Chapter 3: Burning Feeling and Spicy Noodles

Arranged Marriage To.....

*Eun Joo's POV*

Honestly, I don't know why I can't seem to ever feel anything. How can people smile for so long? How can people laugh? As I am pondering about such things, I realize that Dong Ho's friend was standing next to me. 

"Hello," I said politely. He looked like he was older than me. I was a year younger than Dong Ho and according to grandfather, Dong Ho is the youngest amongst his friends, meaning that this friend was older than me.

"Hi, my name is AJ. Well, actually it's Jaeseop, but the company gave me the name AJ." AJ said, giving me a big smile. I gave him the tiny smile I always seem to force onto my face. I still don't get it. What makes a person smile? I know it has something to do with your emotions and feelings, but what are they? What use are they to you if you can't feel them?

"I'm Song Eun Joo." I replied. AJ continued to smile and nodded.

"I heard you introduce yourself to Hoon. Anyhow, we should go and get something for the rest of them to eat. We've been practicing all morning. Some of us even missed breakfast." AJ said, pointing at his grumbling stomach. I nodded and looked at him.

"You shouldn't skip breakfast. According to many doctors, they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I advise carefully and formally. "Do you by any chance know what Dong Ho likes to eat?"

"Ah, Dong Ho...." AJ looked up thoughtfully. "Dong Ho is a big fan of meat and greasy foods." He gave me a look. "Why are you asking? Do you like him?"

"No, it's just in order to be a perfect wife in the future, I should understand what my husband likes right?" I reply without much thought. "What does 'like' exactly mean?" AJ stopped walking for moment to stare at me. I look back at him thinking about rule # 47 grandfather had taught me. Never stare at someone. It's rude and shows that you have no manners. 

"Don't you know what 'like' is?" AJ asked me astonished. Before I could even reply with a proper answer, he answered me. "It's when you can't stop thinking about the certain someone or something and when your heartbeats every time you see it." I looked at him thoughtfully.

"How do you feel it?" I asked. AJ stopped walking again to stare at me yet again. I look back at him thinking about rule #47 again.

"Have you never felt it before?" AJ asked. Without waiting for my reply again, he starts to talk again. "Do you have any certain hobby or do you play any kind of instrument?"

"Yes, I play the violin. Why?" We were talking about feelings and emotions and then he suddenly changes into asking me if I play an instrument.

"Why did you begin to play the violin in the first place?" AJ questioned me.

"Because of my grandfather. He said my mother and my grandmother played the violin too. He said I must carry it on." I reply easily. AJ looked at me, cocking his head to one side. 

"But when you play it, do you feel happy? Do you feel your heart beating?" He asks. I think back on it carefully. I practice it every night at exactly nine p.m. for two hours straight. Did my heart beat? I look back at him before answering.

"No." AJ looked at me shaking his head.

"Then why do you even play it then if you don't even feeling your heart beating to it?" He asked me. 

"Because of my grandfather." Without saying much, AJ stopped in front of a small shop. "Where is this?"

"We're in front of a fried chicken shop." AJ replied. "Those guys really love fried chicken. SInce you're going to be marrying Dong Ho, you should know he LOVES fried chicken. Let's go in and buy some for them." AJ started to head in, but he stopped once he saw I wasn't moving. 

"I'm sorry, but I can't." I said rudely. Well, it was in a formal way, but considering the fact that he hasn't even asked me a question yet and I answered him already was rude. According to grandfather. Grandfather would be displeased with my recent attitude. AJ looked at me puzzled. "Grandfather has strict rules about me entering such a place. Maybe you can get them the food, while I get them drinks."

"Wow, your grandfather seems like the strict type. But fine. I'll get the chicken and you get the drinks. Dong Ho likes coke and the rest are fine with either any type of soda. I'll just get water okay?" AJ told me. He walked into the fried chicken shop as I walked off to find a suitable place to get the drinks AJ had told me.

I saw a convience store, but hesitated to walk in. Would grandfather allow me to enter such a place? It wasn't dirty and it looked well-organized. It had fit all of grandfather's criterias. So why not? I entered slowly and went to find the water bottles. I found them easily and I found coke. Coke was easy to find, but it was the only soda I knew existed. I remember the time where Dong Ho had told me that Coke was a soda. What other sodas were there? I got two bottles of water, one for me and the other for AJ and a bottle of coke for Dong Ho. I went over to the lady who stood behind the counter, with loudly smacking on something while she was reading a gossip magazine. Grandfather had always told me that those magazines were nothing but full of lies and they would make you immediately dumb.

