Day 9 - December 9th

31 Days Of December

Kyuhyun opened his eyes and saw that he was in a mysterious place. It wasn’t too mysterious. It was merely only Sungmin’s house. They were both on the couch, Kyuhyun’s arms wrapped around Sungmin’s waist and Sungmin’s arms wrapped around Kyuhyun’s neck with the blanket still wrapped around them.

Kyuhyun remembered, Sungmin had fallen asleep on his shoulder, so Kyuhyun brought them to the couch and they passed out together. He looked at the clock and saw that it was only six o’clock in the morning. He carefully removed Sungmin’s arms from around him and got off the couch. Kyuhyun grabbed his coat and walked outside. He looked up at the dark sky.

“Umma, halmeoni, bogoshipo...” Kyuhyun whispered to the sky, “Aish, I don’t know what to do anymore...”

Sungmin slowly opened his eyes and looked around. ‘Wasn’t Kyuhyun here?’ He thought. He sat up and looked around some more, but didn’t see the taller boy. Sungmin stood up and grabbed his coat, putting it on. He thought that Kyuhyun had gone back home, but why would he do that after Kyuhyun told Sungmin to stay by his side and never leave him? Sungmin walked toward the front door and grabbed the door knob. He was about ready to turn it until he heard a voice coming from outside his door.

“I feel something deep in my chest whenever I’m with him. He’s just got this beautiful, warm, presence that makes me happy and, I haven’t been this happy in years.”

Sungmin noticed that the voice was Kyuhyun’s.

“And last night he told me that he was falling for me. Can you believe that? How can he be falling for me when we’ve only known each other for maybe a week?”

Sungmin slowly withdrew his hand from the doorknob.

“But, what if I feel like I’m falling for him too?” Kyuhyun asked the sky, “Umma, you used to always give me the answer to these kinds of things. Why did you have to leave? Why was that idiot stupid and didn’t listen to the no drinking and driving rules? Why is this the fate I have to live with? I swear, if I lose Sungmin I’ll-”

“Kyuhyun?” Sungmin finally opened the door.

Kyuhyun turned around shocked, “S-Sungmin! H-Hi… How long were you s-standing there and h-how much of that did you h-hear?”

“Only a f-few seconds…” Sungmin lied. Changing the subject he asked, “What are you doing out here so early in the morning?”

“I… I needed to think…” Kyuhyun replied calmly.

“About what?” Sungmin asked.

“I… Well,” Kyuhyun moved the snow and sat down on the bench on Sungmin’s porch, “My Umma and Halmeoni…”

Sungmin walked toward the bench, moved the snow and sat next to Kyuhyun, “When you lose someone, someone you love, when they break your heart or leave, it’s the hardest thing you could ever go through. No matter how much time has passed, it never really goes away. You may think you’re getting better, but then you get a flashback, or hear a song that reminds you of a memory, and it hits you all over again, all at once, like a stab in your chest. You fall apart for the hundredth time and you feel like you just want to crawl under a rock and never come out. You love the person with all of your heart, but they hurt you worse than you’ve ever been hurt. They stole your happiness and yet you still miss them. Even if they broke all their promises, you want to keep yours, and on top of that, you’re terrified. Terrified of getting hurt again, but it’s not like it matters anyway, at the end of the day you’re still thinking about the person who left you completely broken. You want to cry because you miss them and you love them so much, but you can’t because you’ve already poured out all your tears, so instead you tell yourself you hate them and you don’t miss them when really, you know you always will.”

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin who was staring up at the dark sky with tears slowly streaming down his face. Kyuhyun had only seen Sungmin cry when his grandmother died. Other than that, he only saw a smile. Kyuhyun never knew anything about Sungmin. His story. His pain. His life.

“Did.. Something happen to you?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin wiped his tears that he didn’t even know he had let fall, “Huh? Oh, n-no, it’s n-nothing.”

Kyuhyun thought for a moment before replying, “I think you’re lying…”

Sungmin looked up at him. That was the exact same thing he had said to Kyuhyun on the second day they met.

“My p-parents,” Sungmin started, “My mother died after I was born and my father, well he kicked me out when I was ten. Told me he didn’t want me, that he never wanted to see me again. I’ve been on my own ever since…”

Kyuhyun saw that Sungmin was smiling a bit as he told him that.

“How are you smiling?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin looked at him confused, “W-What?”

“What you just told me, how are you smiling after telling me that?”

“I… I-I can’t help it, I’m just usually a happy person..”

“You don’t need to hide your tears.” Kyuhyun replied, “Just like you’re here for me, I’m here for you too.”

Those words were just what Sungmin needed to break him. Sungmin buried his face in his hands, trying to hide the tears that were now falling from Kyuhyun. Though Kyuhyun only pulled his hands away from his face and hugged the boy tightly. Sungmin cried on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

“I m… M-Miss t-them.” Sungmin said between his sobs.

Kyuhyun rubbed his back slowly, “Shhh, I know the feeling.”

Sungmin tried his hardest to stop his tears and eventually with the help of Kyuhyun they did stop.

Sungmin pulled away, “I-I’m s-sorry for c-crying…”

“Don't.” Kyuhyun said.

“W-Wha-”

“Don’t tell me you’re sorry for crying. If you ever need to let out your tears, I won’t judge you or anything, so don’t apologise. I understand your pain.” Kyuhyun said, “I’ll be here for you.”

“Y-You will…?” Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun nodded, “Always.”

Sungmin smiled and hugged him again, “Thank you.”

Kyuhyun replied by hugging him back. They stayed there for a few minutes until Sungmin spoke.

“You know, I thought you hated me…”

Kyuhyun pulled him away a bit, “I thought you hated me.”

Sungmin giggled a bit, “I gave away my first kiss to you. I could never hate you.”

Kyuhyun stared at Sungmin for a moment before saying, “How about your s-second kiss…?”

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun confused.

“You… Would you mind if I s-stole that one too…?”

Kyuhyun’s words threw Sungmin off. Was he asking to kiss him again? Sungmin’s body responded on it’s own and he nodded.

“Y-Yes… I-I mean no… I mean-”

Kyuhyun chuckled a bit, “I think I know what you mean..”

Kyuhyun leaned toward Sungmin, closing his eyes, his face so close to the other’s that he could feel his breath, until-

“Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun and Sungmin both turned their now flushed faces toward the voice that came from the right. ‘No way...’ Thought Kyuhyun.


 

“Yesung!?”