Picking up the Pieces

BY BLOOD

 

Ah… I finally figured out a title….. here it goes….. enjoy….

 

*******************************************************************************

 

Yoochun found her seated at a bench under a tree not so far from their house. She was crying quietly, different from her usual tears, that time Yoochun could almost feel her burden.

 

“Rei…” he whispered but she just looked at him and continued to cry.

 

Rei felt so powerless, she realized that she just gave her brother away. It hurts her so much that she cant kept the tears from falling. Her heart was so heavy.

 

“I just gave him away…” she said in between sobs.

 

Yoochun sat beside her and put his arm around her shoulders.

 

“Promise me one thing.” He said as he smells her hair. “You won’t give up on him no matter what.”

 

“But I just did.” Tears fell again. “Oppa, I thought I was strong… but I think I’m loosing my grip now.”

 

“Yah! Don’t, know matter what; he’s still your brother.”

 

Then her cell phone rings, it was the fruit of her hard labor from the Ice cream shop. It was Sakura. She immediately tried to calm herself the minute she saw her name on the screen. She can’t talk to her sounding like a beaten cat.

 

“Saki..?” She tried so hard to sound normal… but Saki knows her more than she knows herself.

 

“Something is wrong. Are you okay?” she worried over the phone.

 

Rei shook her head as if Sakura could see her.

 

“Everything is fine Saki.” Her tears then fell again bet her voice sounded so okay. Yoochun stared at her in disbelief.

 

“No! Something is wrong, tell me. I could tell something is bothering you.” She insisted.

 

“Saki?”

 

“Mimi!”

 

“I’ll just talk to you later huh?” and she immediately press the end button without waiting for her reply.

 

And she cried once more.

 

Yoochun tried to comfort her with his hugs but he’s sure that she’s longing for more… from someone.

 

“Don't give up.” He said as he looked at the sky.

 

 

 

 

 

“Is she home yet?” Jaejoong worriedly asked Mr. Lee. It’s almost mid night and she hadn’t come home yet. He knows she’s with Yoochun but that’s not enough to keep him calm.

 

“Jaejoong, you should eat your dinner now. It’s late.” Mr. Lee insisted but he’s not even moving from his seat.

 

‘You can have Jaejoong Oppa now… I already have my Yoochun Oppa now….. My Yoochun Oppa.’

 

His heart was still breaking. Rei just gave him away… his own sister. He felt a tear was about to fall but he immediately wiped it even before it appeared. It’s not because Mr. Lee was there but because he has to be strong now.

 

“I hate to say this but Yoochun was right.” He let go of a heavy sigh. “That guy, my sister loves him so much.”

 

“It’s not too late.” Mr. Lee uttered.

 

Jaejoong let go of a chuckle… “I should have given her a descent room.” He said, aware of the fact that it’s actually too late for it; she almost questioned him about the brooch before. Mr. Lee just smiled.

 

 

 

 

2 hours have passed before Rei reached home. She doesn’t want to go home yet but Yoochun insisted that she should take a rest and face everything bravely. ‘I don’t think I can do that now’ she thought as she entered the house.

 

She was surprised when she saw Mr. Lee at the living room with… Jaejoong. He quickly got up and tried to speak but no words came out of his mouth.

 

“Ah… You’re here now…” Mr. Lee greeted her with a smile. She bowed politely. “I have prepared your dinner, join your Oppa.”

 

She looked at him and turned away. They all walked to the dinning room where the food was served. It was sure looked enticing but it has no appeal to her, same with Jaejoong. It’s the first time that they sat together at the dinning hall. A deafening silence succumbed them; no one dared to utter a single word.

 

Rei was looking down while Jae just played with his food. Mr. Lee just stood there watching their move. He then decided to leave them alone so they could talk.

 

Then…,

 

“You don't have to work at that shop anymore…” Jaejoong finally found his words. Rei just listened. “You could tell Mr. Lee if you need anything…’or you could ask me, your brother.’ He didn’t dare to say the last phrase. He has to choose his word wisely now. But Rei remained silent.

 

“And…” he took a deep breath. “You can move to your former room.”

 

Rei left go of her chopsticks. Jaejoong looked at her. She kept her tears from falling again, not in front of her brother.

 

“You don't have to; I’m contented with my room.” She said, almost a whisper.

 

“But…” but to his surprised, Rei interrupted him.

 

“Can you be a little nicer even just for now?” she said with a very miserable expression. “You think giving me that room will make everything better and I will just pretend that nothing happened?” Now it’s Jaejoong’s turn to keep quiet or in other words, Rei shut the hell out of him.

 

“Do you really think that I am that shallow? You could have given me a pig pen for a room and I won’t give a damn because it’s NOT what I came here for.” ‘I came for you Oppa.’

 

Jaejoong was thunder stricken; he was expecting this reaction from her. Rei’s eyes were so heartrending she’s not what he thinks she is. Who could have thought that the shy Rei she knew could be this bold now. Maybe he really knows nothing about her, because he never tried to.

 

“You have to listen to me. Yoona will try to hurt you again.” He hesitated to bring Yoona up but he really have to.

 

Rei smiled sarcastically. “You know her so well.” Jaejoong swore he saw pain in her eyes. He immediately regretted he said those words.

 

“Rei…” but her next words were so pierce that he literally dropped his chopsticks.

 

“Just because I’m your sister doesn’t mean you can barge into my life just like that.” She stood up and went straight to her room.

 

‘Oppa…sorry’ she let her tears flow as soon as Jaejoong was nowhere in her sight.

 

 

 

 

A tear left his eyes for the first time since his Omma left him. He didn’t even shed a single tear when their Appa died but he could not hold it any longer now.

He stayed up till morning, drowning himself to the taste of whiskey from their bar. He just wanted to forget everything now. He felt stupid and invaluable. He wanted to drink until he couldn’t take it anymore. Too much pain filled him. Mr. Lee suddenly took the glass away from him but he tried to get it back.

 

“No.., you are killing yourself.” Mr. Lee said sternly.

 

He smiled pathetically. Maybe that’s what he really needed - a peaceful, hassle free rest.

 

“Jaejoong, you have to remember your promise to your Omma. You have to do it.” Mr. Lee really knew everything about their family. He knew his struggles and hardships and he had helped him make it through. But now… he just can’t do anything to lift the heaviness in his heart.

 

“I’ll bring you to your room.” Jae surrendered. He let Mr. Lee grabbed his arm and put it around his neck for support because he was so drunk and helpless and his mind was blank.

 

“Wait” he said as they passed Rei’s room. He freed himself from Mr. Lee and opened the door. He saw Rei sleeping on the small bed in that cold maid’s room. He could hear her heavy heart beat and see her tear stained face. The light from the moon shone through the window into her face. He gently her hair and said…

“Sorry….” before they headed back to his room.

 

 

 

******************************************************************************************************************

Sorry for the late update and a short chapter… well… this was so hard to write… I really tried to describe their emotions but I think I failed… hopefully you will like it and watch out for the next chapter entitled… THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM…. Thank you…

 

 

aejae22 – by blood