Chapter 1: I Love You, Goodbye

I Want to Know What Love Is

  November 29, 2009 – The Buzz Interview

          BOY ABUNDA:  “…fast talk tayo.  Mabilisan lamang, Kim.  I will mention some words, sabihin mo nga sa akin kung I love you o Goodbye ang mga salitang ito.  Halimbawa, isang word, sabihin mo, I love you, Goodbye.  Mabilis ha? Mabilisan..Tsokolate…”

          KIM:  “I love you..Ay, no, Goodbye.  Allergic ako dun.  Ano ba yun…”

          BOY:  “Ahahaha…Lechon Cebu…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “Puyat…”

          KIM:  “I love you, work yun, more ano…Yeah…I love you…(laughs)”

          BOY:  “Tulog…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “Kanin…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “Shoes…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “Kimeralds…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “LV bags…”

          KIM:  “I love you…”

          BOY:  “Gerald…”

          KIM:  “ I Lo-aaaaaaaaaah……hahaha …Syempre, I love you, kasi may movie pa kami next year.  And pag goodbye na, syempre wala nang Kimeralds…”

          BOY:  “Ang sarap ng pakiramdam ano…” 

KLIK!  Gerald turned the tv off with a slight shake of his head and a hurt expression on his face.  He stared at the blank screen for a while before reaching for the telephone.

“Hello, Northwest Airlines?  Can you please book me a flight to Missouri for December 8?  Economy…Window seat…What time is the earliest?  4 am? How many stop-overs? Ok, I’ll take it… Gerald Randolph Opsima Anderson Jr.  Thanks.  I’ll just drop by your office tomorrow to pick up my ticket.  Bye.”

Hesitating a bit, he reaches for his cellphone and searched the phonebook for his mom’s number.

“Hello, mom?  Yeah, it’s me, RJ.  No, I’m ok, just caught a little cold.  Mom, I…I  booked a flight to Missouri on the 8th.  I’m spending Christmas with Gramps and Gramma…I hope it’s ok with you,”  Gerald told his mom, this time with more conviction.

“RJ?  What happened?  Why are you going to the States all of a sudden?  I thought we already agreed to spend Christmas here at Gensan?  Your dad’s even coming to see you and Ken.  Is something wrong, iho?  Did you and Kim have a fight?,” answered his very bewildered Mommy Vangie.

“No, mom, I just want to rest.  My erratic schedule is finally taking its toll on me.  Besides, I miss Gramma’s cooking.  Don’t worry, I’ll be back before New Year.  We’re all celebrating it here at Vista Real, ok?, ”  he tried to make his voice sound normal in order to hide his sadness.

“I’m not going to argue with you, RJ.  But it doesn’t mean that I bought that crap about missing Gramma’s cooking…I know you too well, son.  Whatever it is that’s bugging you, I hope you find the answers soon.  Give my love to Gramps and Gramma, and you take care, you hear me?  Don’t forget to leave your Christmas presents with Joven or Ali.  Tell them to fly in as early as possible because I need all the help I can get…And RJ, don’t tell Kim over the phone, ok?  See her before she finds out from Joven, and bring her her Christmas gift, not that it’s any consolation since you won’t be here for the MMFF parade.  I love you RJ.  See you on New Year’s Eve.  Have a safe trip.”

“Yes, mom, I hear you loud and clear…where’s Ken?  It’s ok, I’ll just call him from the airport.  And yes to all your instructions…Bye mom…I’ll call you on Christmas eve.  Love you too.”  And he hangs up the phone feeling more depressed than ever.