Homemade Juk

Arranged Marriage To.....

A/N: PLEASE READ!! I will be starting a new story soon and I want to give the Arranged Marriage Readers, whether they're active readers or silent, subscribed or not to choose the MAIN MALE character of the new story I will be starting soon, but not yet. This Main male character will of course, be from U-Kiss. But of course, I can't make everyone's choice the main character, so it'll be like a contest. For more information, read this chapter and then the author's note at the bottom! 

*Eun Joo's Pov*

The sunlight peeked through the white curtains of the room and touched my face as I woke up. I tossed a glance at the clock on the living room wall to see it was missing. I sat up quickly, realizing that I wasn't in the living room, but in the bedroom. To be specific, Dong Ho's bedroom. I tossed a look at the clock on the bedside table.

7:43.

No wonder why I had slept for four hours straight. If I was alseep here, where did Dong Ho sleep? And was he the one who carried me here? Or do I sleep walk?

I headed downstairs to see Dong Ho sitting at the dining room table with a laptop on his lap as he drank a cup of milk.

"Good morning, Dong Ho." I said quietly. Dong Ho looked up for a split second and turned back to the screen.

"Morning."

"Don't you have work today? Do you want me to make you breakfast?" I asked, moving into the kitchen.

"Just take care of yourself." Dong Ho answered as I moved to the sink to wash my hands.

"Oh... did you cook something earlier?" There was a pot and a spoon left in the sink and the kitchen looked a bit messy. Dong Ho looked up for a brief second and rushed past me, immediately washing the dishes. "I could wash these dishes myself."

"Just go... do something else! I have this under control." Dong Ho looked a bit frantic as he cleaned the kitchen. Following his orders, I washed up and changed into a royal blue dress that stopped just at my knees and was sleeveless as the doorbell rang. I pulled a formal white jacket out with sleeves that stopped at my elbow so that it could my - well, in my grandfather's eyes, disgustingly skinny arms as I recalled from the meeting when he picked me up from the competition. I didn't take long to change and headed downstairs to greet our guest.

*Someone's Pov*

"Don't tell her okay?" Dong Ho quickly whispered to me as Eun Joo made her way down the stairs.

"And thanks for waking me up at six." I replied sarcastically as Dong Ho glared at me. Even though he was the youngest and had ought to respect me, he always managed to drive me to the ground level, treating me like an annoying kid. Though I do resemble one at times.

"Eun Joo, did you eat breakfast yet?" Eun Joo smiled at my presence and shook her head.

"Not yet. What brings you here?" Eun Joo asked. Man, she was beautiful. But also awfully skinny. No wonder why even- well, it's better to keep his name unknown for now, since it's still a secret. But even he was concerned.

"Nothing much. Since you're not feeling well, I thought you might want some homemade juk." I sent a smirk to Dong Ho who looked up momentarily, pretending or should I say acting as if he wasn't even the slightest bit interested. "It's really homemade. And knowing Dong Ho wouldn't have the guts to make it and give it to you, here I am." I emphasized 'homemade' and 'give' on purpose, causing Dong Ho's glare to intesify even more.

"Thank you, but I do believe I can make juk for myself." Eun Joo let out a weak laugh as it was cut short by his coughing. "By the way, I'm not too sick. It's just a little cold."

"No, it's not! Would a minor cold have landed you in the hospital?!" Eun Joo seemed to tense up as I spoke in a loud voice, making sure Dong Ho could hear what I was saying. "Anyways, you should eat this juk before it gets cold. You wouldn't want my effort to be wasted, would you?" I couldn't help but smile as I saw Dong Ho flinch in anger as I said 'my effort'.

"Maybe later. I'm not that hungry right now. I know how to reheat the juk." Eun Joo answered, looking a bit too tense.

"You need to get your strength back." I answered firmly. Even though my job here was to make Dong Ho jealous, I have to admit I did truly care for Eun Joo. I tugged her arm a bit and dragged her to the dining room table. Dong Ho coughed and followed us to the dining room table, sitting across from Eun Joo and next to me.

"Hyung, for today's interview, there's a talent section. What talent have you prepared?" Dong Ho asked. The moment he sat down next to me, I could feel his eyes resting on Eun Joo and watching over her carefully as he asked me the question.

"It's a secret." I teased and looked at him. He was still watching Eun Joo who had her eyes glued to the container of juk. "When you ask someone a question, shouldn't you be looking at them? Why are you looking at-".

