Love Never Surrenders (Flashback 3)

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Kim did not realize that her birthday was just two weeks away.  She was busy juggling her work in between visiting Gerald in the hospital.  The doctors have been telling her that at this point, it was almost impossible for him to wake up from being in a coma.  But she never lost hope, she could not.  She felt she owed it to both of them.  So, when Mommy Vangie and Ken talked to her about releasing Gerald from the machine, she went ballistic, short of being hysterical, and pleaded so hard to give it some more time.  In the end, Mommy Vangie, seeing how affected she was, and how adamant she was that Gerald should stay in the hospital, gave in to her wishes, with the condition that if Gerald doesn’t wake up within a month, there would be no more argument about it.  For now, it was enough to pacify Kim.  At least, she had a month to do everything to make him come back.

 That day, after coming home from the hospital, Kim felt so weak and dizzy and nauseous.  She thought it was just the fatigue catching up with her.  Since it was Mommy Vangie’s turn to be with Gerald that night, she did not bother to cook dinner because she knew that Ken wouldn’t get off from work until the following morning.

She changed into something comfortable, hoping she’d feel better.  When she realized the dizziness wouldn’t ease up, she laid down on the bed and tried to get some sleep.  But like the previous nights, sleep was something that didn’t come easy.  Somehow, something felt wrong.  It’s been three days since she had felt that way.  She couldn’t eat very well because her stomach kept on rejecting the food she tried to eat.  All that sustained her were apple juice and water.

Finally realizing something, Kim suddenly sat up from the bed, her eyes round with shock.

“Oh my God!  I haven’t had my period for the last two months!”

She couldn’t define how she felt at that very moment.  She wanted to jump with joy, convinced that she was pregnant with Gerald’s child.  But at the same time, she wanted to cry in frustration, for fear that her child might never know its father.

Silently, she cried herself to sleep.  Tomorrow, she would buy a pregnancy kit to confirm her fears.

The following day, after getting off from work, she dropped by Duane Reade and bought a kit.  She went straight to the hospital but didn’t see Mommy Vangie.  She probably went home already, she thought.

“Hi babe…how’s your day…teka lang ha…I have to check on something.  I just want to make sure before I tell you…”  She went to the bathroom and did the test.  Five minutes later, she came out, all sweaty and tear-stained.

Pulling a chair, she sat beside Gerald and held his hand.

“Babe, kailangan mo na talagang gumising…Malapit ka nang maging daddy!”  She whispered, as if afraid someone might overhear.  Then realizing she was alone in the room, she laughed a bit before planting a kiss on his cheek, just a mere centimeter from his lips.  Then, as if he would react just yet, she came closer to his ears and whispered a bit louder, “Geraldo, kelangan mo na ‘ko pakasalan, nakakahiya, magiging dalagang ina ako pag di ka gumising…kaya bumangon ka na dyan!”

Finding her situation rather hopeless, Kim couldn’t help but cry.  Her sobs grew louder, but she never let go of his hands.

Meanwhile, Mommy Vangie was on the phone with Kim’s sister, Lakam.

“O, Lakam, nakakuha ka na ba ng ticket?  Malapit na ang birthday ni Kimmy.  Mas ok sana kung nandito kayo para naman hindi sya masyadong malungkot.  Nakausap ko na rin si Mr. M, pinayagan nya sina Melissa, Matt, Rayver, Shaina, Enchong at Maja.  Darating sila 2 days before her birthday.”

“Tita, sa mismong birthday na nya ang dating ko.  Chance passenger pa nga po ako eh.  Ang hirap kumuha ng ticket ngayon kasi summer na dito sa atin.  Parating fully booked.”

“Hindi bale, basta darating ka.  Tumawag ka na lang kung anong oras ng flight ha para maipasundo kita kay Ken.”

“Ok po.  Tita, thank you very much po ha.”

“Sus naman ang batang ito…eh para ko na ring anak si Kim eh.  No need to thank me.”

“Sige po, I’ll see you on the 19th.”

“Sige, ingat ka…God bless.”

After hanging up, she made a few more calls before going back to her room to rest.  She still have a few hours before she had to relieve Kim at the hospital.

