Daegu - Birthday [Part 2]

The Bullet Taken

A/N : I'm back after god knows how long!! I truly love this story and will try my best to finish it. I'll also update all the chapters to get rid of the grammar errors. My written English has gotten much better and I feel ready to tackle the chapters with little to no spelling errors! Much love XOXO


 

  9 June 2013, BTS's dormitory, Yongsam-dong, 8pm.

Narrator’s POV

As soon as Jin entered the dormitory, he was greeted by s who quickly dismissed their talk about Yeon Ah’s birthday.

After the discussion with his brother, Jin had been feeling awfully dispirited and deeply saddened. He felt sorry for not being by her side during the toughest moments of her life, for going against her will by pursuing a career in the entertainment industry and for sometimes having argued with her, his dearest mother. Jin has always been a good son to both his parents. Taking in the news was  mentally hard. 

 

Observing his hyung’s dropping shoulders, Yoongi was the first to approach him. 

 

“How was it with your brother, hyung?” He inquired. Sensing that he wasn’t going to reply, he gently dragged him to the sofa and had everyone sit around Jin in circle. The atmosphere was heavy, with all of them wearing a grave expression. 

 

“Hyung, we’re here for you no matter what. Please do not forget that.” Jimin spoke after a while. He uttered those words with a soft tone, showing his utmost sincerity. This made Jin break into tears. The rest of the band got a great shock at the outburst but quickly regained their senses and immediately catered to Jin: Namjoon bringing tissues, Jeongguk flying to the kitchen to get a glass of water, Hoseok and Yoongi patting him on the back and Jimin crouching before him while holding his hands. The sight was heartbreaking, but also immensely touching. 

 

After regaining some composure Jin tried to speak, but to no avail. s urged him to breathe in and out deeply before diving in again. With their few days of break, there was absolutely no need to rush anything. The sole thing they planned to do during the break was to find a way out of the love triangle dilemma. 

 

After a few minutes of silence, Jin opened his mouth to speak : “She hasn’t got much time to live.” He then hid his face in his palms, not daring to look at s’ face for fear of breaking down again. 

 

A light gasp escaped their lips. Clearly, all of them were pretty shocked by the news. 

 

It must be mortifying to know that one of your parents’ days are numbered, Namjoon thought. 

 

I cannot imagine his pain. Poor hyung, Jimin clenched his hands into balls as he was looking at Jin with empathic eyes. 

 

All of them felt pretty useless in the present situation. 

 

“We are here for you. It is okay to cry your heart out before us.” Jeongguk, an ever surprising kid, said with a matured and calm voice. 

 

My baby-faced boy is growing up fast, thought Yoongi as a proud grin graced his lips. 

 

Jin looked up and smiled. He had realized how lucky he got to meet them and, most especially, to have them during tough times like these. 

 

“Thank you so much for your concern and for simply being the Bangtan that I love!” Jin exclaimed brightly, trying to change the mood. That made the members chuckle. 

 

“Being the oldest doesn’t mean you have to act strong and bold all the time. We all know how sensitive you can get”. Hoseok started laughing at his own statement, but that was triggered by a half-smiling, half-laughing Yoongi whose mischievous eyes were about to close shut as he was internally bursting into laughters. The older guys knew so well what Hoseok meant. “Our oldest is such a delicate diva.” Namjoon added. The earlier tensed atmosphere had completely disappeared by now.

 

What’s happening with Yeon Ah shouldn’t impact the unity of our group. Never ever, Jin thought. He was making a decision that he might regret later, but at least, it would not leave him remorseful. 

The debate about what’s worse between having remorses or regrets in life is a heated one. Most people would label the later ones as worst. That is because regrets are comprised of missed chances and opportunities, referring to situations where great accomplishments could have been done.

But to Jin, remorses might be worst than regrets. In his case, he could deprive his group from having a bright future if he chooses to chase after a girl who has picked the interest of his close friend within the group. 

 

You cannot erase what has been done, Jin thought.