Dong Ho quickly slapped his hand over my mouth before I could finish my sentence and my lips curled into a smile. He glared at me a bit longer before turning away and focusing on his laptop again.

I found a spoon and scooped a spoonful of juk out of the container, handing it to Eun Joo. 

"Thank you." Eun Joo said as she took the spoon, hesitating to eat it.

"He's not that bad of cook. Just eat it." Dong Ho rolled his eyes, showing a bit of frustration on his face as it was a mask. Behind that mask of his, I could see how worried he was.

Eun Joo slowly brought the spoon up to and that's when I saw something flicker in her eyes. She was lost in her thoughts.

Fear. Fear was the thing stopping her from eating it. Her heart and body couldn't accept the food. That's why she doesn't want to eat it. She was afraid of eating it and then- well the consequences were clear. Forcing food down wasn't going to change anything. It was equivalent to not eating anything. She needed the food that her heart and body would accept.

"Just one bite. That's all I'm asking." I spoke softly, trying to coax her into eating just one spoonful. Dong Ho was evidently worried and I knew that he had seen the same thing in her eyes as I did.

"Hyung, just leave her alone. Skipping one more meal won't make a difference." I felt my anger arise. Was he really giving up this easily?! What happened to the determined and stubborn maknae? What happened to the maknae who pretended he didn't care but in truth actually always cared? There was obviously some pain in his voice and honestly... these two people were idiots.

"Eun Joo, be nice. Please. Just one spoonful." I begged. I wasn't going to allow this. I wasn't going to allow Dong Ho to give up so soon. He needed to see how serious this was.

Eun Joo waited for a bit longer before taking in the spoonful of juk. As she swallowed, I saw the struggle she had. She stood up quickly and rushed into the bathroom as Dong Ho stood up immediately and followed her, wordlessly.

"Eun Joo, are you okay?" I asked, knowing the answer. Dong Ho twisted the door knob, trying to get into the bathroom, but Eun Joo had locked it. He resorted to banging on the door and I took his hand stopped him from disturbing Eun Joo.

"I'm-I'm fine." Eun Joo answered in between breaths. She was throwing up. I knew it. Her body was rejecting the food and so was her heart.

"Dong Ho, look at her. This is serious. She's sick and I can't help her. Only you can, so do something." I said quietly, while yanking him to the corner of the living room. Dong Ho looked frustrated and dead. "You... you understand that Eun Joo isn't a doll, but a real human. So why are you treating her like one? You have to take account for her feelings. Yes, it may not seem like she has feelings, but in reality all living things have feelings right? Even plants. They know what they like, what they want. If they want food, they lean towards the sun. Eun Joo, she wants to lean towards the sun, but she won't allow herself to. Not until the other plants get their food first."

"Do you honestly think that I don't know that?" Dong Ho managed to choke out. His shoulders slumped down as he looked out the living room window. He leaned against the wall and placed his hands in his pockets.

"Dong Ho, as much as you didn't want to get married, did you ever think that Eun Joo didn't want this marriage either?" I asked. "Did you ever stop to think about what she would gain from this? Nothing. I feel like Eun Joo's about to break down. That's why I'm talking to you right now. I don't want you both to hurt each other."

"What can I do?" Dong Ho choked out. He looked at the wooden floors and leaned against the daisy yellow walls of the house. "I can't do anything. I can't help her. Who am I to help? I know." Dong Ho took a deep breath.

"I'm her husband. I know that. I'm her husband legally. In the KissMes' eyes, I'm a husband that loves her a lot. A husband that knows every single detail about her." Dong Ho avoided all eye contact. "In reality... in reality, I know nothing about her. We're- We're... just strangers."

"Dong Ho, that's not it!" I protested, shaking him a bit. Everything seemed so depressing these days. "Her parents... you met them. Would a stranger let you meet their parents? What about Eun Joo? Do you really think she'd see as a stranger? She could really see you as a husband."

"I like the word 'could'. It doesn't mean it's a fact." Dong Ho chuckled as he continued to look at the ground. "Maybe she does see me as a husband, but she only sees me as her husband legally. Not by heart, but by paper. Nothing can change that. You're right. She probably didn't want this marriage as much as I did. But it's too late."

"Yes, something can change this! If you were nice to her from the start, none of you would be living the hell you're living in for sure! She wouldn't be like this right now. And you- you wouldn't be like this either!" I pushed him flat against the wall and he looked up at me. "Dong Ho, I know you aren't like this all the time. You give us a hard time sometimes but you're giving Eun Joo a harder time. It's just around Eun Joo. Why the hell are you treating her like this?!"

