Better Together (Epilogue Part 2)

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Gerald still wanted to push through with the St. Patrick's Cathedral wedding even when Kim and the rest of the family voted against it already. His stubbornness got the better of him so, in the next few days, he discreetly made the arrangements.

One day before the wedding, Mommy Vangie and Kim were busy in the kitchen trying out a new cookie recipe when the doorbell rang. Kimmy took off her apron and wiped her hand before going to the door. She peeped through the window to see who it was. She only saw two hands trying to balance 4 big white boxes.

As soon as Kim opened the door, the man peaked through the side of the boxes and asked, “May I talk with Mrs. Kimberly Sue Anderson? I have some deliveries for her.”

“Please come in, I am Kimberly Anderson. Who are these from?”

The man placed the boxes down on the floor and took out a receipt booklet from his back pocket. “Could you please sign here? It’s from your husband, Mr. Gerald Anderson.”

“Oh, ok. Here,” and she held the receipt back. “Thank you.”

As soon as the man left, Kim hollered to call her mother-in-law, “Maaaaaaa! Mommmyyyy….”

Mommy Vangie ran to the living room, apron and all. “Bakit, Kimmy? Ano’ng masakit? May nangyari ba sa’yo?” She was in near panic.

Not trusting her voice, Kim motioned towards the boxes.

“Ano ‘to? San galing ang mga yan?”

“Kay Ge daw po.”

“Kala ko naman kung napano ka na, anak. Uli-uli ha, wag ka sisigaw ng ganon, akala ko tuloy lumabas na ang mga apo ko eh.”

“Sorry po, ma…na-excite lang ako.”

“O, sya, halika, buksan natin…ay, teka, hihinaan ko lang yung oven at baka naman masunog yung cookies natin.”

After several minutes, Kim and Mommy Vangie opened the boxes and found their wedding dresses inside. There was also one for Gramma and two sets of suits for Gramps and for Gerald.

“Ang aga naman nito…sana sa Manila na lang tayo bumili.” Kim felt happy but a bit disappointed that Gerald didn’t take her with him when he went shopping.

“Anak, may note ata si RJ, tingnan mo, o.” Mommy Vangie pointed to a noted at the bottom of the box containing her dress.

Kim took out the piece of paper and carefully opened it. It was indeed a note from Gerald.

“Babe…please give me the honor of being your husband for the second time. I’ll meet you at St. Patrick’s Cathedral tomorrow at exactly 9am. Please don’t keep me waiting…I love you very much. Gerald.”

“Ma…nagbibiro ba’tong anak n’yo? As in, basta na lang tayo pupunta sa St. Patrick’s? Asan ba ‘yun?”

“Patingin nga, Kimmy…” and Mommy Vangie read the note and smiled. She handed it back to Kim and held her daughter-in-law in her arms.

“Kimmy, mahal na mahal ka ng anak ko. Sana, wag nyong pababayaan ang isa’t isa. Kung anuman ang problema, pag-usapan nyo at huwag na huwag kayong maniniwala sa ibang tao nang hindi muna naririnig ang panig ng isa’t isa. Ipangako mo sana sa akin ‘yan…”

“Opo, mommy. Pangako po. Makakaasa kayo na mamahalin pa namin lalo ni Gerald ang isa’t isa, kung possible pa po na mahigitan ang pagmamahal namin ngayon. Hinding hindi ko po sya iiwan kahit anong mangyari. Salamat po sa pagtanggap nyo sa’ken. Napakalaking bagay po nito sa’ken, dahil sa inyo, naramdaman ko kung papaano magka-meron ng isang ina. Thanks, ma.”

The two women hugged each other tightly, trying to hold back their tears.

“Ay, ma…sukat natin yung mga damit…asan na kaya sina Gramps?” Kim’s excitement heightened as she took out her dress and held it against her.

“Oy, anak, kami lang ang magsusukat…ikaw, hindi pwede.”

“Bakit po?” Kim’s face sagged at her mother-in-law’s declaration.

“Bawal sa bride ang mag-sukat ng gown, baka di matuloy ang kasal…”

“Eh, ma, second wedding na nga po ito eh. Pwede ba namang hindi pa matuloy?”

“Basta, sumunod ka na lang na bata ka…ok? Tatawagin ko lang ang lolo at lola nyo…ayyyy, ang cookies….!!!!” And Mommy Vangie disappeared into the kitchen, leaving Kim behind.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

8:50 AM – St. Paul’s Cathedral, NYC

Gerald stood beside the last pew on the left side of the aisle, facing the altar. He was just looking at the image of the Cross, as if uttering a silent prayer. He looked as gorgeous as ever in his Armani suit. Gramps and George, Zoe’s husband, stood not very far from him, patiently waiting for Kim, Zoe and Mommy Vangie to arrive.

A few minutes later, Gerald approached George and asked if his bride has already arrived.

“Are they here yet?”

“Not yet, RJ, but don’t worry, Zoe called me to tell me that they’re already on their way.”

As if on cue, the horse-drawn carriage Gerald rented from the Central Park Management pulled to a stop in front of the church and Zoe and Mommy Vangie got out before Kim stepped up to the curb.

Gerald stared at his wife and smiled. He just couldn’t get enough of her.

The wedding march started and the simple entourage started its way towards the altar. As Gerald waited for Kim at the end of the aisle, his eyes never left her. She was so beautiful in her Vera Wang empire cut off-white chiffon dress. It reached her ankles. The material created a flowy illusion that run from just below her s and ended just above her ankles. It has a very dainty satin ribbon tied at the back. The mini-sleeves were bell-shaped and the neckline was cut conservatively, barely showing her otherwise y collarbone.

