Chapter 14: Kimchi Soup

Arranged Marriage To.....

*Dong Ho's POV*

Hye Sung hasn't talked to me ever since the bracelet thing. I can't help but worry that I did something stupid and foolish. I've just come back from the overseas concerts and promotions but Hye Sung has made no effort to contact me and in fact, seems to be avoiding me since, she hasn't picked up any of my calls.

"Welcome home." Eun Joo said as she got up from the sofa and hurried towards me. I don't say anything since I'm still too worried about Hye Sung. "I'll help you unpack." She reached for my suitcase as I decide to pull her into a hug. Seriously, I was getting a little too worried about Hye Sung, but I can't help it. I just need someone to comfort me at a time like this. What did I do wrong? No one else would know better than a girl right? I mean Eun Joo does have a few quirks. Such as not being a normal Korean.

"Are you okay?" Eun Joo asked, bringing me back to Earth.

"No. The person I like is avoiding me." I murmured. "What would you do if someone was avoiding you?"

"Well, whenever my grandfather was too busy to pay any attention to me, I tried my best to please him." Eun Joo replied thoughtfully.

"That's all?"

"I would also make his favorite dish and after that, we would talk for a bit." Eun Joo continued. It wasn't a bad idea but...

What is Hye Sung's favorite dish? Ah! Kimchi soup! But I don't know how to make it and neither does my mom. Her kimchi soup isn't even spicy... Maybe Eun Joo knows how to make it!

Letting go of Eun Joo, I looked her straight in the eyes. "Do you know how to make Kimchi soup?"

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Narrator's POV*

"We don't have all the necessary ingrredients to cook it, so first we have to start off in the supermarket." Eun Joo started. "We need chili powder, mushrooms, and soft tofu." They headed off in search for chili powder as an ajumma waved Eun Joo over.

"Ah, it's you again!" The ajumma clasped her hands together happily. "How are you doing today?"

"Well. What about you?" Eun Joo asked, as Dong Ho approached them.

"Good!" The ajumma replied. "And who is this young man?" Eun Joo hesitated to answer, unsure of what she should say knowing that if she had told her, he was her husband, Dong Ho would probably get mad and if she didn't it would be lying.

"I'm her husband." Dong Ho replied for Eun Joo seeing that she was hesitating for so long.

"Omo, you two are really young to be a married couple. I guess nowadays, it's a trend for young people to get married right?" The ajumma continued to speak. "What happened to your other boyfriend?"

"Oh, we weren't actually dating. He was just a friend that came to get some groceries with me." Eun Joo replied, starting to feel uncomfortable.

"What a shame. I thought the both of you looked good for each other. I can tell that that young man could've made you very happy. He seems like the type that would treat the girl he loves as a princess. But I can tell for sure at least, that your husband is a very lucky man." The ajumma continued to blabber on, as Dong Ho started to feel frustrated. Didn't she realize how uncomfortable Eun Joo is getting? And to speak of this in front of her husband. This woman has no shame! "Ah, right. The fish today, are nice and fat. And even better, they're on sale! I think you might want to check it out."

"Ahem, chili powder." Dong Ho reminded Eun Joo, before Eun Joo could say anything else to the ajumma. The ajumma said a short goodbye as Eun Joo did the same and they were off to find the chili powder.

"You came here with AJ didn't you?" Dong Ho asked though he could already guess the answer.

"Yes, it was the time when we had pasta for dinner. AJ kindly drove me here and helped me get the ingredients. Not to mention he helped me carry them into our house." Eun Joo replied, looking through shelves of chili powder to find the brand she had normally used.

"Do you know the ajumma?" Dong Ho asked Eun Joo.

"You can say that. Everytime I come here to get groceries, we do talk a little bit every time." Eun Joo replied.

Eh, I doubt that they had really looked good together. She's getting old and her eyesight is getting worst anyways. By the way, who is she to judge? I mean look at her, I have clearer skin that her and no wrinkles. Yeah, she's old. Dong Ho thought. He didn't find a paricular liking towards the ajumma.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*At home*

"So we put some cold water in this pot and we use cold water because truthfully, cold tap water is cleaner than warm tap water." Eun Joo explained. "Now we put it over the stove and wait till the water starts to boil. While we wait we have to wash the mushrooms. I'll wash a few to show you and then you do the rest okay?" Dong Ho nodded and watched as Eun Joo washed a few mushrooms, as he went to try it, breaking a few. Despite that, Eun Joo slwoly showed him again and patiently taught him how to wash the mushrooms properly.

"Now put in the mushroom." Eun Joo said. With her hand close to the boiling hot water, she dropped the mushrooms in to slowly, so the hot water won't splash everywhere. Dong Ho followed her examples\

After the long two hours they had spent making the kimchi soup, due to the fact that Dong Ho was a fast learner at one point and a slow learner at another, they sat in the dining room with a side dish, (kimchi), a bowl of rice, and of course, the kimchi soup. 

"I don't think I can remember all the ingredients for it and I can't even remember how long to boil it, since you kept turning off the stove. Do you think you can write it down on paper?"

"The only reason why I kept turning off the stove was because you were too slow." Eun Joo replied. "I could write down on paper if you want."

"What else do you know how to make?" Dong Ho was curious as to how many dishes she could make.

"A better question would be, what I don't know how to make." Eun Joo said, after swallowing what was in . She had felt so guilty. Rule number 67, it's rude to talk during a meal. Wait until the meal is finished before talking. 

"That must mean you know how make a lot then." Dong Ho said.

"Of course. My grandfather believes that in order for me to be a good wife, I would have to be a good cook first." Eun Joo replied. "And it was a waste of time to be staying at home with nothing better to do. So other than going to school and playing the violin, I learned how to cook."

"Well, I guess you could've gone out to the park with some friends." Dong Ho took a spoonful of soup and blew at it. He had to admit, this soup was good. 

"If only grandfather had let me have one of those things." Eun Joo replied, thoughtlessly.

"What do you mean?"

"My grandfather had believed that parks were filled with germs and dangerous people. I've also never been close to anyone before until I married you. That's when he decided to stop the body guards from following me and protecting me." Eun Joo replied. 

"Tch, locking you at home at equally as many germs as the park. It wouldn't matter if you did go to the park or not. And Seoul isn't that dangerous." Dong Ho said, laughing to himself about Eun Joo's grandfather. He could help it but think about how weird her grandfather was.

"Anyhow, I've gotten used to it."

"Why didn't your parents do something about it?" Dong Ho asked. If his grandfather had done that to him, his mother would've surely beaten his grandfather.

Eun Joo stopped eating for a moment. "It was because, they couldn't do anything about it. Even if they knew about it, they couldn't do anything about it."

 

 

*Guys, another chapter done! Yay! And U-Kiss's 5th year anniversary is tomorrow!! All over the world, KissMes are trying to get their MV Neverland more views! We all hope to get their music video ten million views! So please check it out, even if you are not a fan of U-Kiss. It's really important to them!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dF0Y7deb0 Click the link to check it out!*