 

“You guys are not blind. You must have seen what is going on with Yeon Ah by now. Right?” Jin eyed each of s. 

 

Them trying to act clueless is a funny scenery, Jin internally chuckled. 

 

“C’mon, stop holding your breathe like this.” 

 

Namjoon was the first one to break the silence. 

 

“Ermh. Yeh we know about that.” 

 

Damn, what is he going to tell us? Thankfully Tae isn’t here, that would have been incredibly awkward, Namjoon heaved a sigh of relief upon realizing that fact.

 

“Anyway hyung, I’m thankful to you because we got to know noona more.” Jeongguk was smiling sheepishly. 

 

Jin bitterly smiled back, but that did not go unnoticed by the members. 

 

“What’s your point?” Yoongi was urging him to speak up.  

 

“If I was not sure that Yeon Ah only consider me as a good friend of hers, I would definitely chase after her.” Jin muttered, loudly enough for s to hear him. 

 

“Wait, does it mean that you’re giving up on her? Without even trying?” Yoongi asked, wide-eyed. 

 

“You know, I’ve been giving enough clues that I like her. If she was receptive or interested in me, she would have let me know by now. I guess she isn’t.” That left s at loss for words, not knowing how to give him solace. 

 

“Yah, don’t give me the pitiful look if you don’t want me to smack your head.” Jin warned. Empathy is okay, pity is not. 

 

“We’re not pitying you, hyung. We simply feel sad that you seem to be giving up on someone without really trying beforehand.” Jimin’s words were true, but quite hurtful. 

 

“I will tell her my feelings. And I will also tell her not to worry about me and that I’m letting her go.” Jin was determined. 

 

“Is it because of Tae?” Yoongi went straight to the point.

 

Jin was slightly taken aback. His attention shifted to his younger friend. 

 

“Partly.” He heaved a sigh. “But he is not the only reason. I want us to keep being close and working towards the same dream of ours. All this story is messing my mind up. I wouldn’t want this to bring prejudice to our career.” This earned the younger boys’ acquiescence. 

 

“Speaking of career, are we even allowed to have girlfriends? I know that our CEO is pretty cool, but well, that topic is tricky.” Hoseok pondered out loud. 

 

What he is saying makes perfect sense. Even if Jin hyung retreats from this love triangle, it doesn’t mean that Tae can necessarily go out with Yeon Ah, if they ever plan to do so, Namjoon widened his eyes. 

 

“The future will tell us. For now, I want to focus on Bangtan and my family.” Jin genuinely spoke.

 

He wasn’t angry at Taehyung, simply saddened by the course of the events. “Many things cannot be controlled, I guess.”

 

He added. “From now on, I won’t be the one contacting Yeon Ah. If you wish to see her, do it yourself. I need a break from thinking of her.” 

 

Why have I been constantly shocked for the past hour? Jimin thought, letting all the news sink in.

 

“Guys, do me a favour.” Jin talked with a pleading look on his face. “Don’t mention her before me until further notice.” 

 


 

11 June 2013, Yongsam-dong, 7.30am. 

 

Yeon Ah’s POV

 

I wanted this solo trip so bad. Discovering South Korea has been on my to-do list ever since I got into South Koreans’ culture. I definitely need some time alone to figure out what the heck is happening in my mind. These hectic thoughts are not going to be sorted easily, especially not within one short day, but let me believe in the power of solo retreats haha.

Daegu is doable in a day, although I’m aware that I might not be able to see everything. I’m planning to go there again when I’ll execute my full trip around Korea.

“I’m so ready!” I beamed as I wore a thin piece of clothes and put on my baskets.

 


 

11 June 2013, Heaven Hee’s coffeeshop, 8.am. 

 

Dujun’s POV 

 

“What? Yeon Ah is only 18?” Junhyung’s face displayed sheer shock. 

 

“You didn’t know? She said so when she first started working with us.” Minyoung replied nonchalantly. “You guys are simply not paying enough attention to everything that is being said.” 

