Spicy Rice Cakes

Arranged Marriage To.....

Dong Ho was dead tired by 2 a.m. and that was the time they had finished recording three songs for their album. They had to finish the recording the very next day. Dong Ho got home at 2:30 a.m. to see Eun Joo asleep on the sofa again with her phone in her hand, listening to 0330 again.

 

What is she thinking about this time? Though he was tired, he carefully picked her up and brought her upstairs to the bedroom and tucked her into bed like she had done so for him so many times. Troubled with all the possible things Eun Joo could be thinking of, he pushed them away and went to bed.

 

The next day, Dong Ho had to wake up early to return to the recording studio and finish up the recording of the album, leaving without breakfast. Home alone again and with nothing better to do since it was the weekend, Eun Joo picked up her violin, before putting it down in frustration one minute later. She looked through her violin pieces, shuffling through them quickly. All of them had seemed so boring to her. It was always the same classical songs she played. She had never realized that she had no interest in any of those pieces and she put the pieces away. She hadn't touched her violin in a long time already. Sighing, she picked up her violin again, lazying around, not sure of what song to play.

 

Looking at her phone, she remembered the song Dong Ho had sang for her that night when her mind was filled with thoughts about her parents. She was tempted to play the melody, but stopped herself. If I'm going to be playing that kind of song, I might as well not practice at all! What would grandfather say about me if he knew I was playing something like that on the violin?

 

Putting her violin away, she was left to sigh. Heading downstairs to the kitchen to get a cup of water, she saw the plate with Dong Ho's breakfast cold and untouched, remembering how he had skipped breakfast that morning.

 

I have nothing better to do anyways. Why don't I make them lunch again?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Eun Joo arrived at the building two hours later, 1 hour and a half spent making their lunch boxes and another half an hour to head over NH Media's building. She made it into the recording studio as Kevin was finishing up the song with his singing parts. The rest of them were lying on the sofa outside the recording studio tired and hungry. Soohyun and AJ were sitting at the computers, editing the song as Kevin finished recording and as Eun Joo came in.

 

"Oh! Eun Joo!" Hoon sat up on the sofa, greeting her, causing Dong Ho to sit up in surprise. AJ turned his head a bit to see Eun Joo smiling at Hoon. "What brings you here?"

 

"I had nothing to do at home and I figured all of you might be hungry from working, so I made all of you lunchboxes." Eun Joo replied, holding up the large paper bag with the lunch boxes in it. Eli jumped off the sofa and took the paper bag from Eun Joo.

 

"Thanks!" He took it and took out all the lunch boxes, passing them around to each person of the group. As Dong Ho got his, he looked around at the other members.

 

"Hey, don't you think these lunch boxes look like the one AJ's mother has?" Dong Ho blurted out. Kiseop almost choked on the rice when he heard that, nearly laughing.

 

"These lunch boxes are so common in Korea. That's why they're just like my mother's." AJ replied quickly for Eun Joo. Soohyun shook his head in discontent as Eli and Kiseop looked at AJ bewildered that he didn't just tell the truth about who was making the lunch boxes. Eun Joo just gave Dong Ho her usual smile and waited as they finished up their lunch. Once they finished up their lunch, Kevin spoke up.

 

"Hey, I heard there's a fair somewhere around here. Do you guys want to go?" Kevin asked. When nobody responded, Kevin started to use agyeo. "Come on guys, please? Pretty please?"

 

"Fine," Soohyun replied, yawning. "Only for a bit. I want to go home and rest."

 

"But I'm tired." Kiseop pouted.

 

"It's only for a while." Hoon responded. Kiseop held onto the sofa as they started to drag him out of the room. "Eun Joo, you can come back later and get your lunch boxes. Let's go to the fair first."

 

"Oh, okay."

 

Once they got to the fair, they bumped into Hye Ri. "Hey guys!" Hye Ri said happily. "I see you guys came to the fair today, anyone want to go and check out the games?"

 

"I didn't want to come, but they forced me to!" Kiseop complained. Hye Ri took his arm, pulling him away from the others.

 

"Come on Kiseop. Fairs aren't that bad. It'll be good to have fun some time! I'll get you some food later." Hye Ri said, trying to cheer Kiseop up as Kevin diverted her attention, by linking his arm with hers.

