chapter 39

Turning Point

That night after Yuri and Jessica left, Amber was reading through some documents in the study room. She had already forgotten about her conversation with Yuri earlier on. Krystal, in another room, was tossing and turning on the bed, she could not sleep without Amber by her side. She remembered what her sister told her when the two other girls were out for a drink. 

"Initiate then. Or else the dense jerk won't know what you want." 

She bit her lip as she recalled the conversation. Should she really initiate it? But will Amber reject her since she was pregnant with such a huge belly, it would be such a turn off. No idea why, but she started to have some wild thoughts in her mind. How Amber would kiss her way down her neck, the way Amber's skin would brush against hers and the way Amber would touch her. "Ah!!' She screamed out, using a pillow to muffle her scream as she did not want to alert the busy tomboy next door. 

 

Amber frowned when she read through the terms in the contract, something was off but she could only deal with it the next day since it was already 1am in the morning. Feeling drained, she laid her head on the head rest and closed her eyes to relax her mind first before she left the study room. But the door creaked open and caught Amber's attention. A burglar? It can't be, if so the alarm would have gone off by now. She watched the door wearily and was surprised to see Krystal standing by the frame, looking down and playing with her fingers. 

"Krystal? Why aren't you sleeping yet?" Amber asked, getting up to walk to her wife. Krystal stumbled a few steps back when Amber approached her but Amber caught her readily, afraid that she would fall. "Are you feeling any discomfort?" She asked worriedly, checking the girl's temperature and cupping Krystal's cheeks. She panicked when she saw how red Krystal's cheeks were. "Krystal? Are you okay? Answer me." She looked at the girl who had her head lowered down, avoiding Amber's eyes. 

Amber was already freaking out by then, she ran back to her desk and grabbed her phone, ready to call for an ambulance but Krystal stopped her immediately. "Amber, I am fine." She looked at the worried tomboy sternly and then walked closer to her carefully. Amber frowned, her eyebrows were closely knitted together, she could not get the younger girl. 

"You can't sleep?" She asked gently, checking if there's anything odd with Krystal. 

Krystal nodded shyly and meekly. 

"Don't stand for too long, come, let's go back," Amber said, assisting Krystal by supporting her waist and pushing her gently out of the room. She swtiched off the study room light with another hand and then closed the door behind them. "You could have just yell for me, I would be there." Amber lectured lightly on their way back to the bedroom. But Krystal was acting really odd, she did not reply Amber at all but her gaze kept wavering. Amber placed Krystal down on the bed gingerly, tucking the pillow under her neck properly and then pulled the blanket over the girl's body. She went to the wardrobe, picking out her singlet and boxer. 

Krystal's breathing was quickened and she wanted to look away when Amber started undressing herself but her eyes were fixed on the tomboy who was still oblivious about it. She her bottom lip unconsciously and gulped down when Amber removed her pants, revealing her long and slender legs. But her show was ended when Amber pulled up her boxer, bending down to pick up her clothes and throwing them to the laundry basket skillfully. She quickly closed her eyes when Amber turned back and walked toward the bed. 

"Good night." She heard Amber whispering into her ear and giving it a peck. The heat travelled up her chest to her neck and then flushed her face, she sighed out heavily and Amber shifted around. "Are you okay?" She asked, full of worries and Krystal wanted to scream and tell her she was not okay but she was needy. 

Krystal rolled over to face Amber slowly and carefully. Even though the room was dark, the dim light from outside made it possible for Amber to observe the girl's expression. She looked like she had a lot to say but nothing came out of . "Amber.." She called out, trying to muster her courage to say something but the tomboy lost patience after awhile due to her sleepiness. 

Amber's eyelids were already drooping and Krystal was discouraged by the sight. She sighed and stared down, not facing Amber anymore and soon, she heard snoring from the person lying beside her. Another night of frustration. 

 

 

 

 

Few days later

Krystal was sleeping soundly on the bed in the afternoon when a pain seeped through her body and woke her up. She felt breathless, panting for air and she heard the television sound coming from the living room. It must be her sister, watching show while she was napping. "Unnie..." She called out weakly and tried to move her arm in the air to catch Jessica's attention but the girl seemed to be too engrossed in her show. 

"Unnie.." She called again, louder this time but damn, the tv volume was louder. "Ah..." She started groaning and in pain, clutching her belly and stirring about on the bed, trying every way to ease the pain but it only grew more excruciating as the time passed. She yelped in pain this time when she felt something within her tearing her apart. 

Jessica was shocked when she heard her sister screaming in pain. She got up from the sofa and ran to the room hastily, even more stunned when she saw her sister squirming about on the bed. "Omo, Krystal? Are you okay?" She asked and patted Krystal's cheek but Krystal could not reply her, she just kept screaming and the cold sweat started forming on her forehead. 

