Final (Ver.3)

Is this how love feels like?

Mi Sun sat on a bench and looked up into the sky. She placed her hands on her sides to support herself. She had excused herself and came to the balcony just outside the hall. Staring at the night sky, she suddenly remembered a song.

“Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumps over the moon~” she sang softly. Blinking her eyes a few times, she let out a small laugh.

“What am I singing…” she said to herself.

“The little dog laughed to see such fun~”

Mi Sun turned around when she heard someone singing the remaining lines of the nursery rhymes.

“And the dishes run away with the spoon!”

Gong Chan plopped down next to her on the bench and did his signature smile that makes his eyes disappear.

“You sounded horrible.” She said to him. He pouted.

“I can’t believe you’re singing this song.” He said. “Are you looking at the sky again?”

“How did you know that?”

He put his hands behind him and looked up. “You always do that.”

Mi Sun smile as she looks at him. She loves that how he knew everything about her, even if it’s just a small gesture or something really random.

Gong Chan suddenly chuckled. “I know I’m good looking.”

Feeling flustered, she quickly looked away. “W-who said you’re good looking.” She muttered.

The sound of people chattering was heard, but none of those belong to the both of them. Mi Sun was counting the number of stars as a distraction while Gong Chan was just staring at it. He decided to break the silence after feeling uncomfortable.

“What’s bothering you?” he asked softly.

“Eh?”

“You always look at the sky when something’s bothering you. What is it?”

She sighs. Should she tell him? But she values their friendship so much and she don’t want to lose him.

“Nothing.” She replied. Gong Chan nodded.

“Just to make sure, you’re dancing with me right?”

“Channie.” She sighed. “Maybe you should ask Juri to dance with you instead of me.”

“Why her?”

She swallows hard before turning around to face him fully. “It’s about time to ask her out.” she said with a laugh.

Gong Chan was still looking at the sky. “You think?” he asked. She nodded her head.

“Why?”

“Why?” she repeated. “You like her don’t you? Since well….long time ago.”

“Hmm.” He said with his eyes still glued upwards.

Don’t cry Mi Sun. Don’t you dare cry in front of him.

“You like Juri right?” she asked him softly.

He smiled and nodded his head.

So it’s confirmed. I shouldn’t tell him then. She thought.

Forcing a smile, she stood up and smooth out her dress. “Well, go ask her before it’s too late.” She said and turned around ready to leave, but she was held back by him.

“Do you like me?” he asked. She didn’t move. She couldn’t decide is it because he was holding her wrist or because of the way he asked her made her stop moving.

“Do you, like me?” he asked again, this time pulling her closer to him until the back of her legs hit his knees.

“Don’t ask such a stupid question.” She joked, trying to cover up her disappointment. “Of course I like you. We’re best friends!”

“Hmm.”

What is that supposed to mean?She thought.

She twisted her wrist out from his grip and quickly makes up some excuse to leave. “Oh hey! I thought I saw a shooting star!”

She ran over to the railing and took a deep breath. Obviously there wasn’t any shooting star. In fact there were barely any stars in the sky.

Suddenly two hands appeared at her sides and hold onto the railing. She could feel his body pressing on her back.

She heard him sighing as he rested his chin on top of her head.

“Is that the best excuse you could give…” he said. “Isn’t it colder here?”

“Oh, I’m fi-.”

Before she could finish her sentence, Gong Chan put both of his hands on top of hers that was on the railing as he embraced her in his arms.

Mi Sun’s body stiffened at their skinship. It’s not like she had never been so closed to him before. It is because after sorting out her feelings for him, she has no clue how to act normal around him anymore.

Gong Chan interlaced his fingers with hers as her pressed his cheek at the side of her head. He smiled as he pulls her closer.

“Channie…”

“I like it when you call me that.” he said softly as he put his right hand on her head.

Her heart skips a beat then.

“Are you feeling warmer?” he asked.

I’m burning in case you didn’t realise! She mentally yells in her head.

“You’re not breathing.” He said, her hair. “Is everything alright?”

Mi Sun let go of her breath that she has been holding and shook her head. “I’m good.”

Still her hair, he hummed a reply and kissed her temple. Mi Sun eyes widen.

Did he just…?

“You know.” he spoke. “I like Juri…..”

Her shoulder deflated at those words.  I already know Channie, you don’t have to repeat so many times!

“…as a friend.”

Okay I get it. Wait, friend?!

“Huh?”

Gong Chan smiled at her reaction. “Crush, it’s only a crush.”

She doesn’t understand what he was trying to tell her. She wanted to ask him but no words came out from .

“You know what a crush means right?” he continued. She nodded her head.

He suddenly chuckles and lean his forehead on her shoulder. “I can’t believe I didn’t realisewho I really like all these years.”

“Okay…?”

Mi Sun shivers when she felt his hot breath on her neck. This situation is getting weird. She thought.

“I used to be the only guy she communicates with, the only guy who she shares almost everything with. But then, I realise that she had found someone else who she can share her life with. I admit I was jealous, I was also scared that she will replace me with someone else.”

Who is Channie talking about? I don’t recall seeing any other girl apart from Juri in his life.

“People always tell me that I am very protective of her. I thought that it’s a normal thing to be protective of your childhood friend, so I didn’t really give much thought about it.”

Mi sun’s ears perk up at two words. Childhood…friend?

