Chapter 19: As Good As It Gets

I Want to Know What Love Is

 

Kim and Gerald didn’t have the chance to seriously talk to each other after their minor squabble two nights ago.  They have been very busy with the tapings of KTM and last week shooting of their movie, not to mention the mall shows and guestings for the promotions of both.  Their friends and co-stars in both projects seem to be watching them with concerned looks, be they on-cam or off-cam.

          “Kris, nag-away ba si Kim at si Gerald?”  asked Ms. Jaclyn Jose during their taping for KTM the night before.

          “Ewan ko ba sa dalawang ‘yan.  Kanina ko pa napapansin na hindi masyado’ng nagkukulitan ngayon.  I even asked Gerald if he was ok kasi parang ang pale-pale nya.”

          “Oo nga.  Akala ko nung una, effect lang ng lights, hindi pala.  Baka naman over-worked na yang batang yan.  Why don’t you call Kim’s attention and kay Direk na rin para naman maka-pahinga sila?  After nito, they still have to report to their set for PNK tomorrow morning at 8am.  Baka magka-sakit na sila…”

          “Sige, I will.  Teka lang ha?”  And Kris ventured off to Kim’s dressing room where she found her staring in space, as if any given time her tears would fall on cue.

          “Kimmy, anak, what’s wrong?”

          “Mommy?  Ok lang po ako, pagod lang…”  Kim answered and gave Kris a smile that didn’t even reach her eyes.

          “Feeling ko, hindi pagod yan… come on, tell me.”  She coaxed.

          “Si Gerald po kasi…nagtampo saken.”

          “Why?  What did you do?  Oh my God, does this have anything to do with Ruffa’s interview last Sunday?  Yung issue with Sam Pinto?”

          Kim couldn’t say anything as a sob caught in .  She could only nod in meek agreement.

          “Kimmy naman, did the two of you really have to fight about her?  I mean, I could be taklesa, but I’m not blind and I’m sure the rest of your million fans aren’t blind either.  I refuse to believe you are that dense not to feel how much Gerald loves you.  Ako, kitang-kita ko…”

          “Nakakahiya eh, kasi di naman totoong crush nya si Sam.  Ako lang nagsabi nun, nagseselos kasi ako.  Natatakot na rin, kasi baka bigla nya ma-realize na marami palang mas maganda at mas y saken.”

          “Susmaryosep naman anak, nai-insecure ka lang pala eh bakit naman you have to tell the world on national tv na crush nya si Sam?  Pano kung maraming maniwala, eh di sa kanya magagalit ang mga fans nyo?  Kawawa naman sya, anak.  He has every right to make tampo…  Did you say sorry na?”

          “Hindi pa nga po eh.  Pero sinabi naman nya saken bago kami naghiwalay last Sunday night na ok na kami.  Feeling ko lang talaga hindi pa.  Ang tahi-tahimik nya ngayon, pero di naman nya ako nakakalimutan dalahan ng siomai everyday… Di nya ko kinukulit, parati lang sya nakaupo pag hindi sya ang nasa eksena,” Kim’s cheeks got tainted with fresh tears again.

          “Come on, ano ba’ng ginagawa nya pag sya ang may mali?  Does he say sorry?  Does he try to make it up to you?  Just do what you think will make him happy.  Give and take ang isang relasyon, Kimmy.  You can’t just take and take and take without giving.  Sometimes, it’s the making up that makes the misunderstanding worth the pain, you’ll see…”

          “Thanks po…I know he understands, pero kung minsan, wala din kasing preno ang bibig ko eh.  As in, sobra talaga akong na-insecure kasi ang ganda-ganda ni Sam.”

          “Kim, I’m sure Gerald doesn’t share your opinion.  Look at him, for 4 years, he’s been nothing but consistent in declaring his love for you.  Ikaw lang ang nakikita nya, don’t you get it?  He doesn’t have eyes for anybody else.  Kaya, wag ka ma-insecure.  You’re pretty, you’re kind, you’re a good actress, and above all, matagal na kayong magkasama ni Gerald.  No one can top that, ok?”

