A Dream Come True (Flashback 4)

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“I'm gonna take a little time

A little time to look around me

I've got nowhere left to hide

It looks like love has finally found me

In my life there's been heartache and pain

I don't know if I can face it again

I can't stop now, far

To change this lonely life

 

I wanna know what love is

I want you to show me

I wanna feel what love is

I know you can show me”

 

 

         Gerald stayed in the hospital for a few more weeks, on Zoe’s instructions.  He underwent several more tests to make sure that Aortic Stenosis has already been ruled out.  His heart is now as new as a newborn’s.  It would take time to make it really strong, but he knew it would be.

         Soon, he was ready to go home.  Zoe was explaining something very important.

         “RJ, there’s no limit to what you can do now.  But please take it slow, ok?  Your heart is still adjusting to the new valves.  Soon it will be as it was before you had AS.  Remember, check-ups every quarter.  You must religiously take your medicines to make sure that you won’t suffer from AS again.  The valves we replaced won’t be afflicted anymore, but the others could be.  Regular exercise, proper diet, right amount of sleep and regular check-ups would ensure that we won’t have anything to worry about anymore.  Ok?  Everything clear?”

         “Yes, ate, don’t worry…I’ll take it easy.  Promise.”

         “you should…or else I’ll go to Manila and spank you myself.  Kim, make sure he does everything I said, ok?”

         “Don’t worry, ate.  Babantayan ko yan 24/7.  Hindi pwedeng hindi yan susunod sa lahat ng sinabi mo, aawayin ko talaga sya.”

         “Kimmy ha?  Di pa nga tayo kasal, ina-under mo na ‘ko…”

         “Di naman…slight lang,” Kim blushed at his teasing.

         “O, sya, sige na..baka mamaya, mag-away pa kayo…eto na ang discharge order.  Eto na yung mga prescriptions.  I’ll see you on your wedding day.”

         “Thanks ate…will you come to Manila too?”

         “Syempre naman…kung bakit kasi ang dami’ng seremonyas nitong kapatid ko…”

         “Pagbigyan mo na ‘ko.  Pangarap ko ‘to noon pa, ang mapakasalan si Kim sa lahat ng simbahan na pinagkasalan namin sa mga projects namin.”

         “Eh bakit pati St. Patrick’s kasali?  Wala naman kayo’ng project dun..”

         “Wala nga, pero memorable ang New York sa’min kaya tama lang na pakasalan ko din sya dito, di ba?”

         “Sus, oo na…naghahanap ka lang ng gastos…”

         Kim was silent all through the exchange of banter between the two.  She was just happy that finally, she found peace in her decision to settle down with Gerald, wherever that may be.

         “Di naman…si Kim nga ang gagastos eh.”

         “Eh pano nilagay ba naman lahat ng pera nya sa pangalan ko.”  She countered, slightly embarrassed at the situation.

         “Sus, wag ka na mahiya…sadyang pinag-ipunan ko lahat yan para sa’yo…”  Gerald again.  Kim blushed as Gerald gathered her in his arms and kissed her as if Zoe wasn’t there at all.

         “Naku, nakakainggit kayo ha…teka nga, makauwi na at ng makahingi rin ng kiss sa asawa ko….O, pano?  Iwan ko na kayo ha?  Oy, RJ ang mga bilin ko ha.  No strenuous activities for the first 2 months, ok?  Kim, bahala ka na sa kanya ha?”

         “Yes, ate, don’t worry.  Ako’ng bahala…O, Geraldo, narinig mo ha, NO STRENUOUS EXERCISES daw for the first 2 months….”

         “Ate naman eh…pano’ng honeymoon ko?”  Gerald pouted like a kid deprived of his favorite candy.

         “It can wait.  Your heart can’t handle that yet.  Hayaan mo, next check-up, baka sakaling bigyan na kita ng clearance…besides, Kim’s already pregrnant, you won’t need a honeymoon just yet.”  Zoe laughed as she left the room.

         “Uyyy….ang bata nagmamaktol…”  Kim teased Gerald who suddenly fell into an uncomfortable silence.

         “Di naman…tama si ate, you should rest, kasi pregnant ka.  I can wait.  Besides, ayoko rin i-risk yung pwedeng mangyari.  Baka patay na ‘ko, papatayin mo pa ‘ko ulit sa galit mo pag bigla kang na-biyuda…”

         “Korek!  Sa lahat ng sinabi mo, yan ang tama!  Lagot ka talaga saken pag may nangyari na naman sa’yo…kaya, promise me, iingatan mo ang sarili mo, para samen ni baby…”

         “Opo…promise yan…Pa-kiss nga ulit…bitin eh.”  And he cupped her face tenderly as their lips locked once more.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

         Kim and Gerald decided to stay in Missouri for the rest of his recovery period.  ABS-CBN has already been informed of everything that happened, and Ms. Charo was only glad to give both young stars a three-month vacation, with occasional interviews via phone patch and videos just enough to keep their fans waiting and anticipating.  The news about Gerald’s condition was blocked out.  In time, the Buzz will be given an exclusive on the whole story.         It was how they both wanted it to be.  For the meantime, the KTM storyline was changed to accommodate their absence.

