kimmy, this is the only time we get to sleep at odd hours and you decide to check up on me?  Don’t worry, Matt isn’t here.  He left after lunch, said something about calling Ali.”

“I’m sorry, Mel, I’m just worried.  Gerald hasn’t called and his phone seems to be off.  Do you guys know anything that I don’t?”

“What are you talking about?  Girl, I haven’t talked with Ge either, at least not for the last two weeks.  What’s wrong?  Did you two have a fight?”

“No, and that’s what’s freaking me out.  He hasn’t texted, he hasn’t called.  It’s just not like him at all.  Praning na ba’ko, Mel? ”   

“Hay naku, Kimmy.  Sleep over it.  He’s coming back in two days, right?  Nagpapa-miss lang ‘yon.”

“Siguro nga.  Ok, sige, you can go back to sleep now.  Sorry, I woke you up, friend.”

“It’s ok.  Call me if anything comes up.”

As Kim placed her Blackberry back on top of her dresser, she reached for her laptop and sent Gerald another message through his YM.  “Baby, I miss you.  Are you alright?  Please naman o, magparamdam ka naman.  Worried na’ko eh.  Love you.”

Kim decided she needed to keep herself busy so she wouldn’t miss Gerald terribly.  She remembered the art materials Ate Tata bought the other day.  Gathering the papers and the art supplies, she settled on her bed, sitting cross-legged, Indian style and began her little surprise for Gerald.

GENSAN – 10:00 AM, Manila Time

Evangeline Opsima-Anderson, Mommy Vangie as everyone fondly calls her, has just gotten off the phone with her father-in-law.  She sank back on the wooden stool at the kitchen counter and tried to digest everything Gramps told her about Gerald’s health problems.

For the last three years, her eldest son has been supporting them, providing for their every need without them asking for any.  She saw how hard Gerald has worked for whatever he has now.  And she’s really proud of her son.

Mommy Vangie felt a stab of guilt as she realized that her son was already suffering from Aortic Stenosis while she had been busy living her dreams courtesy of his financial support.

Wiping the tears from her cheeks, she stood up and with a conviction of a warrior ready to go into battle, she marched to her room and looked for her passport.  Her son needs her now.

Her shoulder slumped in utter disbelief as she realized that her passport was about to expire in three weeks.  That means she can’t leave the country just yet without renewing her passport first.


ABS-CBN’s Star Magic Talent Center – 10:45 AM

Johnny “Mr. M” Manahan, Star Magic’s Head Honcho, sat on his swivel chair, apparently lost in thought.  Gerald Anderson’s grandfather has just given him a call and what he has revealed left him in shock, disbelief, and a little bit of anger.  He found it so unfair that his golden boy, who has just started with a very promising career ahead of him, would be suffering from an illness he doesn’t even know could afflict somebody as young as Gerald is.

“God, he’s only 20, for crying out loud!”  Mr. M couldn’t help his anguish, and felt he had to get it off his chest.  But he couldn’t talk about this with just anybody.  Reaching for the intercom, he asked his secretary to check if Ms. Charo, ABS-CBN’s President, has already arrived.

A few minutes later, Mr. M was seated on the plush, leather, visitor’s chair at the President’s office.  He had just given Ms. Charo a run-down of what Gerald’s grandfather had told him earlier.

“You know, Johnny, it would be really unfair to Gerald if we ask him to take a break from doing movies and soaps, even the shows, at this time.  He’s practically at the peak of his career.  If we do that, we’d only end up ruining not only this boy’s career in show business, but his life as well.  You know, as much as I do, how hard he works.  He never complains, he always shows up on time, he accepts every assignment you give him, he’s very professional and on top it all, he has remained humble despite the fame.  He’s every network’s dream talent, if you ask me,” Ms. Charo rattled on, obviously affected with the news as much as Mr. M has been.

“I know.  That’s why I’m here in front of you.  I’m at a loss.  I really don’t have any idea how to resolve this without letting the news out.  Whatever we do, his fellow artists would definitely notice.  Not to mention Kim.  Gerald’s grandfather told me that Kim still has no idea at all about what happened.  He’s not sure how she would take it.”

“Does Gerald know?”

“Not yet.”

“Ok, call a meeting with his and Kim’s handlers, call his directors for KTM and PNK.  We’ll all meet at the conference room in exactly one hour.  Tell them this is urgent.”

“Will do.  Thanks, I appreciate this.  See you in an hour.”