Day 10 - December 10th

31 Days Of December

Best Friend: Someone you can trust with your life who has seen the best and worst of you and will be there whenever you need someone to talk to. There is a balance in the relationship between give and take. You feel so in sync with them that you can comfortably share your innermost feelings and thoughts.


 

And that’s what Yesung was to Kyuhyun. A best friend, Kyuhyun’s first friend. When he showed up the day before, Kyuhyun was so surprised.


 

“Yesung!?” Kyuhyun ran toward the shorter, but older male, “What are you doing here!?”

Sungmin sat on the bench confused and upset. Kyuhyun was about to kiss him for the second time in his life and this new boy ruined that chance

“I heard you were back in town!” Yesung said with a smile on his face.

“From who?” Kyuhyun questioned.

“The paper. I heard that your grandmother had died. I’m so sorry about that. Are you alright?”

Kyuhyun looked toward the ground, “It’s been really tough lately. But you’re here now, so that cheers me up a bit!”

Yesung smiled at the taller boy.

Kyuhyun hugged the other, “I missed you!”

Sungmin stared at the two. Sungmin took a guess and thought that they were long ago lovers of some sort. ‘Did they date before? Why is Kyuhyun so happy to see him? If they dated, does Kyuhyun still like him?’ Sungmin questioned in his mind.

“I missed you too!” Yesung hugged him back, “We have so much to talk about!”

“Yeah we do! But..” Kyuhyun looked back at the bench and at Sungmin, then back toward Yesung, “I’m kind of busy right now, and it’s getting kind of late. How about you stop by tomorrow at noon and we can talk?”

“Sure!” Yesung agreed, “But aren’t you going to introduce me to your friend?”

Kyuhyun looked back again and motioned for Sungmin to come toward them.

“Sungmin, this is Yesung. Yesung, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun introduced them.

Sungmin and Yesung shook hands.

“Nice to meet you.” Yesung said.

Sungmin said nothing, he only nodded. At that gesture, Yesung awkwardly pulled his hand back and coughed to clear some of the awkwardness.

“Alright, well I’ll let you get back to what you’re doing and I’ll stop by again tomorrow.” Yesung said as he gave Kyuhyun another hug, “See ya!”


 

Now that it was the next day, Kyuhyun couldn’t wait to see Yesung again. The two hadn’t seen each other in a whole three years! They really missed each other. Being away from your best friend even for a day is hard, especially when you’ve only had one best friend your entire life.

Kyuhyun woke up early just so he could clean up a bit, even though his house wasn’t that messy. After about an hour or so of waiting, there was finally a knock at the door.

“Yesun- Oh… Sungmin, h-hey.” Kyuhyun said.

“H-Hi. You’re not happy to see me?”

“Huh? Oh, n-no it’s not that, I’m just waiting for someone and I thought you were him…” Kyuhyun replied.

“Oh, I-I’m sorry..” Sungmin replied a bit sad.

“It’s fine. Did you need something?” Kyuhyun asked.

“N-No, I just thought I would-”

“Oh? Yesung! There you are!” Kyuhyun looked behind Sungmin and smiled.

Sungmin turned around and looked at the person who had just arrived behind him.

“Hey, sorry I’m late, the roads are slippery from all that ice…” Yesung replied.

“It’s cool! Come on in!” Kyuhyun said happily.

Sungmin moved to the side and Yesung walked in. Sungmin opened his mouth as to say something, but was cut off when he was met with a door in his face. Kyuhyun had shut the door on Sungmin, practically forgetting that he was there. Sungmin stared at the door with a blank look. Did Kyuhyun not care about him anymore? Now that he has Yesung, does Kyuhyun not want him around anymore? Sungmin sighed and took that as his conclusion. Now that Kyuhyun had Yesung around, Sungmin should leave him alone, and that’s just what he did when he headed back to his house.

