Chapter 40

Turning Point

SORRY THAT I HAVE BEEN AWAY FOR TOO LONG. WORK IS HECTIC AND CHINESE NEW YEAR IS COMING. 

"Ms Liu, I am afraid-"

"AMBER LIU! COME OUT RIGHT NOW!" 

Everyone turned their head to the door when a woman with hair all over her face barged in, half-leaning against the door frame and panting. "Who- Yuri?" Amber stood up, surprised to see Yuri but the moment she was near Yuri, a slap was sent across her face and it left Amber in shock. 

"Get going, you moron." Yuri hissed and dragged Amber out of the conference room. Lay witnessed the fuss and he called off the meeting immediately before he ran after his boss who was being pulled out of the company, literally. 

"Hey, hey! What's going on!" Lay shouted when he finally caught up with Yuri and Amber who were already at the main entry of the building. Amber was still too surprised to say anything but the slap still stung her face, she only followed after Yuri blindly as the older girl tugged on her to walk faster. 

Lay invited himself into the backseat of the car when Yuri threw Amber into the passenger seat. "Amber!" Lay shook Amber's shoulders and it was then, Amber finally came back from her daze. 

"What the- Hey! Why did you slap me-"

"There's no time for bull . Your wife is in the delivery room and you're there talking to bunch of old men, wow do I have to clap for you Amber?" Yuri said sarcastically as she inserted the car key and started off the engine. Amber's heart stopped for an instance when she heard the news. "Fasten your bloody seatbelt." Amber immediately did what Yuri told and the second she was done, Yuri stepped on the gas hard, sending the the other two in her car flying forward. But thanks to the seatbelt. 

 

 

"Sica!" 

"Yul!"

Amber ran with all her might after Yuri and Lay behind them. She saw Jessica pacing up and down in front of the delivery room and felt uneasy. "How long has she been in there?" 

"About two hours." Jessica answered, eyes couldn't focus and she fell into Yuri's arms as her knees gave away. Amber's throat suddenly felt dry and the next second, she too, collapsed onto the ground but Lay managed to catch her in time. 

"What did the doctor say?" Amber asked weakly, trying to stand on her feet. Lay struggled a little to assist her up and helped her to the chairs along the aisle. Her face white as paper and lips quivering as negative thoughts kept flashing through her mind. 

Jessica and Yuri settled down beside them as well and Jessica said, "loss of blood..." 

"Wh-what?" Amber dared herself to ask even though she had caught it clearly. 

"I think the doctor said that Krystal has lost too much blood." Lay figured but instead of a 'thank you' for helping to repeat, Amber grabbed Lay's collars and pushed him to the ground. 

"How can you say it so calmly! She's inside! ALIVE OR DEAD I DON'T EVEN KNOW!"

"Sorry mister-" 

" OFF!" Amber glared at the nurse when she tried to ask Amber to calm down. She quickly scurried away when Amber started to approach her. A loud thud echoed in the empty hallway when Amber threw her fist into the wall. Blood immediately trickled down her fingers as she hit the sharp edge of the wall. Lay saw it and he scrambled up, hurrying to Amber's side and asking Yuri to call for a nurse the tend Amber. "Why..." She whispered when Lay brought her back to the chair. "Why wasn't I with her..."

"It is not your fault." Lay said calmly, even though he was aware that he might get thrown onto the ground again. 

Amber averted her eyes to Lay who was sitting beside her. She chuckled weakly, "not my fault? Where was I when she needed me by her side?"

"You can't predict-"

"If only I stayed by her side when her due date is near." Amber whispered with her hoarse voice again. Jessica shifted closer to Amber and placed a palm on her shoulder. 

"You've to be strong. Soojung needs you." Jessica managed to say without sobbing. Amber nodded, she didn't want to hear anymore. A nurse came running to Amber with a first-aid box with Yuri beside her. Amber just let the nurse tend her wound and Lay went to make a call to Henry, asking him to bring Mrs Liu over. 

Halfway through wrapping the bandage, the door slided open and revealed the doctors and nurses. Amber got up hastily and went forward. "How's my wife? How's our baby?" 

"We managed to save both the wife and the baby. But-"

"BUT?!" Amber grabbed the doctor's shoulders. 

"But your wife is very weak right now due to excessive loss of blood. Not to worry too much, she should be fine after resting." The doctor smiled. Amber heaved a sigh of relief and then peered into the room, she saw Krystal lying on the bed with their baby beside her. "They'll be transfer to the ward and you can visit them there." The doctor patted Amber's arm and walked off. 

Amber fell to her knees and thanked god that Krystal and their baby were safe. Jessica cried out tears of joy as well and Yuri had to hug her to soothe her. Lay gave a pat on Amber's shoulder and smiled at her. "Let's go and see them." Lay said, pulling Amber up on her feet again. 

"Yes... Krystal..." Amber mumbled and then began running to the ward.

 

 

 

"Krystal..." 

Krystal opened her eyes gradually when she heard someone calling her name. The room was dimly lit but she could figure there were a total of six people in the ward. "Am.." she called back weakly. She felt someone holding her hand up and felt warmth at the back of her hand. 

"You're okay. You're okay now." Amber smiled, her eyes damped with tears. "You are amazing." Amber kissed Krystal's hand and held it to her cheek. Krystal gave a weak smile and shut her eyes for a moment. She was tired and all she wanted to do was sleep. With Amber her hair, she soon drifted into a deep slumber again. 

"She must be tired." Henry said, offering Mrs Liu a chair to sit down. The baby was just beside Krystal's bed. Yuri was awed when she saw how adorable the little human looked like. 

"I think she looks like Soojung." Jessica smiled, caressing the baby's cheek and leaning down to give a soft peck on the forehead. Amber pulled the blanket up higher to make sure that Krystal would not catch a cold before she went over to look at her baby as well. 

Her tear rolled down her cheek when she saw how her baby squirm underneath the blanket. "You're right. She looks so much like Krystal. So beautiful." She her baby's soft hair and then carried her up gingerly, holding her securely close to her chest to give the tiny one her warmth. "Grandma, look at your great-granddaughter." Amber brought the baby to Mrs Liu and Mrs Liu carried the baby in her arms. 

"She's so adorable, Amber." Mrs Liu couldn't stop smiling and Henry poked the baby's cheek playfully which she tried to swat his finger away. Everyone chuckled softly when they saw the scene and Amber went back to Krystal's side again. 

"What should we call her?' Yuri asked, eyes not leaving the baby. 

Mrs Liu pondered for a moment before she said, "let's give her a Korean name." 

"Why?" Jessica asked, curious as of why Mrs Liu wanted a Korean name for the baby when Amber is a Chinese. 

"Because the baby is not only the Liu's." Amber helped Mrs Liu to answer and she landed a soft peck on Krystal's lips, brushing the sleeping girl's cheek with the back of her fingers. 

Mrs Liu smiled when she heard Amber's answer. Her granddaughter had indeed grown a lot through the course of Krystal's pregnancy. "Let's call her Zelda Liu Ji Won." 

"Nice name." Henry commented, touching little Ji Won's soft hair. 

"Lay, help me to call Kai and Minho over. They've got to see my little princess." Amber said proudly, carrying Jiwon carefully when Mrs Liu passed her back into Amber's arms.