Day 1 - December 1st

31 Days Of December

“Kyuhyun honey, can you come help halmeoni carry this box?”

Kyuhyun raced downstairs to where his grandmother was calling him from. He quickly took the box from his grandmothers hands and set it down somewhere on the ground.

“Halmeoni,” Kyuhyun started, “You know you shouldn’t be carrying boxes!”

“I know Kyu baby, but I wanted to try…” Kyuhyun’s grandmother said.

Kyuhyun grabbed the old woman’s arm and sat her down on a chair, “I think you should rest. I’ll bring in the rest of the boxes.”

“Thank you Kyu baby.” His grandmother replied, ruffling his hair.

Kyuhyun smiled, grabbed his coat, and headed outside to unpack the rest of the car. Kyuhyun and his grandmother were moving into a new house. It was December first and they were moving. Why? Because, this was the town where Kyuhyun’s mother had died.

It was only a year ago. Even to this day, it’s still a shock to Kyuhyun. Sitting all alone in his home, receiving that one phone call from the police telling him that she had died, that was the worst thing that had ever happened to him. The shock was so bad for Kyuhyun that he decided to move in with his grandmother.

He had no one else to stay with anyways. His father had left when he was young and they never had any contact, so Kyuhyun and his mother stayed in this town. Ever since the accident, he’s been with his grandmother and no matter how much Kyuhyun doesn’t want to admit it, it seems his grandmother won’t be around much longer either.

Kyuhyun brought box after box inside the house until they were all out of the back of the truck. Kyuhyun closed the door with his foot, then headed toward the kitchen where his grandmother was sitting in a chair. He set the box down on the kitchen counter, then looked at his grandmother.

“Should I make you some hot chocolate?” Kyuhyun asked.

“That would be nice.” She replied.

Kyuhyun smiled at her, then went to grab a cup.


 

*Knock, knock, knock*


 

Kyuhyun looked at the front door, then looked at his grandmother. His grandmother weakly stood, but Kyuhyun made her sit back down.

“I’ll get it.” He said, making his grandmother smile.

Kyuhyun walked toward the front door and opened it just a crack. He looked through the crack and saw a short boy with black hair. He opened the door even more.

“Hello,” Said the boy at the door, “I see you’ve just moved in.”

Kyuhyun looked at the boy confused.

“I’m your neighbor, Lee Sungmin.” He held out his hand.

Kyuhyun shook the other’s hand, “Cho Kyuhyun.”

“Nice to meet you!” Sungmin said, “So, you have a lot of boxes. Do you need any help unpacking?”

Kyuhyun didn’t want to let some stranger into his new house. For all he knew, this man could be a thief, or a e, or a-

“Kyu baby, who’s this?”

Kyuhyun turned around and saw his grandmother standing behind him.

“Hello ma’am, my name is Lee Sungmin. Do you need any help unpacking?” The boy asked.

“Such a gentleman!” Kyuhyun’s grandmother said, “Help is always appreciated. Come on inside, it must be freezing out there!”

“But halmeoni..” Kyuhyun whined.

“Oh hush you! Go make us that hot chocolate you were talking about.” She turned to Sungmin, “Would you like some, dear?”

“If it’s not too much trouble-”

“Oh not at all!” Kyuhyun’s grandmother turned toward him, “Go Kyu baby.”

“Neh halmeoni…” Kyuhyun gave in.

He walked into the kitchen and began making the hot chocolate while Kyuhyun’s grandmother and Sungmin were looking for a box to unpack. Sungmin pulled out the items and placed them wherever Kyuhyun’s grandmother told him to put them. Sungmin saw something shiny in one of the boxes and reached for it, pulling it out.

“Woah…” He exclaimed as he held the object up to eye level, “What’s this?”

It was a glass snowflake.

“That was given to me from my mother, then given to Kyuhyun’s mother. We’ve tried to give it to Kyuhyun, but he refused to take it. He said it was 'useless' and 'had no meaning to him'.” Kyuhyun’s grandmother explained, “If you hold it up to a light, you can see an engraving.”

Sungmin looked from Kyuhyun’s grandmother, back to the snowflake. He held it up to the light from the window. In a gold color, Sungmin read from the snowflake, “Just like your heart, no snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.”

“You can keep it.”

Sungmin looked up at the old woman, “M-Me!? Oh I couldn’t, something this special should-”

“Really, I insist.” She said.

