Chapter 31

Turning Point

"Hey Amber," Suzy greeted happily while tapping on Amber's shoulder. Amber turned her head around upon hearing the familiar voice and she frowned deep when she saw Suzy, smiling brightly at her. Her eyes fell on the person standing next to Suzy, Lee Hoya. She got into a staring contest with Hoya and it stopped only when Krystal nudged her, telling her that Suzy was talking to her. 

"Do you mind if we share the table?" Suzy asked, smiling sweetly and hands on Amber's neck and shoulder. Amber shivered at the contact and she looked at Krystal who let her hair cover her face as she ate, a habit that Amber had learnt which told her Krystal was upset. Amber nodded reluctantly and Suzy waited no time to plop herself down opposite Amber. Hoya followed after Suzy and sat opposite Krystal. He was curious of the girl since he hadn't seen her face, yet. 

"Why are you here?" Amber asked, her voice coarse because she could not really project her voice when she was looking at the person she dreaded the most. 

Suzy raised her brows and chuckled lightly. "Can't I come here to shop, too?" Amber shifted in her seat uncomfortably and Suzy added, " Hoya oppa made time for me and accompanied me. Do you mind?"

Amber wanted to shake her head so badly but she knew what did Suzy want as an answer. "Why are you together with him?" She said with a frown that disgusted herself. Why did she act like she was jealous?

It delighted Suzy when she saw that Amber was being sour over it, she giggled softly while covering . "Oppa doesn't mind spending time with me and I was lonely at our home because I thought you were working." She said and looked at Krystal with narrowed eyes. However, Krystal was not bugged by it since she was quietly eating. Hoya called the waitress and ordered his food, he asked if Suzy wanted any and Suzy told Amber to order for her. After the waitress had left, Amber coughed to clear the stillness in the air. 

"I took a leave because Krystal has to buy new clothes." Amber explained, sipping on the mango juice that Krystal had ordered together. She let her finger brush against Krystal's hand under the table quietly and felt Krystal avoiding her. 

"Can't she go alone?" Suzy asked, her face was annoyed. Hoya observed the tension among the three and he knew Amber was the reason why Suzy was holding back. He knew Amber. The Liu's was the fifth most influential family in Asia even though their company stood top three. Wealth did not mean everything. His brother was a political figure and he was a successor to his family business. His family owned electronic device production factory, software development company and had a fair share of global food production factory. To sum it up, he was rich. 

However, he was jealous of Amber. In the business world, everyone had heard of Amber's name. She was said to be a 'gifted genius'. The previous crisis that they had in the company was solved in no time by Amber and it was applauded by many of the business figures. Even Hoya's father did not hesitate to compliment her in the press conference. Hoya, on another hand, was forced to learn the things that he had no interest in because his brother did not want to take on the role as chairman. He poked his cheek with his tongue as he studied Amber. 

"I said do not raise your voice at her." Amber gritted her teeth and stared at Suzy. Suzy folded her arms and sat back on the chair. Hoya stopped his train of thoughts and he asked if Suzy was okay but she returned a glare instead. He turned and saw Amber asking Krystal not to mind a dog's bark and it was the first time he saw Krystal's face. 

"Who is she?" Hoya asked. As far as he knew, Amber had a fiancee and a girlfriend who was Suzy. But he had never seen her fiancee's face. 

Amber looked at Hoya without any expression for a moment before she answered flatly. "Krystal Jung, my fiancee." 

Hoya nodded and he eyed Krystal curiously. His gaze stopped when he saw the belly, "is she pregnant?" 

"Do you have to ask the obvious?" Amber asked irritably and Krystal was a little scared that a fight might break out between the two. 

"I am sorry." Hoya apologised half-heartedly and was wondering how did Krystal end up being pregnant. "But may I ask, how many months already?" 

Amber scoffed and did not want to answer so Krystal replied meekly. "Five." Amber looked to her left at Krystal and then at Hoya, she did not like the way Hoya kept asking about Krystal. "Please excuse us. Let's go." She said to the two opposite her and pulled Krystal's hand to get up from her seat. Suzy who was sulking before that immediately stood up and followed after Amber who was paying for the meal at the counter. "What is it?" Amber asked, she was trying to be patient but Suzy kept pushing it. 

Hoya joined up and paid for the meal that they hadn't even touched. "Suzy?" He called out, tugging on Suzy's arm.

Amber saw that Suzy had nothing to say and kept staring at her so she just walked out of the restaurant with Krystal. She placed her arm around Krystal's shoulders to protect her just in case Suzy would do anything stupid and crazy. "Amber Liu!" Suzy screamed when Amber was walking away from her. It attracted some shoppers' attention and Hoya apologised to them before he caught up with Suzy who had stormed to Amber.

Krystal was horrified when Suzy gave a slap across her face. "." Suzy spat, Amber was fuming beside her already and she pulled Krystal behind her before pushing Suzy by the shoulder. "What the ?" Amber said, looking at Suzy as if she had gone insane. Krystal held her stinging cheek with her palm while the other was clinging onto Amber's shirt tightly, just in case Amber would do anything rashly. 