Back at the hospital, Kim went to the nurses’ station to ask where the doctors’ directory was.  She was directed to the huge board right across the chapel, a few doors down from Gerald’s room.  She made her way to the board and looked for an OB-Gyne.  She chose from the roster of lady doctors and took note of her consultation schedule before making her way back to Gerald’s room.

Like what she always did, she took Gerald’s hand in hers before saying whatever was on her mind.

“Babe, sana kambal…isang babae at isang lalake.  Naalala mo yung segment natin sa E-live yata yun or sa the Buzz, yung promotion natin para sa Paano na Kaya?  Di ba pareho tayo na kambal ang gusto?  Akala siguro nila, pinag-usapan natin yun kahit hindi naman…pero, ipagdarasal ko talaga na sana nga eh twins ang maging anak natin.  Sana magising ka na.  Mahirap yata maglihi ng nag-iisa.  Sino’ng bibili ng mangga pag gusto ko kumain sa hatinggabi?  O di kaya ng sampaloc na matamis at maanghang?  Ayan, nangangasim tuloy ako…”

Kim stood up to get herself a glass of water.   was looking at him intently as she drank from her glass.  When she came back to his side, her resolve was as firm as ever.

“Don’t worry, babe, no matter what happens, hinding-hindi ko pababayaan ang magiging anak natin, promise!”   With that, tears flowed from her eyes once more, almost afraid to think of a future without Gerald by her side.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

         In the days that followed, Kim’s morning sickness became worse than ever.  She couldn’t bear the smell of any spices, let along the smell of anything being fried.  She couldn’t eat anything that has onions and garlic on it, no matter how small the amount was.  All she could eat was oatmeal.  Sometimes, she would buy fruits, but later on found out that she could only tolerate apples and grapes.

         On the fourth day, she decided to see the OB-Gyne to know just how far along she was in her pregnancy.  She still hasn’t told anybody.  But unknown to her, Mommy Vangie was already having doubts.  She often gets home to see if Kim ate the food she prepared for her whenever their schedules didn’t meet.  She usually left notes on the table, telling her to eat.  But in the last three days, Mommy Vangie noticed that the food she prepared was usually left untouched with a note from Kim apologizing for not being able to eat because she was in a hurry.

         That day, Kim was able to confirm that she was 10 weeks pregnant.  Barely able to contain her mixed emotions, she called up Gerald’s mom and asked her to meet her at the hospital.  She knew Mommy Vangie hasn’t slept yet, but she just couldn’t wait anymore.  She has to tell someone.

         Kim got to the hospital ahead of Mommy Vangie.  As soon as she entered Gerald’s room, she went over to him and kissed him on the lips.

         “Babe, may good news ako…confirmed na talaga.  Di na false alarm.  Magiging daddy ka na nga.  Kaya sige na, gumising ka na ha?  Hindi na ‘to Audrey-JR love story.  Totoo na yung pagbubuntis ko.  Gusto mo ba’ng ma-miss ang paghahanap ng mga hard-to-find food o di kaya ang check-ups namin ni baby?  Ikaw din, wag mo ko sisisihin ha…”

         She realized she was already crying by the time she finished her monologue.  She didn’t even realize that Mommy Vangie was already standing by the door, listening to her.

         “Mommy?  Kanina pa po ba kayo dyan?”  She asked, slightly surprised how fast Mommy Vangie got there.

         “Long enough, anak, to hear everything you told RJ…”  and the two women embraced, trying to get some more strength from each other, if that was even possible.

         “Kimmy, thank you ha?  This child is the best gift you could give my son.  Sana lang, magising na sya para naman ma-enjoy nya ang pagiging daddy.”

         “Hindi po, ma, eto ang pinaka-magandang regalo na naibigay nya sa aken…tulungan nyo po ako’ng magpalaki sa apo nyo ha?”

         “Syempre naman…ako pa!”  And she turned to her son, “RJ, anak, magkaka-apo na ako…thank you sa inyo ni Kimmy…”

         “Kim, nagpa-check up ka na ba?  Ilang weeks na daw?  Binigyan ka ba ng vitamins?”

         “Ma, easy lang po kayo…everything’s fine.  10 weeks na po ang apo nyo, and yes, may vitamins na po ako.”

