Chapter 4

Turning Point

"What did she say?" Jessica asked her sister immediately as soon as granny Liu left the cafe. Krystal slumped herself onto the chair and sighed out heavily as she recalled the conversation just now. She shot a helpless look to her sister who only got more worried. "yah tell me!" she pushed her younger sister lightly and Krystal pressed her lips together. 

"She suggested a DNA test. It will be on next month, and it is by the most famous gynaecologist in Seoul. Unnie..." she trailed off and Jessica nodded to tell her to go on. "She said that if the baby is Amber's, I-I will have to marry her."

Jessica stood back straight and folded her arms in front of her chest. "That's great! At least she is willing to take the responsibility! Now my baby sister, you don't have to worry about not being able to get married anymore!" Jessica cheered and Krystal stared at her blankly. 

"I am not that desperate to get married you know. And... I don't think Amber will like this idea... She hates me." She mumbled the last sentence and felt bitter in her chest. 

Jessica noticed that her sister was feeling down so she patted her on the head, "don't worry too much. Cross the bridge when you come to it."

"But unnie-"

"No but. I know you actually like that brat, don't you?" Jessica's question made Krystal's cheeks flush and Krystal looked away. "Now go to work, but don't overwork. I will tell Yuri to let you quit soon, you can't carry a baby around in your belly and work." Jessica nudged her sister and Krystal obliged it reluctantly. She was still feeling overwhelmed by what had happened just now.


Amber looked up from her papers when she heard the knocking on the glass door. "Come in," she said flatly and pushed away the files that she wasn't paying much attention to. "S-Suzy?" her eyes went round when she saw her ex-girlfriend standing by the door, looking down and not moving. "come in please." She said. She had missed the girl so much even though she was the one who initiated the break up. She kind of regretted it as well. 

"Amber..." Suzy called out with a shaky voice and ran to Amber when Amber stood up from her chair. "I miss you so much." She said into Amber's embrace, causing her voice to be muffled. 

Amber frowned and bit her lip. She did miss the girl but she didn't expect that the girl would come and find her after two months. "Suzy.." she sighed and patted the back of Suzy's head. 

"please don't chase me away anymore. Please. I miss you Amber." Suzy said hurriedly when she felt Amber pushing her away. 

"I am not chasing you away. I... Let's sit down and talk." Amber suggested and held Suzy's hand to lead her to the couch in her office. Suzy wiped away the lone tear on her cheek quietly and sat down beside Amber. "How are you?" she asked the girl even though she knew the answer well. 

Suzy looked at the girl she had missed and cupped her cheeks in her hands. "I am not fine. I have missed you so badly for the past two months. I tried to forget about you when you didn't reply to my text or answer my call anymore. You made me feel as if you don't want me in your life anymore. I am scared. I am lost. You don't know how badly I want to run to your house and call you. But I didn't because I know you wouldn't like it." 

Amber swallowed the lump in her dry throat when she heard what Suzy say. "I am sorry." She mumbled out in an almost inaudible voice. 

"Amber, you have no idea how happy I was when you didn't yell at me to go just now. I took whatever that is in me to come and find you. Amber, please. Can we go back to how it was before?" Suzy asked and held Amber's hands tightly as she looked into the tomboy's eyes. 

"i..." Amber didn't know what to say. She missed the girl but she was unsure if taking her back was a good idea. But it wasn't Suzy's fault after all. 

Suzy looked at Amber intently as she waited for an answer. As the time passed by, Suzy started to get uneasy with the look on Amber's face. It was as if Amber needed to contemplate for long to decide on her answer. Amber hesitated. 

"You're okay that I have broken my promise?" Amber asked finally. 

Suzy her bottom lip and inhaled deeply. "You didn't do it on purpose. It was partially my fault too. If I turned up, you wouldn't have slept with another girl whom you thought was me." 

Amber pursed her lips when she recalled what happened that night. "I feel guilty, you know?"

