Day 4 - December 4th

31 Days Of December

    Kyuhyun had woken up to a bright light from his window, as did Sungmin, but it wasn’t from the sun… Kyuhyun stood up and opened his curtains, looking out them. Snow. The white glowing snow was enough to send chills down Kyuhyun’s spine. He looked around at the outside. Across the street, kids were having a snowball fight, while at another house, children were building snowmen, then there was the house across from his.


Sungmin’s house.


He looked down at Sungmin’s front yard and saw the smaller boy standing outside, looking up at the sky. Kyuhyun wondered what the other was doing and if he should go find out or not. Kyuhyun shook the thought out of his head and put on his slippers before walking out of his bedroom. He opened his grandmothers door and peaked inside. The woman was still sleeping and Kyuhyun decided not to wake her. Kyuhyun quietly closed the door and headed downstairs and into the kitchen. He grabbed himself a bowl and a box of cornflakes and was just about to pour them into the bowl until he looked out the window.

Sungmin was still standing out in the cold, just staring at the sky. Kyuhyun wondered if Sungmin had gone crazy. He sighed and set down the box of cereal. He knew he wouldn’t be able to eat with all his wondering, so he decided to finally go see what was happening.

Kyuhyun walked outside and stood on his porch, hugging his arms close to him to keep him warm. He looked at Sungmin who was still staring at the grey sky.

“Yah!” Kyuhyun spoke, Sungmin continued to stare at the sky.

Kyuhyun sighed and walked toward the other, still in his slippers and pajamas.

“Yah, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun said as he stood next to him and looked up, “What are you looking at?”

“Wait for it…” Sungmin said.

Kyuhyun looked at the boy confused, “Wait for wha-”

“There! I knew it!!” Sungmin suddenly said.

“Knew it? Knew what-” Kyuhyun looked up again, only to have a snowflake fall on his nose.

    He stared at his nose crosseyed and Sungmin giggled, “It’s snowing again.”

    “Yeah..” Kyuhyun looked at him, “So?”

    “So… I’ve been standing here for twenty minutes and it hasn’t been snowing, then you finally come outside and it does snow!” Sungmin exclaimed happily.

    “So what? Am I god now?” Kyuhyun asked sarcastically.

    Sungmin punched his arm playfully, “No silly! It’s like what I told you, about the snowfall.”

    Kyuhyun looked from the sky back to Sungmin who was smiling happily at the falling snowflakes. Kyuhyun thought about how Sungmin had said that, the exact same thing his mother had told him when he was little. He looked toward the ground, but was suddenly met with a big pile of snow falling over him. Sungmin had gathered a handful of snow and thrown it up like it was confetti over him and Kyuhyun.

    “Y-Yah!!” Kyuhyun shouted.

Sungmin giggled, then hugged Kyuhyun tightly. Kyuhyun quickly pushed him away, making Sungmin pout.

“Kyuhyun, why don’t you let me hug you?” He asked.

“Because, I’m a person who likes my personal space.” Kyuhyun replied.

“But, what about two days ago when you hugged me in the car?” Sungmin questioned.

“I… I-I…” Kyuhyun didn’t want to tell Sungmin the real reason, about his mother, “I-It was only to shut you up.”

Sungmin giggled, “I think you secretly like me.”

“What!?” Kyuhyun turned his head to look at the smaller boy, but saw that he was no longer there.

He looked up, only to be met with a cold snowball hitting his t-shirt.

YAH!” Kyuhyun shouted.

Sungmin only replied by sticking out his tongue. Kyuhyun picked up a ball of snow and was about to throw it at Sungmin when he was suddenly hit with another impacting snowball, this one knocking him off his feet and making him fall on his in the snow. Sungmin laughed at the taller man as he huffed in annoyance. Sungmin closed his eyes and continued laughing until he opened his eyes and saw that Kyuhyun was running toward him.

Kyuhyun had chased Sungmin all around their front yards. When Sungmin looked back at Kyuhyun, he saw that Kyuhyun was smiling and laughing, something he’d never seen before. Sungmin continued running until Kyuhyun had finally caught him, but they both slipped on ice and went tumbling to the ground.

Sungmin landed on top of Kyuhyun and they stared at each other, blinking a few times. Kyuhyun hadn’t noticed it, but he had his arms around Sungmin, only pulling the short, black haired male closer. Sungmin stared at the taller boy surprised. The two stayed like that for god know’s how long, just staring.

“K-Kyuhyun…” Sungmin stuttered, “Y-You’re gonna get your c-clothes w-wet…”

Kyuhyun blinked a few times before realizing that the two were still on the ground. He pushed Sungmin off of him and sat up.

“M-Mianhae…” Kyuhyun stood up, “Everything that just happened… Forget it.”

Kyuhyun headed toward his house and Sungmin stood up.

“K-Kyuhyun! W-Wait!” Sungmin said.

But before Sungmin could even follow the taller male, Kyuhyun had closed the door, leaving Sungmin alone outside in the cold. Sungmin sighed before heading back to his house, taking one last glance at Kyuhyun’s front door before walking inside his own home.

Kyuhyun leaned against his front door and slid down it, hugging his knees into his chest. Why could he not look away from Sungmin? And why wouldn’t he just leave Kyuhyun alone?

