Chapter 5

Turning Point

"Amber, come here for a moment." 

Amber turned her head to the back to where her grandmother was and stood up reluctantly. "yes?" She dragged her word as she stopped beside the old lady who was reading through the newspaper. It was two days after Amber met Krystal and pulled her into the alley, they hadn't met since then. 

Granny Liu pulled her attention away from the article and smiled when she saw Amber. "Have a sit."

Amber could only comply and she pulled out the chair in a churlish manner that made Granny Liu chuckle. She knew that Amber was watching her favourite tv show but she called her for a talk. Amber being Amber, who always gave in to her grandmother could not complain. "Am, as you know, Krystal is going to have a DNA test next month."

"I know."

"I want you to be there as well-"

"I know."

"Because if the baby is really yours, you will have to bear the responsibility-"

"I know."

"Will you let me finish what I want to say first? I am sure you don't know everything." Granny Liu said in displease. 

Amber scratched her cheek in annoyance and huffed out irritably. "Grandma, you know it better than anyone that the baby can't be mine because I am a girl.

"I am not saying that the baby is really yours. But anything could happen. I don't think Krystal is an easy girl, if you know what I mean." Granny Liu said certainly. 

Amber shrugged and tapped her fingers on the table, anxious to get back to her tv show. Granny Liu gave a disapproving look at Amber when Amber finally looked at her grandmother’s face.

“How can you be so nonchalant about it? Amber, this is not the way I brought you up. You are supposed to be a responsible person, be it in marriage, love, friendships, work or family.” Granny Liu stated and her lips pressed firmly together. Amber fidgeted when she noticed the tone in her grandmother’s voice.

She looked away, afraid to meet her grandmother’s stern eyes. “I am sorry.”

Granny Liu’s heart softened when she saw Amber’s puppy face whenever she knew that she did something wrong. “Go and watch your show. I just wanted to remind you about the DNA test.”

Amber nodded and stood up hastily, before she left the table, she said in a quiet voice, “grandma, I will be going on a holiday with Suzy next month too.”

Granny Liu breathed out heavily as she knew that Amber was not willing to take up the responsibility. She knew Amber more than anyone. It was not that she really disliked Suzy, it was the fact that Suzy was surely not the one for Amber.

 

 

A Month Later

Seoul Hospital – 10.23am

“Ms Jung!” Granny Liu called out when she saw Jessica at the corridor in the hospital. Jessica turned around expectantly and smiled when she saw Granny Liu. They kept their words, she thought.

“Good morning Mrs Liu,” Jessica greeted Granny Liu politely when she saw them approaching. But something put a frown on her face. “Who is she? Why are the two of you holding hands?’ she pointed to the intertwined fingers and glared at Amber who had just joined Granny Liu.

“Erm, Jessica-ssi, this is Suzy, Amber’s girlfriend.” Granny Liu said awkwardly and shot a look at Amber. “Where’s Krystal by the way?” she asked, trying to divert Jessica’s attention as she could see that the girl was fuming gradually.

Jessica made sure she rolled her eyes at Amber who pretended that nothing happened before she answered Granny Liu. “She’s with Yuri, they’re waiting in the room.”

Granny Liu nodded and said, “shall we go now?” She smiled amiably to Jessica who could only smile back as a form of reverence.

The four of them entered a huge room which was well decorated and there was only two people inside. “Krys.” Krystal stood up when she heard her sister call her and quickly bowed when she saw Granny Liu.

“Krystal, it is nice to see you again!” Granny Liu said cheerily and held Krystal’s hands warmly. She had been smiling from ear to ear the moment she saw Krystal. Krystal blushed when she saw that granny Liu can’t stop looking at her. Indeed, she was very fond of this granddaughter-in-law soon-to-be.

Meanwhile, Amber just shoved her hands in her pockets and surveyed the room. It was not bad, she thought. Then when her eyes finally met the girl beside her, her brows raised as she saw the jealousy in Suzy’s eyes. She gulped but acted cool, still.

