Chapter 10: Plans

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Kim’s Plans

Kim has just finished putting up the banners and the last of the ribbons at the living room of Gerald’s house.  She stayed until 4 that morning to finish her “Welcome Home, Ge” banners which she painstakingly posted on strategic places inside the Vista Real residence.  Inside Gerald’s room, she left on top of the bed the huge heart-shaped collage of scanned pictures of the two of them at every place they have visited, be it in other countries or just out of town shows within the country.  The collage was bordered with rose-scented pink potpourri.  On top of the bed’s headboard, a “welcome home, baby” banner made of cut-out letters was posted.  She knew that Gerald would be arriving early tomorrow, but would be going straight to Gensan before coming back to Manila on the 30th.  His mom would follow the next day with Joven and Ali.  That means she still has 3 days to plan for the Welcome Home party with only herself as the invited guest.  Her lips curled into a playful smile as she recounted her plans for Gerald’s homecoming.

Before closing up, Kim checked the pantry for the supplies she would need for the special dinner she has in mind.  Satisfied that she would have everything ready by the time Gerald arrives, she gathered her things and left.

Matt’s, Rayver’s and Melissa’s Plans

Matt has just fetched Melissa at her condo and they are meeting Rayver at the latter’s place.  Gerald will be arriving tomorrow and they need to finalize their plans to get Kim to admit that she and Gerald are already a couple for years now.

“Ray, we’re here,” Matt calls out as he and Mel opened the front door of the Cruz’s house.

“Pare, come in.  Dito ako sa kitchen,”  Rayver answered.  He was putting the last dish on the table as his friends showed up.

“Ano?  Na-traffic ba kayo?”  Rayver pulled a chair for Melissa and handed Matt a bottle of beer.

“Di naman, ok lang,”  Melissa countered.  “O, ano na’ng plano?”

Matt sat beside Melissa as Rayver pulled the chair in front of him.  “Eto ang naisip ko, we’ll make up a character, babae syempre, and make Kim jealous to the point that she will be the one to demand that they admit to their relationship in public.”

“Pwede,” Rayver agreed.  “Pero, how are we going to let her know that this imaginary girl is a threat to their relationship?  Alam mo naman yun, secured na secured sa pagmamahal ni Ge.”

“Oo nga,” Melissa interjected.  “Mahirap yan.  Kim wouldn’t buy it for sure.  Alam nya na hindi sya kayang palitan ni Ge.  As in head over heels inlove ang barkada nyo sa friend ko.”

“Yan ang problema sa inyong mga babae,” Matt suddenly reacted.  “Palibhasa alam nyo na mahal na mahal namin kayo, inaabuso nyo naman.”

“Hoy, Matthew Evans, wag ka nga mag-inarte dyan!   Di bagay sa’yo ‘no!”  Melissa disregarded Matt’s pouting and obvious ploy to pick an argument with her.  When Matt realized he wouldn’t win this round, he sat beside her at the table and put his arms around her.

“I know, I wouldn’t win, no matter what, di ba Rayver?”  asked Matt, looking intently at Rayver, as if trying to convey a message.

“Yeah.  Yan ang problema nyo ni Ge, mga under kasi kayo, hahaha!”  Rayver teases Matt while Melissa holds back a snicker.

“Oo na…teka, nawawala tayo sa usapan eh.  Ano na?”  Answered Matt, trying to veer the conversation away from his and Gerald’s plight when it comes to their girlfriends.

“Sige, ganito na lang.  I’ll invite Kim over tonight.  Di ba you’re going to Gensan tomorrow?  The minute you get there, try to talk to Mommy Vangie so that she’ll get along with our plan.  Di bale na walang alam si Ge.  At least that way, magalit man si Kim, sa atin na lang tatlo.  Once you get Mommy Vangie’s approval, call me and then just go with the flow.  Kunwari, you guys are still at the airport kasi may susunduin pa si Ge na childhood friend.  Then, as soon as you’ve had your dinner, dare nyo si Ge sa isang beer marathon.  Alam nyo naman yun, madaling malasing.  And then, ako, ang goal ko is to make Kim as anxious as possible so that she won’t think twice about getting a ticket to Gensan.  Once na nag-work ang ploy natin, you go back here ahead of the two so that they will have some time to sort things out.  O, di ba bongga?”  Melissa smiled at the two boys as she confidently laid out her plan.

Two Angels’  Plans

Meanwhile, at the conference room of ABS-CBN, Mr. M, Ms. Charo, Direk Ruel (Paano na Kaya), Direk Eric and Direk Trina (Kung Tayo’y Magkakalayo), Ate Portia (Kim’s handler) and Ate Nhila (Gerald’s handler), and Sir Joey, Ate Auie and Ate Donna (KW Execs) have just finished their meeting regarding possible temporary solutions to the problem brought about by Gerald’s health condition.  Mr. M has given the handlers instructions to re-arrange the schedules of Kim and Gerald as per the unanimous decision of the people who attended the meeting.  They were to report back to Mr. M and Ms. Charo before Kim and Gerald get back for the 1st ASAP 2010 live telecast on January 3.