______________________________________________________________________________________________

*Author's Pov*

Dong Ho stood in front of condo 19 E. He bit his lip, stepping forward and letting his finger hover around the doorbell for a bit before sighing and dropping his hand to his side. He stepped back and let out a frustrated breath and ruffled his hair as he looked at the door.

"Whatever." He muttered as he headed towards the elevator. Halfway to the elevator, Dong Ho turned around and stared at the door, looking back and forth. At the elevator, then the door, then the elevator. He was torn.

"Aish!" Dong Ho muttered as he kicked a wall and immediately jumped from a response on the other side of the wall.

"Some people are trying to enjoy their brunch here!" A grumpy voice called out as Dong Ho apologized to what seemed like a wall. He hadn't even entered the condo yet and something bad already happened. He sighed and pressed the elevator button and waited patiently for the elevator to come. 

When the elevator came, a lady in her 70s came out, holding a bag of what seemed to be groceries.

"Oh, aren't you Eun Joo's husband, Dong Ho?" The lady gave him a smile as Dong Ho failed to recognize her. "You probably don't know me, but I'm the Song's housekeeper."

"Oh..." Dong Ho nodded, making sense of it.

"Did you come to visit her grandfather?" The lady asked, walking past him and opening the door. "He's not going to be home for a while. He's attending a concert."

The first thing Dong Ho thought of when she had said concert was a U-Kiss concert. Something like that. Or an Infinte concert or a pop concert. But it was too ridiculous to even think about it with Eun Joo's grandfather. It was a classical concert of course.

"Oh... okay. I'll be going then." Dong Ho said politely as the lady stopped him.

"I just made a cake. Have some before you go." Dong Ho hesitated to enter, but found himself too weak to reject the offer. He soon found himself seated at the dining room table with the lady, eating the cake.

"My name is Chorim. Seo Chorim, but I would rather be called Chorim than Miss or Ajumma." Chorim said as she placed a slicke of Green Tea cake in front of Dong Ho.

"Green Tea cake?" Dong Ho looked at the green slice of cake doubtfully.

"Yes, it was Eun Joo's favorite." Chorim murmured.

"It... It was her favorite?" Dong Ho raised an eyebrow, growing more interested in the conversation.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

*Someone's Pov*

I flopped down on my bed as soon as Dong Ho took Eun Joo from my hands and closed my eyes.

"Why are you treating her like this?!"

I shook my head and sat up on my bed. I headed to my desk and grabbed my phone off the table when I saw the blue pouch containing the ring Eun Joo had dropped. I'll have to return it to her somehow.

My eyes travelled to the silver bracelet next to the blue pouch and I let a smile run across my face for the first time in a while now.

Grabbing the bracelet and retreating to my bed, I fell asleep remember Dong Ho's answer. The answer that I would've never thought he would say.

His blank face. His water filled eyes. The shame he was hiding behind the cool mask he wore.

 

 

"I treat her like this because I feel like I'm- I'm....."

 

 

 

"... not good enough for her."

 

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

*Another chapter done! Yay. I meant to post this earlier, but I got a little distracted. Sorry! Please do consider entering the contest.

ABOUT THE CONTEST:

CONTEST: Who is the 'Someone' in the story?

Now I know that I have asked this question many times. But each of you have different inputs on who the Someone is and I'm curious to know why. 

HOW TO WIN THE CONTEST: Message me your guess on who the Someone is! Don't forget to include an explantation to why you think that person is Someone, since there will be multiple people guessing the same person. The person with the correct answer and best explanation will win. So try your best! 

PRIZE: As I have mentioned before, the prize is getting to choose the next main male character (from U-Kiss) in my new story. I can tell you, the person you pick as the main will be very important as this person will be in at least TWO stories. That's right, I'm planning on writing a sequel for it already. At most, he'll be in three.

You may choose your U-Kiss bias or a U-Kiss member that you would love to have more stories on! Jun will be off-limits because I already have a role for him in the story. A set role and a pretty important one to welcome the new member. Please do not hesitate to join this contest.

CONTEST ENDS: The contest will end on June 8th. A bit over two weeks from now. Remember, JUNE 8TH. It would be a bit sad if you messaged me your answer a day later and it was correct.

A bit of a spoiler for the next chapter for those who read this to the end is that it will be much happier next chapter and that Someone will meet the nurse and maybe or might not return her bracelet. (Not sure yet, since I stopped drafting there.) But it will be much happier! :D Enjoy~