Regrets/ Break Down

Arranged Marriage To.....

With a light smile, Eun Joo pulled a pastel yellow dress on and fixed her hair before grabbing her violin case. Today she was entering in another competition and unlike the last one, she hoped to home first place or at least- become ranked as one of the top three. It wasn’t necessarily for the title, but for her grandfather and possibly even Dong Ho. She already knew of Dong Ho’s busy schedule today, but his heartfelt words told her that he would be there for her emotionally rather than physically.

With that in mind, Eun Joo hurried out of the house and hailed a taxi, unable to stand the hot and sunny weather the 29th of June presented her with. Sitting in the taxi and instructing the driver where to go, she caught sight of herself in the reflection of the car window. It was fade, but she could see enough to know that she was content with the life she had. Though she wasn’t really in favor of the arranged marriage, it had really changed her. New friends and learning more important things in life.

Overall, she was seemingly happy to stand where she stood now. If she was single and her grandfather pushed her to have an arranged marriage with someone she didn’t know, she’d argue. This was something that had changed about her. She had realized that she was in a way, selfish for choosing to get married with Dong Ho. What if she and Dong Ho didn’t fall in love? What if they didn’t get a happy ending like the fairy tales did? She would’ve been selfish for not bothering to care about the other person involved. It wasn’t like they would get married because the both of them had the choice to. Either way, Dong Ho and Eun Joo were happy for now. At least, she thought so.

Hopping out of the taxi and paying the driver, she hurried into the concert hall to check in and get her number to pin onto her dress. Her grandfather was on his way there and as she waited for him patiently as she had arrived an hour early, she received a call.

“I just wanted to wish you luck.” A smile graced her lips as she stared down at her white flats.

“Thank you, AJ.” Her voice was soft and light, it was evident that she was happy and nervous all at the same time.

“Do you have any plans tonight?” It wasn’t that AJ was asking her out. The both of them had established that they were nothing more than friends, though Eun Joo didn’t understand how much it had hurt AJ.

“I was thinking of having dinner with Dong Ho. Who could forget? It’s his birthday today.” She leaned against the window and stared ahead, the smile still on her lips. She could hear a bit of hesitation from AJ and decided to dismiss it. He was probably in the middle of composition for the next U-Kiss song.

“Right, Eun Joo-,” AJ was cut off when Eun Joo saw her grandfather entering the concert hall and she interrupted him.

“AJ, I see my grandfather. I’ll have to call you back later.” She heard a few beeps from her phone and noticed the red blinking light on it. “Ah- my phone has run out of battery. I should’ve brought an extra battery out.” She sighed exasperated as AJ tried to speak. “I’ll talk to you later, okay?” Her grandfather spotted her and she quickly clicked the red button, ending the call and headed over to her grandfather.

“Grandfather,” she breathed as she approached him. A small smile crossed her face and her grandfather seemed to be taken aback by her smile.

“Eun Joo.” Her grandfather responded without much of an eye contact. “This time around, I hope you’ve gotten yourself together.”

“I have. I’ve been practicing as usual, grandfather.” Eun Joo beamed. “I’ll do my absolute best.” Her grandfather wasn’t used to his cheery granddaughter, but he could definitely get used to this.

“Alright.” He cleared his throat. “What are you doing? You should be getting ready to play, right?” Eun Joo nodded and grabbed her violin case before heading off to the rooms backstage.

“I’ll see you later, grandfather!”

 

 

 

It was late by the time the competition had ended. Eun Joo kept stealing glances at her grandfather who had been walking on the streets next to her silent as they headed to his car. In her left hand, she held onto her violin case. In her right hand, she held onto a delicate glass trophy engraved with the words, ‘First Place’. Breathing out and holding the trophy up, she took a look at it, holding up high and speaking with a louder voice than usual.

“Grandfather, aren’t you proud that I won first place this time? Look at how beautiful this trophy is!” She wasn’t trying to gloat or anything, but she was trying to get a reaction from her grandfather who was awfully silent. Still without a response from him, her back slumped down a bit and she stared at the trophy and let out an inaudible sigh.

“First place is something you should be getting.” Her grandfather responded and though his voice was scratchy and rough, Eun Joo didn’t miss the smile that wanted to form on his lips. Happily accepting the response, they arrived at the car and she opened the door for her grandfather.

