The Video (a very short chapter)

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Chapter 42:  The Video (a very short chapter)

“Quit playin' games

Baby, baby the love that we had was so strong

Don't leave me hangin' here forever

Oh baby, baby this is not alright, let's stop this tonight”

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

         Kim’s tears clouded her vision but she didn’t care.  She didn’t wipe the tears off her cheeks.  Her hand reached out to the box and felt the brown envelope Gerald was telling her about.  She took the envelope and hugged it before emptying its contents on her lap.

         Several pieces of papers fell out before a CD rolled out.  Curious about the contents, she picked it up and saw the following words scribbled on top:  Kimmy, everything on this CD has been forever locked in my heart.  I hope you felt the same way I did….

         She placed the papers back inside the envelope and rushed to put the CD on the player mounted on the wall.

         Gerald’s smiling face greeted her.

         “Hi, baby!  I just want to give you this compilation of all our times together.  Since our PBB days, I have always been your number one fan.  Don’t ask how I was able to compile all these, it was a labor of love, just for you.  Matt, Mel and Rayver wanted to help, but I didn’t let them.  I wanted to do this myself, just for you.  I hope you like it.  Enjoy watching, and remember me each time…”

         The video started with their entrance to the PBB house in 2006.  She was introduced as the Chinese cutie from Cebu and he was the Amboy hottie from Gensan.  The scenes containing their moments together, no matter how short, were clipped and made into a mini movie, progressing from day 1 up to the time they went out on the big night.  Kim saw the clips of Gerald’s different ways of looking at her.  Each one may be different from the others, but all of them showed a look of love that ccouldn’t be denied.  After the PBB scenes came the interviews with Gerald’s unwavering declaration of his feelings for her.  Since 2006 until the very last interview just recently, Kim realized that Gerald has been very consistent with his pronouncements.  The segment ended with their guesting on the Buzz where Gerald answered Kris’ question, “I will wait until the day she says yes.”  Kim burst into tears as she realized how much time was wasted just because she was afraid to get hurt.  She saw how she had hurt Gerald everytime she denied him in public.  Yet he remained constant, never taking his word back, never doing anything to hurt her.

         The next segment was composed of their most memorable scenes in all their projects, from the sitcom Aalog-alog, to the Love Spell series, to Sana Maulit Muli, to I’ve Fallen for You, to My Girl, to Your Song Presents MOH, to Tayong Dalawa and the most recent, Kung Tayo’y Magkakalayo.  The last screen paused showing their five wedding scenes from SMM, IFFY, MG, MOH and TD.  And then the trailer of their wedding that was to be shown on KTM filled the screen.  Kim felt like she was being stabbed a hundred times.  She remembered Gerald’s proposal and her refusal.

         “Ge, kung alam ko lang….I would have said yes!  I’m so sorry, baby, sorry talaga…”  And her sobs became wails of grief and deep sorrow.  The video continued,  flashing scenes from her birthday celebrations, starting with the special dinner Gerald prepared for her on the penthouse of his condominium building, followed by her 18th birthday where he was her .  From the birthday scenes, clips of Gerald’s protectiveness over her followed.  All the times he held her hand whenever she needed to go up or down the stage, the times when he embraced her from behind just so she wouldn’t be squashed by the crowd during their mall shows, the time when they got separated during a mall show and Gerald was caught on camera frantically looking for her, the times when he was always beside her making sure she doesn’t get pulled or pushed during their shows.  This segment ended with a picture of the two of them she didn’t know was taken.  It was during the taping of their last movie, Paano na Kaya.  They were seated at a long bench together with the other cast and crew.  Her head was on his shoulders and he was kissing her head.  It was a picture depicting how much he loved and respected her.  The feelings radiated from the picture, and she knew that pictures never lie.

         For the hundredth time that day, Kim felt like dying just watching and feeling the different emotions that Gerald had gone through in the four years that they have been together.

         The next scenes were composed of all their pictures taken during their travels, within and outside of the country.  The pictures showed the good times they had, the places they've been to that have somehow gained significance in their life as a couple.  Kim began missing him even more.

The video ended with yet another message from Gerald.  It was taken as a part of Rated K’s celebration of Valentine’s Day last year.  Gerald declared once again that Kim was the only one for him.  The last part showed a piece of paper shaped like a heart plastered on Gerald’s chest.  Her name was printed on top.  She smiled despite her tears.  It was a moment both of them laughed so hard about.  She about falling head over heels for her, and remembering it now, she realized that he never denied it then.

         The screen went blank and Kim just stared at it.  She didn’t want the video to end.  Gerald seemed so happy and so alive, and he was talking to her.

         Slowly, she reached for the brown envelope again.  One by one, she looked at the contents and realized that Gerald was leaving her everything that he owned.  The house in Vista Real was already transferred to her name, so were the Ford Expedition, the Starex van and the car he has acquired last year.  An account has been opened in her name, and the amount on the bankbook left her head reeling in disbelief.  She couldn’t believe Gerald would do this.  She was about to put everything back inside the envelope when she realized there was still one piece of document inside.  She pulled it out and realized it was the certificate of title to the house she was in right now, the PBB-Anilao.  She couldn’t understand.  She thought this house was owned by ABS-CBN.

         Kim scrambled to her feet to get her cellphone.  She needed to know.

         With shaky fingers, she dialed Direk Lauren’s number.

         “Hello, Direk?  Good afternoon po, si Kim po ito.”

         “O, Kim.  Kumusta?  Kelan kayo dumating?”

         “Nung isang araw lang po.  Direk, may gusto lang po sana akong malaman.”

         “Ano yun?”

         “May alam po ba kayo tungkol sa PBB-Anilao?”

         “What do you mean?”

         “Sino po ang totoong may-ari nito?”

         “Oh my God!  Kim, asan si Gerald?”  Suddenly, the director’s voice cracked with uncertaintly.  On his end, his hands were shaking and tears were beginning to form in his eyes.

         “Alam nyo rin po?  Direk, bakit di nyo sinabi?  Ako lang ata ang huling nakaalam…”  and Kim broke down into sobs once more.

         “I’m so sorry, Kimmy.  Gerald wanted so much to protect you.  Ayaw nyang sabihin kaagad kasi he was hoping against hope that he will get better.  Anak, ayoko sana’ng magtanong pero kelangan.  Asan si Gerald?”

         Kim took a while before she could answer.  “Direk, gusto kong sabihin na ok lang sya, pero sabi ni Mr. M nun daw huli syang tumawag sa doctor ni Ge…”  she broke down again, unable to continue what she was about to say.

         “Kimmy….”  Direk Lauren tried his best to console her from the other end of the line.

         “Direk, si Ge….”  Kim’s voice was almost inaudible.

         “Wag, Kim!  Ayokong tanggapin kung anuman ang gusto mong sabihin.  Naniniwala ako, God in his goodness, will never allow such a thing to someone as good a person as Gerald.”

         “Direk, di ko kaya pag nawala sya…”  His heart felt like breaking at her plea.  How he loved these kids.

         “Kim, wag ka muna’ng mag-isip ng ganyan.  Di pa naman natin alam kung ano’ng nangyari na.  Gusto mo bang tawagan ko ang doctor nya?”

         “Please po…ayokong marinig kung sakali man na wala na nga si Gerald.  Mamamatay ako…”  her sobs continued.

         “Sige, just hold on, ok?  Promise me you’re not going to do anything stupid, Kim.  Magagalit si Gerald pag may nangyari sa’yo…”

         “Yes, direk, I promise.  Dito lang po ako.”  And she hanged up.