Chapter 32

Turning Point

"Hey, don't think too much." Jonghyun sighed after taking a seat beside Krystal. He bumped Krystal's knee with his and gave a cheeky smile, hoping to cheer Krystal up. Krystal flashed a small smile and shook her head. "It's getting late now, aren't you going to sleep?" He asked when the girl did not speak. Krystal looked up at the clock on the wall and nodded. 

"Soon." She said. Jonghyun stayed by her side quietly and he watched as Krystal walk to the window, placing her hands on the frame and looking out. The night breeze made her hair float in the air and Jonghyun was once again mesmerized by her. He remained quiet and looked at the girl who was busy thinking of all the possibilities. 

"Do you want to rest first?" Krystal asked, not looking at him but out of the window. The moon was high up and she could hear the crickets sound. 

Jonghyun jutted his lower lip out and then nodded. "Okay. You sleep early too." Then he got up and moved to the guest room that was prepared by himself. He did not want Krystal to do all the manual work. Before he closed the door, he gave one last look at the girl and saw her shoulders quivering, she was crying. "Silly girl..." All he knew was that his heart felt equally heavy as the crying girl outside. 

 

 

Suzy had made it clear for Amber that she was not allowed to call Krystal or meet Krystal, just no interaction. She made all the calls to Amber be diverted to her line and that way, she would know if Krystal called Amber. She did not like the idea of them meeting up secretly behind her back too. Other than going to work, Amber was not allowed to leave home without Suzy by her side. 

There was no love anymore. Amber was sick of Suzy but she could not show it, she did not want to see her company crumbling down because of her seflish act. She loved Krystal, she was certain but she did not want everything that her ancestors had built to be ruined in the hand of an outsider. Her mind was still clear. 

"Are you going to work now?" Suzy asked, adjusting Amber's tie and Amber rolled her eyes to look away. "You're saying the obvious." She said flatly. Suzy's smile faded away a little but then she put it on again, "alright, be safe. I love you." Amber cringed when Suzy said the words and she shivered when Suzy gave her a peck on the lips. It disgusted her. 

Without further ado, Amber grabbed her briefcase and sauntered out of the house. It was a house, not a home. Her home was taken away from her. The thought of it made Amber tighten her grips on the steering wheel, the more she thought, the angrier she got. "Argh!" She grunted and smacked the wheel using her fist, it hurt her hand but her heart ached more. 

She took out her phone, wanted to send Krystal a text but she knew better not to do it. She did not know what Suzy was capable of doing. Frustrated, she threw her phone on the passenger seat and drove away. She had never thought that this day would come. She thought she had Suzy in control but the girl turned the table on her, without giving her a slightest warning. How the heck did she meet Hoya? She did not know Hoya very well but he knew that their family background was not a clean one. 

Once she reached her company, she was called into the chairwoman's office and Lay accompanied her. Amber was still clueless of what was going on and she asked if Lay knew but Lay shook his head. Mrs Liu asked Amber to take a seat first and instructed Lay to wait outside the office. Somehow, the atmosphere did not feel right. 

"Amber, do you know why did I call you here?" Mrs Liu asked sternly, her hand holding onto a file and Amber's gaze shifted on the thin file. She shook her head hesitantly and she prayed that it was not her nightmare. Mrs Liu tossed the file onto Amber's lap and asked her to take a good look at it. "We've lost the distributorship of the Lee! Why is that so?" 

Amber was shocked to know the news and she immediately flipped through the file. Her mind went blank when she read the amount that they had lost over a night. US$13 billion. "I... I have no idea, Mrs Liu." She said, still in a daze and Mrs Liu slammed the table with her palm. 

"How can you not know what is going on? Amber, are you even the president of the company? Do you know what you're doing!" 

"I really have no idea grandma-"

"We're in the company." 

"I really have no idea, Mrs Liu. We were on a good term with the Lee all along and they just suddenly terminate our contract!" Amber explained in a fluster

"It must be something you've done. Think, Amber. What have you done?" Mrs Liu questioned and narrowed her eyes to look at her granddaughter. It was not just a normal contract, if they lost it, they had to compensate even and the sum of money was not a joke. They might have to sell their company to cough out the money. The thousands of employees would lose their jobs and their famillies would suffer. 

Amber's lips were quivering and her eyes were roaming the paper. She knew why. She understood the reason behind it. It was all Suzy. She had underestimated her, she did not know that the girl would take action so quickly. "Grandma, give me a week. I will settle it in a week." 

Mrs Liu pressed her lips together and looked away from Amber. "go." 

Amber got up and bowed before she left the room. "What's wrong?" Lay asked as they strode back to Amber's office. 

"Meeting in 10 minutes time. Go!" Amber stated and Lay ran off hastily, gathering everyone at the conference room while Amber headed back to the office. 

The clock was ticking. Amber still had no idea of how to handle the situation. She looked at her watch and saw that she had one minute left to the meeting. Amber got up and grabbed just her handphone before running to the conference room. When she reached, she saw that everyone was already there and murmuring, she coughed to quieten them. 

