Chapter 33

Turning Point

"Good afternoon, Mr Lee. I am sorry to bother you and thank you for giving me your time." Amber said, initiating a handshake as Mr Lee Minho strode into the reserved cafe. His bodyguards were standing by him and outside of the cafe, just in case of any assault. Mr Lee gave Amber his full smile and returned the firm handshake. "It's nothing. I was informed that you have something important to discuss with me, Ms Liu." He said and waved the waiter off after he had served them their tea. 

Amber straightened her posture and cleared before she leaned forward to speak in a serious tone. "I am really sorry to say this but Mr Lee, I am afraid... that your brother is manipulated by an outsider." 

Minho frowned and placed his elbow on the table, supporting his chin with his hand as he shifted closer to Amber who was sitting opposite to her. "What do you mean?" 

"This news isn't out yet but, I am ashamed to tell you that my company is doing tremendously bad. The stock market plunges down because your brother has withdrawn a contract with us that has been going on for more than twenty years since my father and your father had taken over the companies." Amber stated, she sounded calm and steady. 

"And... why are you telling me this for?" Minho asked, curious as of why Amber sought help from him. 

Amber raised her tea cup and took a sip. Minho watched patiently and Amber clasped her hands together after putting the cup down. "There is a mastermind behind this and it is not going to benefit your family." 

"I believe you know that I am not on a good term with my father." Minho stated in a matter of fact tone. 

"I know that you probably don't care if your family is doing well or not, because you're an independent man. I admire you from the bottom of my heart. But I have to tell you this, once the news is out, Lee's stock market will crash as well and it is going to affect your career, whether you like your father or not. Because, we all know that running an election requires huge sum of funds and your father will sponsor you no matter what. And if I am not wrong, the upcoming election is the week after this." Amber explained. 

Her words struck Minho and for a few seconds of time, he was speechless. "You're good." He chuckled, admiring Amber's boldness and intelligence. 

"Not as good as you." Amber grinned confidently. Minho shook his head with light chuckle and drank his tea as well. 

"So, what can I do?" He asked after putting the cup down. 

"What do you think you can do?" Amber asked back, still smiling and confidence was radiating off her. 

Minho slacked back and crossed his leg over the other, putting his clasped hands over his knee. "I will help you to regain the contract and make sure everything goes back to the original state. In the meantime, you will not this news out."

Amber leaned back too and nodded approvingly. "Of course. Thank you so much, Mr Lee. I will be indebted to you and you have my vote." 

"Good!" Minho laughed and clapped his hands. "I will give that useless brother of mine a good scolding. But... do you, by any chance, know the identity of the mastermind?" 

"Of course." Amber smiled. "A girl whom your brother is fond of." She nodded and got up, bowing to Minho before she left with Lay after her. Minho was left speechless again and then he shook his head, he could not believe how foolish his brother was and how he put him down in front of an important figure too. "Jason!" He shouted and a man scurried to his side, lowering his upper body as he stood in front of Minho. "Get Hoya here as soon as possible." 

"Yes sir." 

"Rubbish." He hissed after his man left. 

 

 

 

 

"I didn't know that it was so easy!" Lay commented after they went into the car. Amber chuckled and fastened her seatbelt. "He was probably too embarrassed of his brother who does nothing but crap." Amber mocked and Lay nodded in agreement as he drove Amber back to the house. Suzy was already waiting for Amber to return and Lay patted Amber's shoulder before he left. 

"You're back!" Suzy jumped up from the sofa when she saw Amber walking in. "How was your day?" She asked, helping Amber with the files in her hands and putting the blazer in the laundry basket. Amber didn't reply and went to grab a can of isotonic drink, she was hungry as hell but Suzy did not prepare dinner. She mentally cursed her for that and went to plop herself down in front of the television. 

"Babe, are you okay?" Suzy asked, sitting down beside Amber and hands touching on Amber's shoulder and forearm. Amber nodded lazily and flicked through the channels. Suzy was unhappy that Amber was ignoring her and her mood changed drastically. "Aren't you scared of bearing another consequence for mistreating me?" She asked, folding her arms in front of her chest and looking to the front. 

Amber arched an eyebrow and looked at Suzy from the corner of her eyes. She decided to play along with Suzy since she was being so full of herself. "I am sorry." Amber said, sounding apologetic and she put her drinks down on the coffee table in front. She leaned back and took Suzy's hands in hers, "will you forgive me?" 

Suzy was overjoyed when Amber apologised. A smile was plastered on her face immediately and she sighed. "You know, I don't feel very secure..." 

"Why is that so?" Amber asked, even though she couldn't really care. 

"Us. We are just girlfriends. I want something to prove your heart to me." Suzy said, hinting to Amber and Amber got the idea. But she dreaded it, so she decided to play the dumb card. 

"What can I do to prove my love for you?" Amber asked, looking sincere. 

Suzy looked into Amber's eyes and whispered, "let's get married." 

Amber felt a choke at and the breath got stuck in her windpipe. But she knew that she should not hesitate, Suzy was smart but sadly, she was smarter. "S-sure." 

"Is that really what you want?" Suzy asked, observing Amber's expression closely and her scrutinizing stare made Amber extremely uncomfortable. 

"Yes. We've been together for more than three years. It is about time for us to get married." Amber replied, trying to distract Suzy from being suspicious. 