"Amber, I don't really mind actually. I just want you back in my life." Suzy said. 

Amber pulled Suzy into her embrace and kissed her on the forehead. "Shall we go on a holiday next month? Just you and me?" 

Suzy's face lit up and a huge smile plastered on her face when she heard what her girlfriend say. She nodded eagerly in her girlfriend's embrace and snuggled closer to Amber. 


 

"Yo Am, let's go for a drink. We haven't had a bro talk for a month already." Henry popped up in her office and just dragged Amber out of the office. Amber had patched things up with Suzy a week ago and things had been going on smoothly for them. Even though Granny Liu wasn't very fond of the idea that Amber got back together with Suzy. 

"Yah, I am not a kid you know." Amber complained when they were out of the building. Her workers looked at her in amusement as she was being dragged by her elder brother. She felt embarrassed. 

"Oops sorry. I am too excited to see my lil bro." Henry teased and pushed Amber into the passenger seat of his car that was parked directly in front of the company's entrance. 

"I should have asked the security guards to drag your car away instead." Amber rolled her eyes after Henry came in too. 

"You won't because you love me." Henry beamed her a cheeky grin and started the engine. 

"Where are we going to? You know that I still have mountains of work for me to complete right? I need to complete those before I go on a vacation with Suzy." Amber said to her brother. 

"I know I know. It won't take up a lot of your time. I just want to have a chat with you. Plus," Henry stopped and looked at Amber slyly then continued, "the cafe that we are going has pretty waitresses." 

Amber rolled her eyes again at her playboy brother and just stared out of the window. She frowned when her brother stopped by in front of the cafe that irked her the most. Out of all the cafe in the entire Korea, Henry chose the one Krystal worked at. 

"are you serious?" Amber turned to her brother and only realised that he was already out of the car. The next thing she knew, her brother pulled her out from the seat and she almost fell to the grond. "YAH I AM WARNING YOU!" She shouted at her brother who only grinned at her payfully. 

"Come on, I can't wait." Henry urged and pulled Amber into the cafe. Amber stepped into the cafe reluctantly and was surprised to see Krystal still working. She thought maybe she would stop working since she was pregnant. 

"Welcome," a girl with shoulder length hair greeted the two siblings warmly and Henry beamed her a huge grin. 

"A table for two please!" Henry said and the girl led them to a table near the window. Amber scurried to the seat as she didn't want Krystal to see that she was there. What if the girl thought Amber went to this cafe because of her? 

"I want a cup of cuppuccino and a cheese cake. How about you Amber?" Henry asked the person across the table who had the menu in front of her face. 

"Same." She replied quickly without putting down the menu. Henry laughed as he thought Amber was too shy to see pretty girls. 

"Wait, before you go... can I know your name please?" Henry asked boldly to the waitress who only smiled at him. 

"You fail." Amber laughed. She forgot to cover her face and when another waitress came and filled their glasses, she almost jumped up. "K-Krystal." She murmured under her breath but Henry caught it. 

"Your name is Krystal?" Henry asked her. Krystal looked at Henry with a confused look as she didn't know why did he know her name. She nodded nonetheless. "God... look at you..." Henry stifled a laugh. He had heard that the cafe had pretty girls but he didn't expect Krystal. To everyone else, Krystal did not stand out and had an ordinary look. 

Krystal felt awkward and embarrassed when the guy commented on her look. She feels very insecure when it comes to her appearance. "I am sorry I need to leave now." She said hastily and turned around. But Henry did not give up on teasing her. 

"Why? You have a low self-esteem, don't you? Never mind, a girl like you better not have a high self-esteem, because it will only lead to greater disappointment." Henry laughed and clapped his hands as he thought he was funny. "Right Am?" he asked his sister who was just sitting there quietly, hoping that she was invisible to Krystal. 

