Chapter 6: Hye Sung

Arranged Marriage To.....

"Eun Joo?" I turned to look all around me. "Where are you?" I got no reply, but a few stares and whispers around me. Starting to feel anxious, I began to scan the crowd around me to see if I could see her anywhere. Nope. When I couldn't see her in the crowd, I went walking back to the fountain in a hurried fashion, pushing past a couple of people who were sending me glares. The crowds of people were growing exceptionally larger by the moment because many of the people there wanted to see the sun set at the Eiffel Tower.

When did we get separated? How? Did she walk off without me or was it me? As I got back to the fountain, I began to think about how we got separated. After a while, I pushed the these thoughts out of my head and began to look around the fountain area first. Here at the fountain, the streets were less crowded since most of the people went over to the Eiffel Tower and I was able to see everything clearly around me now. Eun Joo wasn't there.

The sun would set soon and I had to find Eun Joo. I took my phone out ready to call her, when I realized I didn't have her number. Come to think of it, we had never exchanged numbers and I had never cared about anything related to her. Beginning to get stressed, I tucked my phone in my pocket. I ran down the street anxious to go and find her. I found it hard to breathe with all the running I was doing and especially since I was holding my breath most of the time, hoping that she was alright and didn't get abuducted by a crazy and creepy old man. As I ran, I barely let myself stop since the sky was already dark. 

When it was nine p.m., I let myself stop. I couldn't find her. For all I know, she could've been murdered and it would be all my fault. Turning to go back to the hotel, I heard a laugh. Hoping it was her, I turned around to see a girl, who looked about the same age as I was. She was wearing a white beanie over her straight black hair and had the same side swept bangs as Eun Joo. She was wearing a black cardigan that contrasted with her white beanie and skinny jeans with the classic black converse. She was kneeling now in front of a pitbull and its owners who stood there patiently as she played with the pitbull. The pitbull her fingers happily and barked a few times before letting her pet him. She looked so familiar, but I could put my finger on it.

As the owners waved good bye to her and she got up, she turned to look at me, since I had been, truthfully staring at her. For the past five minutes I had stood there staring at her, slightly panting, wondering where I had seen her. She looked so familiar. When I came to the realization to who she was and she did as well, she broke the silence.

"Oh... It's you...." She said. Once she had said so, I felt my legs turn weak. Mustering as much of my energy, I ran up and hugged her.

"Hye Sung-ah..." I said, hugging her. I could feel her lips curve into a smile.  We stood with our arms wrapped around each other for some time. We separated from the hug when we heard a mysterious noise. The sound of something falling. We turned to find the source of the mysterious noise. I crossed my fingers and hoped it wasn't a paparazi. However, my heart dropped once I saw a large Nikon camera hanging around the neck of a person. I turned to face the person, ready to chase the person once she begins to run away with photos. 

However, she isn't running away. In fact, she isn't even prepared to run away nor does she have to run away. She's someone I know. Eun Joo.

"Dong Ho-ah," Eun Joo said, her voice was still steady, conveying no emotion like usual despite what she had just seen. "I bought you a raspberry cheesecake from the CheeseCake Factory, but I dropped it." She bent down, picking up the box and opening it to make sure the cake was okay. The cake was mutated. Literally. It didn't resemble a cake and it was already all melty like.

"I guess it's still edible." She said after seeing the cake all messed up. 

"Forget it." I told her weakly, taking the cake from her and then throwing the cheesecake away in a nearby garbage can.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I've been busy travelling these past few years. That's all." Hye Sung said, as soon as her mocha came. "However, I was thinking about returning home soon. I miss the kimchi and the cute little shops there." We came to a coffee shop after I had found Eun Joo or rather Eun Joo found us.

"When are you going back to Seoul? How soon is 'soon'?" I asked teasingly. She smiled at me.

"In a week." She replied, flicking my forehead.

"Ouch!" I  winced and pretended that it had hurt a lot. Eun Joo sat next to me, quietly sipping on a glass of water since she had said she didn't like coffee and tea would make her stay up all night.

"Aww.... Is the little baby hurt?" Hye Sung teased. I couldn't help it but smile because it was her, teasing me.

"Very." I replied. "How could you not tell me you were going to move all over the place?"

"Sorry. I just could think of anything at that moment because of all the excitement of getting to travel to my favorite places in the world." Hye Sung replied apologetically. "Anyhow it's getting late and we all should go back to our hotels and get some sleep." Hye Sung finished her mocha and got up, which made me disappointed. I get to see her after three years and now we have to go our separate ways so soon?

Eun Joo got up and gave Hye Sung a tiny smile. "It was nice meeting you." Eun Joo said, politely holding her hand out for Hye Sung to shake.

"Hmm." Hye Sung said. "It was nice meeting you too." They did a breif handshake and when Hye Sung was about to leave, I blurted out.

