Disappointed

Arranged Marriage To.....

Eun Joo

I found myself quite frazzled as I sat at home alone, thinking about the 29th. It was the day of my competition and the day of his birthday. Biting my lower lip, I found myself going using the internet to search for items he might like. Nothing came to mind and a sinking feeling overwhelmed me as I let my head hit the wooden dining room table. There was only a few more hours left until he came home and I wanted his gift to be a surprise. Unfortunately, I was no good with surprises. I would probably have to end up asking him as nothing had come to mind.

Standing up, I decided to head out and get some fresh air while keeping an eye out for items he might like. Walking around the streets of Seoul, I found myself stopping at a various of different shops. As I peered through a shop window to see couples, teenagers, and the elderly in the process of decorating their cakes, a smile broke out on my face as I immediately entered the shop. 

Though the manager was reluctant to let me bake my own cake and decorated, they settled upon charging a bit more for it as I explained that it meant a lot to me. I was making someone I loved a cake and I wanted it to be from scratch. After baking the cake, I settled with the decorations- drawing pictures of my own on it (not the best compared to the other couples around me) and to finish it off, I placed a heart shaped sugar cookie in the middle of the cake. 

Satisfied with the cake I had made, I asked the manager if I could possibly leave my cake here with them and pick it up later. After negotiating for a while, the manager agreed and led me to the kitchen to store my cake away in their fridge.

"I'm going to be home a bit later. Something... came up." Dong Ho's voice seemed distant and rushed as he hung up without even bothering to wait for my reply. Thinking he was busy with work, I slid the cake into the fridge and thanked the manager. Leaving the store, my phone rang again.

"Eun Joo, where are you?" This time around, it was AJ who had called me. When I had told him where I was, AJ responded. "Hmm... It seems to be a complete coincidence. Look behind you." Taking a look behind me, my eyes met with his and he broke out into a grin.

"What are you doing here? I would expect that you have a busy schedule to attend to." I said, tucking her phone away.

"Oh, the company gave us a tiny break for today. They relieved us of dance practice today." He answered. 

"Really? I just got a call from Dong Ho... he seemed busy." I blurted. AJ sent me a queer look and I immediately added, "he didn't say he was working, I just assumed it. So he could be doing something else, really."

"Maybe." I could sense something off about AJ and I dismissed it. I wasn't in any position to meddle with his life. "Anyways, speaking of him- his birthday is coming up. I'll assume that you know, right?"

"I know, but I don't know what to get him. Come to think of it, I've never grown close enough to him to know exactly what he wants." I sighed, feeling a bit guilty. "As a wife, I don't know. People typically know right? They know what their significant other likes and dislikes. I can't even tell the difference!" 

Maybe he wasn't my significant other. After all, I feel like I stole him from Hye Sung. I feel like the villain in a drama. I thought grimly. No, I've been watching too many dramas. Everything- will be fine. I wasn't the type to think too negatively about things, but somehow- today, I was.

"By the looks of it, Dong Ho hasn't given you much of a chance before." AJ says, trying to warm up the atmosphere. Sending him a weak smile, he pulls me along to some shops, looking for a gift. "I'll help if anything. I'm just glad you two are getting along now." Mumbling something else under his breath, he sent me a smile as we entered the first store.

 

AJ

Because the both of you are getting along better now, it hurts less knowing that you're still with him. As long as he treats you right, I suppose.

I don't know if I should be happy with the fact that they were in a way- happy with each other. However, there was one thing that bothered me and it was Dong Ho. His relationship with Eun Joo had been getting better and better, however his sudden disappearances from dance practices and during breaks bothered me. Eun Joo didn't seem to have the slightest clue to where he'd gone. Neither did I. In my gut I knew, when we both found out- it'd be nasty.

Averting my thoughts to Eun Joo, who was picking the glass objects up carefully, I smiled and reached for a snow globe. It was the beginning of a hot summer and most certainly, the sight of snow- fake or real, could bring memories back of the freezing winter. In my theory, it could make me forget about the heat for a moment.

"I don't think Dong Ho would like this." Eun Joo took the snow globe from my hands as she examined it. "I've seen his fan gifts. In the winter, he got piles of these. He didn't seem to care too much about them."

The rest of the day was spent with Eun Joo and I couldn't feel any happier. As I came to a stop at her house, I touched the blue pouch from my pocket, concealing it in my sleeve.

"Thanks for helping me find a gift for him." Opening the door, she turned to me as if she was inviting me in for a drink.