"Excuse me, but do you guys have any other sodas besides Coke?" I asked polietly. The lady threw the gossip magazine down on the counter in front of her and started to smack louder on something she was chewing on. She opened a cooler and handed me a pepsi, Dr. Peppers, and sprite. I slowly picked up two more bottles of sprite and headed over to the counter and paid for them. I went back to the fried chicken place where AJ stood there patiently waiting for me. When AJ saw me he smiled. I walked over to him, carrying a plastic bag filled with soda as he showed me two boxes of fried chicken and we went off to the practice room.

When we got there, Dong Ho and his friends grabbed at the fried chicken. I gave them the drinks they had desired and I sat on a plastic chair watching them as they ate and yelled at each other, quietly sipping at my water every now and then. I could feel that Dong Ho was trying his best to ignore me. Even though he was trying his best to ignore me, I didn't mind since his friends came over to talk to me. Especially AJ. When practice was over, Dong Ho took off without me, leaving me having to catch up with him. I knew it would be rude to ask for someone to wait up for me, so I kept trying desperately to catch up to Dong Ho who was getting onto a bus. I got on, but then realized I wasn't supposed to be taking a bus. But anyhow, I stood next to the seat Dong Ho was sitting on since all the seats in bus were taken.

"Where should we go to eat dinner?" I asked Dong Ho. Dong Ho looked at me with the look grandfather has when I don't get first place in a violin competition. Which happened once.

"Listen to me, Eun Joo-ah." Dong Ho said, literally spitting. "I don't like you, I don't want to get married and moreover, I won't have dinner with you." By the time, Dong Ho got off the bus, Dong Ho seemed to be tired with having a convosation with me. I wanted to have a good relationship with him before our "marriage". Dong Ho was in the front of his apartment door, searching through his pockets. When he couldn't find his key, he began to ring the doorbell in which no once answered to. He told out his phone and called someone and he returned to my 'grandfather's state' again.

"Let's go get...." He mumbled. I looked at him puzzled. I heard the first three words but what was the last word. I stood there thinking carefully about what he had just said. He turned around, rolling his eyes at me and then taking my arm and pulling me somewhere. I wasn't used to be pulled around, it hurt. But honestly, at least I could tell grandfather that he went somewhere with me. We went to another tiny shop that was dirty and Dong Ho said we were eating dinner here. He ordered a big bowl of spicy ramen, which I have no idea what it is, but according to him, it's like noodles. I declined in which he looked at me as if I was insane.

When his "dinner" came, I was curious to what it was. All I knew was that it was udon or like noodles. It was in a big and I do mean big bowl. The waiter had given us two small bowls so that we could scoop a little noodles into our bowls and eat it like that. Dong Ho was already gulping down three bowls and I just sat there unwilling to touch the food when he looked up at me.

"Eat." Dong Ho said motioning to the bowl. He had already know what I was going to say before I could open my mouth and speak. "If your grandfather yells at you, I'll help you take the blame." He said in grandfather state again. I refused to take a bowl of whatever it was and he sat next to me instead of across from me. He took my bowl, putting in the noodles and soup and putting it down in front of me. "Eat." 

"Dong Ho, you know my answer." I said steadily without being rude. He looked at me sighing. He took my chopsticks and picked up a few noodles with it.

"Open your mouth." Dong Ho ordered. I refused, not even replying to him. "Do it before I tell your grandfather that we didn't go on a date today."

"Why would you do that though?" I asked. "If you do it, your mom-," I was cut off. He stuffed the noodles into my mouth rudely.

"Chew it." He told me. I looked at him, feeling something burning inside of me. I started to chew on the noodles until I realized it was burning my tongue. I swallowed it accidently and then began to cough, my breath feeling hot. Dong Ho began to laugh. I was burning up here and he was laughing?! Before I could do something to him, I caught myself. Why am I acting and thinking like this? Maybe the burning feeling is from the noodles. Not from the grandfather state. I breathed out, drinking the glass of water in front of me, looking at Dong Ho. Yes, it was the noodles.

 

 

*Long chapter T^T Things will start to take a new turn after their marriage. So wait. Please :D Thank for reading and enjoy!*