When Kim reached his side, Gerald took her hands and guided her to their positions.

The ceremony was very solemn and meaningful, especially for the 2nd-time newlyweds. Kim and Gerald both cried during the recitation of their wedding vows. This made their wedding all the more beautiful.

After the rites, the small group proceeded to Le Cirque down at Madison Avenue. They enjoyed a hearty meal of Lobster Bisque, Risotto Primavera, Steamed Halibut, Roasted Beef Fillet, Crème Brulee and coffee.

“Happy, Mrs. Anderson?” Gerald whisphered to his wife.

“Oo naman…bakit, ikaw ba hindi?”

“Ako pa?!” Gerald answered with a smile pasted on his face.

“Thank you, baby, ang lahat ng ginagawa mo, sobra-sobra mo akong pinapasaya…sana lang matumbasan ko lahat ng ginagawa mo.”

“Kimmy, di naman tayo nagko-kompetensya sa pagmamahal eh. Just be there for me, always. Ok na saken yun. Masaya na ‘ko.”

“Alam mo, hindi ko alam kung ano’ng ginawa ko para ma-deserve lahat lahat ng binibigay mo saken. Thank you talaga, baby… I love you so much.”

“I love you too, babe…”

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************
One month later

Boy Abunda placed his luggage on the cart and wheeled it towards the exit. He checked his watch only to find that he hasn’t adjusted the time yet. His eyes roamed the arrival area, looking for a familiar face that has been missed for quite sometime already.

Gerald saw him wheeling his cart towards the exit. He smiled and called out his name, “Tito Boy! Over here!”

At the sound of the very deep and masculine voice, he turned around and saw the other half of his favorite local loveteam.

“Hi Gerald! Thanks for inviting me over.” They hugged each other like they haven’t seen each other for years instead of just a few months.

“It’s my pleasure, tito boy, always my pleasure.”

Gerald led Tito Boy to the parking lot where his car was parked. After putting the latter’s luggage inside the trunk, he slid into the driver’s seat and they were off.

“So, how have you been? Honestly.”

“Tito Boy, is this already the start of your interview?” Gerald asked, laughing at his mentor’s impatience to get the whole story.

“No, no…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like Krissy. She sends her love, by the way. She misses both of you too.”

“I was just kidding, tito boy…of course, you can ask away…anything.”

“Seriously? I was just wondering what really happened. I know that the management has done its best to cover up for your absence and all. It’s not as if I didn’t know anything. Just to be transparent, I want you to know what I know…”

“I know. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I trust you. Kim trusts you also. That’s the reason why we’re both seating here, talking.”

“Thank you. That’s why we love you and Kim so much. You’re always honest with us, even if we have to keep mum most of the time.”

“I haven’t thanked you yet for not telling the world. Tito, thank you so much. We’ll forever be in your debt. That goes for mommy celine too.”

“You’re welcome. And forget about debts. I’m not here to collect.” Boy laughed at him, happy to finally share in the pain and joy that their favorite protégés have gone through, bravely.

“I know that. I invited you, remember. So, please consider this as a vacation also. I wouldn’t want you to go back to Manila with only a lot of work in your hands. Of course, you just have to enjoy our company.”

“Oh, no worries, I’m 101% sure that I will.”

*********************************************************************************************************************

An hour later, Gerald was parking the car in front of the house. He blew his horn twice to let Kim know that they were already there. And sure enough, Kim came out of the front door a minute later.

“Tito Boy!!!!” She squealed, running to his waiting arms.

“Kimmy! O, be careful…you might hurt yourself..”

“Thank you so much for coming…I missed you so much!”

”I missed you too , baby girl…So did your mommy celine.”

“Oo nga po,” Kim agreed with him, pouting a little as she fondly remembered Kris Aquino who has taken her and Gerald under her protective wing from the very start.

“O, bago kayo magka-iyakan dyan, tayo na sa loob, malamig dito,” Gerald urged the pair.

As soon as they entered the house, Boy was held in endless embraces from the other members of the Anderson household.

After all the excitement, finally, everyone was seated at the table fully laden with a delicious feast meticulously prepared by Gerald’s mom.

Forty-five minutes later, everyone was led inside the house and out into the front porch where coffee was served. Gerald led Kim on the rattan couch and told her to stay put. Tito Boy joined her and they both watched as Gerald fussed over the preparation of their coffee.

“O, tito boy, here’s your coffee..babe, milk na lang sa’yo ha? Bawal ang caffeine sa babies eh…”

“Did I hear you right, Ge? Did you just say babies?” asked Tito boy.

Gerald looked at Kim first before turning to Tito Boy to answer his question. “Yes, tito, you heard me right. We’re having twins.”

“Oh, my, God! Kristeta would definitely freak out! O, sige na, are you guys ready for the interview? Masyadong atat eh, ‘no? Pasensya na ha? I missed both of you and so did a lot of your friends. This exclusive is really a bomb waiting to explode. Pardon me for saying so, but it’s the truth…”

“Alam po namin ‘yun, kaya nga pinag-isipan muna namin ng husto bago kami tumawag sa inyo,” Kim answered honestly.

“But we’re ready to answer all your questions, tito, don’t worry,” Gerald continued what Kim left hanging.

“O, sige, mag-start na tayo…”