Chapter 35

Turning Point

"What about Krystal? She has your baby!" Mrs Liu questioned and snapped a glare at Amber who was seated opposite to her with Suzy by her side. Henry, on the right of Mrs Liu, her back to calm her down. It was a family meeting since Amber said that she had something important to announce. Suzy was frightened by Mrs Liu's outburst and she lowered her head, she had always been scared of the elder woman. 

"Krystal?" Amber chuckled sarcastically, holding Suzy's hand up and showing their intertwined hands to Mrs Liu. "I've always wanted to marry this girl and Krystal is just an accident." 

"Yah, do you know what you're talking about right now?" Henry asked, angry because of Amber's tone.

Amber scoffed and uttered, "ah... don't lecture me in front of my fiancee, will you?" She caressed Suzy's hand and gave her a warm smile, assuring her that everything was okay. "Whatever it is, I am going to marry Suzy. We're in the midst of preparing the wedding which is in two months time. Grandma, see you there. I need your blessing."  With that, Amber gave a half smile and stood up, pulling Suzy up as well and they left the dining room. Henry watched his sister leave incredulously and mollified Mrs Liu who was boiling with anger. 

 

"Amber," Suzy called out while they were walking toward the carpark. Amber rolled her eyes and scoffed silently before answering calmly, "what?" Suzy went in to the car first when Amber opened the car door for her, she waited for Amber to step into the car before she continued, "is grandma going to be okay?" 

"Yeah." Amber answered shortly. She thought that Suzy was being a hypocrite then. It made her sick and she quickly said, "I don't really want to talk about it now. I... I just want to get married with you. Okay?" She cracked a smile and glimpsed at Suzy before focusing on the road again. It made Suzy smile with relish as Amber was so concerned about her that she even defied her grandma. 

"Am, you're not seeing her anymore, are you?" Suzy suddenly asked when Amber was driving on the high way. Amber felt a lump in immediately when Krystal was raised up in the topic. 

"Nah. After spending time with you alone, I realise that you're the only one I love. It has never been her. I was just... lonely I guess." Amber said, tapping her fingers against the steering wheel and feeling guilty for saying words like that. 

Suzy could not hide her sly smile and she said, "I am sorry for not spending enough time with you. If only I went to the hotel that day..." 

"No no. It isn't your fault." Amber quickly said, searching for Suzy's hand with her free hand and giving its back a gentle rub. She shivered quietly at the contact because she was not used to the warmth. She missed Krystal's warmth. 

"What about the baby? Are you going to fight for it?" Suzy asked, tilting her head to look at Amber who was driving with focus. 

Amber glanced at Suzy and gave her a smile. "Of coure. She is my baby. We'll raise her together. You don't mind, right?" 

Suzy shook her head. "I don't mind, since she has your blood." 

"Yeah." Amber sighed, it was so true. 

"Did she try to talk to you?" Suzy asked, her voice was filled with jealousy. 

Amber looked at the rear mirror and asked nonchalantly, "who?" 

"Krystal." Suzy replied, arching an eyebrow as she found it amusing that Amber did not consider Krystal at all. 

"Oh. Nope. I don't even want to talk to her now." Amber said. "Even though Lay keeps persuading me to talk to her because she is not doing fine, without me." She gave a small smirk at the end of the sentence to convince Suzy. 

"Lay? Fire him then. He is interfering too much." Suzy suggested, folding her arms in front of her as she thought that Amber would listen to her now, obediently.

"N-nah. I can't. He knows too much of our company's secret." Amber pretended to sigh. 

Suzy puffed her cheeks and played with the air in . "Then make sure he doesn't talk about her again." 

"I will." Amber assured, patting Suzy's thigh and making the girl blush. It would have been cute if she was Krystal. Amber shook away the thought and focused on the road instead. It was snowing and she kept thinking if Krystal had worn enough clothes, if the water was warm enough for her to take a bath or if her feet were swollen in the cold weather. 

"Baby, do you mind if I go to the company to do something? I forgot that there's a document for me to look through." Amber said, slowing her speed down as she didn't want to miss the turn to her company. 

"Can't you do it tomorrow?" Suzy protested. 

"Okay, tell you what. I will go up, bring the document down and read it at home. Okay?" Amber suggested and Suzy pouted but still giving her a nod. Amber beamed a smile and made a quick turn to her company. She went up alone, leaving Suzy in the car. 