Kyuhyun walked into the kitchen and made coffee for the both of them. Yesung liked his coffee the same way that Kyuhyun did. After all, Yesung was the one that made him like coffee in the first place. Kyuhyun brought out two cups and then sat down on the couch across from the other.

“Ah, so it’s been three years! Why don’t you start?” Kyuhyun said, “How’ve you been?”

“Really good! I finally have all my money for college! I actually start my freshman year next week!” Yesung said.

“That’s awesome!!” Kyuhyun replied, “Wait… What profession are you going into?”

“Music.” Replied Yesung.

“Ha! I knew it!! I told you that you’d eventually figure out how great of a singer you are!”

Yesung laughed, “Yeah, I guess you were finally right, even after all these years. Thank you.”

“Pshh, don’t get soft on me!” Kyuhyun laughed.

“Me? Never!!” Yesung replied.

The two laughed and enjoyed their coffee and company together.

“So, how’s Ryeowook?” Kyuhyun questioned.

“Still amazing as ever.” Yesung replied, “November eleventh was our eight year anniversary.”

“Awh, I wish one day I could have a relationship like your guys’.” Kyuhyun smiled.

“Oh? I thought you and that one boy were dating.”

“Sungmin? O-Oh, no… W-We’re not…” Kyuhyun replied.

“Then what did I see yesterday? Because it looked to me as if you two were about to kiss.”

Kyuhyun choked on his coffee, “W-What!? N-No… T-That’s not what you s-saw at all!!”

“Oh really?” Yesung asked sarcastically, “I think you’re in love but don’t want to admit it.”

Kyuhyun thought for a moment. What Yesung had just said reminded him of when Sungmin and him were cutting down his Christmas Tree…


 

“Okay, now watch out, I don’t want to hit you with this.” Kyuhyun said showing Sungmin the axe.

Sungmin nodded again and found a tree stump to sit down on.

Kyuhyun held up the axe and was about ready to swing it forward and hit the tree when Sungmin’s words stopped him, “You like me, that’s why you don’t want to hit me with it.”

Kyuhyun loosened his grip on the axe a bit and looked at Sungmin who just smiled.

“You don’t want to admit it though, huh?”


 

When Kyuhyun looked back at Sungmin, that day, Sungmin felt as if there was a bit of a change in him. Kyuhyun certianly has changed around Sungmin lately, but now that Yesung was back, Sungmin felt as if Kyuhyun was treating him coldly again.

“Kyuhyun?”

Kyuhyun snapped out of his thought’s and looked at his best friend that was sitting across from him, “H-Huh?”

“You were thinking about him just now, weren’t you?” Yesung asked as if he could read Kyuhyun’s mind.

“N-No…”

Yesung gave him a look.

“Maybe…”

Yesung’s look intensified.

“Alright! Yes!” Kyuhyun gave in, “I don’t know what to do though! I mean he’s a boy and so am I! No offense to you an Ryeowook, but I’ve been straight my whole life!”

“Kyuhyun, have you ever actually dated a girl, or had a crush on one?” Yesung questioned, “Because the last person you ever liked was… Oh let’s see here, no one!”

Kyuhyun sighed, “I know. But I promised that I would never give my heart away, remember? All my loved ones leave me, I mean, look at my umma…”

“Kyuhyun, I know you miss her, but that’s in the past. This is the now and from what I saw yesterday, it looked like you were actually opening up to him. I think you need him Kyuhyun. I think he’s your soulmate.”

“My… Soulmate?” Kyuhyun questioned.

Yesung nodded, “Soulmate. It’s like a best friend, but more. It’s the one person who knows you better than anyone else. That someone who makes you a better person.”

Kyuhyun blinked a few times.

“No, actually they don’t make you a better person. You do that by yourself because they inspire you. A soulmate is someone you carry with you forever. It’s one person who accepted you and believed in you before anyone else did or when no one else would. And I know I’ve been here for you you’re whole life, but I’m not talking about me. I’m talking about Sungmin-ssi. He seems to really like you and maybe if you would just open up to him a little more, I think you’ll finally realize that you like him too.” Yesung finished.