         They also decided to hold the civil wedding first in Missouri.  It was a very simple and solemn affair, attended only by the closest members of their families.  The rest of Kim’s family planed in a day before the wedding.  Ken took a leave from his work to help his brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law in making the arrangements.  Gerald wasn’t allowed to drive yet so Ken served as their driver when they had to apply for a marriage license, buy their wedding attires and accessories, arrange for a caterer for an intimate celebration, and buy their rings.  It was held on April 23, four days after Gerald woke up on Kim’s birthday.

         There was no honeymoon just like what Zoe said.  Gerald was sport enough to accept that part, threatening to make Kim pay for it after their several church weddings.

TWO MONTHS LATER…

         “Babe, I’m done with this box.  Anything else you’d like me to do?”  Gerald called from the living room where several balikbayan boxes were ready to be shipped to Manila.

         “Uhm, wala na, I think we’re done.  Ate Zoe’s waiting at the hospital, we have to get going.  Mamaya na lang natin lagyan ng addresses, bukas pa naman pi-pick-up-in ng Fedex yang mga yan eh.”

         “Sige, did you call your OB?  Alam ba nya na dadaan din tayo dun sa clinic nya ngayon after we see Ate Zoe?”

         “Yes po.  Naka-ilang tanong ka na ha?”  Kim husband again, making him blush a little at the insinuation.

         “Oo na, excited na kung excited…’to naman.  Don’t rain on my parade, ok?  Halika na, buntis…Maaaaa…alis na kami…”  he took Kim’s hand and led her out of the door as he called to his mom in the kitchen to let her know they were already leaving.

         Mommy Vangie rushed to the front door and called out, “RJ!  Be careful ok?!  Kimmy, don’t let him drive too fast on the freeway…”

         “Yes ma….”  Kim answered back before waving to her mother-in-law.  She got in the car and Gerald closed her door before climbing into the driver’s seat at the other side.

At the hospital….

         “Ate, may result na ba yung mga tests ko?”  Gerald asked, slightly nervous at the outcome.

         “Opo…masyado kang atat ha…”  Zoe kidded him.

         “Naku, ate, kagabi pa hindi makatulog yan…Ayaw pa aminin saken na ninenerbyos sya eh halata naman…pabali-baliktad sa kama, akala siguro hindi ko ramdam…”  Kim told Zoe, expecting the latter’s sermons for her husband.

         “Eto na po……Dyaraaaaaan, all clear, Mr. Anderson,” Zoe exclaimed, “pwede ka nang gumawa ng basketball team mo…”

         “Yessssss!”  Gerald jumped from his seat in delighted anticipation as Kim suppressed her amusement at her husband’s obvious happiness.

         “You can do anything, just make sure your medications are continuous.  Kimmy, make sure he doesn’t do any weightlifting just yet.  You can use the treadmill for walking, but very limited and slow running only, ok?  Any questions?”

         “Ate, pwede na ang long driving?”

         “Yes, but you have to rest every hour.”

         “Basketball?”

         “Not yet…maybe next year…”

         “Swimming?”

         “Not yet….in six months, maybe….”

         “Ok.  That’s it?”

         “Basically, yes…Sige na nga…alam ko namang excited ka sa check-up ni Kim.  Sige na, go!”

         The two kissed Zoe and left, heading towards the clinic of Kim’s OB-Gyne.

         Moments later, the two were ushered into the examination room and Kim was asked to lie down on the table.

         The doctor attached the heartbeat monitor and started scrolling over Kim’s stomach.  Soon, they heard a beat.  Gerald couldn’t contain his excitement as he heard the droning sound of steady heartbeats until the monitor caught another beat similar to the first one.  The doctor looked quizzically at Kim then at Gerald before grinning from ear to ear.

         “Did you guys hear that?  I think we’re having twins!”  She was jumping up and down as if she was the one pregnant with twins.

         “Oh my God!  Baby, your wish was granted!  We’re having twins!  Woohooo!!!!”  Gerald was beside himself with too much happiness.

         “Babe, don’t get too excited, please….”Kim couldn’t help but worry.  She was afraid the excitement might trigger something that could affect Gerald’s condition again.

         “I’m so happy, Kimmy!  Nothing could top this, I swear!  Thank you!  Thank you so much!  I love you, baby…I really do… You’ve made me the happiest man alive!”