 

“How about we Skype her during break time?” Seohee suggested. 

 

“That would make her very happy. Do you know what she is up to today?” Joonmyun inquired and naturally turned to Dujun for more information, as he was the closest to the maknae of the team. 

 

, I didn’t even ask her that when I called her earlier this morning. 

 

“Ermh, she probably will be with some friends.” I replied, a bit embarrassed. 

 

“But does she know anyone in Seoul, except for us?” Minyoung asked, clearly clueless about whether Yeon Ah effectively knows other people. 

 

Damn it. That’s true. Don’t tell me that she is spending her day all alone?

 

I feel stupid. I should have asked for a day off today. 

 

“I’m calling her right now.” Joonmyun voiced out. “It’s okay since we’re early. Our first customers come in ten minutes.” He added, reassuring everyone. 

 

“Yeobuseyo?” I could hear her melodious voice echoing through the device. 

 

“Hello my dear. Happy birthday to you!” Joonmyun beamed brightly. He was followed by the rest, all taking their time to give her warm wishes. 

 

Now that I think of it, Yeon Ah has been bringing us so many positive vibes. We already had quite a good chemistry, but it is even better now. And she is so loved by my friends as well. 

 

Before I could react, the phone was handed to me by an excited Minyoung, secretly winking at me. I took it and quickly dismissed my thoughts. 

 

“Hi Yeonnie, it’s me again. Happy birthday to you.” I uttered, feeling a bit shy in front of the others.

 

Argh. I usually would never feel shy. What the heck.

 

“Thank you again Dujunnie! That’s so sweet of you!!” I could hear the excitement in her voice. Adorable. 

 

“You’re so welcome.” I was chuckling. “Sorry I didn’t ask you earlier. What are you up to today? We are all working... I should have taken a day off to stay with you.” This last sentence earned me some mischief-filled stares from the girls and annoyingly smirking expressions for the guys. Argh.

 

“How nice of you. Don’t worry about me. And we are seeing each other tonight! I’m out to Daegu today. I’ll be back before 8.” She said in one breath, sounding positive and reassuring. 

 

Junhyung started blabbering nonsense while frowning. “What?? You guys are going on a date tonight? Omg” was what his lips were expressing. 

 

But wait, she’s going there alone? Why would she travel alone on her birthday? 

 

“Ah, okay. You sure you want to go there by yourself? I’m not scared for your safety, but more worried that you would feel lonely.” I expressed my concern. 

 

Or maybe my fear.

 

What if she is going with that guy? 

 

“I’ll enjoy this trip. Don’t worry, it’s only for the day. I’m not gonna die.” She joked. 

 

I was still feeling uneasy. 

 

“You sure?” My eyebrows creased. 

 

“Yeh yeh!” 

 

“Okay then. See you tonight. Be careful.” 

 

“Yes! See you later. Mouaah.” She kissed me goodbye before the line was cut.

 

“You guys seem pretty clooooose by now.” Seohee taunted. 

 

“Like what? Tonight? Are you bringing her on a date?” Junhyung giggled his eyebrows. 

 

“You guys are misunderstanding. Her friend Rury is throwing a party for her. She invited me and told me to invite you as well. It won’t be just me and her.” I rolled my eyes on them. 

 

“Oh and are you resenting us for coming tonight?” Minyoung laughed at my face. 

 

“Yah, I never said that.” 

 

“But your eyes said so.” Joonmyun talked after having observed our interactions. I glared at him and he simply shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Well, she said that she will go to Daegu today. Alone though.” 

 

“Seriously? I know that she is the adventurous type but wouldn’t she feel lonely? Especially on such a day.” Seohee further inquired.

 

“I know right. You should have taken a day off.” Minyoung eyed me. 

 

“C’mon.” I was feeling grumpy by now.

 

“You’re actually fun to tease man!” Joonmyun beamed. Haha, is it funny ?

 

“Teasing you is funnier.” And then we started singing in unison. 