Suzy's eyes softened and she leaned in to hug Amber around to neck, snuggling close to Amber's chest. Amber wrapped her arms around Suzy's body unwillingly and patted her back a few times, kissing on Suzy's temple and feeling disgusted afterwards. But she had to do it, she wanted a revenge. Also, she had to make sure that Suzy would learn her lesson well and not to mess with her again in the future, not even Krystal. 

 

 

 

Amber stepped into the office the next day and told Lay to hold a press conference, saying that she had something important to announce to the public. Lay just complied but he did not know what was it that Amber wanted to announce. Lay texted Krystal that Amber would be on the tv at noon, since he wanted Krystal to see Amber even though not face to face. He knew that the two missed each other badly. Krystal was delighted to know that she would be able to see Amber soon and she missed Amber badly, indeed. She sat down in front of the television since morning and waited till noon. 

"What are you watching?" Jessica asked, sitting down beside Krystal and offering her a bowl of grapes. Krystal replied, "Amber is going to be on the tv." Then she ate some grapes and increased the volume when the reporter said that the press conference was starting soon. 

Krystal's heart palpitated when she saw Amber stepping into the screen. Amber waved to the reporters with a confident smile and took a seat in the centre. Lay was beside her and he stood up to quieten the reporters and photographers down. 

"Thank you for giving us your time and we appreciate your presence. Today, Amber Liu, the president of ALNO has a piece of good news to announce to you. I hope you will give her your fullest attention and questions will only be answered after her announcement." Lay said and then sat down. 

Amber nodded at Amber and then looked into the camera. Krystal could feel her cheeks getting warmer when Amber looked into the camera, it was as if she was looking at Krystal directly. "Good afternoon, everyone. I have... like what my assistant has said, a piece of good news to share with everyone of you." She smiled and her lips before she continued. "I am getting married." 

Krystal was confused. If Amber was getting married, why wasnn't she informed of the time, place and date? But her heart fell to the deepest of the ocean when the name slipped from Amber's mouth was not hers. "As you know, I have a fiancee but the name is kept confidential. So today, I am happy to announce that I am getting married with my girlfriend, Suzy Bae." 

"WHAT?! WHAT THE HECK IS THIS?!" Jessica yelped and stood up from the sofa. She looked at the screen then back to Krystal's face, repeatedly. 

Krystal was quiet throughout the entire press conference. Amber announced the date, time and place of the wedding and answered a few questions, but they were not heard by Krystal. She was astounded to learn the news and she switched the television off. Jessica looked at her sister carefully, placing a palm on Krystal's shoulder. "Are you... okay? Oh god, of course you are not. What is that jerk doing now?!" 

"Unnie..." 

"Don't unnie me. She is a jerk! She asked you to wait but she is getting married now? So what now? You're going to be forever alone?" Jessica sounded exasperated and she flailed her arms in the air, too overwhelmed by the sudden news. 

"I need to rest..." Krystal mumbled and stood up, wanting to walk to her bedroom but Jessica held her back. 

"We need to call her. NOW." Jessica demanded. Krystal's silence irked her so much that she stomped her feet on the ground and clenched her fists together, punching in the air to vex her frustration. Krystal was expressionless and just stood there like a lifeless body. When Jessica was finally done, she looked at Krystal and placed her hands on Krystal's cheeks. Her heart pained when she saw how lifeless Krystal was. "Soojungie..." 

Everything came crumbling down when Jessica pulled Krystal into her embrace. Krystal started tearing, sobbing and then wailing, Jessica on her hair and whispered every word to shush Krystal but to no avail. Jessica could feel her sleeve getting damped and she was both angry and despaired at the same time when she saw her sister in the broken state. 

 

 

 

"YAH! AMBER LIU! DON'T ACT LIKE YOU DON'T KNOW ME!" Jessica screamed as the two female guards tried to pull her away from Amber's office. "I know her okay? Let me go! AMBER LIU!" She shouted again, staring at Amber through the glass door and Amber was fully aware of the commotion outside her office. 

To be honest, she was scared and shaking in her seat but she remained composed. She stood up, giving Jessica a cold look before she drew her curtains. "AMBER LIU! DO YOU KNOW HOW KRYSTAL IS FEELING RIGHT NOW!" 

"YAH I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME! AMBER LIU! YOU JERK! ARGH LET ME GO!" 

Finally, the screaming and shouting became more distant and Amber heaved a sigh of relief when she knew that Jessica had been 'escorted' out of the company. She understood that Krystal was not doing well and her heart ached when she realised that Krystal had gotten the news that Suzy and her were getting married. The fact that Jessica even made an effort to come to the office to persuade Amber to see Krystal and explain to Krystal, just proved how broken Krystal was right now. It was Jessica's last resolution, she guessed. But she could not be moved. Amber asked Jessica to get out of her office when Jessica was talking calmly and patiently to her, she then called the female guards to drag Jessica out when Jessica did not give up on persuading her. That's when she pushed Jessica too much and Jessica started making a scene in her company. She did not blame Jessica though. 

"Why are you doing this?" Lay asked, sounding dejected and confused as he did not understand the sudden change of Amber. 

"Get this contract signed and make me a cup of coffee." Amber said coldly, passing the file to Lay and Lay threw one last look at Amber before he went out of the office. 

"I am sorry Soojung-ah... So sorry... but please wait for me... Please..." Amber whispered, her thumb caressing the face displaying on her phone screen. "I love you." A tear trickled down her cheek and her lips quivered, she inhaled sharply to steady herself and put away her phone, pressing her lips together to stop them from trembling.