“I’m having dinner with Dong Ho today. It’s almost six and the restaurant is around here. I’m walking over there, so be careful on your way home!” Eun Joo stood on the sidewalk and waved her grandfather off as she watched the car pull away and then turned in the direction of the restaurant.

 

 

Dong Ho was sitting in a taxi, pushing his sunglasses up. It was rather suspicious, but the taxi driver dismissed Dong Ho’s choice of wearing sunglasses during the night. After all, the driver could never keep up with the crazy trends these days. His phone buzzed and he looked down to see that he had received a message. Opening the message, he read it.

Dong Ho, where are you? I’m at the dance studio. I need to talk to you. Come quick!

“Hye Sung...” He whispered as he read the text. Thinking that it was an emergency, he instructed the driver to turn back and bit his lips nervously, hoping for the best.

 

 

“Alright, I’m on my way. Just wait a bit, sheesh. You would think I deserve a bit of respect after all, I am composing a song for our next comeback, but no.” AJ complained as Soohyun urged him to stop by the dance studio for the millionth time. “I’ll see you there soon.”

Grabbing a thin sweater and his car keys, he headed out.

 

 

“What a poor girl. She’s been sitting there alone for nearly a hour.” A waitress whispered to another as they looked in her way. She disliked- no, possibly even hated being called a ‘poor girl’. It was the same words the nurses had used to describe her after she landed herself in the hospital after the death of her mother. Apparently losing one parent wasn’t enough and God had decided to take her mother away.

Shifting uncomfortably in her seat, she stared at her dead phone and then turned to look out the window, biting her lips. After a while a waitress approached her.

“Miss, are you going to order anything? If not, I’m afraid I’ll have to ask you to leave.” The waitress seemed to sympathizing Eun Joo and Eun Joo didn’t like it. Instead, she shook her hand smiled.

“I’m sorry for disrupting your business. It seems as though my date isn’t here. I’ll be leaving then.” Getting up and heading out the door with her violin, she was stopped by the waitress.

“Miss, you almost forgot about this!” The waitress scurried into the kitchen and brought out the cake Eun Joo had baked for Dong Ho to celebrate his birthday. The one she had made at the shop. Giving the waitress a grateful smile, Eun Joo left the restaurant, disappointed.

Making it out onto the streets, she heard a car honking and turned to look. Realizing that the car had looked familiar, she recognized the person once they rolled down the window.

“AJ.” She breathed out and smiled at him. “What are you doing here?”

“I was heading over to the dance studio. What about you? Aren’t you going there a bit too late?” AJ asked as he opened the car door and motioned for Eun Joo to come in. “I’ll drive you there. They’ve probably already surprised him.”

“Late?” Eun Joo echoed as she raised an eyebrow, taking a seat in the car. AJ started to move the car again and turned to look at her briefly.

“Didn’t you read my text?” He questioned. “Or did Dong Ho text you at the very least?”

“What are you talking about? My phone’s dead.” Eun Joo continued, trying to wrap her head around what AJ was saying. “Do you have a charger or a battery here?” AJ pointed at a compartment in the front of the passenger’s side of the car and Eun Joo took the charger and charged her phone.

“We’re having a surprise birthday party for Dong Ho. I got a call from them while I was driving, it seem as though I’ve missed the cake cutting.” Eun Joo was surprised and forced herself to think of happy thoughts. Maybe Dong Ho had texted her last minute and told her to come over. Upon seeing that her phone had three percent battery now and was alive, she went through the text messages to see absolutely nothing from him and just a text from AJ. “I’m probably an hour late by now.” AJ sighs.

“He was a hour late and I was waiting for him.” Eun Joo whispered and AJ turned to look at her. “I was waiting for him.”

 

 

The party was larger than anybody had anticipated it to be. Aside from the usual U-Kiss members and the managers, there were a few relatives and friends of the members, including Dong Ho’s. Dong Ho was seated by Hye Sung, drinking a tiny cup of alcohol. The managers didn’t allow the idols themselves to have too much alcohol. It was Dong Ho’s birthday and they certainly didn’t want any drunk U-Kiss members on the news the next day.