Sungmin had the exact same questions. It was like something was drawing him toward Kyuhyun and he didn’t know what it was. He couldn’t leave the other alone now. He’s promised Kyuhyun’s grandmother that he would be there for Kyuhyun when she’s gone. And besides, even if he wanted to, he could never leave Kyuhyun alone. But he wasn’t sure why.

Kyuhyun sat against the door until he heard his grandmother from upstairs. She had that terrible cough again. The horrible cough that worried Kyuhyun. He immediately stood up and headed upstairs to her bedroom and walked inside. He saw the poor, old, sick woman lying in her bed and he sat next to her on the chair.

“Good morning halmeoni.” Kyuhyun said.

“G-Good morning my K-Kyu baby…” She said weakly.

Kyuhyun gave her a soft smile and she slowly gave one back.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

“G-Good.” She lied, “Where… W-Where’s Sungminnie dear?”

“He uh… He’s at his house…” Kyuhyun said.

“O-Oh… Well, when he c-comes over later, c-can you send him upstairs? I need to t-talk to h-him.” Kyuhyun’s grandmother replied.

Kyuhyun nodded, then told his grandmother to get some rest before leaving the room. Kyuhyun sighed and headed to his bedroom. He grabbed a notebook and a pencil, then sat down on his bed. He began to sketch whatever came to his mind. And the first thing that came to his mind was not a ‘thing’ at all. It was a person. The very same person that was looking at him through the closed window.

Sungmin and Kyuhyun’s houses weren’t too close to each other, but their bedroom  windows were facing each other, so Sungmin could see what Kyuhyun was doing and Kyuhyun could see what Sungmin was doing at any time. Though Kyuhyun had no idea he was being watched by the shorter male. Sungmin stared at Kyuhyun as he drew his picture of the other boy.  

Kyuhyun didn’t know why he was drawing a picture of him, but he couldn’t stop. It was like his hand was moving on it’s own with the pencil. When Kyuhyun was finished, he gave the picture a soft smile. It looked just like Sungmin. He sighed and set it down on his bed, then looked out his window at Sungmin’s house. He was shocked when he saw Sungmin staring at him.

Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun looking at him and waved. Kyuhyun slowly waved back. Sungmin looked around his room and found a notebook and a sharpie. He wrote in big bold letters, “Are You Mad?” then placed it against his window.

Kyuhyun read the sign, then flipped to a blank page in his notebook and wrote, “Why Would I Be?”

“I Don’t Know.” Sungmin replied on the paper, then flipped to another page and wrote, “Why Don’t You Come Over?”

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin’s paper, then up at Sungmin who was softly smiling. Kyuhyun wrote on a new blank page, “Be Right There.”

Sungmin smiled upon seeing the message and watched as Kyuhyun headed out of his room. Sungmin raced downstairs and waited for Kyuhyun to knock on the front door. When Kyuhyun reached the door, he knocked once and the door opened immediately. He was still in his pajamas and Sungmin giggled in his mind at that. Sungmin invited Kyuhyun in right away.

“Welcome,” Sungmin said with a smile, “To my house.”

Kyuhyun slightly chuckled as he looked around.

“Do you like it?” Sungmin asked.

Kyuhyun nodded, “Yeah. It’s very roomy.”

Sungmin smiled, “Yeah…”

“But… Where’s your Christmas decorations?” Kyuhyun asked, “I thought you loved Christmas?”

“I do.” Sungmin started, “But I don’t have anyone to share it with, so what’s the point in decorating?”

“Well… No one should be alone on Christmas…” Kyuhyun said.

Sungmin just nodded and looked at the ground.

“I mean,” Kyuhyun hadn’t realized he said these next words until he closed his mouth, “You can spend Christmas with me.”

Sungmin looked up happily, “R-Really!?”

Kyuhyun hesitated before giving him a soft smile and a slight nod.

Sungmin hugged Kyuhyun tightly, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”

Kyuhyun replied by lightly patting his back.

Sungmin pulled away a little and looked up at him, “You… You didn’t push me away…”

“Well… Y-You complained the last t-time that I d-did… A-And you-”

Sungmin got up on his tiptoes and kissed Kyuhyun’s cheek for the second time this week, "Thank you."

Kyuhyun only blushed. He then remembered his sick grandmother.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Kyuhyun started "Halmeoni wants to talk to you."

"Oh? About what?" Asked Sungmin.

"I'm not sure..."

Sungmin nodded, 'must be important.' He thought.

Kyuhyun and Sungmin both headed back to Kyuhyun's house and Sungmin headed upstairs. He knocked twice before opening the door a crack and peaking his head in.

"Oh... S-Sungminnie dear.. P-Please come in..." The woman said weakly.

Sungmin walked inside and closed the door behind him, then went to sit in the chair next to her bed.

"Ajumma, you don't look so well..."

The old woman agreed, "T-That's exactly what I wanted to t-talk to you about..."

Sungmin listened and watched the woman closely.

"I f-feel as if my last b-breath could be up-pon me at any m-moment, s-so please, keep my b-baby safe." She said, "Don't let a-anyone or any t-thing harm him. B-Be his a-angel."

Sungmin was trying to hold back small tears that were threatening to escape, yet he managed to nod slightly.

"And.. T-Thank y-you..." She finished.

Sungmin gave her a small smile before letting the woman rest. He left her room and walked back downstairs.

“Is everything okay?” Kyuhyun asked.

Sungmin didn't nod. He only hugged Kyuhyun, confusing the taller.

"I hope so..."