“Can we make it quick? I am going to miss my flight soon.” Amber said irritably and Granny Liu turned to glare at her while Krystal’s heart sank by a bit. Then, she noticed a girl standing beside Amber and had her body clung tightly to Amber. It made her heart fall to the bottom.

“Where are you going?” Jessica asked, very unhappy at what she was seeing.

“Is it your business?” Amber mocked. Jessica inhaled sharply and was about to snap but Yuri held her back, like usual.

“We are going to Bali for a holiday.” Suzy smiled and said. Jessica ignored her and just walked out of the room with Yuri who was pacifying her at the back.

“Let’s go, Krystal.” Granny Liu said gently and Krystal scurried to the exit, afraid that she would get any closer to Amber.

Unknown to all of them, Suzy was actually eyeing Krystal in an unfriendly manner. Masked by her innocent look, she was thinking of how to get rid of Krystal even though the girl was definitely harmless. Anything, she thought. She would do anything just to get the sight of Krystal out from her.

 

 

“Very good. Now the result will only be out after two weeks. I will send the paper to you, Mrs Liu.” Dr Yoon said politely and Granny Liu nodded in satisfaction.

They had gone through the necessary procedures and everything was done. Krystal was already in her third month of pregnancy and her belly was showing slightly. “Do you wish to do an ultrasound scan?” Dr Yoon asked and he looked at Krystal with a warm smile.

Krystal just had her check-up alone last week, she didn’t dare to ask Amber to go with her because she knew it better that Amber would reject it. “I already had one last week-“

“Yes.” A voice from the corner of the room said.

Krystal and Granny Liu turned around, surprised to see that Amber was the one answering the question. Actually, Amber wanted to see how does a baby look like in the womb, she was curious. Furthermore, if that was her baby, she had the every right to see it right? She thought.

“Alright then.” Dr Yoon said and asked Krystal to proceed to another room. Krystal stood up nervously and followed after Dr Yoon.

Suzy gritted her teeth when she saw Amber followed after Krystal. It was as if Amber and Krystal were already a family, it made her blood boil but she didn’t show it. Jessica smirked when she knew that Suzy was burning in jealousy.

 

 

“Please lie down and lift up your shirt to your belly,” Dr Yoon said as he prepared the necessary items. Krystal blushed when she realised that Amber was in the same room as well. Amber looked around everywhere, just not Krystal when Krystal laid down and did what she was told to. It was awkward.

Then, Dr Yoon smeared the gel over on Krystal’s tummy and picked up the equipment. Krystal took in a deep breath as she was having all sort of feelings right now. It was the first time that Amber was beside her when she was doing her check-up. She felt her heart getting lighter and lighter, didn’t realise that the doctor was explaining things to Amber who was amazed at what she was seeing.

She almost stuck her face on the small screen that was showing the tiny creature. It was not yet a baby but she could hear the heartbeat sound that was like the galloping sound of the horse. It was amazing. The doctor moved the scanner around the tummy to let Amber have different views of the baby, explaining that that was the foot, that was the hand, that was the head and Amber grinned when the doctor told her that the baby was a girl.

“Please take good care of your wife. The baby is healthy so far and the next check-up will be three weeks after.” Dr Yoon said as he passed Amber the tissue paper to clean the gel for Krystal. Amber held onto the tissue, not knowing what to do. “That’s for you to wipe away the gel, young lady.”

Amber nodded and without saying a word, she did what the doctor asked her to. Krystal wanted to tell her that she could do it herself but Amber didn’t let Krystal do it. “Thank you.” Amber said.

Krystal was speechless, it was supposed to be her thanking Amber but Amber just thanked her. She didn’t know what was that for but she didn’t dare to question Amber.

“take care.” Amber said after she opened the door for Krystal to go out first. It was as if Amber didn’t want to show the others that she actually cared for Krystal even for the tiniest bit.

Krystal felt butterflies in her stomach and she nodded sheepishly before she went out of the room with Amber behind her, ignoring her presence once again. 

 

 

 

 

 

tumblr_lk2y72abnl1qgosp2o1_500.jpg

SORRY FOR UPDATING SO SLOWLY