"You want to talk? Okay, come on. Let's go somewhere and talk. Don't disgrace yourself in the public." Amber hissed and she walked away, knowing that Suzy would catch up with her. Amber put both her hands on Krystal's shoulders, shielding her with her body as she was scared that Suzy might attack on Krystal again. 

Amber murmured apologies to Krystal on their way to the rooftop garden in the shopping mall. Krystal just smiled and said it was okay, it broke Amber's heart to see her getting humiliated like that. Soon, Suzy barged into the garden with Hoya trailing behind her. She screamed at the few people to get out and they rebuked her quietly before they left. 

After making sure that the place was empty, only with them, Suzy stepped up in front of Amber and Krystal again. "I warned you, Amber." 

Krystal was trying to remain firm but her knees were weak because she was afraid of Suzy. She lowered her head and hid behind Amber quietly. Amber stared at Suzy and said, "I know. So?" 

"Aren't you scared?" Suzy asked pompously, challenging Amber's patience. 

"of what?" Amber retorted.

"Everything that you have will be gone in a night." Suzy smirked. "Including her." She pointed to Amber's back with a look of disgust. 

"You're insane." Amber snapped. 

Hoya looked between Suzy and Amber, he had no idea of what was going on. "Suzy?" 

Suzy took a deep breath in to force a smile on her face before turning to look at Hoya. "yes?" 

"What's going on?" Hoya asked, he sympathized Krystal when he noticed the fear on her face. 

"You know what? This is Amber Liu, my girlfriend who has a fiancee." Suzy said, uttering the words out clearly. "She wants a break-up with me because she has fallen for her. Not to add on that she's cheated on me when we're still in a relationship. What do you think, oppa?" 

Hoya scratched his cheek even though it was not itchy at all. "Hm...cheating is not good?" 

"Oppa, will do you anything that I ask you to?" Suzy asked, not looking at Hoya but Amber, as if she was telling her that trouble was coming with that smirk on her face. 

"of course." Hoya said eagerly. 

Amber had never thought that the two words could sound so intimidating. She gulped quietly and conflicted within herself. 

"Even if I ask you to bring someone down?" Suzy added, her smirk was confident, showing Amber that she would be winning the game no matter what. 

Hoya contemplated for a while before he nodded. "Yes." 

"What do you want?" Amber hissed softly, trying to stay as calm as possible. 

Suzy's smirk disappeared on her lips and she placed her hands on each of Amber's shoulders, leaning closer to her ear and whispered, "I want you to break off your engagement with her and be with me." Amber could feel the chills running down her spine and she had never thought that Suzy would be this crazy. She was even scared of her now. 

"Are you crazy?" Amber questioned when Suzy pulled away. 

"Think before you say, Am." Suzy smiled. 

Amber clenched her fists and tightened her jaws. She did not want to break off her engagement with Krystal but she did not want to bring the company down too. She did not want to see the hardwork of her ancestors getting ruined in her hand. "Let me talk to her, alone." Amber said, referring to Krystal who was standing behind her. 

Suzy gave a mere glance at Krystal and nodded. She knew she would win this anyway. But she did not know that Hoya was disgusted by her as he realised that she was using him to get Amber. Even though he liked her, he would not want to be used and thrown away after Amber and Suzy got together in the end. However, he just remained silent because he still wanted Suzy. 

 

 

"Krystal." Amber's voice cracked when she started speaking. They were at the corner of the garden, some distance away from Hoya and Suzy. Krystal was still unclear of what was coming because she did not catch what Suzy had whispered to Amber. But the look on Amber's face told Krystal that it was not something good. She felt her heart getting heavier when Amber seemed to have troubles finding words to say. 

"What does she want?" Krystal asked in her dry voice. She told herself to get ready of what was coming but the words that slipped from Amber's mouth was too destructive. She could not cushion the impact of the words and her heart tightened as Amber went on and on. 

"She wants us... to break off our engagement. She doesn't want to let me go. Krys, I don't know what to do. If I don't do as she says, the company will fall. If I do as she says, you will fall." 

Amber looked into Krystal's eyes and saw they were damping with tears. Her heart broke and could feel her eyes getting wetter too. "I... have to make a decision, Krystal." 

Krystal kept nodding because she did not want Amber to go on. At the tone of Amber's voice, she could tell what had Amber decided. Amber was unwilling to go on and her heart broke even further when she saw the first tear trickling down Krystal's cheek. She caught it before it dropped and she cupped Krystal's face gingerly. Krystal refused to look at her. Then, the second tear fell and Amber's first tear streamed down. She did not know that making a decision could be so hard. She was taught to make final decision swiftly but this time, she could not. She did not have the heart to tear Krystal's world apart. She knew that Krystal had reciprocated her love even though they had never said 'I love you' to each other before. 