“You still haven’t told me why you left. It’s been a few days since you came back, but you still haven’t told me.” Dong Ho found himself curious and he noticed the nervous look on Hye Sung’s face.

“I was worried you know. I hadn’t thought this through but, Dong Ho, I’ve only been seeing you as a friend or even a brother. I- I heard from someone that it caused a rift in your relationship with Eun Joo- I’m just so sorry.” Hye Sung answered, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. “I’m sorry, but maybe it was because I was selfish. I understand I’ve probably hurt the both of you and I can’t express how sorry I am.” Hye Sung had her head tilted downwards and she looked genuinely sorry.

“Don’t say that. But in other words, you left because you felt bad over that?” Dong Ho questioned. He did have to admit that it did, in a way bring Eun Joo closer to him. Maybe he wasn’t so confused about his feelings anymore which was why.

“I shouldn’t have led you on like that to be honest.” She murmured. He could tell that she wasn’t feeling too well from the thought of ruining his relationship and he didn’t want her to think that way. Even without her in his life, his relationship with Eun Joo would’ve still started off as rocky. Taking her hand and comforting her, he smiled.

“Shin Dong Ho.” A stern voice was shot his way as he looked up to see AJ towering over him. With a confused look drawn on his face, he stood up and faced him. Placing the cup of punch he held in his hand aside, he found himself being dragged away by AJ.

“What’s up?” He questioned as AJ faced him.

“What do you mean what’s up? I knew there was something fishy with you. Do you know how much you’ve been neglecting Eun Joo lately?” AJ hissed, trying to keep the conversation for other ears as he spoke to Dong Ho.

Eun Joo. That’s right. Where was Eun Joo? It had finally dawned on him that he had forgotten about her and he looked around the room to see if he could spot her. Fortunately for him, he did. She was standing a few feet behind AJ and she looked at him, her eyes filled with disappointment.

“Hye Sung came back- I couldn’t just leave her hanging.” Dong Ho blurted out. He had bumped into Hye Sung as she was looking for inspiration on the streets of Seoul. “I didn’t mean to neglect her.”

“So it all leads back down to Hye Sung, huh?” AJ glowered at Dong Ho. “If she’s that important to you, I don’t see why you’re still with Eun Joo. Instead of wasting the both of your time, you should file for a divorce shouldn’t you? Nothing is holding you guys back anyways. It was just something to reassure your mother that you wouldn’t die alone.”

“Listen, AJ- I don’t know what you’re talking about, but I suggest laying off the alcohol. The manager hyungs gave us a fair warning that they don’t want to be dealing with us drunk. It’s my birthday today, so let’s spend it happily okay?” Dong Ho continued, trying to ease the tension and his eyes landed on Eun Joo again, who looked rather upset.

“I’m not going to be looking for trouble tonight because just like you said, it’s your birthday.” AJ loosened up and looked at Eun Joo, who hadn’t moved a single bit. “Talk to her tonight and prove that you really love her. She’s been disappointed so many times recently- I don’t think she can take it anymore.” With that AJ left to give the two of them space.

Dong Ho found himself moving towards Eun Joo, in which Eun Joo made no attempt to move. Standing in front of her, Dong Ho sent her a tired smile.

“I haven’t been the best recently. I acknowledge that, so let’s enjoy the party together.” Dong Ho suggested as Eun Joo’s lips were pressed into a thin line and she finally forced them to curve up.

“I- you enjoy the party yourself. I think I’m going to go home.” Taking a few steps back, she turned as Dong Ho tugged at her arms as her hands were full. One hand holding the box with the cake she had worked so hard to bake and the other with the trophy she wanted to show him, happily.

“But you just arrived. Don’t ruin my birthday.” Though Dong Ho hadn’t meant it in literal terms, it hit Eun Joo hard and she found it hard to collect herself. “Don’t disappoint me.” She broke at this sentence and pulled her arm from his grasp.

“ ‘Don’t disappoint me’?” She repeated. Those were the words she was supposed to say. Why was it coming from his mouth? What right did he have exactly? “I’ve been disappointed to many times lately, it’s only a matter of time that I become a disappointment myself.” She muttered as Dong Ho cocked his head to the side, concerned about her behavior.