         “Aba, naku, hindi ka na pwedeng magpuyat dito sa  ospital.  Saka, mag-quit ka na sa trabaho mo.  Kami na ni Ken ang bahala sa lahat ng gastusin…’

         “Ma, ayoko.  Kaya ko pa naman po..Hayaan nyo lang ako, please.”

         “Sige, pero mag-iingat ka lagi ha? Promise me…”

         “Promise po.”

         The two women were busy talking to each other that no one noticed the slight movement on the heart monitor.  It was coupled with another minimal reflexive motion of Gerald’s index finger.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

         It was Kim’s birthday.  She woke up early to prepare everything she would bring to the hospital.  She has already asked the permission of Zoe and the other doctors if she could hold a very private party inside the room for herself, for Gerald, his mom, Ken, his grandfathers and of course she invited Zoe and George.  She was given permission even by the hospital administration.

         She was excited because she would give the good news to everybody.

         Mommy Vangie prepared some extra food knowing that Kim’s sisters, Lakam and Twinkle, would be joining them later.  Matt, Mel, Rayver, Shaina, Enchong, Maja and Fred were also coming.  They planed in from Manila the day before.  It was a surprise for Kim.

         When she got to the hospital, Kim immediately tied the balloons on the windows, on Gerald’s bedposts, even on the door knob.  She placed a medium sized baby doll beside Gerald before arranging the food on the table.  She even bought a small cake with a cradle decorated with mini balloons on top.

         She went to sit beside Gerald and held his hand.

         “Babe, wake up…I want to make the announcement na kasama ka…please…”  and she closed her eyes to ask God for a miracle.

         Gerald could hear someone telling him to wake up, but try as he might, he just couldn’t open his eyes.  He couldn’t move, he couldn’t say anything, much less respond to the hand holding his.

         “God, please give me a chance.  I still want to fulfill my promise to Kim.  I love her very much…”  and a single teardrop flowed from his eye.

         Kim felt the hot liquid that dropped on her hand.  She felt her forehead, as if checking for sweat, and finding none, she looked at Gerald’s face.  Her eyes widened in shock as she realized he shed a tear.

         “Babe…babe?  I know you can hear me…kaya ka umiyak, di ba?  You want to be with me now…I know you do…pilitin mo, sige na, please, wake up, Ge, wake up!”

         Her voice rose a bit higher than the usual.  This seemed to have jolted Gerald back to consciousness.  He suddenly opened his eyes, but he just stared into space.  He blinked several times, as if trying to get his vision accustomed to the light.

         “Oh my God!  Thank you, thank you so much!”  Kim couldn’t contain her happiness.  She rang the emergency button and the nurse on duty immediately came to his unit.

         “He’s regained consciousness, please call Dr. Zoe Patterson!”  Kim shouted excitedly.

         “Yes, of course.”  And she left as fast as she had come.  A minute after, Zoe was already there checking his vitals.

         Gerald still hasn’t said anything.  Kim just stood by his side, holding his hand.

         “RJ, can you hear me?  If you can, grip my hand.”  Zoe cajoled him to respond.  And he did.  He gripped her hand with his free hand.

         “Ok, slowly, turn your head sideways, try to look at Kim.”

         This was done with such ease that Kim yielded a slight teasing from Zoe.

         “Mabilis pala pag sa’yo titingin,” and laughed heartily at her own joke.

         “Can you get an ice cube and place it on his mouth?  Konti-konti lang, just to make his sense of taste work again.”

         “Ok ate…”  She stood to get an ice cube, but Gerald held on to her, not letting go of her hand.

         “Babe, saglit lang.  kukuha lang ako ng ice cube sa ref.  Mabilis lang, ok?”  And as if in agreement, he let her go.

         Putting the ice cube on his mouth, Kim rubbed the cold solidified liquid on his lips.  He felt the drips of water trickling down to his throat, immediately giving him a feel of his tongue and mouth.

         “Baby…”  It was barely audible, but Kim heard him.

         “Ge?  Oh, God!  Thank you po!”  And she lunged herself at him.  Now she knows he will be ok.