 

The group was split up into tiny groups in which Eli and Soohyun were distracted by the food stands nearby. AJ wanted to communicate with Eun Joo somehow and without any tension since it's been a month since they've been able to speak to each other comfortably. With her camera in her hands, Dong Ho sighed, shaking his head at the other members because of their childish behavior. As AJ approached Eun Joo, Hoon popped out of nowhere and pulled AJ away.

 

"Hey, they have some really good music over there. Let's go check it out!" Hoon dragged AJ away from Dong Ho and Eun Joo, leaving them to look puzzled. Seeing that the rest of the group was busy doing their own things, Dong Ho headed off, having Eun Joo follow him slowly.

 

"Walk faster would you?" Dong Ho asked rolling his eyes. Eun Joo sped up a bit and followed him. Even more annoyed that she was right behind him and hadn't bothered to speed up just that tiny bit to catch up with him, he grabbed her hand, pulling her next to him. As they walked side by side,looking around, Eun Joo let go of his hand to take pictures.As she stopped to take pictures, Dong Ho turned to see what the tents around them had to offer. He saw and smelled something that caught his attention. Leaving Eun Joo's side for a moment, he went to the tent to get some.

 

He came back a few minutes later to see Eun Joo looking through the pictures she had taken. Tapping her on her shoulder, she turned around.

 

"Hmm?" Eun Joo saw the take out box in Dong Ho's hand. "Oh, when did you get this?" Dong Ho handed her the take out box as Eun Joo accepted it.

 

Ignoring her question he handed her a plastic fork. "Try it." Eun Joo opened the take out box to see rice cakes that seemed to be covered in spicy sauce.

 

"Try it? It looks like it's really spicy. I can't handle spicy things." Eun Joo said, her voice wavering a bit.

 

"Have you ever tried this before?" Eun Joo shook her head. "Exactly, you should try this. You know, people say you can't judge a book by it's cover right?" Dong Ho knew that his acting skills were beyond perfect right now and he knew that Eun Joo would fall for it. Slowly eating a rice cake, Eun Joo found herself nearly wanting to spit it out. She had sensed something was wrong earlier when Dong Ho told her it wouldn't be spicy, but the way he looked. She found it impossible that he would be lying to her. Her eyes were brimmed with tears from the spiciness and her tongue was burning up. Her face was growing hot as she forced herself to swallow it, remembering rule number 103. Never waste food.

 

She turned to Dong Ho, whose face was turning red from laughter as he watched her struggle to swallow the spicy rice cake. "Here." Dong Ho said between his laughter as he handed her the water bottle he had bought with the spicy rice cakes. Eun Joo had quickly finished half of the bottle, before having her tongue cool off. "Your reaction was priceless. What kind of Korean can't handle a little spiciness?"

 

"It wasn't just a little." Eun Joo shot back. "It was extremely spicy."

 

"Tch, weird girl can't take the heat." Dong Ho teased.

 

"Why don't you try it then? It's useless for me to explain how spicy it is to you anyways." Eun Joo suggested.

 

"Sure, I'm not afraid of a little spicy rice cake like you are." Dong Ho took another fork and ate a rice cake. As he chewed it, he realized how unbearably spicy it was getting and spit it out onto the street, coughing a bit. As he coughed, he felt Eun Joo patting him on his back, comforting him in contrast of what he had done to her.

 

"I'll go get you a bottle of water." Eun Joo suggested. She turned to find a store to buy a bottle of water in, but Dong Ho grabbed her hand, making her turn around it surprise. When she turned around, Dong Ho spotted her bottle of water and took it, finishing the other half of the water bottle.\

 

"The rice cakes are really no joke." Dong Ho said, throwing the bottle and the rice cakes away.

 

"I drank from that bottle of water, you know." Eun Joo said with a worried expression.

 

"I'm not going to get pregnant from that and yes I know. What's the big deal. Everyone around us does that. You're just... the weird one." Dong Ho said, shaking his head at her. They continued to walk around the fair until they came across a photo booth.

 

"What is this?" Eun Joo asked.

 

"You'll see."

 

 

 

 

*I'm really sorry that this chapter wasn't interesting, but I'm not really motivated these days :( But next week, I'll try to make it more interesting.*