Kyuhyun said nothing. He just stayed quiet. Maybe Yesung was a little right, but was Kyuhyun really ready to let someone else in his life? He wasn’t ready to lose anyone else important in his life.

“Just give it some thought, okay? For me?” Yesung asked.

Kyuhyun slowly nodded making Yesung smile.

Yesung looked at the clock on the wall, “Oh shoot, it’s already two o’clock! I told Wookie I’d be home by one forty five!”

Kyuhyun chuckled a bit, “Yeah and if I know how Ryeowook is, he won’t be very happy.”

“You’ve got that right…” Yesung said as he stood up and headed to the door.

Kyuhyun followed him. Yesung opened the door and turned around to looked at Kyuhyun.

“I hope you do what you feel in your heart is right.” Yesung said.

Kyuhyun nodded. The two hugged before Yesung departed, back to his own home. Kyuhyun waved to the boy as he drove away and he was just about to close the door until he remembered, Sungmin. He looked at the house next to his. He should go talk to him.

Kyuhyun grabbed his coat, then walked next door to Sungmin’s house. He saw something taped to the door. It was a note that read,


 

Dear Kyuhyun,

Now that you have Yesung-ssi, I see that you don’t really need me anymore. I hope as your ex, that he takes good care of you. Sorry I couldn’t keep my promise and your grandmothers promise of never leaving you.

 

With apologies,

Lee Sungmin


 

Kyuhyun reread the note several times. Was Sungmin crazy!? He thought they dated before? Shouldn’t he have asked Kyuhyun about that before he made his own assumptions? ‘Maybe he did try to ask me, when he came over earlier…’ Kyuhyun thought, ‘This is my fault… I need to find him.’

Kyuhyun ran down the sidewalk and into the town. Since he had only moved here about a week ago, he didn’t know the town very well, or Sungmin for that matter. Kyuhyun had never bothered to ask Sungmin what his favorite color, food, song, or anything else is! He made a mental note to ask him later. If he ever finds Sungmin!

Though Sungmin wasn’t very far from his house, maybe only about a block away. He was at the park. In the summer, he would always come here to get things off his mind, preferably his parents. He stayed at the park until it got dark, then he decided to head home.

He headed up his porch steps and saw that the note was gone. Kyuhyun must’ve seen it and took it. He looked over at Kyuhyun’s house and saw that all the lights were off. ‘He’s probably asleep.’ Sungmin thought. But Sungmin’s thought’s were completely wrong. Kyuhyun had been out in the town looking for Sungmin the whole time. It wasn’t until midnight that he began to give up and hoped that Sungmin had gone home. Kyuhyun’s hands were freezing and his face was bright red from being outside in the cold for almost ten hours, searching.

When he finally got back on his street, he decided to pass his house and head straight for Sungmin’s. ‘I’m going to wait here until he comes home, no matter how long that takes. Even if I die out here, I’m not leaving until Sungmin comes home.’ Kyuhyun thought to himself. He had thought that the boy was still out, hopefully not freezing like he was. Kyuhyun always hated the cold, but he needed to do what Yesung told him to do and open up to Sungmin more. It just couldn’t wait, because what if Sungmin would’ve left in the morning before Kyuhyun woke up? Kyuhyun would never get a chance to let the smaller boy in. He had to see him immediately. So even if it took Sungmin a year to come back, Kyuhyun would wait.

He sat down on Sungmin’s porch and looked around the street, the only light outside coming from the dim street lights. He didn’t care if he got sick, or if he died, the only thing running through his mind at the moment was Sungmin. Kyuhyun worried about him being out in the cold that he didn’t care about himself anymore. It was all about Sungmin, Sungmin, Sungmin.



 

And he couldn’t get him out of his mind.