          “Salamat po ulit ha?  Medyo ok na ‘ko dahil dun sa mga sinabi nyo…”

          “Dapat lang ano?!  Ikaw talaga…akala ko naman kung ano na ang pinag-awayan nyo eh…sige, puntahan mo na sya at mukang di na kumakain kasi ang putla-putla na!  Now na ha?  I’ll go back to the set to see whose turn it is…Go na…”

          Kim gave Kris a big hug and kissed her on the cheeks as the Queen of All Media regally made her way back to the set, satisfied that she was able to do something good for two of her favorite persons in showbiz.

Meanwhile, Gerald sat on his favorite chair, the one that Kim gave him to use during tapings.  He knew he had to take it easy or else he wouldn’t be able to attend the PNK premiere night much less get inside the PBB house again for their double date with Jayson and Melissa.  He reached for his cellphone and sent Joven a message, asking him to bring his medicine so he could take a painkiller before his last scene.  He settled comfortably into the chair and closed his eyes.  That was how Kim found him.

          Kim hesitated when she saw Gerald with his eyes closed.  She thought, “kawawa naman ang baby ko, mukhang pagod na pagod, para na tuloy may sakit…” as she slowly made her way to his side.  She knelt beside him as she continued to lovingly gaze at his face.  Slowly, she lowered her head and gently kissed him on the lips.

          Gerald opened his eyes, startled at first.  He drew a deep sigh as she realized it was Kim who kissed him.

          “Hi, baby, akala ko kung sino na eh… Gulat ko naman sa’yo.  Ok ka lang?”

          Kim continued to smile and stare at Gerald, not saying anything, just thankful to God for giving her someone as understanding as the person in front of her.  She threw her arms around him and embraced him as if she was holding on for dear life.  Tears flowed from her eyes without her noticing it.

          “Babe?  Bakit?”  Gerald pried her arms from his neck and looked at her worriedly as he wiped her tears with his thumb.  “May problema na naman ba tayo?”  He asked her, trying not to sound anxious.                                                                                                                                  

          “Wala, na-miss ko lang ang kakulitan mo…”

          “Aysus, yun lang pala… pagod na pagod kasi ako kaya sabi ko, matutulog muna ako tutal may mga kausap ka naman kanina nung dumating ako.  Did you get your siomai?  I left it with Ate Tata.”

          “Opo, ubos na.  Di na nga ako nag-share eh kasi gutom na gutom ako.”  She smiled impishly.  “Wag ka na magalit ha?”  And she showered little kisses on his neck, sending goosebumps up his nape.

          “Uhm….wag ngayon, baby…don’t get me , you might regret it…”  But Kim did not heed, and continued teasing him.  Gerald groaned and mustering all the self-control he has, he lifted a wriggling Kim on his arms, shrieking as Gerald half-stumbled before finally landing on his back with her on top.  They ended up rolling on the floor, bellowing with laughter.

          A different Kim and Gerald joined the rest of the talents of KTM in the next several hours.  Kris smiled pleasurably as she looked on at the two. 

************************************************



          PNK Press Conference

“Sa totoo lang po, sobrang close ko sa kanila, I’m with them almost everyday, lalo na when we were doing Tayong Dalawa. Hindi ako isang taong puwedeng lokohin o isang taong kailangang magpanggap pa sila sa akin. Wala nang puwedeng itago sa akin kasi hindi lang kami magkakatrabaho, magkakaibigan kami, at close kami.
           Honestly, napaka-useless na i-label pa sila. I understand that you want to know more but the truth is, there’s so much love between them, there’s so much support. Gaya ng sinasabi nila, mga bata pa sila, pero laging puyat sila. ’Yun lang may tao sa tabi mo o lagi kang patatawanin o kukulitin ka o dadalhan ka ng pagkain.
           Kung hindi man sila lovers, eh, ano naman ba? Hindi ba mas importante ’yung relationship at kung anong love ang nakukuha nila sa isa’t isa.
            Everyone around them, gustung-gusto ng pamilya ni Gerald si Kim, gusto ng pamilya ni Kim si Gerald, pati drivers nila, mga yaya nila... ay, Diyos ko po, kasal na lang ang kulang,” pag-assess ni Direk sa relasyon nina Kim at Gerald.
           Sa akin, ha, sa point of view ko, hindi na kailangan ng confirmation, hindi ko kailangan ng labeling. Ang importante sa akin kasi, sa murang edad nila, they get to enjoy their work and they get to enjoy each other.

