Me and my Baby

Me and my Baby

 

Tiffany's POV
 
"Are you ready for the job interview with Mrs. Kim?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"It's kind of last minute."
 
"I don't mind.
 
"Do you know what you're going to wear?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"Do you know how much you're gonna ask for payment?"
 
"Whatever she offers me is enough." 
 
"Anything else?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"What is it?"
 
"Why the hell are you sitting on my lap?"
 
"Because I love my little sister that much." I smiled and hugged her. 
 
"Go make me food. I'm kinda hungry."
 
"Later. I'm still waiting for Michelle to wake up, but you can go grab a snack or something." I got off Evelyn's lap and went upstairs to wake my older sister up. 
 
I made my way upstairs and went into the room Michelle has been sleeping for the past week. She would be sharing that with Evelyn, but ever since the toy incident, Evelyn refused to go near that bedroom and has been sleeping on the couch since their arrival. But now that I know that those things are in my house, I've been a lot cautious when it comes to going into Michelle's room without knocking or listening first. 
 
"Mitch?" I said loudly and knocked on the door. 
 
"What?"
 
"I'm making lunch. What do you want to eat?"
 
"Meat."
 
"Not what I meant."
 
"I seriously want meat! I want steak!"
 
"Yah! Do you realize how long that's gonna take me?!"
 
"Then you shouldn't have asked." She opened the door and patted my cheek. "A sandwich will be fine by me." 
 
I nodded and started making sandwiches for the three of us. Roast beef, lettuce, tomatoes, melted cheese and avocados on a flatbread for Evelyn. Ham, turkey, salami on wheat for Michelle. A bacon, lettuce and tomato for me. I placed each of the sandwiches on a plate and put salad on the side so my two sisters could eat something healthy today. Knowing them, they would probably be stuffing their faces with junk food and soda. 
 
"So, Evie, are you really staying here?" Michelle asked. 
 
Evelyn nodded, "Steph can take care of me and stuff. Right, Steph?"
 
"Of course. Why would I leave my baby sister to fin for herself out there? The world is a terrible place." I handed them their plates and poured Michelle and I a glass of water and gave Evelyn her favorite cup of tea. 
 
"See?" Evelyn smiled and sipped her tea. "There's no way Steph'a gonna leave me. And with mom and dad gone all the time and you and Jordan working all the time, I don't have anyone to talk to in the house. Besides, the two of you should already know that I don't exactly have a place in my high school anymore."
 
Michelle and I nodded. "It's about time for you to come to a school without being ostracized."
 
Michelle agreed, "At least Steph will keep a better an eye on you than Jordan and I."
 
I patted her leg, "Don't worry about that. Forget about the past."
 
"Yeah. What happened last year wasn't your fault." Evelyn smiled and handed me her cup. "Can I have more please?" I rolled my eyes and poured her another glass.  
 
There was a soft knock on the door. The three of us looked at each other and shrugged. Michelle got up and opened the door. 
 
"Hello. My name is Kim Hyoyeon. I'm here for Evelyn." 
 
"You're dating my sister?!" Michelle shouted. "Evelyn Hwang! Get your over here!"
 
"Michelle! She's the person who I told you about. Evie's going to be babysitting her daughter, Sunny." I said, dragging her back into the living room where we were eating our snacks. 
 
"Oh!" Michelle bowes at her waist in front of Hyoyeon, "I'm so sorry I misunderstood the situation."
 
Evelyn smiled and shook Hyoyeon's hand, "Hello, my name is Evelyn Hwang and I'm 17 years old. It's nice to meet you."
 
"Hello. I'm Kim Hyoyeon and this is my daughter, Kim Soonkyu, but she goes by Sunny." Evelyn looked down and saw little Sunshine standing behind Hyoyeon. "I'm sorry, but she's a little shy around new people. I would like to get to know you better since you'll be taking care of my child."
 
"Of course. Of course. What would you like to know about me?"
 
"How often will you be available?"
 
"Everyday after school. I don't really do much with my time. But I'm on vacation for the next month and two weeks."
 
"How old are you?"
 
"I'm 17."
 
"How much would you like to get paid?"
 
"What's your best offer?"
 
"$7.50 an hour."
 
Evelyn smiled, "That would be awesome. I honestly expected something a lot lower than what you offered."
 
"Really?"
 
Evelyn nodded, "I'm not doing it for the money. I just love kids, so I wouldn't have minded something lower."
 
Hyoyeon smiled, "How well are you with kids?" She looked down at the little girl hugging her leg. 
 
Evelyn bent down at her level, "I shouldn't be a stranger. You already know my sister, Stephanie." Sunny clung on to Hyoyeon's leg even tighter. "Aww." Evelyn laughed, "You shouldn't be afraid of Unnie. I promise I won't bite."
 
"I'm scared..." Sunny said in a tiny voice. 
 
"Scared? Scared of what?" Evelyn asked softly. 
 
"Scared that you'll leave me like Appa."
 
Evelyn looked shocked, but then smiled. She got a pen and a paper and wrote on it, "Here." She put her number in Sunny's jacket pocket. 
 
"What'd you write?"
 
"My number."
 
"Why?"
 
"So when you accidentally get lost, you just call this number."
 
"What if you just leave like Appa?"
 
"Oh." Evelyn looked up and saw Hyoyeon giving her an apologetic look. 
 
"We just told her about the divorce last night. So she's afraid that everyone's going to leave her like her father." Hyoyeon explained. 
 
Evelyn smiled and patted Sunny's head, "When I do leave, just call that number and I'll come running back."
 
"Promise?" Sunny held out her tiny pink. 
 
"Promise." Evelyn linked her pinky with Sunny's. The little girl laughed. "What's so funny?"
 
"You have a small chest."
 
"Yah!"