"No problem. Thank you for spending today with me." I beamed, childishly and I was immediately embarrassed. Without much thought, she let out a short laugh as she turned to head in. "Wait." Turning back to me with a confused expression, I took her hand.

"A little something for today!" Taking the blue pouch from my sleeve, I smiled at her surprised reaction, slowly realizing what it was. Pulling the ring from the pouch and slipping it onto her finger, she smiled and gazed at the ring.

"My ring! I thought I lost it for good." She muttered as she touched the ring. I forced a smile onto my face, seeing how happy she was. Not with me, but with him. "AJ- I can't express how thankful I am. Thank you for finding it!"

"It's okay." I answered softly, placing my hand on top of her head playfully. "Go inside now. It's pretty late already."

"Do you want to come in for a drink?" Before I could answer her, the sound of footsteps just behind her became louder and before I knew it, Dong Ho was by her side. Eying me with caution, he stood close to Eun Joo as I mustered a smile.

"I don't have anything to say to him right now. It's late too. We don't want your grandfather coming back and getting the wrong idea, do we?" I questioned lightly, pushing her through the door gently. "Good night, Eun Joo."

"Good night to you too, AJ. Get home safe and sound, okay?" Closing the door softly, I could hear Dong Ho whisking Eun Joo off. 

How jealous I was. Dong Ho, you better treat her right. If not, the first thing I'll do is stand by her side, ready.

It wouldn't take long. I don't know why this thought flew through my mind, but it was something with his behavior. I knew it wouldn't take long.

 

Eun Joo

I woke up with the bed cold and empty, which was unusual as I had gotten into the habit of finding Dong Ho still sleeping. Getting out of bed, I headed into the bathroom to wash up before stopping in front of my room. The room I was supposed to stay in, but Dong Ho had decided to put his fan gifts in. A room in which I was not permitted to even enter. As strange as it had seemed, I breezed past the room and down the stairs to grab a kimbap roll in the fridge as my breakfast as I took a step out into the humid air of Seoul.

Fanning myself, I headed to the supermarket, eating the kimbap. Dong Ho and I had arranged to have lunch together today and I needed the ingredients to make the lunch. I wanted it to be a nice meal, a meal I had longed to have with my mother and father. Blinking back the tears in my eyes from the thought of my parents not being able to eat the food I make ever, I stepped into the cool supermarket. 

"Hey, don't eat it now!" A loud voice greeted me as I grabbed a red basket by the door. Diverting my attention to the group of boys in front of me, I recognized the light blonde hair. "I paid for all of this you know!"

"Don't be stingy, Eli." Hoon complained. "Can't you treat us to some chocolate every now and then?"

"That's hyung to you! Don't forget I'm older than you and therefore you should show me some respect!" Eli thwacked the back of Hoon's head as I muffled my laughter at the sight of the group bonding. Realizing almost all of them were here, I scanned their faces in search of Dong Ho.

"You're older than me by a few months! Big deal! I have bigger muscles than you, so try me!" Hoon argued as Kevin laughed and finally stepped in to separate the both of them, resulting in Kiseop stealing a snack Kevin had bought a few moments earlier. AJ at that moment, shook his head and walked away when he caught sight of me.

"Oh Eun Joo, what are you doing here?" Surprised that he had noticed me, I sent him a smile.

"Nothing much. Dong Ho and I agreed to eat lunch together later today. I was thinking of buying some ingredients to make the lunch." I answered, peering over AJ's shoulders. "What are you guys doing here? Don't you guys have a schedule today?"

"Nope, the company had nothing planned out for us today. They're too busy promoting the girl group, Horoscope." AJ answered in a seemingly warm way. "It's nice because after a few years of performing earnestly, we get more and more days off now."

"That's nice. So does that mean Dong Ho has a day off today too?" I questioned, wondering where he could've gone so early in the morning. Putting his hands in his pockets, he nodded.

"He doesn't have any solo activities as far as I know off. In fact, he took off the moment our manager told us we could rest today." AJ answered thoughtfully. 

"That's strange..." I muttered under my breath as AJ looked at me. 

"Well, are you shopping or not?" AJ asked, taking the basket from me. Leaving my thoughts behind, I smiled at him and nodded.

"What about the other members?" I asked as I turned to look back at the quarreling five. Eli and Kiseop were now at it and Kevin was write in between trying to stop them.

"NO, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. THIS ISN'T FAIR! I PAID FOR ALL THESE SNACKS AND YOU GUYS-" Eli yells, trying to get his point through. 

"ELI, THIS IS A SUPERMARKET. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, NO YELLING!" Soohyun said, interfering. The look on his face tells the four of them to calm down, but they do the exact opposite and they are begin to yell.

