Better Together Part 2

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Tito Boy placed his camcorder in place before sitting down on the divan across the loveseat occupied by Kim and Gerald.

“Here’s how we’re going to do this, for the first part of the interview, I’ll give a brief background on what happened before you had to take a leave of absence, Kim. From there, I will ask questions about what happened to Gerald and then we’ll see how the conversation goes, ok with you?”

“Yes, tito boy…”

“After that, we’ll take a break para mapag-usapan natin yung plans nyo before we go on with the 2nd part of the interview, para masala ko kung alin lang ang ilalabas, ok?”

“Sige po…”

Ok, let’s start.” And he turned the camcorder on.

“Mga kaibigan, several months ago, one of our most bankable leading men had to leave showbusiness indefinitely for reasons the family would not want to give. They just said that it was very untimely, and we had to agree that it was, but it was something he had to do. The rumors were he was nursing a broken heart because of his break up with his reel and allegedly real partner and that he was really affected by the turn of events that the management decided to give him sometime to recover. And then, a few months ago, we heard the sad news about the other half of our favorite loveteam going on a leave of absence for personal reasons. We were told that she has to take care of someone very important to her. Speculations then were again a dime a dozen. But since no explanation whatsoever was given, everyone was kept in the dark, playing guessing games with ABS-CBN. Although she continually graced the covers of magazines, some of them international publications, and guested in a number of shows abroad, we had no idea what was going on with her. Even those closest to her were mum about her whereabouts and activities.

But today, I had the privilege of being given the exclusive on these very much awaited stories of our beloved Chinese cutie and Amboy hottie, the one and only Kimerald – Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson…”

Boy Abunda: Hello, Kim, Gerald…

KG: Hi tito boy…(Kim); Hello po…(Gerald)

BA: Lady’s first…Kimmy, enlighten me, what happened? Was there really a break up to speak of?

Kim: No, tito boy, wala po.

BA: Both of you never admitted to a serious commitment back then…What was the real score before Gerald here decided to leave, if I can call it that?

Kim: Yun nga po, MU kami, and the relationship was getting deeper, pero somehow, we just couldn’t commit.

Gerald: Ikaw lang, oy, I was ready eversince…

Kim tried to cover Gerald’s mouth to stop him from making such remarks but Gerald was too fast for her. Boy laughed at the playful banter between the two.

BA: No, seriously, bakit nga ba hindi?

Gerald: O, sagutin mo yan…Ikaw mag-explain.

Kim: Eehhh, naman eh. Ikaw na…

Gerald: Aba, bakit ako, eh ikaw ang tinatanong ni tito boy.

BA: Kim? What was the problem before? I know for a fact that the two of you were closer than close, I’m sorry I have to say it, ok? But we know that you truly care for each other. Kagaya nga ng sinabi ni Direk Ruel Bayani, kasal na lang ang kulang.

Kim: Tito boy, nandun kasi yung takot ko sa commitment eh. Alam nyo naman po kung anong nangyari sa parents ko, then sa parents ni Ge… natatakot ako na baka kapag nag-commit sya saken, baka mag-demand ako ng hindi nya kayang ibigay.

BA: like what?

Kim: Gaya ng oras, presence, yung ganun…kasi di ba sa industriya natin, time is of the essence. Kelangan talaga ibibigay mo yung 100% mo sa trabaho or else, baka magising ka na lang isang araw na wala ka nang projects.

BA: Yun lang yun?

Kim: Saka syempre, ayoko sya itali saken kasi bata pa kami pareho and malay natin, may ma-meet pa sya na mas gusto nya.

BA: Gerald, what can you say about this?

Ge: Tito boy, I have always been very consistent with my pronouncements since the beginning, and you know it. I even asked for your advice, remember? That was the time when we were just starting out in the business right after coming out of PBB house. I’ve known since then that I really, really like her. And my feelings for her just got deeper and deeper as the years went by, until I just couldn’t live without her. I knew she wasn’t ready and I didn’t want to push her into something she wasn’t ready for. Remember the tough ten interview with ate kris? I was wearing my heart on my sleeve then. And I was hoping that everyone who watched would somehow see through me.

BA: I did. Krissy and I both did. If I remember correctly, she told me right after that she really likes you already and she was ready to take you both under wing, which she did.

Ge: There hasn’t been anyone for me, and she knows it, di ba, Kim?

Kim: Ha? Malay ko…

Ge: Ayan ka na naman eh…

Kim: (Sheepishly smiles at her husband) Sorry…. Uhm, tito boy, totoo po yung sinasabi ni Ge. I knew all along na faithful sya talaga. I tried to test him several times, pero matibay talaga eh.

BA: Test him in what way? What about the rumors? I remember that the rumors about Pauleen Luna and Sam Pinto were the hardest for you to get through.