"Soojung," Amber whispered with her eyes shut, placing her forehead against Krystal's, her thumbs caressing each of her cheeks tenderly. "I am sorry." Krystal pressed her lips together to stop them from quivering and nodded. "I promise it will only be awhile. I will find a way out. I promise." Amber continued. She opened her eyes to look at Krystal again and saw that the girl was already looking at her through her tears that were falling one by one. "I have to say this." Amber managed to put a smile on her lips. Krystal nodded again. "I... I am in love with you." Amber said gently in a voice like a whisper. Krystal's tears fell even faster after Amber said it and she threw her arms around Amber's neck and Amber drew Krystal closer to her body, they hugged each other tightly, forgetting about the world and Suzy who was glaring at them from a corner. 

"I l-love you too." Krystal uttered out softly and Amber's smile grew wider as she heard the words that she had longed for. Amber felt Krystal nuzzling her neck and she inhaled the girl's scent, afraid that she might not be able to wrap Krystal in her arms in any time soon. They only broke away when Krystal felt the baby kicking, as if she was protesting that her parents were hugging too tightly that it suffocated her. But she did not know that her parents would be separated soon. 

"Wait for me." Amber said earnestly while looking into Krystal's eyes. She placed a hand behind Krystal's head and pulled her nearer to her face, she gave a soft peck on the lips that lingered for a few more seconds. Krystal's heart was palpitating and she could feel the butterflies in her stomach, she wished that the kiss would last forever but she knew they had to break it soon. They had to learn to let go. 

"I will." Krystal assured and she mustered up her courage within her to caress Amber on the cheeks. Amber placed her hand over Krystal's hand that was on her cheek and she pulled it closer to her lips to kiss it. 

Meanwhile, from the corner, Hoya was touched by the scene but he remained quiet because he knew that Suzy would not like it if he commented on it. Suzy was clenching her fists and burning with jealousy. But she told herself to brush it off since Amber would be hers from now on. 

"I will not break the engagement with you. Give me some time. Even if it means ten years. Will you?" Amber asked, knowing that she sounded selfish but she only wanted Krystal. 

Krystal nodded, looked back at Amber and said, "I will wait for you."

 

 

 

Suzy did not allow Amber to send Krystal home and Amber told Krystal to call Jonghyun to fetch her home. Jonghyun rushed to the shopping mall immediately and picked Krystal up. Hoya had to leave alone because Suzy told him to go home first. He was heartbroken, of course but he liked Suzy. Amber drove Suzy home without saying a word in the car and crashed the bed immediately once they reached home. Suzy was unhappy, of course but she decided to give Amber some time to think carefully. 

"She left you here?" Jonghyun asked, angrily. 

"She didn't have a choice." Krystal explained. They were on a cab going back since Jonghyun did not ride his motorbike to the shopping mall. Krystal sighed as she replayed the scene in her mind. Amber left too suddenly. They were just okay the night before and now, everything was out of her grasp. Amber even promised her that she would bring her for a walk on the beach but it looked like it was not possible now. 

"Are you okay?" Jonghyun heard Krystal's sigh and noticed the frown on her face. "Is there anything wrong?" 

Krystal clenched her jaws and forced a smile later, "Nothing." 

Jonghyun gave her the benefit of the doubt and nodded. He knew that even if he pressed on, Krystal would not say a word if she did not want to. "You moved house?" He asked when he remembered that Krystal gave another address to the driver. 

"Hm." Krystal hummed and looked out of the window. "Amber bought it."

"So the two of you are living together now?" Jonghyun asked

Krystal was silent for a second and she shook her head. "We were, yesterday. But, now..." 

"She's leaving you alone in the house?" Jonghyun probed 

"She doesn't have a choice." Krystal explained and she could feel her heart squeezing as she recalled the scene just now. 

Jonghyun bit her finger on the knuckle as he did not understand why did Krystal keep saying that Amber did not have a choice. "I suggest you call your sister to live with you, first. It is dangerous for a pregnant lady to live alone." 

Krystal just nodded and Jonghyun grunted silently. He fished out his phone and dialled to Jessica. Krystal did not care when Jonghyun helped her to do the work. She was still too overwhelmed by what happened just now. "Jessica-noona, this is Jonghyun. Ah yes. Oh I wanted to ask if it's possible for you to stay with Krystal in Seoul as soon as possible because... I think something happened between them. Yeah. I don't quite know... Alright. Sure." 

He ended the call and faced Krystal. "Noona said she'll be coming down tomorrow. She told me to stay over for a night first. And... she doesn't sound very happy." 

Krystal just nodded, again. Jonghyun understood that Krystal might not be in her right state and he did not push Krystal. He remained quiet for the rest of the car ride until they reached Krystal's house. He asked Krystal to have a rest first as he helped her to wash the new clothes. Krystal just uttered a soft thank you to him and went to the bedroom. Everything was messed up now.