"I'll walk you back to your hotel." I offered. Hye Sung looked at me a little unsure.

"But what about your wife?" She looked at Eun Joo who was looking at me too.

"Oh, I can walk back by myself." Eun Joo quickly offered. "The hotel's not that far from here." Actually, the hotel was about a thirty minute walk just to get back.

"Oh, okay then." Hye Sung replied. "Be careful on your way back then."

"You too." Eun Joo replied formally. It didn't make much sense with her saying it since I was walking Hye Sung back and she was better off than her, but okay. We walked out together and separated as soon as we got out of the coffee shop. The cool breeze felt nice to me as I walked next to Hye Sung, breathing in her sweet scent that I had missed for ever so long for three years. As we walked, I updated her on what was going on in Seoul and especially since she was intrested, in how Eun Joo and I got married. 

When I had got back to my hotel roughly a hour later, since Hye Sung's hotel was only twenty minutes away, I was surprised to see Eun Joo still awake and deep in thought. She was all washed up and was wearing her "pajamas" but was sitting at the dining room table in thought.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" I asked. It felt weird for me to be so nice to her, but  Hye Sung had effected me. Every time I see her, even back three years in Seoul, I would get all hyped and happy and treat everyone around me nicer. I took off my sweater and hung it on the clothing rack.

"It's just that I'm not really tired." Eun Joo replied. As I washed up and slid into bed, I started to realize the reason why she wasn't sleeping. Or a possible reason to why she wasn't sleeping. It was because we had never shared a bed before. Nonetheless, slept on the same floor. Back in Seoul, she had slept on the sofa in the living room (first floor) and I had slept comfortably on the bed in the master's bedroom, (second floor).

"Go to sleep. Hye Sung invited us to eat lunch with her tomorrow and I don't want you to fall asleep in the middle of lunch." I told her. She looked at me.

"I will. You get some sleep too." Eun Joo said. She got up and tucked me into bed gently and went off to pour a cup of water. I untucked myself and sat up on the bed watching her.

"I can't get any sleep knowing that you might ruin my day tomorrow if you don't get any sleep. Now go to sleep." I commanded her. I patted the other side of the bed, indicating where she should sleep. She brought the cup of water over to my bedside table and left it there, just in case I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a bit thirsty, which happened often.

"Ne." She replied as she slowly sat on the edge of the bed. I turned the lights off and was prepared to go to sleep when  realized she wasn't lying down.

"Sleep." I ordered her. Slowly, she laid down and tucked herself in. I rolled my eyes as I watch her do so.

"Since we only have a bed here, I'll endure sleeping in the same bed as you for a few nights."

"I know I'm a bit troublesome. I'm sorry." She replied. I turned to sleep on my side, my back facing her. I was deep in thought now. She was such a queer person. Usually someone would reply with contempt or annoyance, but she was different. She replied with sincere and seemly dark words.

I woke up freezing. The room was still pitch black and dark, meaning it was not morning yet. As I curled up into a ball trying to get as warm as I can, I could tell that Eun Joo was still awake. With my back still facing her, I forced myself to go to sleep, since I wasn't going to steal her side of the blanket and make her freeze.

I woke up again a few hours later or so, thirsty. Looking at the clock on my bedside table, it had said, four a.m. I stayed snuggled under the covers for a while longer, not wanting to sit up and face the cold air that will surely hit me. A little dazed, I realized that I was feeling warm and not cold any more. I looked at the blanket which had been folded neatly in half and tucked me in and made me warm. I look at Eun Joo who was sleeping a little rigid. She didn't have her blanket, which must've meant she had either given me her blanket or I had taken it and based on the tucked blanket, she had obviously tucked me in. I could see the goosebumps that were already formed on her arms in the dark.

Sighing and shaking my head in disapproval, I tucked her in with her side of the blanket as gently as she had done so for me. I turned to my bedside table to grab the cup of cool water and drank it. As I was drinking the water, I choked a little. I don't remember putting a cup of water next to my bedside table. When I looked at Eun Joo, I remembered. Oh yeah... Eun Joo. I don't know why I've never thought about the cups of water next to bedside table in Seoul, but now I did. As I finished the cup of water and left the cup on the bedside table, I slid under the blanket and turned to sleep on my side, with my face facing Eun Joo.

Why was she treating me so nice? I mean I've never done anything for her and she treats me this nice? She's certainly a strange person. I thought in the dark. The room was completely silent. Except for one thing.

"Stupid."

 

 

*Sorry for the extremely long chapter. And I didn't get to update on Tuesday, as I had hoped to because the computer wouldn't turn on T^T. Then the all the electronics were all taken away from me for a few days. Yeah, so enjoy. And yes, Hye Sung. Who is she to Dong Ho? I guess we'll find out soon enough. Leave any comments below on any ideas to who Hye Sung is to Dong Ho. :D Enjoy~*