"I am sorry to have interrupted your work." Amber said it loud and clear. Lay clasped his hands in front of his body and noticed that something was not right. He looked out for Amber and silenced everyone when they started buzzing off again. Amber nodded at Lay slightly before clearing again. "I have to inform you that... our company is facing a crisis now." 

"Didn't we handle it already?" Mr Park said from far end of the table. 

Amber her dry lips and nodded. "We did. But this time, is different." 

"What do you mean?" Mr Song asked. 

"The Lee has withdrawn our contract and cancelled our distributorship. We've just lost US$ 13 billion and there is a compensation on top of that." Amber stated calmly. She had to remain calm. 

Lay was surprised by it too but he had to calm the buzzing crowd. "Everyone settle down please!" 

The murmurs ended eventually and Amber surprised everyone when she lowered her head to bow at them. "I am asking a favour from each of you. Please work closely with me for a week. I only have a week before the lawsuit begins. I only have a week to get back the contract. I really need your help. Each and everyone of you." 

For the entire 3 to 5 minutes, Amber did not raise her head and the room was completely silent with no one brave enough to utter a sound. They had doubts. What could Amber do to save the company? If the news were to spread to the public, all the other partners would turn their backs on them, there would be no one they could rely on. 

"What... are you going to do?" Ryeowook asked carefully, breaking the long silence and Amber finally raised her head. She looked at Ryeowook and forced out a smile. 

"Arrange a meeting with Lee Minho. I believe we have something to settle." Amber said to Lay. 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica scoffed after Krystal was done telling her what had happened. Jonghyun was there too and he clenched his fists as it angered him more than anything. He could not believe that Amber was such a coward. But he knew he would not understand the consequences if Amber was to defy Suzy. Krystal dabbed on her eye after narrating her nightmare. 

"Don't you cry, understand?" Jessica said sternly and Krystal's hair. "I am going to call oppa here. Jonghyun, can you?" She looked at Jonghyun and Jonghyun nodded. He got up and walked to the window to call his boss. 

Once he was done, he returned to the sofa and told Jessica that Yunho said he would be here in 30 minutes time. "Has she called?" Jessica asked. 

Krystal shook her head. "I don't think Suzy let her..." 

"That bloody . Do you know where she lives?" 

"No..." Krystal sighed again, she realised that she was the one losing this battle. 

"Yah, what's that face? Don't you dare cry okay? Crying is not good for the baby. I am here for you." Jessica said and held Krystal's hand. She rubbed on the back of Krystal's palm and gave her an assuring nod. 

"Did she tell you what to do, anyway?" Jonghyun asked, interlocking his own fingers together and placing his hands in between his legs. 

"She told me to wait for her." Krystal said. "Even if it means ten years." 

"What? Is she crazy? What about the baby?" Jessica questioned with her high pitch voice. 

Krystal looked down and rubbed on her belly. "I don't know. But I promised her I will wait."  Jessica scoffed and looked away. She could not believe how ridiculous it would be for Krystal to wait for Amber for ten years. Or more, since Amber was not certain. 

"What if she never returns?" Jonghyun asked, he was hoping for a slightest chance and he knew he was being selfish to think that way. 

"I will still wait." Krystal said. 

"But it is not healthy for the baby to grow up in a broken family." Jonghyun stated. 

Krystal smiled at him bitterly and said, "I have her pictures. I can tell our baby that Amber is her mother too." 

"Krystal, you're not in your right state of mind now." Jessica said. "I mean, she left you because of her wealth. Do you think she really loves you? And don't forget that Suzy and her are old flames. The fire will reignite any time." 

The words struck her so hard but Krystal knew that they were true. "I trust her." 

"It is not about trust, you see. Did she give you any assurance? No, the two of you are not even married!" Jessica said, flailing her arms in the air. 

"She said she loves me." Krystal smiled. She felt the warmth on her lips that Amber had left when she reminisced the kiss. 

"Yeah, Yuri said she loves me too but she is not here with me today even when I asked her to bring me here." Jessica mumbled. "But, let's not talk about us. We're talking about you." 

"You're the one talking about her." Krystal mumbled back. Jessica clicked her tongue and told Jonghyun to bring Yunho up since he would be here any time soon. 

"do you want to call her?" Jessica asked, passing Krystal's phone to her. 

"I don't think so. Lay called and told me not to call Amber." Krystal stated. 

"What? Is she cutting all the ties with you now?" Jessica questioned, her face flushed with anger.

"No. Because Suzy would know." 

Jessica calmed down slightly and nodded. "Okay. Let me think of a way." 

Krystal just nodded as she knew there was no other way. There was no way that she could hear Amber's voice or see her face again unless everything ended. Then Jessica suddenly snapped her fingers loudly and shocked Krystal. "I know what to do!" She grinned at Krystal and took out her phone. 

"What are you doing?" Krystal asked, frowning when she saw Jessica looking through her contact and keying in some numbers into her own phone. 

