Chapter 37: Gerald’s Birthday-part1

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Kim wanted to surprise Gerald on his birthday celebration.  She felt like she owed it to him for turning down his proposal.  It’s been a week since they got back from Anilao and although everything was back to normal, except for the occasional instances when she couldn’t find him, Kim still felt somewhat guilty because she could see how sad Gerald was at the set of KTM.  He seemed pre-occupied most of the time, and she even caught him staring into space a couple of times.

          She and Ate Darlene, Gerald’s sister, collaborated on the details of the party, but it was mostly her ideas that were implemented.  She paid for a photobooth with a special backdrop for photo souvenirs.  She also got a caterer to provide the food and the elegant set-up after she had gotten the permission from the Homeowners’ Association to block off the street where Gerald lives.

          The day they left Anilao, Gerald was still sweet with her, he still held her, saw to her every need, and never mentioned the proposal again.  She respected his silence.  It was probably for the best.  She was taken out of her stupor when her cellphone rang.  It was Gerald’s mom.

          “Hello, ma?  Good morning po.  Napatawag po kayo?”

          “Yes, iha.  I have a surprise party for RJ next, next weekend.  Pwede ka ba’ng pumunta?  Ang alam nya kasi blessing lang ng bahay.  May nasabi na ba sya sa’yo?”

          “Sabi nga po nya uuwi sya dyan sa March 12.  Eh kaso po, di ako makakasama kasi photoshoot pa ako.  Pero pwede po akong sumunod.  Sasabihin ko pa po ba sa kanya na darating ako?  Baka kasi mag-tanong yun, alam nyo na.”

          “Wag na…wag mo na sabihin.  Ikaw kasi ang sorpresa ko sa kanya.  Alam mo namang makasama ka lang, masayang masaya na ang anak ko.”

          “Sige po, Ma.  May kelangan pa po ba akong dalhin o may maitutulong pa po ba ako sa preparations?”

          “Basta bahala ka na mag-invite sa mga andyan sa Maynila, kina Direk Ruel, sa mga executives ng KW, sa lahat-lahat na ng malalapit sa inyong dalawa ni RJ.”

          “Sige po, Ma.  Ako na po ang bahala.  Kelangan nyo po ba sina Ali at Joven ng mas maaga?  Pwede ko po sila sabihan na pumunta na dyan ng mas maaga.”

          “Much better, iha.  O, sya, sige na at alam kong may inaasikaso ka pa rin dyan para sa party nya this weekend.  Thank you, anak ha.  You always take good care of RJ.  Sana talaga magpakasal na kayo, para maging anak na talaga kita.”

          “Mommy talaga o…darating din po tayo dyan.  Ingat po kayo ha?  At wag masyadong magpagod.  Iutos nyo na lang po sa iba yung mga dapat pang asikasuhin.”

          “Sige, sinabi mo eh.  Salamat, Kimmy.  I love you anak.”

          “Love you too, Ma.”

          Kim exhaled deeply, feeling guiltier than ever.  What would his mom think if she finds out that Gerald has already proposed and she turned him down.

          She sadly went back to the preparations that needed to be done.  She still had some stockists to check out, including the gift she ordered for Gerald.

************************************************************************************************************************************************

          It was an ordinary day and Gerald wasn’t expecting anything out of it.  Kim said that she prepared a small get-together to celebrate his 21st birthday.  It was still a bit early, just a little past 6pm, but the taping ended earlier than usual.  Everyone, it seemed, was on weekend mode already.

          He decided to go home right after the set was packed up.  Since Kim had no schedule today, or so she said, she would probably be going to his house anytime soon.  And based on the schedule Zoe gave him, he wanted to spend more time with her now more than ever.

          It was almost  dark when his car the corner of his street.  He immediately saw that it was blocked off though somebody removed the barrier as soon as he saw his car approaching.  As he passed by the good Samaritan, he rolled down his window to say thanks when he recognized that it was Joven.

          “Sus, akala ko kung sino’ng mabait ang nag-alis ng harang… bakit andito ka?  Andyan na ba si Kim?”

          “Oo, kanina pang tanghali, hindi na nga umalis.  Sya lahat nag-ayos para sa party mo.”

          He answered with a smile and continued towards the house.  He parked along the street because a beautiful set-up was blocking his driveway.  He got out of the car and was greeted by the catering staff.  As he entered the house, he saw that Kim was all over the place, giving instructions to the waiters in between making calls to their closest friends.

          Kim sensed his presence right away.  She turned and found him checking her out.

          “Hi baby…kanina ka pa?”

          “Di naman.  Just enjoying the view.”

          “Which one?  Yung setting o ako?”  She smiled her sweetest.

          “Syempre ikaw!  Sino pa ba’ng mas gaganda sa girlfriend ko?”  And he gave her a kiss on the forehead.  “Shower lang ako ha?  Ang init eh.”

          “Ok, but don’t take too long ha?  Mamaya lang nandito na ang mga bisita mo.  Inihanda ko na nga pala ang damit mo sa ibabaw ng bed.”

          “Thanks, baby.”

************************************************************************************************************************************************

          The party was a success.  Gerald seemed very happy with the preparations she made.  They both enjoyed the photobooth and even had several pictures of them taken before, during and after the party.

          “O, Kimmy, bakit andyan ka sa labas?  Halika dito sa loob.  Konti na lang naman ang tao dyan, hayaan mo na si RJ, susunod na rin yan,”  Ate Darlene called out to her.

          “Oo ate, kausapin ko lang yung caterer tungkol sa mga left-overs.  Sunod na ako sa’yo.”