         “Mr. Anderson, I believe if you don’t calm down, you might not see your twins when they get born.  I understand you’ve just had an operation barely three months ago.  Please, calm down.  Do as your wife tells you or else I would ask you to get out.”

         “Oooopps.  Sorry, Doc!  I’ll behave, promise.”

         Satisfied with his answer, the doctor continued to check on Kim and the babies.  After several minutes, they were done and Kim was prescribed with more vitamins before she was finally sent home.

         When they reached the parking lot, Gerald helped Kim into the passenger side before getting in at the driver’s seat.  He was still grinning and his glow was so imminent that Kim just stared lovingly at her husband as he maneuvered the car into the busy street.

         When they got home, nobody was around yet.  Kim felt a bit exhausted with all the things that happened that day.  She told Gerald she was going to rest a bit inside their room.

         Not wanting to disturb her, he stayed at the living room, pacing the floor.  He wanted to share the good news with everybody…

         Carefully, he checked the pantry.  There was nothing he could prepare from the supplies he found.  His only option was to order from a restaurant.  Half an hour later, satisfied with what he has accomplished, he began setting the table using Gramma’s finest china.  When he was done, he started calling all the members of his and Kim’s families and told them to be home by 7pm for dinner.

         At half past six, Gerald went into the room to check on Kim and found her still asleep.  He went over to her side of the bed and kissed her on the lips.  It woke her up, naturally.

         “Hey, sleepyhead, time for dinner…”  Gerald smiled at her, causing her to blink several times.

         “Akala ko, panaginip pa rin…totoo na pala,”  she said, blushing a little.

         “Asus, ako na naman ang napanaginipan mo…baka wala nang makuhang features sa’yo ang mga anak natin…puro kamukha ko na.”

         “Yabang mo po…”  Kim pouted before getting off the bed to freshen up at the bathroom.

         “Kidding…sobrang sensitive mo ata ngayon, Mrs. Anderson?”

         “Ang kulit mo eh…”

         “O, sya, hindi na po…  halika na at lalamig na ang pagkain.  Everyone’s arriving already.”

         “Susunod na ‘ko, mauna ka na…”

         “Sige, sunod ka na ha.”

         When Gerald entered the kitchen, everyone was already seated, waiting for them.

         “O, asan si Kimmy?  Kumusta ang check up?” It was Mommy Vangie.

         “Ok lang po.  Pinayagan na ako’ng mag-long drive provided I rest every hour.  Si Kim, binigyan ng dagdag na vitamins.”

         “Ha?  Bakit daw?  May problema ba sa baby?”  It was Ate Twinkle who asked.

         “Wala naman, ate.  Don’t worry.”

         Kim appeared on the doorway and Gerald stood up to help her settle on the seat next to his.

         “Babe?  Ikaw na ang magsabi…”  Gerald coaxed her.

         “Ng ano?”  Everyone asked in unison, making them sound like a chorus.

         “We’re having twins!”  Kim excitedly announced and everyone was momentarily stunned before simultaneously jumping up to kiss and hug Gerald and Kim.

         “Wow!!!!  Excited na ako’ng makita ang mga apo ko!”  Mommy Vangie exclaimed, making everyone laugh.

         “Teka muna, mommy, may kelangan pa tayo’ng pag-usapan,”  Lakam answered.

         “Ha?  Ano yon?”  Gerald asked, suddenly worried when he saw Lakam’s seriousness.

         “Pa’no nyo iha-handle ang media pagdating ng Pilipinas?  Sigurado ba kayo na gusto nyo na kaagad iuwi ang mga bata pagkaanak na pagkaanak ni Kim?”  Lakam asked, looking at Gerald.

         “Pinag-usapan na namin yan, ate.  Wala kaming dapat itago.   Next month, I’ve scheduled an interview with the Buzz.  Kuya Boy will be coming here to get the exclusive.  After that we will announce our church wedding.  By then, Kim would have given birth already.  I already called Loi Villarama to make the preparations for the April wedding.  We wanted to have the same anniversary as our civil wedding.  Besides, by then, Kim would have recovered completely and the twins would already be 6 months old.”

         “Ah, ok.  I see you’ve already made plans, that’s good.  I was just worried you might have overlooked it.  Well, if that’s the case, I guess Twinkle and I could go home in two weeks to help in the preparations, at least.”

         “Oo nga, ate, I will appreciate it if there’s somebody who could handle the coordination with Loi.  Thanks so much for the offer.”

         “Don’t mention it…ako pa!”  And Lakam hugged her brother-in-law.  “Thanks so much for loving our Kimmy.”

         “You don’t have to thank me, ate, it’s my pleasure, it always will be.”  And Gerald kissed his wife.

         Gramps and Gramma, who were both watching the exchange, went closer to Kim and Gerald and gave them both a big hug.  It was enough for the young couple to understand how much the two love them.