Bundles of Joy

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

“…So, there you have it ladies and gentlemen, the big revelations from our favorite loveteam, Kim Chiu and Gerald Anderson… “

Kim and Gerald hugged each other tightly after they heard the closing spiel of Boy Abunda for that week’s special edition of The Buzz. The show was a special tribute for both of them. Within minutes, their phones started ringing, their email accounts were swamped with queries about the revelations they made. And sure enough, the press was also buzzing with excitement. It was one heck of a busy day…

“Babe…ano’ng gagawin natin? Sabi mo sa interview, three months pa before we go home. Eh di ba, after six months pa ako manganganak? Pano yun?”

“We’ll find a way to delay everything, babe…don’t worry. Bahala na sina Mr. M at Ma’am Charo dun. Ang importante, ok lang kayo ng mga bata.”

“Iiwan natin ang kambal dito kay Mommy?” Kim was already getting teary-eyed as the thought settled.

“Kimmy, kung talagang gusto mo bumalik sa trabaho, you know that we cannot bring the twins back to Manila with us… pero kung di mo sila kayang iwan, pwede rin namang dito na tayo… we can leave showbusiness altogether and start a new life here in the States. Technically, American citizen ka na because we’re already married. We can stay here for as long as we want.”

“I know…pero sayang naman ang mga trabaho natin…saka di pa rin natin nase-settle yung mga properties natin dun…”

“Oy, properties mo lang…binigay ko na sa’yo lahat eh…” With that, Gerald slid off the couch to avoid Kim’s pinches.

“Oo na…payag na…di ko naman hiningi ah!” And she pouted like she always does, knowing that her husband wouldn’t be able to stand it when she becomes bratty.

“Uuuuyyy, nagtatampo na yan… halika na nga…masyado namang sensitive ang buntis na ‘to…” And with that, Gerald held her closely and kissed the tip of her nose before engulfing her in a very tight embrace…

6 Months Later

Kim was in the kitchen cooking ham and cheese omelette for breakfast while Gerald was taking a shower. Mom Vangie has already left for her day job and Ken didn’t come home the night before. His flight was delayed due to the weather condition. Winter has set in and it has snowed heavily in the last three days.

She felt the cramps slowly at first. Then the pain kicked in. “Geeeeeeeeeeeee…..!!!!!!!”

Gerald was already putting his shirt on when he heard Kim’s scream. He scrambled for his slippers and hastily went down to see what was wrong with his wife. He saw her gripping the edge of the back of the chair while holding her stomach.

“Kimmy? Ano’ng nangyari sa’yo? Oh my God! Your water broke…naku, teka lang, maupo ka muna, tatawagan ko si Ken, este si Mommy…hindi si ate Zoe na lang…halika dali…” And Gerald was going back and forth, coaxing Kim to sit down while half-walking half-running to reach the phone. In the end, he went back to the living room without settling Kim on the chair first. She was still gripping the back of the chair.

“Geraldoooooooo! Wag mo ‘ko iwan ditoooo!!!!”

Gerald came back, more confused than ever. “Oh my God! Oh my God! What do we do now? Breathe babe, breathe….hoooo hoooo hooo hooo…”
And he started coaching Kim just as the Lamaze instructor has told him…

“Dalhin mo na ‘ko sa ospital bago ka mag-breathe in breathe out, pwede?!!!” Kim shouted at him. He half-carried Kim to the car while frantically searching his pockets for the car keys. Finally, he found it and Kim was deposited to the backseat. Gerald went back to the house to lock the doors. After doing so, he ran out again and drove Kim to the hospital. On their way, he fumbled for his phone to call his mom.

“Ma? Oh my God! Kim’s water broke! Can you meet us at the hospital?” Without waiting for an answer, he slammed the phone down on the passenger seat and continued driving like a mad man.

At the emergency room, Kim was immediately placed on a gurney, stripped and scrubbed before being anaesthesized. Gerald was also scrubbed and a mask was shoved in his hand. He never left Kim’s side, watching her, caressing her cheeks, holding her hand, cajoling her to be strong and to keep calm…Around them, everyone prepared for the operation.

Kim smiled amidst the chaos and the pain. She held on to Gerald’s hand as if trying to get her strength from him. He kissed her on the forehead before gripping her hand. “Don’t worry, baby, I’m just here…”

Ten minutes later, Kim was sweating so much yet she couldn’t help but smile as she looked at Gerald who was sweating as much as she was. She noticed how pale her husband was, as if any minute he would faint.

“Babe, ok ka lang?” She asked in between contractions.

“Ha? Oo, oo, ok lang ako…don’t worry about me, just focus on your breathing…hooo…hoooo…hooo… breathe in…breathe out…ok?”

“Ge, relax ka lang, ok? Parang ikaw ang manganganak eh…yung videocam, dala mo ba? Gusto ni mommy na i-record mo yung pag-anak ko…hoy, wag mo ako kukunan ng censored ha!” And she squirmed in pain again…

“Doctor, please attend to my wife…she’s already in pain…” Gerald pleaded the doctor who just came inside the operating room.

“Mr. Anderson, it’s ok, don’t panic. It’ll be over before you know it. My, you’re as white as a ghost! If that’s the effect of childbirth on men, I never want to have kids…” And the doctor turned to have himself scrubbed.

“Aaaaaaggghhhhh! Geraaaaaaald! Oh my God!!!!! Uuuuuuggggghhhh!!!!”

“Kimmy, baby, honey, sweetheart!!!! What do I do? Please, please tell me…Oh my God!! Doctor, please! Help my wife! Oh my God!!!” Gerald was already in a state of panic and he didn’t know where to turn. When he saw the doctor urging Kim to push, he held her hand and breathed with her…

“Just one last push, Mrs. Anderson…there, almost done…come on, baby, let’s go…”

“Uha…uha…uha…uha….”

“Congratulations! It’s a girl…Nurse, please clean her up..” And the doctor passed the baby on to the assisting nurse before turning back to Kim. “Okay, one more….Push! Don’t forget to breathe, come on…push! Alright…here you go…”

“Uha…uha…uha…uha…”

“It’s a boy! Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson! Your twins will be brought to the nursery after they are cleaned and dressed. You may request that they be brought to your room afterwards.”

Kim turned to Gerald and was surprised to see him gone. She was still a bit intoxicated because of the anesthesia. But before she succumbed to sleep, she caught sight of him on the floor, unconscious. The excitement was obviously too much for him.