"SHUT UP SOOHYUN. YOU'RE YELLING TOO. THIS FIGHT IS BETWEEN ME, MY SNACKS, AND KISEOP PLUS HOON!" Eli yells over Kiseop's voice. Trying to grab his chips back from Kiseop, Kiseop fought back, unwilling to let go of the bag of chips.

"Guys, calm down. Let's think rationally about this okay? It's just a bag of chips-"Soohyun paused as he watched them continue to fight amongst themselves. Pulling snacks from each other, Soohyun approached them trying to talk some sense into them. "The both of you need to stop, this is a public place!"

"Leave us-" As Eli grabbed the bag of chips from Kiseop, his victory was short lived.

"OW!" Tumbling to the floor, Kiseop and Eli immediately stopped bickering as Kiseop stepped away from Eli, pointing at him. Soohyun was on the floor, a hand over his left eye, wincing in pain. With a deep growl escaping Soohyun's throat, Eli and Kiseop dropped their bags, all desperately running to the doorway.

"Well, they seem busy." AJ responded as he looked back, sending me a smile. "It looks like they'll be doing a lot later."

With that being said, the both of them headed to the vegetable aisle, after hearing a solid few high pitched screams outside of the supermarket along with the vision of Soohyun with his sneakers off, ready to pelt it at the Kiseop and Eli, with Hoon and Kevin chasing after Soohyun. Nevertheless, AJ looked embarrassed.

 

 

It wasn't long before grocery shopping was done. I wanted to reach home quickly and of course, AJ was a complete gentleman, offering to see me home (though he couldn't exactly send me home like he had planned since Hoon and Kevin had stolen his car to catch up with raging Soohyun and scared Eli and Kiseop who surprisingly enough, ran well over a few miles). 

Arriving at the doorstep, out of courtesy, I invited AJ inside to have a drink. I felt bad that he had decided to take the bus with me despite the heat and the lack of space on the bus. Setting a cup of iced tea to cool AJ down, I headed into the kitchen to wash the vegetables before cutting them.

"Do you need any help?" Brushing my hair away, I sent a smile to AJ.

"It's okay. I cook all the time, so cooking now wouldn't be a problem. Besides, you've done enough for me today." It was true. From helping me pick up the groceries to seeing me home, I was overwhelmed by the amount of things he had helped me with. Of course, the scene in Japan still lingered in my mind from time to time, but it was vague. At that time, I didn't understand how I felt about the situation. In fact, I didn't even understand what was happening. Everything was just a blur. With that in mind, I refrained from treating him any different than when I had first met him.

"Hmm... but it all doesn't add up. You invited me in for a cup of tea and to cool down. I should repay you for your hospitality shouldn't I?" Rolling up his sleeves, he took a potato from the sink and began cutting it into small squares, earning a tiny smile from me.

"Well then, thank you." Taking a spot next to him, I grabbed a pot and turned the faucet on, waiting for it to be filled up halfway. With that, an hour flew past as we stayed in the kitchen cooking.

 

 

Setting up a tiny bowl with kimchi in it to finish off the lunch I had planned to have with Dong Ho a while back, AJ settled onto a seat, staring at all the dishes. With a heavy and playful sigh, he stared up at me as I rearranged the dishes on the table.

"How lucky is Dong Ho? Getting a meal like this every day." Unable to conceal my smile, I made eye contact with him.

"I'm sure you'll get meals like this once you find yourself a wife. For now, you can pop in here sometimes and eat meals with us if you like." Placing the pot of potato soup in the middle of the table and looking at the clock hanging on the wall, I smiled. "He should be back in a few minutes."

Little had I known a few minutes would be half an hour.

I also didn't know how it could end up to be two hours.

That day I got sick and tired of hearing the dial tone.

That day, I learned how comforting AJ's presence could be.

 

That day I was disappointed.

 

 

A/N: I am sooooooo sorry for the super late update. I was looking high and low for a trailer maker but for some reason- all the shops are either full, hiatus, or my request got deleted (2 shops, one of which revamped and deleted my request and I decided not to reapply after I had waited weeks just to end up with no trailer. Not to mention another shop owner snapped at me- I'm a little uneducated when it comes to understanding that BUSY- meant that they were NOT going to accept the request. I thought it meant that they were not going to be able to do it as fast as they normally would- stupid me).

Anyhow, because I have failed to find a trailer maker, I will updating next chapter with a tiny preview, which you guys can anticipate being very soon- it won't be much, but it'll be enough (I think). Sorry for the late update and enjoy!