They enjoy love, friendship, comforting each other, kumpleto sila roon, may someone na magreregalo sa ’yo ng special, ’yun na rin ’yon para sa akin”


                                                                            -Direk Ruel Bayani

         

          Gerald led Kim towards the exit of the Dolphy Theater, smiling their apologies for leaving sooner because they still have a mall show to go to.  He held on to her hand, afraid he might lose her in the crowd of reporters, cameramen and abs-cbn employees who watched the conference.  He ignored the queasiness he felt in his stomach and continued to march down the hallway to the parking lot.  Once they were inside his Ford Expedition with Joven at the wheel, he reclined his seat and laid back with his eyes closed.  Kim looked at him with concern.

          “Baby, ok ka lang?  Ang putla mo ah…masama ba ang pakiramdam mo?”

          “Ok lang ako, baby, don’t worry.  Medyo na-suffocate lang ako sa sobrang dami ng tao.  Ok lang ba matulog muna ako sandali?  Medyo malayo pa naman ang byahe natin eh.  Ikaw din, mag-rest ka muna…”

          Kim touched Gerald’s forehead, realizing he was sweating profusely.  She checked his back and found the same, his undershirt almost soaked.

          “Joven, asan ang bag ni Ge?  Basang-basa kasi sya ng pawis, bibihisan ko lang…”

          “Nasa likod, Kim, pakikuha na lang.  Kaya mo bang abutin?”  Joven sounded really worried.  He wanted to call Gerald’s mom, but was worried that Kim might learn of Gerald’s illness.

          “Oo naman… sige, alis na tayo.”  She reached for Gerald’s overnight bag and searched for a clean shirt.  She found a white Bench v-necked tee with the number 3 patched on the front upper left corner.  She pulled it from the bag so she could change his shirt when something fell from the pile of clothes.  Kim picked it up only to stare at her own image.  It was a close-up picture of her taken for the promo of their movie, PNK.  From the crumpled state of the picture, she could only guess that it has been transferred from one location to several.  Her heart contracted with so much love for the man beside her as she finally admitted to herself that her fears and insecurities have been baseless and unfounded.  Gerald really loves her.  She returned the picture to where it was, took a towel from Ge’s toiletry bag and slowly took off Gerald’s purple coat.  She reached behind him to wipe the sweat off his back.  Gerald moaned but did not open his eyes.  He was warm to her touch.  Much as she didn’t want to wake him, she had no choice because she couldn’t move him to take off his pink undershirt.

          “Baby, palit ka muna ng shirt.  Basa ka ng pawis eh…”

          “Uhmmm….later na, can’t move…”

          “Hindi pwede, matutuyuan ka ng pawis nyan…sige na please.”

          Gerald forced himself up to remove his sweat-soaked shirt as Kim helped him change.  He settled back into his seat taking Kim with him in a comfortable embrace.  They stayed that way until they reached their destination.

          “Guys, dito na tayo…”  Joven called from the front.  Hearing no answer, he pulled to a stop and looked at the two, peacefully sleeping in each others’ arms.  His heart broke to see them so tired that he hesitated whether to wake them up or just drive into a parking slot to give the couple a few more minutes of much-needed rest.  In the end, he thought it wouldn’t hurt if they would be a little late.  They could always give an excuse anyway.  He called up Tata who rode with Fredo in Kim’s van.  “Ta, dito pa kami sa parking ha?  Tulog pa kasi yung dalawa.  Naawa naman akong gisingin kagad sila kasi mukang pagod na pagod na talaga.  Ok lang ba?”

          “Sige, pero 10 minutes lang, gisingin mo na ha?”

          “Sure…”