Sungmin stared at the lady and she smiled at him.

“T-Thank you.” Sungmin returned the smile.

He placed the snowflake carefully in his coat pocket. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun was finishing pouring the hot chocolate into two cups colored a light blue. He placed three marshmallows in both cups, then brought them out to his new neighbor and grandmother.

“Oh, thank you Kyuhyunnie.” His grandmother said.

Kyuhyun nodded, then handed Sungmin his cup.

“Ah, Kyuhyunnie, I forgot to get my medication this morning. Do you think you could run out and get it for me?” Kyuhyun’s grandmother asked.

Kyuhyun nodded, “Neh halmeoni.”

“Thank you dear.”

“Can I help?” Sungmin asked suddenly.

“No you canno-”

“Of course.” Kyuhyun’s grandmother interrupted, “I don’t want Kyuhyunnie being alone out in the cold. Why don’t you go with him?”

Sungmin nodded, “Neh.”

Kyuhyun tried to protest, “Halmeoni, I’ll be fine by myself-”

“No, no, no. I don’t believe you. Sungminnie dear, keep him safe. He’s very troublesome.”

Sungmin giggled, “Neh.”

Kyuhyun sighed as he put on his coat and grabbed his keys. Sungmin followed behind him and when they reached Kyuhyun’s car in the garage, Kyuhyun pinned Sungmin against it.

“Alright, ‘Sungmin’, what is it you want?” Kyuhyun asked with a slight growl.

Sungmin was calm, “I don’t want anything. I’m just being nice, that’s all.”

“Come on, neighbors are never this nice. There has to be something you want!” Kyuhyun thought for a moment before releasing Sungmin’s arms and pulling out his wallet. He handed Sungmin twenty dollars, “Here, if you’re after money, take it and go.”

Sungmin giggled, “I’m not after money. I told you, I’m just being friendly.”

Kyuhyun looked the boy up and down. Friendly? He’d never had many friends before. Only one friend, his best friend, Kim Jung Woon, Yesung.

"You believe me, don't you?" Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun was unsure, but decided to give the boy a chance, "For now, but don't try anything funny..."

Sungmin merely smiled making Kyuhyun cringe before getting into the car. The two headed for the pharmacy and picked up the medicine before heading back to Kyuhyun's and his grandmother's house.

"We're back." Sungmin said, receiving a smack on the back of the head from Kyuhyun.

"Shh, what if she's sle-"

"Upstairs, Kyu baby!" Kyuhyun's grandmother called.

Kyuhyun walked upstairs with Sungmin following closely behind. They stepped into her room and saw that she was already laying in her bed. Kyuhyun softly smiled and walked toward the side of the bed.

"I'm sorry, but I'm very tired." She said.

"That's alright." Kyuhyun set down the medicine on her nightstand, "You get plenty of rest, okay?"

Kyuhyun kissed the old woman's forehead and bid her a goodnight. Sungmin followed him back downstairs.

"Your grandmother is very lovely." Sungmin smiled.

"Don't you have a grandmother?"

Sungmin's soft smile never faded as he thought about his grandmother, "I did."

Kyuhyun knew what he meant, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Sungmin shrugged, "It happens... Well its getting late, so do you mind if I come over tomorrow and help you finish unpacking?"

"Well actually I-"

"Great!" Sungmin got on his tip toes and kissed the taller boy on the cheek, "See you then!"

Before Kyuhyun could say anything the boy rushed out the door. Kyuhyun felt his cheek, still warm from the others actions.

'What the...' Kyuhyun's thoughts trailed off as he headed upstairs to unpack some more. But Kyuhyun kept thinking about the shorter male he met today and that kiss on his cheek.

"Aish, I can't get anything done at this rate." Kyuhyun said to himself.

He had decided to take a shower to clear his thoughts. It helped him a little. He sighed as he stepped foot out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his lower half. Kyuhyun walked into his new bedroom and searched for a shirt. He was about to put on a fresh shirt when he noticed someone staring at him through his window.

"Do you always walk around your house half ?"

Just when Kyuhyun thought the smaller boy was out of his mind, he shows up again. Kyuhyun stared at the boy shocked. He ran toward his window and closed it.

Kyuhyun saw Sungmin mouth the words, "Wait! I'm sorry! Don't!" Before closing the curtains. Kyuhyun ruffled his wet hair, angrily. What has he got himself into?