 

“I’m Seo Seo-Hee but I love you Da Geojitmal
Iya Molrasseo Ijeya Arasseo Nega Piryohae
I’m Seo Seo-Hee but I love you Narkaroun Mal
Hwatgime Nado Moreu ge Neol Tteonabonaetjiman”


(Lyrics of Lies by Big Bang, a remix obviously)

 

What happened surprised the heck out of us.

 

Joonmyun starting singing with us. 

 

I was truly shocked.

 

Are they finally going out in the open? 

 

Seo Hee was blushing furiously. Hohoho, we love the upcoming drama.

 

—-

11 June 2013, Daegu Train Station, 11.30am. 

 

Yeon Ah’s POV

 

As I alighted from the train, I was reminded of what I was told about one hour ago.

 

Flashback 

 

Dingdingding 

 

You are particularly loved when it’s your birthday huh. 

 

“Hi hi hi ?” I hummed jovially.

 

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY YEON AH NOONA!!!” My eeeeears. 

 

“Thank you my little babies!!!” Am I being too affectionate? ARMYs would kill me if they knew. 

 

“We are so excited to see you tonight!!” I heard Hoseok scream. I must be on speaker. 

 

Oh, Rury must have invited everyone. Is it okay for them to come? They are still public figures… 

 

“Are you guys coming as well?” I inquired. 

 

“Don’t you want us to?” I could imagine Jimin pouting. LET ME PINCH YOUR CHEEKS BABY. 

 

“Oh I don’t mean it that way! I’m worried about you. You guys are now Idols. Your acts are sort of scrutinised by the media and your fans. I wouldn’t want to contribute negatively to your fame.” Worry was evident in my voice. 

 

I heard them laughing lightly. I’m being serious right now TT

 

“It’s okay Yeonnie, I heard that we are going to a privatised place! Not sure if it’s in a restaurant or in an apartment though.”

 

Oh yeah, I don’t know what’s going on tonight. Rury is unpredictable, so I don’t even want to try guessing what will happen. 

 

“Okay, see you tonight then! I’m so honoured to have you as my invitees. I wasn’t asking for so much blessing.” I spoke jokingly, but deep inside, I meant every single words I said. 

 

“You’re too cute noona! By the way, can I switch on the video mode?” Jeongguk asked. 

 

I switched it on and could see their extremely funny faces from a low angle. They were all here, except for Jin and Taehyung. 

 

Like yeh? 

 

“Oh noona! You’re so pretty.” That was so out of the blue. I swear I could feel myself blushing. 

 

“You’re getting shyyyyyy.” Yoongi taunted. 

 

“And I’m going to hang uuuuuup.” I replied. 

 

“No no!! I was just kidding. You can’t even take a joke.” He rolled his eyes. I just pulled out my tongue, clearly amused. 

 

“Where are you heading to?” Hoseok asked as he saw me seated in a r

 

“I’m going to Daegu today. I’ll be back before 8.” 

 

I heard them gasping. What? 

 

“Be careful on your way there then. Are you alone?” Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows. 

 

“Erhm, yes I guess?” I showed them the empty seat beside. “It’s a solo trip!” 

 

“Might not be a solo one after all.” I think that I heard Yoongi murmur it, but I’m not quite sure. 

 

“What did you say Yoongi?” 

 

“Nothing.” And he sent me a tempting look. PFFFFF. 

 

“You might need a tour guide. I’ll send someone I know there to come and pick you up!” Namjoon offered. That’s nice, but I don’t need someone to pick me up, neither do I need to be guided through the city. 

 

“I’ll be fine on my own Namjoonie. Thank you for your help though.” 

 

“It’s too late.” He chuckled. “Get some rest before you arrive there! See you tonight!” He quickly said before hanging up.

 

What was that?

 

End of Flashback 

 

I was so deeply lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realise I had already walked to the end of the platform and was about to exit the train station. 

 

And how much clumsier can I get? 

 

I just bumped into someone. As I was about to say sorry, I heard a familial voice hummering.  

 

“Hello there, it’s been a while.”