"Calling Amber duh." Jessica replied while tapping on the screen. "You can use my number and she won't find out!" 

"But she recognises my voice." Krystal sighed. 

"I will call and you will talk, duh." Jessica looked at her sister as if she was dumb. 

"But, she has heard of your voice before too." 

"AISH! What the-" 

The bell rang and the lift door opened, revealing two men and Jessica snapped her fingers again. "Your saviour is here!" 

 

 

"Yoboseyo?" 

"Oh hello. I am calling from the Jung enterprise and may I speak to Ms Liu please?" Yunho said carefully and he nodded at the three who were listening to the conversation attentively, telling that that it was Suzy who picked up the call. 

"oh... okay. I will transfer the call to her." 

The line was held for a few seconds before it was picked up by a lazy and tired voice. "yoboseyo?"

"You lil bastard- hey i am not done scolding her!" "-Amber?! This is Jessica. You stupid fool-" 

"Amber, it's me." Krystal said after snatching the phone from her older siblings. She heard shuffling sound over the phone and knew Amber was surprised by her call too. 

"Krystal?! Oh god, I miss you so much. How are you?"  She sounded worried and relieved at the same time

"I am fine. How about you?" 

"Not fine. Something... happened." 

"What's the matter?" 

"Suzy has made her move. We've just lost huge sum of money and I only have a week to save the company. Krystal, I wish you were here with me..." 

"What..? Why is she doing that? Didn't I back down already?" Krystal was angry at Suzy because she didn't keep to her words. But she didn't sound that angry because she was not the type of person who would express her anger. 

"I know. But I think she wants more. I have a meeting with Hoya's brother tomorrow and I hope he'd help us." 

"I hope so too. How did she do it..." 

"I am thinking that she must have asked Hoya to do it and Hoya just listened to her. What a useless crap." 

"You better be careful, okay? I don't want her to hurt you." 

"I am supposed to say that. You stay at home, okay? don't go anywhere. Can you let me talk to J-Jessica?" 

"Okay- unnie, Amber wants to talk to you." 

Jessica pointed to herself and then took the phone in her hand when Krystal passed it to her. "What?" 

"Jessica, I am sorry. I am really sorry. I failed to keep my words. But I am asking a favour from you. Please look after Krystal well and never leave her alone. I don't want her to get hurt. Please keep her safe." 

"I don't need you to tell me that. I will protect her because she is my sister. And you, better settle everything as soon as possible and not let Krystal wait for you for your ridiculous ten years, you hear me?" 

"I... will do my best." 

Jessica didn't reply anymore and passed the phone back to Krystal. "H-hello?" 

"Hey Krystal, I am sorry. But I have to go now. I would love to talk to you-"

"I understand. Go. I am fine." Krystal smiled to herself. 

"Alright... Take care. I... hope to see you soon."

"Mmm. You take care too." 

"I love you." 

"I... love you too." Krystal whispered and the other three were surprised by it. They didn't know that the two were in the stage where they would say the three words to each other. But jonghyun was sour over it. 

Krystal hung up first and returned the phone to Yunho. Yunho took it in his hand and looked at Krystal. "Are you okay?" 

"I have to be okay, right?" Krystal smiled

"You have oppa okay? Don't think too much." Yunho assured and patted Krystal's head. 

Krystal just nodded and left her older siblings to discuss about her and Amber while Jonghyun stood by her side. They were looking out of the window and Jonghyun sighed which caught Krystal's attention. "What's wrong?" 

"There's something I want to tell you since a long time ago." Jonghyun said, looking at Krystal sincerely. 

Krystal frowned and waited for Jonghyun to continue. 

"Krystal Jung, I know you can sense it. I am not forcing you into anything but, I like you. Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to interfere your relationship with Amber while the two of you are at the worst. I just... want to show you that I care." Jonghyun said carefully. He studied Krystal's face and saw the girl hesitating. "You don't have to say anything. I know that you love her. I am not trying to break the two of you up any further. I just want to help you through the dark." 

"Oppa..."

"I don't even ask for a chance... because I know I won't ever have it. I just want you to know how I feel so that I don't have to hide it from you every time I am around you. I want to show you that I care." Jonghyun said. "And I will be by your side, I will wait with you for Amber to come back. Please?" 

Krystal contemplated and conflicted within herself. She was touched by Jonghyun's sincerity but she only loved Amber, what's more was that Jonghyun didn't press her to give him a chance and just asked to remain as friend to care for her. But she knew that if Amber came back, he would have to leave and that was as good as using him in the absence of Amber. She did not know what to do. 

"We are friends. Friends help each other in times of crisis, right?" Jonghyun grinned. 

Everything was clear to Krystal then, she smiled and nodded. Jonghyun too, smiled but was closed to tears because Krystal had just showed him that he would never stand a place in Krystal's heart. 

 

 

 

 

 

A LITTLE CRAPPY BECAUSE I AM SLEEPY. SORRY.