Kim: Eh kasi naman di talaga mamatay-matay ang issues. Kahit pa nga 24/7 na kami magkasama, may mga issues pa rin. Syempre, hindi ako maniniwala kasi nga ako ang kasama nya araw-araw, sa loob ng 24 oras.
Kung may mga separate projects man kami, umuusok ang cellphone ko sa kaka-text at kaka-tawag nyan. Walang oras na hindi kami in contact with each other. Yun ang isang bagay na parati kong pinanghahawakan na mahal nya talaga ako. Di yan makatiis na wala ako sa tabi nya, hahaha…

Ge: Guilty…. Di ko kayang i-explain yun, tito boy, so I guess you just have to take it as it is. Mahal ko lang talaga si kim.

Kim: Saka, naku, torpe talaga yan pagdating sa babae…alam nyo po ba na si mommy vangie pa ang nagsabi saken na mahal daw talaga ako nyan? Siguro yun ang dahilan kung bakit naniwala ako na mahal nya ako. Pero, yun nga, nauunahan ako parati ng takot.

BA: Was there ever a time, Gerald, that you almost gave up?

Ge: yes, tito, that was the time I knew about my illness. Actually, it wasn’t giving up because I couldn’t wait anymore. It was more of giving up for her sake, kasi I didn’t want her to get hurt.

BA: What was that again? You were ill?

GE: Yes, tito boy, I was sick, as in really, really sick. Do you remember your interview with Kim during the promotions for her movie with Tito Gabby and Derek and Angel? That was last December. I was hurt by that interview so I decided to spend Christmas with my grandparents. The day before Christmas, that was the same day as the MMFF parade, I passed out at the park. When I woke up, I was already at the hospital with my grandfather. He wouldn’t tell me what was wrong with me. He just said we have to wait for the test results.

BA: you really had no idea that you were sick? No symptoms, whatsoever?

GE: Wala po. None that I noticed. Kasi alam nyo naman po na I was really active, with basketball, even wakeboarding pag walang tapings, then my schedules were really hectic. So, wala po talaga.

BA: Ok, so when did you know your condition?

GE: After a few days po, just before I was scheduled to go back to Manila, Ate Zoe told me. She was my doctor. Actually, wife sya ng isa sa mga closest friends namin dito, si Kuya George. Kim didn’t know her then kaya tuloy napagselosan pa nya…

Kim: Di ah…ang kapal mo ha?

GE: O, tatanggi ka na naman…Kimmy, umamin ka na…

Kim: sige na nga, guilty po, tito boy.

BA: (Laughs) Nakakatuwa kayong dalawa, up to now, you still have that certain innocence that really endeared you to the fans. Sige, Gerald, go on…

GE: When I came back, I didn’t know that Gramps had already talked with the key people of ABS, like Ms. Charo and Mr. M. They met with my handler, my directors, and with the presidents of our fans clubs. Kaya pala po during that time, nagtaka ako kung bakit biglang gumaan ang schedule ko. They were given directives that I had to be given time to rest.

BA: Kim, you had no idea at all?

Kim: Wala po talaga… I was just glad that he was back. Pero napansin ko rin yung ilang beses na nag-pass out sya sa PBB. Akala ko, pagod lang talaga sya. Di ko alam, may sakit na pala.

BA: So, when did you tell her? (Looking at Ge)

GE: I did not. Well, at least not personally. We stayed inside the PBB house for a week during the PBB Double Up season. I arranged it with Direk Lauren so that we could stay at another rest house in Anilao.

BA: Ah, yes, the famous Kimerald Cove. What was really the story behind it?

GE: I bought that property 2 years ago. The inspiration got to me when I learned about my illness.

BA: Teka, can you please elaborate on your illness first? Para sa mga hindi nakaalam…

GE: I was diagnosed with Aortic Stenosis. It’s a heart ailment wherein there is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valves. When the degree of narrowing becomes significant enough to impede the flow of blood from the left ventricle to the arteries, heart problems develop. That’s what happened to me. Because of fatigue and physical strain, the valves narrowed to an alarming state that I had to be operated on.

BA: So, if you didn’t tell Kim, how did you manage to hide it from her during the time that you stayed at the PBB house and in Anilao?

GE: Dun po sa PBB, di pa gaano sumasakit. Tapos dun naman sa Anilao, I had a secret room installed, tapos andun lahat ng medical equipments.

BA: Teka, di naman na-air yung sa Anilao ah…Bakit andun kayo?

Kim: Talaga, tito? Hindi on-air yung doon sa Anilao?

GE: Teka, teka, let me explain, bago magalit ‘tong si kumander… Ganito kasi yon tito boy. Mr. M and Direk Lauren told me I really had to take it slow, kaya naisipan nila na papag-bakasyunin kami ni Kim. The original plan was for us to stay inside the PBB house until matapos ang season. Pero since on-air yung show 24/7, di rin daw ako makaka-rest, so yun nga, dun kami dinala sa Anilao, at my request. Sinama nila si Kim para di sya magtaka kung asan ako.

BA: Ah, ok…so the pbb house in anilao is yours?

GE: Uhm, technically po, it’s Kim’s already.

BA: Ha? Ang gulo ha….sige, tuloy…explain.

GE: Nun po kasing andun kami, I knew I had very slim chances of surviving, kasi that’s what the doctors told me. Since that property was supposed to be my gift to Kim when she finally agrees to be my girl, ipinalipat ko na lang po sa pangalan nya…

BA: Wow! Di ko ‘to kaya ha…bongga talaga…hands up ako sa’yo Gerald, you truly are one amazing person. So, how did you give it to her? And how did she take it?