“Ey, don’t dampen the mood in here. Come on, have some fun.” Dong Ho noticed how antsy Hye Sung looked as his uncle approached Hye Sung and spoke to her. Hye Sung didn’t feel exactly comfortable around his relatives, that being because his uncle knew very well that Hye Sung was Dong Ho’s little heart breaker back in the day. “Go drink some punch, I’ll be right back.”

Eun Joo watched as his eyes trailed over to Hye Sung and she looked down at her shoes bitterly as she decided to speak up.

“Hye Sung, huh?” Dong Ho stopped in the middle of his plan to walk over and excuse Hye Sung from his uncle. “You really like her that much?”

“Let’s drop this topic.” He stated, coldly. He hadn’t meant to sound so cold, but he didn’t see why Eun Joo had to bring the topic up. “Don’t get jealous.” Eun Joo stayed silent and plastered a small smile on her face.

“Alright. What should be talk about then?” Eun Joo asked as she gazed down at the glass trophy she held. Holding it up, she barely kept her smile going. “I won first at the competition.” Eun Joo seemed to blank out for a moment and seemed to turn back to the way she used to be.

“Listen, you’re late to the party and now you’re acting like that again. I don’t know what to do with you.” Dong Ho growled with frustration and Eun Joo was slightly taken aback by his words. Late to his party? More like he was late to their date, yet she hadn’t even pointed it out. She found herself at a loss of words as she mumbled the best thing she could.

“I’m sorry.” It irked Dong Ho so much. Had he really spent all this time with the same weak minded girl? He was slightly tipsy from the alcohol he had drank earlier had his patience was wearing off.

“Is that all you can say?” He questioned, his attitude changing completely from how he was moments ago, calm and collected. Perhaps it was because the thought of Eun Joo being jealous of Hye Sung was just so- unlike her. It was already establish that he was hers already. Heck, they were tied together legally.

“I don’t know what else I can say to you.” Eun Joo answered, finding it hard to conceal her emotions. There were so many thoughts bouncing around in her head and she couldn’t seem to grasp just one. Everyone around them was still seemingly partying, with the music volume turned up a notch as it was a girl group’s song and of course- the other members had a good time dancing to girl group music. “I’m the one always at fault here. You claim to be disappointed, but you have no idea how disappointed I am. I don’t what happened to us. We- seemed to be happy recently.”

“Us?” Dong Ho scoffs. The alcohol was definitely not doing any good. In fact, it made him feel worse, but he continued to speak. “Happy? Speak for yourself.”

The words hit Eun Joo and Eun Joo felt her grip tighten around the trophy. Had she really won first place today? Were the skies really clear today? Was it still not raining outside? Was she not even in her right mind?

“You know what? Ever since I met you, my relationships seem to have been all blown out of proportions.” Dong Ho stated. “AJ hyung hates me, Hye Sung doesn’t like me in that kind of sense, and my fans have decreased because of my relationship status.”

“What can I do?” Eun Joo questioned, her voice slightly trembling as she refused to face him. He was probably right. She had ruined his life. Once again, this brings her back to being selfish. She was just selfish, ruining his relationships with the thought her grandfather would be happy with this marriage. She was wrong to do so.

“Frankly, you can’t do anything. The damage has been done.” Dong Ho sneered as he continued. "Do you remember the question you asked me?”

Eun Joo stayed silent.

“Do I regret marrying you? Does that strike a memory?”

Silence responded.

“Well I have my answer.” In all honesty, the way he paused made Eun Joo nervous. She didn’t want to be that selfish person that ruined another person’s life.

“I do. I regret it so much. To the point where I can’t even describe it with words.” Dong Ho continued, making it more like a rant by now. Eun Joo’s heart shattered and hung her head down bitterly as Dong Ho failed to notice. “Sometimes I questioned and wondered how bad did I screw up in my past life, to actually deserve this. To be forced to love someone I obviously don’t. What have I done, to deserve a ruined life like this? A mess like this?” He was bitter about this. “You’re just a doll. I can’t even have a decent conversation with you and you’re a burden. Every morning I’m afraid to wake up and deal with someone who’s like you. Look at you, not even talking. I don’t even know if I’m talking to someone or an object.”

“I’m sorry.” Eun Joo said between her gritted teeth, trying to keep herself composed. “I made you a cake, share it with the others or not. It’s up to you.” She handed the cake towards him and he scoffed, taking the cafe from her before dropping it to the floor.