         Half an hour later, Gerald was able to sit up and his oxygen had already been taken off.  Kim had already called Mommy Vangie and Ken.  The two were already on their way.  Mommy Vangie had also called Matt and the rest of the group to tell them to meet her at the hospital. 

         Kim sat beside Gerald on the bed, her head resting on his shoulders while his arm was around her.

         “I missed you so much, babe…”

         “Ako din, Kimmy, na-miss kita, sobra.  AKala ko hindi na kita makikita eh.”

         “Naku, makikita mo paglabas natin dito… lagot ka talaga saken…kainis ka!  Muntik na pala akong mabiyuda kaagad ng hindi ko nalalaman.”

         “Sorry na…I know you understand.  Ikaw lang ang inaalala ko.”

         “Yan ka na naman…parating ako…di mo man lang inisip na pag me nangyari sa’yo, mas higit na masakit saken yun kasi ikaw ang buhay ko…”

         “Sorry na nga eh.”

         Zoe stood up, smiling at the two.  “Hay naku, iwanan ko muna kayo sandali.  Tatawagan ko si George para madaanan na nya sina Gramps at siguradong matutuwa yung mga yun.”

         “Thanks ate Zoe!”  The two answered her in unison.

         As soon as Zoe has left, Gerald immediately planted a kiss on Kim’s lips.

         “Ayyy!   Hoy, Geraldo, mag-toothbrush ka nga muna!  Ang kapal nito, hahalik-halik ka dyan eh di ka pa nga nagwa-wash.”

         “Sus, kung di ko pa alam, parati mo akong ninanakawan ng halik nung naka-comatose ako.”  And he pouted, clutching his chest, he feigned an imaginary pain.

         Kim panicked and rushed to push the emergency button.  Good thing Gerald caught her hand before it was able to do so.

         “O, o, ano’ng ginagawa mo?”

         “Tatawag ng nurse.  May masakit ba?  Saan?  Sorry ha?  Nagbibiro lang naman ako eh.”  Tears were already forming in her eyes.

         “Sus, ang baby ko, natakot na naman…don’t worry, hinding hindi na ako mawawala sa’yo.  Kita mo, not even death could keep me away from you.”

         “Nakakainis ka talaga…wag mo na ‘ko lolokohin ng ganun ha?  Mamamatay talaga ako sa takot.  Kung alam mo lang ang pinagdaanan ko…”  And with that, she sobbed uncontrollably.

         Gerald gathered Kim in his arms and embraced her tightly.

         “I’m sorry…I’m really sorry.  I never meant to hurt you, Kimmy.  Sorry talaga.  Ssshhh…don’t cry, please?”

         And that was how their families found them.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

         After all the excitement, and after everyone has arrived, Mommy Vangie distributed the paper plates and utensils.  They sang happy birthday to Kim before sharing the small feast.

         “O, yung cake mo, baka makalimutan.  Teka, hindi ba nagkamali ng bigay sa’yo dun sa bakeshop?”  Ate Lakam asked Kim before lighting the candles.

         “hindi, yan talaga ang pinagawa ko.”

         “Ha?  Bakit?  Ano ka, baby?”  Melissa seconded.

         “Syempre, baby sya ni Ge.  Di ba Kim?”  It was Matt to the rescue.

         “Everyone, may announcement kami ni Mommy Vangie…”

         “Baby…”  Gerald interrupted her.

         “Yes babe?”

         “Ako na…”

         “Ha?  Alam mo na ang sasabihin ko?”

         “Oo naman, sinabi mo na saken, di ba?”

         “Aber, ano’ng announcement ko?”

         “Guys, we’re getting married already…”

         “Mali….”  Kim interrupted, but Gerald continued his announcement.

         “….kasi ayokong ipanganak ni Kim ang baby namin ng walang basbas ng kasal..”

         Kim looked at Gerald.  Shocked that he really knew about the baby.

         “I could hear you…everything you said….I just couldn’t open my eyes.”

         Kim cried, unmindful of the people around them,  went back to his arms and kissed him on the lips, right in front of everyone…

        "Thank you, Lord, this is my best ever birthday!"  Kim uttered a small prayer as she held on to Gerald, no intention whatsoever of letting him go.