GE: yung part na yan po, di ko na alam. You have to ask kim…

BA: Why? Didn’t you say you gave it to her?

GE: Yes po, pero it was given to her after I was gone. I had a fatal attack and I had to be brought immediately to Mt. Sinai in New York, kasi ayaw mag-take ng risk ng doctors ko. After I was gone, Direk Lauren gave everything I prepared to Kim.

BA: Kim, can you continue, please? What happened? How did you know about Gerald’s sickness?

Kim: Nun pong may show kami ditto sa states, pinauna nya ako’ng bumalik ng manila. Supposedly, meron daw endorsement na sya lang sa Missouri. Right after naming makasakay ng plane sa la guardia airport, kinailangan na sya dalhin sa hospital, so pagdating ko ng manila, di ko na sya makontak. saka ako kinausap ni direk Lauren. Binigay nya yung mga iniwan ni Ge na taped message, saka yung mga bagay na importante sa aming dalawa, tapos yun nga pong titulo ng bahay sa Vista Real pati na yung sa anilao. Iniwan nya rin sa pangalan ko lahat ng sasakyan nya, pati na yung savings nya for the last 4 years.

BA: (mouth hanging open, teary-eyed) Wow….
Speechless ako, for once.

Kim: Di rin po ako makapaniwala nung una. Saka di rin po kaagad nag-register sa isip ko ang lahat ng yun…To say that I was devastated was an understatement. Parang, that one day, I was in total denial. Ngayon ko rin lang nalaman na wala talagang camera sa anilao…and I regret not doing anything the whole time we were there. Kung alam ko lang...hahaha...

BA: Gerald, you had no idea whatsoever what was going on when you had that attack? Were you totally unconscious?

GE: Yes, tito boy. I was brought to Mt. Sinai in NYC where I was operated on. For a while, I was at the ICU daw, then I flatlined…

BA: Oh..My…God…wait. stop. I need to breathe. You mean…you were totally gone? For how long? (Tears were slowly streaming down tito boy’s cheeks..)

GE: Unfortunately, yes. When Direk Lauren called Kim and asked her to wait for him at the house in anilao, I was being revived by ate Zoe and my other doctors. That was the news she heard.

Kim: Masisisi nyo po ba ako kung bigla akong natulala, as in black out lahat sa isip ko, di ko alam kung ano’ng iisipin ko…lahat, bumalik…the memories, the good times, the very few instances na nagkaron kami ng tampuhan, but mostly yung pag-aalaga at pagmamahal ni Ge saken. Umabot din sa point na sobra akong na-guilty kasi all these time na kasama ko sya, professing to the world how much he loves me, ako pa rin pala ang inaalala nya kahit delikado na ang lagay ng buhay nya.

BA: Gerald, I must really say this, God is so good for giving you to Kim. Naku, iha (turning to Kim), wag na wag mo na pakakawalan ang isang ito, he is truly one in a billion.

Kim: Alam ko naman po yun…it just took me a while to realize it.

BA: So, what happened after you knew?

Kim: Right there and then, nag-decide po akong sumunod sa kanya sa amerika. Kahit pa ano ang kondisyon nya noon, basta ang alam ko, gusto kong nandun ako sa tabi nya para alagaan sya.

BA: So, why didn’t you say anything? At least para di mag-speculate ang mga tao? Why leave things hanging?

Kim: Di ko po kasi alam kung ano ang dadatnan ko dito eh…If everything was well, I would have called for a press con para i-announce sa buong mundo na kami na, at naghihintay na lang ako ng proposal ng kasal. Pero, he was in a coma nung dumating ako… (Kim was already crying and mommy vangie had to give her a glass of water to calm her down as Gerald rubbed her back)

BA: HA???? May ganon? And nobody knew? Wow! Grabe ang bantay nyo…nakalusot ito sa press? Nobody knew?

GE: Apparently, Mr. M had to forcibly implement a news blackout on my condition. Di ko po alam kung ano’ng kondisyon, basta yun ang nangyari. Everyone cooperated, I guess, kaya walang nag-leak na info whatsoever.

BA: Even I didn’t know that…

Kim: He was in a coma for almost 2 months.

GE: Kim was very patient with me. Parati syang nasa hospital, kinakausap ako kahit di ako sumasagot. She also brought things that might help revive me..

BA: Like what?

GE: Simple things that have a lot of meaning for both of us. Mga fave food namin…music that we enjoyed together, mga dvds ng movies and teleserye namin. Those things…

BA: Did it help?

GE: I guess…kasi po nagising ako eh. But I think what really helped me get back was her voice. It was what I kept on hearing…

BA: Iba talaga ang nagagawa ng true love.

GE: I guess you can say that…

BA: Teka, di ko kinaya ang mga pasabog nyo…I think I need a break. Mga kaibigan, we’ll be back.

Boy put the camcorder off before facing Kim and Gerald again. It took him a very long while before his tears ebbed and he could speak again.