Ate Portia and Ate Nhila went inside the dressing room usually occupied by the Kimerald tandem during ASAP.  They still haven’t gotten over the announcement made by Mr. M two hours ago.  Ate Nhila couldn’t stop crying because somehow, she felt some guilt.  She had no inkling whatsoever that something was wrong with her ward.  To think that Gerald’s schedule for the last three months was as full as he could handle.  He never complained, although looking back now, Ate Nhila remembered several instances when Gerald looked pale and was more often out of breath than usual.  She disregarded it as fatigue and lack of sleep.  He looked quite normal and happy whenever he was around Kim.  But then again, that was never a question.

“O, pano?  Wag ka na umiyak,”  Ate Portia tried to console Ate Nhila.  “Pare-pareho lang naman tayong walang alam eh.  Naaawa din nga ako sa alaga ko.  I’m sure, di pa rin nya alam.  Knowing Ge, hindi sya papayag na magwo-worry si Kim.”

“Oo naman.  Mahal na mahal ng alaga ko ang alaga mo eh,” replied Ate Nhila in between sobs.  “So, ano’ng gagawin natin?  Sabi nina Ma’am Charo, di dapat mapagod at mapuyat ng sobra si Ge.  Pumayag naman si Direk Ruel na twice a week na lang ang taping ni Ge sa PNK.  Sa KTM kasi, medyo marami pang scenes ang kelangang i-shoot kaya di pwedeng mabawasan ang # of days.  Pero pwede siguro na unahin na lang sya para di na mapuyat, di ba?”

“Pwede siguro, kaya lang, we also have to make sure na kasunod na si Kim.  Dapat di rin abutin ng gabi si Kim, kasi for sure, kahit tapos na si Ge, di pa rin sya aalis at hihintayin pa rin si Kim na matapos.”

“Mabuti pa siguro, i-check muna natin kung gaano pa karami ang scenes na magkasama sila, yung scenes na magkahiwalay sila, para mapag-tugma natin ang schedules nila.  Alam mo, Portia, ngayong nalaman ko na may heart condition si Ge, parang gusto ko nang sabihin kay Kim na aminin na nila sa public kung anuman meron sila.  Just to make the most of their time together.  Di naman kasi natin alam kung anong pwedeng mangyari, lalo pa nga at wala pa rin naman tayong hawak na medical report.  What do you think?”

“I agree with you.  Kaya lang, yung alaga ko, malaki talaga ang takot eh.  Di naman natin pwedeng ipilit kung ayaw nya.  Ano kaya kung sabihin ko na kay Kim yung totoo?”

“Hay naku, yan ang wag na wag mong gagawin.  Di ba yun ang bilin ni Mr. M at ni Ms. Charo?  Wala munang dapat makaalam.  If Ge will tell Kim, ok lang, at least, sa kanya nanggaling, di ba?  Basta, tayong dalawa, we just have to make sure that they spend as much time together as possible.  Siguraduhin mo na ang location shoot nila eh malapit lang sa bawat set if not the same, saka yung mga guestings at shows, kelangan magkasama din.  Mas kikiligin pa nga ang fans kapag magkasama sila kahit solo projects ang ipo-promote,”  Ate Nhila stated with finality.  “We also have to coordinate with the KW execs para walang mag-leak ng info and walang mag-bigay ng unsolicited opinions.  Baka kasi may makapansin ng hitsura ni Ge, magka-idea pa tuloy.”

“Ok, sige, I think yan na lang muna.”

Sir Joey’s, Ate Auie’s and Ate Donna’s Plans

          To say that the KW executives who represented the group in the meeting were devastated about the news of Gerald’s condition was an understatement.  But they know that they cannot leak the information to anybody, especially the press.  They promised Mr. M and Ms. Charo that they would cooperate and help the best way they could.

          “O, Donna, be cognizant, especially sa blogs, sa pex, make sure na walang unnecessary comments.  Kapag may nakita ka, i-pacify mo kagad para hindi na humaba.  Auie, try to organize get-togethers in small groups lang para hindi masyadong mapagod si Ge.  Make sure na magkasama sila ni Kim in all these gatherings para di tayo ma-obvious sa pag-iintindi kay Ge.  At least kung si Kimmy eh kasama, sure tayo na todo-alaga sya kay Ge,”  Sir Joey rattled off his instructions, trying to keep a steady and calm composure in front of yet another trial.  “Ako na ang bahala sa assignments ng members.  I will put up a bantay brigade para in all their tapings and guestings, may small group na kasama.  Magka-emergency man, merong aalalay sa kanila ni Kim.”

          “Ok.  Pwede bang bukas na ulit tayo mag-meeting.  Parang wala na akong lakas eh.  I just need some time to absorb everything.  Di ko pa ma-digest yung nangyari.  Sorry, Sir Joey, Ate Auie,”  Donna was trying to hold back her tears once again.

          “Ako din, Sir Joey.  Tama si Donna.  Bukas na ulit tayo mag-meet.”

          “O, sya, halina kayo, ihahatid ko na kayo at baka kung mapano pa kayo.  Pareho kayong tulala eh.  I wouldn’t want to be responsible kung maaksidente kayo sa lagay nyong yan.”

          The made their way to Sir Joey’s car parked not very far from the entrance.