The anxiety hit Jessica and she started freaking out, thinking of what to do and pacing up and down in the room. It was Krystal's screeching cry that woke her up from her anxiety and she dashed out of the room, grabbing her phone and dialed to the hospital first. They said they would be there in five, so pushed away everything in the living room so that they would not block the paramedics' way to the room. She went into the room again when Krystal was wailing in pain, her heart ached when she saw her sister's face become pale. "Amber." She suddenly thought of the tomboy and she fished out her phone to call her again but the call went unreach. 

"Damn it!" She cursed when it failed to get through another time. 

The bell rang in the lift and then four paramedics rushed out of it. Jessica pointed to the room and they ran in, opening the stretcher and carrying Krystal up carefully then placed her down as gingerly as possible. No more time left. The water had already broken and there were even blood on the bed sheet. The baby was on its way out and the pain was tearing Krystal apart. 

Jessica followed anxiously behind the paramedics and up the ambulance. A few passer-bys stood and watched so Jessica glared at them before the paramedic closed the door. She held onto Krystal's hand and whispered some comforts to the girl, her hair and wiping away the cold sweat on her forehead. The pain did not ease away, it grew stronger instead and Jessica was scared when Krystal suddenly stopped screaming and her eyes could not focus on Jessica when she called her name. 

"Krystal! Don't sleep. We're there!" Jessica yelled, shouting as loud as possible, hoping that Krystal could hear her and open her eyes. The female paramedic checked and saw the baby head. The baby's life was at stake if Krystal passed out. Jessica went hysterical when Krystal's eyes were fully closed. "What to do! WAKE HER UP! SAVE HER!" She screamed at the paramedics and they put the oxygen mask on Krystal, the female paramedic was trying to see if she could pull the baby out but the head was barely out, there was no way to pull it out unless they performed c-section in the ambulance. 

"What are you doing! SAVE HER!" Jessica screamed again when she saw that the female paramedic was not doing anything anymore. 

"I am sorry but there's nothing I can do now, miss. We are near the hospital already. Please stay calm." 

"Calm?! Go fu- Ah never mind. DRIVE FASTER YOU MORON!" Jessica screamed at the driver and the paramedics shook their heads, they were quite used to all the outbursts so they didn't mind. 

Once arrived at the hospital, Krystal was rushed into the operation room immediately and Jessica paced up and down the hallway. The light went on and Jessica's heart dropped a little. Going through an operation is like visiting the hell once, there is not certainty of life and death. "Yuri..." She mumbled when she was scared. She pulled out her phone again and called Yuri, luckily she picked up after a few rings and Jessica broke down when Yuri answered. 

"The hosp-pital. C-come." Jessica sobbed

"What? Where are you now? Are you okay? Sica?" Yuri kept questioning and her anxiety heightened too when Jessica kept sobbing. 

"S-seo-"

"Be there in ten." Yuri immediately said and hung up. Jessica pulled the phone away from her ear and collapsed on the chair along the aisle. She started crying non-stop and a nurse came to pass her some tissue. 

A minute later, someone came out of the operation room and Jessica immediately stood up, rushing to the man and asking him if Krystal was okay but he did not answer her, instead he patted her shoulder and sighed before he ran to the other side. Jessica was confused and she did not know what did it mean. Again, her heart started beating in an abnormal rhythm and her eyes widened when she saw 3 more doctors rushing in to the operation room. She wanted to ask what was going on but the nurse pulled her down to sit. 

"Save her! Save my sister!" She screamed and the nurse had to quieten her down. Jessica did not even care when her face was stained with tears and her hair was all over her face. She felt a little more relieved when she heard Yuri screaming for her name, jogging toward her. "Yul!" She threw her arms around Yuri's neck when she saw her girlfriend finally. Yuri her hair and whispered some words to hush her. 

"What's happened?" Yuri asked gently, hoping that she would not trigger Jessica's emotion again. 

Jessica breathed in and out, trying to calm herself down before she explained the full story to Yuri. "K-krystal is inside. Sh-she-" 

"Okay, okay. I get it. Sh... don't cry. She'll be alright." Yuri kept whispering and Jessica's hair. Later, Jessica stopped crying and became less tense in Yuri's embrace. Yuri guided her to the chair and sat next to the girl, holding her hand and pulling her head to rest against her shoulder. "Where's Amber by the way?" Yuri asked, searching around and Jessica jerked up. 

"! She can't be reached! How? Yul? How?" Jessica's lips quivered again and Yuri had to calm her down. 

"Shh... it will be alright. I will bring her here. Okay? Can you stay here first?" She asked softly, looking into Jessica's eyes and Jessica nodded. Yuri used her thumb to wipe away the tears on her girlfriend's cheeks before she stood up and started running away. She was going to Amber's company and dragged her here. How could she not be there when her wife was delivering and her life was at stake?