Krystal could feel the hot tears at the back of her eyes when she heard Henry's insult. She didn't know that one could be so mean. What shocked her the most was when she turned to look at the person sitting opposite of Henry. "Amber..." She muttered out with shaky voice.

Did she bring this guy to spite me on purpose? Why Amber? 

Amber put down her menu when she realised that it was no use hiding herself anymore. She looked at Krystal with an arrogant look and then turned away. Krystal's heart dropped and her nose stung. "excuse me." She said hurriedly and left the table with Henry still laughing at his own joke.

"stop it dude, it isn't even funny." Amber said quietly after Krystal left. To be honest, she felt kind of bad for Krystal. 

"why? Don't tell me you find her pretty!" Henry mocked and sipped on the water. 

"Pssh." Amber looked out of the window again and didn't bother when the other waitress served them their order. 

After that, Henry talked on and on about what happened for the past month and Amber just nodded to whatever Henry had said. She glimpsed at Krystal surreptitiously every now and then just to make sure that the girl was okay. After all, who can take criticism lightly?

"Are you listening to me? Or are you staring at the ugly girl?" Henry joked as he snapped his fingers in front of Amber who was dazing. 

"Stop it." Amber warned and stood up from her seat. She threw the napkin on the table and glared at Henry before she stomped out of the cafe, not forgetting to pull Krystal along. 


"It hurts." Krystal said as she tried to break free from Amber's grip on her wrist. She was shocked when a person just pulled her out of the cafe in a hurry and she was still holding on to the rag that she used to clean the table. 

"Why didn't you stand up for yourself?" Amber asked after she released her grip. She put her hands on her hips and stared at Krystal intently. They were at the small alley behind the cafe and Krystal shivered when she saw how quiet the alley was. 

"W-what?" She asked Amber as she didn't know what Amber was referring to. 

"My brother. When he insulted you. Why didn't you fight back?" Amber asked, feeling impatient as she had to repeat her question. 

Krystal frowned and mumbled, "You brought your brother to insult me."

"WHAT?!" Amber exclaimed when she heard what the girl say. "Listen, I am not that free to bring my brother to your cafe just to insult you. I still have tonnes of work for me to complete. Whatever." She turned away to face the wall that had cracks on it. 

"I am sorry." Krystal mumbled again, she felt guilty when she realised that she had wronged the girl. 

"Forget it. Who are you to me anyway?" Amber let out a sarcastic laugh and rolled her eyes at Krystal before she walked away for a few steps. 

"Amber," Krystal called out. Amber stopped in her track and turned her head to the side to let Krystal know that she was listening. "I am doing a DNA test next month. You... You will be there right?" 

Amber scoffed and turned her body around so that she was facing the girl. "Are you dumb or what? If I am not there, how are you going to carry out a DNA test?" 

Krystal's face reddened as she realised how silly her question sounded. "I am sorry."

"For god's sake, stop saying sorry. Now go back to your work." Amber said and strode away, leaving Krystal alone in the eerie alley. 

"AH!" Krystal screamed when she saw a rat scurrying away. Amber spun around immediately and saw the girl running towards her. "I am scared." She said as she clung onto Amber's shirt. 

Amber stared at the girl incredulously and then let out a small chuckle, She pushed away Krystal's hand on her shirt and turned around to continue walking. When she sensed that Krystal didn't move an inch, she asked, "are you going to stand there or walk with me?" 

Krystal's eyes lit up and quickly walked to Amber's side. Her lips formed into a small shy smile as she walked beside Amber, their hands brushed against each other with each stride that they took. 

"Next time, don't run. You're pregnant. Bear that in mind." Amber said before the girl went into the cafe. Her brother was no longer in the cafe. 

Krystal nodded sheepishly and bid goodbye to Amber who didn't bother to return her the wave and just walked away. However, Krystal still felt blithe that Amber send her back to the cafe when she could have just walked the other way back to the company. She looked at Amber's back until she disappeared around the corner. There was something in her heart that made her feel as if it was light.