          Kim went over to the buffet table and talked with the caterer.  She didn’t notice that Gerald was just a few steps away from her, talking with someone on the phone.

          “Ate, I can’t just up and leave, alam mo yon.  Hindi naman ang Star Magic ang problema eh.  Ayokong iwan si Kim.”

          She looked up as she heard what he said.  “Sino’ng kausap ng mokong na ‘to eh andito naman si Ate Darlene?  Ah, baka si Ate Jen.”  She was referring to Gerald’s other half-sister.

          “Ok lang ako, don’t worry.  Asan ba si kuya George?  Can I talk to him, please?”  He waited for a few seconds before he spoke again, “O, kuya…musta?  I’m ok, I’m ok, don’t worry.  Can I ask you a favor?  Can you take Ate Zoe off my back?  She’s been forever bugging me, man!  I love her dearly and I know she meant well, but can I just enjoy my birthday with my special girl?  Just tell her to give me two weeks.  I promise you I’ll do as you tell me….Ok, thanks, man, I owe you one.  No, don’t give her the phone anymore.  Just tell her my battery probably ran out.  I’m putting off my cellphone, please don’t call me tonight, ok?  I want to spend as much time with Kimmy as I could.  Bye, kuya…see you soon.  Thanks for the greetings.  Kiss the angels for me.”

          As soon as Gerald hang up, Kim turned away so she wouldn’t be discovered.  Deep inside of her, she wanted to laugh.  It was silly of her to get jealous over a girl named Zoe.  He called her “Ate”.  That must mean something.  Or has she just forgotten?

          Kim was turning her brains upside down trying to remember if she had already met the Zoe Gerald was talking to.  She didn’t notice that Gerald was already in front of her.

          “Kimmy?  May problema ba?”

          “Ha?  Ah, eh, wala, wala…kanina ka pa ba dyan?”

          “Oo, ang lalim ng iniisip mo ah.  Kasama naman siguro ako dun kahit konti?”  He .

          “Syempre ikaw lang…halika nga dito sa tabi ko.”

          She hugged him tightly, and gave him a passionate kiss on the lips before a chorus of catcalls and whistles interrupted them.

          “Boy, happy birthday, boy!!!”  It was Ali, leading the group composed of Matt and Melissa, Enchong and Erich, Rayver and Shaina, Jake and Maja, and the rest of the Fab boys.

          “O, nabusog ba kayo?  Sorry ha, no liquors, utos ni Kumander,”  referring to Kim.

          “Oy, hindi ah!  Wag kayo maniwala, ayaw lang nya talaga uminom kaya di sya nagpabili ng drinks…”

          “Asus, ang dalawang ito talaga…”  Matt teased them.  “O, sya, aalis na kami para naman masolo mo na itong si future Mrs. Anderson…”  and catcalls and whistles erupted once again as the group exodused towards the parking area.

          Kim and Gerald watched them as they held each other, waving and laughing at the same time.

          “Masaya ka ba?”  She asked him.

          “Oo naman, basta kasama ka, masayang-masaya ako.  Hindi ba obvious?”

          “Obvious na obvious nga eh…Babe?  Parang nanlalamig ka?  Masama ba ang pakiramdam mo?”

          “Hindi naman…pagod lang siguro.  Halika na, pasok na tayo, wala na rin naming bisita.  Saka siguradong pagod na pagod ka na rin.  Di ka pa tumitigil simula kaninang umaga.”

          “Anything for you.  I love you, Ge.”

          “I love you too.”

          “Teka, di mo pa nakita ang gift ko eh.”

          “Ha?  My binigay ka na ba?  Eh san ko nailagay?”

          “Sira!  Wala pa…ayun o.”  She pointed at something by pouting her lips.  Gerald followed her gaze and his eyes widened as he caught a glimpse of something white adorned with a big, pink ribbon.

          “Wooooo, Oh my God!  Baby, this is too much!”  Gerald whooped in delight as he approached the elegant golf cart parked next to his APV.  He climbed up to test it and found yet another surprise.  There on the seat was a very beautiful Louis Vuitton bag.

          For the second time that night, Gerald was speechless.  He climbed off the cart and went to where Kim was watching him.  Without saying a word, he scooped her up and brought her to the cart.  He slid her on the seat and went to climb up on the other side.

          “Lika, test drive natin…”

          “Ge, gabi na…bukas na lang.  Pahinga na muna tayo, please?”

          “Sige na nga, pero promise sasamahan mo ako mag-ikot dito sa village bukas ha?”

          “Opo, ang kulit…”

          “Just making sure…o, lika na, Kumander, tulog na tayo…”

          “Oy,oy, anong tulog na tayo?  Uuwi kaya ako.”

          “Wag na, birthday ko na eh.  I want to spend the day with you, Kimmy.  Please?”

          He looked so angelic as he looked at her with puppy eyes.  She couldn’t turn him down, not after turning down his marriage proposal.

          “Sige na nga.  Pasalamat ka at wala si Mommy Vangie.  Naku, kung andito yun, hindi talaga pwede.”

          “Sus, yun pa! Eh kulang na nga lang eh ipakasal tayo nun eh.  Mahal na mahal ka ng nanay ko, Kimmy.”

          “Si mommy lang?”

          “Syempre lalo na ako.  Tinatanong pa ba’yon?  Akala ko memorized mo na yun eh…I love you so much, Kimberly.  Thank you ha?”

          She smiled and led him towards the house, arm in arm, the LV bag on his other hand.