Gong Chan lifted his head and breathe out. “Want to know a secret? I kinda talk to Juri about this feeling.”

“F-feeling?” she whispered. He talks to Juri but not me? She felt so disappointed.

“Yes. Feeling.” He said. “Why do I feel so jealous every time I see her smiling with a guy who is not me? Why do I get annoyed whenever she hides her sadness behind those smiles? Why is it that she is always the one coming up on my mind at everything I see?”

Mi Sun was barely listening. The word ‘childhood friend’ keeps replaying in her head. She was brought back to reality when Gong Chan pressed his cheek onto hers.

“The answer is so simple, Mi Sun.” He said. “It’s only one word.”

“Love.” She blurts out. He nodded his head which makes their cheeks to brush against each other.

“I didn’t realisethat I was in love with her all along.”

She suddenly has the urge to cry but she held it in. Maybe it is because she finally understands what was he talking about? Or was she scared to hear it from him? Her body started trembling at those thoughts. Gong Chan who realisedit patted her head.

“Mi Sun ah…” he called.

“Hmm?”

For a second she felt his heart pounding hard on her back, and that’s when she realised which childhood friend he was referring to.

“Saranghae.” he whispered.

She started crying upon hearing that word. Gong Chan panicked and quickly turned her around to face him.

“Shh…don’t cry. Did I scare you?”

He hugs her tightly and rubs her back to calm her down. She covers her face with her hands to prevent her tears from staining his coat.

“Ah..I knew you would be like this.” He said. “Forget what I said earlier.”

She shook her head fervently. “No, it’s not that.”

“I know this is very sudden but…”

“No.” she said. “It’s not.”

His hand stop moving and it rested near her waist. “Come again?”

She lowers her hands and look up at him. “I thought it’s only me. I thought that you…I mean-”

“Do you like me?” he asked her but she didn’t respond.

“No.” he said. “Let me rephrase it. Do you love me?” Mi Sun was just staring at him.

He took her hands away and cradles her face in his. “Do you?”

She face started heating up and she was hoping that he wouldn’t realiseit. “Y-yes.”

“Say it again.” he demanded.

“I, erm l-l-lo… l-ove y-you.” she whispered softly.

“Again.” he said, tilting her head upwards.

“I l-l-love y-you.”

“What?” he said with a grin. Mi Sun hit him on his chest hard causing him to cough. “You’re so mean!”

He laughs and brushed their nose together. “You’re so cute.”

She blushed at that comment.

He let out a deep breath before resting his forehead on hers. “I never imagine this day would come.”

“Me neither.” She muttered.

Gong Chan smiles and rub her cheeks with his thumb as he slowly lowers his head until his lips were hovering on top of hers. “Can I kiss you?” he asked softly.

Kiss me. He want to kiss me….My best friend wants to kiss me.

A flash light blinded their vision and Mi Sun pushed him away on reflex.

“Cute!” she heard someone saying.

“J-juri!”

Her other best friend was giggling while Sandeul was holding a camera.

“Ow.” Gong Chan whines as he rubs his back that had just hit the railing.

Juri walks over to Mi Sun and gave her a hug. “Congratulation!” she whispered into her ears.

“Huh? What do you-”

“I knew it all along dear.” she said.

“But you-”

“Let’s just say Gong Chan and I was just being confused.”

She releases her and frowns. “Urgh, were you crying? Thank goodness your eyeliner is waterproof!”

“Babe! The dance is starting!” Sandeul yelled from the other side.

“Coming!” Juri replied.

“Wait. Did he just call you b-babe?” Mi Sun asked. She nodded while trying hard not to blush.

“Ommo!” she squeals and Juri joins in too.

“See you inside!” she said before leaving with Sandeul.

Mi Sun was busy giggling until she heard someone calling her name. She turned her head around to find him kissing her cheek.

“Hey…” she said, wiping her cheek with the back of her hand. “I didn’t give you permission to do that.”

Gong Chan smiles. “Do I need permission all the time?”

She blushed. “No. I mean yes. I mean…. Okay what I’m trying to say-”

Her words were cut off when he kisses her again, but this time on her lips.

“Hmm…Strawberry.” He said with a grin.

Mi Sun’s face turns crimson as she smacks his arm. “Eee! Since when you became so….”

“So what?” he asked.

“So….urgh, I can’t believe you would-”

Gong Chan shut her up by claiming her lips again. The kiss was soft, tender and filled with love. She didn’t want him to stop and he didn’t. One hand wrapped around her waist whiles the other caressing her cheek tenderly.

He gave her one final peck before pulling away. Her hands were resting on his toned chest as she catches her breath.

“Oh.” She said when she heard the music playing. “Dance time.”

He nodded his head. “How about doing something else rather than dancing?”

She tilted her head to the side and looked up at him curiously. “Do you have something in mind?”

“Yeah.” he said with a smile. “This.”

With that, he leans down and gave her a kiss.

“Gosh, since when you become so daring.” She said.

“Since now.” he chuckles and kiss her lips fully again. Mi Sun smiled before returning the kiss.

 

So this is how love feels like. The feeling of being in love can’t be explained by just anyone, it is something that only your heart can tell. It is inevitable, uncontrollable yet risky. Some said love is right in front of your eyes before you knew it, I think that’s true.

I guess falling in love is not so bad after all.