“Who knows what you put in this cake?” He has had only one cup of alcohol (a tiny one) and was already tipsy. It was soju after all and he wasn’t a fan of alcohol, thus leading him to be inexperienced with alcohol. “You could’ve poisoned it for all I know.”

Staying composed, Eun Joo picked the box up, knowing that the cake would’ve been damaged. With a thin smile, she gave him a polite bow.

“I’ll be going home first.” She turned and was about to walk away when Dong Ho sent a harsh tug on her wrist, pulling her back.

“I’m not done talking yet.” Their faces were a few inches apart and Dong Ho made eye contact with her. “Do you know how much I hate you?”

No. Frankly she did not know. She didn’t even know what hate was until she lived with him and discovered the unpleasant feeling he had harbored towards her. Even then she didn’t know how much he had hated her.

“A lot. Instead of giving me useless things like a crappy cake, you should give me something I actually want.” And to think she spent most of her time, heart, and soul into this cake. “Do you know what I want for my birthday?”

Was she given time to answer? A short amount, but either way she wasn’t going to answer. She didn’t know what he wanted.

“I want you to leave me alone.” That was one of the first few things he had told her when they moved in. “I want you gone. You’re just a burden to me.” Tears were stinging her eyes and she refused to let them flow. Pushing him away from her and dropping the glass trophy along with the cake in the process, they gained much attention from the people around them.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry, I’M SO SORRY.” Eun Joo repeated over and over again. “I’m so sorry for being a burden to you. I’m so sorry for not being your ideal type of girl. I’m sorry for ruining you life. I’m sorry for marrying you.” Eun Joo went down a whole list of apologies and paused as she calmed herself down. “But, has it ever once occurred to you that, maybe I didn’t want this marriage as well? That I was equally against this marriage?”

It was like a slap across Dong Ho’s face, but he refused to give in. If she was truly against this marriage, she should’ve done something. Should’ve shown that she was.

“Well,” Dong Ho started, but Eun Joo cut him off.

“Has it ever occurred to you that I have emotions too? That I can feel happy, angry, or sad and just because I don’t show it that it doesn’t necessarily mean that I don’t have any feelings?” Dong Ho was taken aback by her outburst and so were the people around them. “Do you know how disappointed I was when I waited for you each and every time and you would never show up? Do you know what a fool I was to believe that you would show up in the first place? Did it ever hit you that I too, deserve respect of some sort after being treated like an object all these years?”

The music was still blaring as nobody had dared to turn it off.

“I’m sorry, Dong Ho. You don’t deserve any of this from me.” By now, tears were rolling down her cheeks and her face was red from anger and her hands were cold from being nervous. It seemed as though all these emotions she had tried to keep in had broken free and were attacking her now. Her heart ached like it had during her mother’s funeral. The memories of all the pain she had suffered unknowingly from the past hit her and she broke down and feel to her knees, feeling weak. “But you know what, Dong Ho?” She whispered. “I am a burden.”

“I’ve caused you to suffer a lot. You know what? Fine.” She grabbed the box with the cake inside and the large part of the broken trophy. “I’ll give you the best birthday present ever.” Managing to scramble up and leave, she found herself running out of the room as Hoon quickly approached Dong Ho who reached for another shot glass and downed it.

“What are you doing, Dong Ho? Go after her!” Hoon urged him. Dong Ho shrugged this off.

“It’s my birthday party. She was ruining it, it’s better for her not to come back.” He said heartlessly. Hoon frowned at his behavior and pulled the shot glasses away from him, but Dong Ho went off and found more alcohol to distract himself with.

“Stop this, Dong Ho.”

“You stop it.” Dong Ho hissed obviously annoyed. “I’m not going after her. Period.”

 

 

 

She signed the papers. She put it back into the large envelope. She placed it on the table. She turned off the lights.

 

 

 

A/N: One of the longest chapters I've had for this story in a while! Wow. xD Please leave a comment- it really does serve as my motivation to finish this story, which should end in three or two more chapters unfortunately :( But hey, more stories to come! I can't read the beginning of this story without cringing -.-. Thank you guys for even giving this story a chance and reading past my horrible writing. :)