People were still working as it was working hour, just that Amber took a leave to have the family meeting that meant nothing to her. Amber called for Lay and asked him to report to her office. Meanwhile, she jotted down some words on a piece of paper and searched for a document for her to bring down. Lay knocked thrice before entering the office. 

"Done." Lay said as soon as he entered the office, referring to Krystal. Amber heaved a sigh of relief and passed Lay the piece of paper. "For Krystal?" Amber nodded. 

"Don't read it. Tell her to write what she wants to say down on a piece of a paper too. Do not specify any names. You'll do the delivery." Amber said, patting on Lay's shoulder. 

"Now I am a postman too?" Lay teased and then gave a salute sign at Amber before she strode out of the office. 

 

 

 

 

Two Months Later

Krystal was already in her 8th month of pregnancy. She had not seen Amber for nearly 3 months, however it was not killing her. Lay and Nana had been helping them to relay each other's message. Amber passed to Lay, Lay passed to Nana and Nana passed to Krystal, and it went backward too. Today, Jessica had just accompanied her to the check up and the doctor said that the baby was healthy and fit, Krystal was relieved to know that. 

"You better eat more, understand? Dr Yoon said that you're still slightly underweight. Gosh, what do I have to cook for you..." Jessica lectured and then mumbled to herself, she looked through the items in the fridge and took out some ingredients. Krystal sat herself down on the sofa and watched television instead. 

The news headlines were mostly about Amber's wedding on the next week and Amber's photos were all over the internet as well as tv. Krystal was contented with looking at the photos. The bell rang again and she knew who was coming up. "Hey." Krystal smiled when she saw the girl coming in, removing her heels by the doorstep. 

"Hello. Where's Jessica?" Nana asked, looking around and she jerked back when Jessica suddenly popped up from the kitchen. To be honest, she was still scared of Jessica because the girl would throw her deathly glare every now and then. "Good afternoon, Sica unnie." she bowed and hurried to Krystal's side. Krystal stifled her laughter and looked at Nana expectantly. "Right, your letter." 

Krystal took over the piece of paper from Nana and opened it eagerly. 

 

How's the check up? Is our baby doing fine? :* 
I miss you so much, my princess. I promise everything will be ending soon and I will return to your side. I swear, soon.
About the question you asked me... hmm... Nope, we didn't do that,yet. Kidding, I will never do it with her. 
But she has been hinting me about that... How, baby?! I will behave myself don't worry XP
Anyway, Nana will tell you something which is a little difficult for me to explain on a piece of paper. 
Listen attentively and, miss me :D 
Love you, princess 

 

Krystal blushed after reading it and she put away the paper, turning her body to face Nana who was drinking the plain water that Jessica had poured for her. "Do you have something to tell me?" 

"oh, yeah. I almost forgot about it." Nana bit her tongue and she cleared . "But... can you ask sica unnie to be here too?" She asked timidly, pointing to the kitchen and Krystal giggled. 

"Unnie!" 

"Yeah?!" 

"Can you come here for a minute?" 

"Okay!" 

Jessica removed her apron and walked to sit beside Krystal, looking confused as she did not know why she had to be there when the other two younger girls were talking. "Right." Nana clasped her hands together and took a deep breath. "This is Amber's plan and I need you to listen carefully. As usual. no question until the end of my story." Krystal nodded and Jessica looked at Nana with raised brows. 

"The wedding is on next week, Wednesday. Amber has invited almost everyone that she knows in the business world, her friends, Suzy's friends and the people in the company. In another word, the wedding is going to be big." Nana stopped when she heard Jessica scoff. "Actually, the wedding will not be commemorated. Reporters, photographers, journalists and whatever media people are invited to the wedding." 

Krystal frowned as she listened. "You need to be there. Sica unnie, too." Nana looked at them in the eyes seriously and Krystal tilted her head to the right. "You just need to be there, it is a must." 

"Can I ask questions now?" Jessica suddenly asked, folding her arms 

"Y-yes." Nana nodded. 

"Why do I have to be there?" 

"You will know on that day. But, dress glamorously." Nana said, smiling widely and Krystal was still not getting the idea fully. But yet, she nodded when Nana gave her an assuring smile.