Chapter 3

Turning Point

"Argh..." Krystal groaned as she stirred in the bed, her back hurt from lying in the same position for too long. 

"How are you feeling now soojungie?" Krystal heard a familiar voice asking her and her eyelids opened gradually. Someone with black hair and tanned skin was hovering on top of her and checking if she was alright. 

"I am okay Yuri unnie..." Krystal managed to say out with her hoarse voice. 

"Whose baby is it?" Another cold voice asked from another side of the room. 

"Where am I?" Krystal asked and got up with the help of Yuri. Yuri placed a pillow behind Krystal's back and adjusted the height of the bed. "You're in the hospital. You fainted." Yuri said and poured a glass of water for Krystal. 

"Krystal Jung, I asked you whose baby is it!" Krystal turned to the source of voice and realised that her sister was fuming badly at the corner of the room. She furrowed her brows as she couldn't understand why her sister was looking so furious. 

Jessica stormed towards the bed and almost grabbed Krystal by the collar but fortunately, Yuri managed to hold her back. "I am asking you one last time. Whose baby is it!" Her fierce glare pierced through Krystal's eyes and she shivered. 

"I don't know what you are talking about unnie." Krystal said, baffled. She was looking like a lost child and was scared to see her sister so angry at her. 

"Sica-ah, calm down. Didn't we say that we will talk nicely to her? C'mon.." Yuri said soothingly and Jessica shut her eyes as she took in a deep breath. 

"Fine, I am out of it." She said and left the room, closing the door roughly. Krystal jumped up when she heard the loud noise and she looked at Yuri, hoping that the girl would tell her what's wrong. 

"Soojung-ah... tell me what happened. I promise I won't let your sister scold you okay?" Yuri said quietly after she sat down beside Krystal on the edge of the bed. Krystal's mouth was agape and her eyes were empty, she didn't know what all the fuss was about. 

"I... don't know what are you all talking about Yuri unnie." Krystal said, feeling a little worried about the whole situation now. 

"Look," Yuri sighed, she held Krystal's hand in hers and patted on the back of her hand before she continued. "You're pregnant and it's been seven weeks now. Tell me who is the father, alright?" 

Krystal was extremely baffled by the unexpected news. What did Yuri mean by she is pregnant? She has never done it with man before, how could the girl get her pregnant? She chuckled in disbelief and said,"I am pregnant? you're kidding right?" 

Yuri understood that the girl could be too overwhelmed by the news and she smiled gently, "This is what the doctor has said. Soojung, don't be afraid to tell me who's the father. I can help you." 

Krystal reached over to take the paper from Yuri and read every single word carefully and slowly. It was a fact. She was pregnant. That's why she missed her period for two months. That's why she always puked in the morning. That's why she got emotionally unstable nowadays. "Oh my god..." She muttered under her breath and thought about all that would happen to her if she was pregnant. 

She realised she wouldn't be able to complete her studies, she realised her future husband might not be happy if she carried a child with her and she realised that she held a huge responsibility from now on. "Yuri unnie..." She called out, her lips quivered and Yuri pulled her into an embrace before she started crying her heart out. 

"What's the point of crying now?" She heard her sister asking, her tone was slightly better. She felt Yuri shaking her head to tell her sister not to reprimand her or something, but she couldn't care much. She felt really scared now. 

"Who is the father?" Jessica asked along with her deep sigh. 

Yuri rubbed her back comfortingly and Krystal felt sorry for Yuri's blouse because it was all covered in her tears and whatever now. She pulled away and Jessica passed some tissue paper to her. "I... don't know.." Krystal said as she still sobbed. She couldn't tell them that she slept with a girl and a girl got her pregnant right? It would be too ridiculous and her sister might even place her in the mental hospital. 

"Did you drink? Were you drunk? Did he take advantage of you? Or were you ? Oh my god, Krystal, tell me who the heck is the father!" Jessica lost her cool again and Yuri had to stand up to calm her down. 

"Sica please." Yuri said sternly and held onto Jessica's shoulders. Jessica nodded and looked away. "Soojung, please, too." Yuri looked at Krystal pleadingly. 

Krystal bit her bottom lip as she comtemplated whether to spill the truth or not but she didn't want to sound ridiculous. "Can you get the doctor in now?" she requested. Yuri looked at the girl for awhile first before she nodded and left the room. Jessica was sitting on the couch and the room was utterly quiet. Krystal felt uncomfortable as she knew that her sister was not pleased. 

"How are you feeling now Ms Jung?" The doctor asked as he strode into the room, with Yuri and a nurse trailing behind. 

"I am fine." Krystal said as the doctor went to check on her. 

"Take good care of the baby alright?" The doctor smiled and clapped his hand together

Krystal nodded and her lip before she asked, "doctor... there's something I want to ask you." 

Jessica's head shot up and Yuri's ears perked up. They waited for Krystal to continue and the doctor nodded. 

"Is it possible, for a girl... to get a girl preg-pregnant?" Krystal asked meekly. She knew that her sister and Yuri might be thinking that she was insane but heck, she was being truthful. The doctor frowned and looked as if he was in deep thought. 

"Well, that puts me in deep thought. You know, anything is possible. From what I have known, the possibility of it is one in a trillion. There has never been a case like this yet. But there was such a case in a species of animal. The scientists are still finding out why. Wait, are you saying that... a girl got you pregnant?" the doctor asked

Krystal nodded slowly with her head held low and Jessica's eyes almost buldged out. Yuri's jaw dropped to her feet and she shook her head in disbelief. It ridiculed her. 

"That's... amazing." The doctor said and looked as if he was in awed. He jotted down some notes on the paper and left the room after asking if there's anything else. 

After the room was left with the trio again, Krystal sipped on her water to avoid the awkwardness in the room. The two grown girls were staring at her as if she was some kind of rare species. It made her feel uncomfortable and scared. 

"Krystal, you have to tell me who is that girl." Jessica finally said after awhile. 


Amber's POV

Work and work and work. I seriously have no life. A week ago, I broke up with Suzy because I felt extremely guilty for cheating on her. We have promised each other that we would give each other our first time after we get married, but now, the stupid girl ruins it all. I hate to see that Suzy was willing to accept me still even after I have broken my promise. I can't stand her. Why does she always have to give in to me? It frustrates me to a point that I can't stand her anymore, I still love her but I can't bring myself to face her. 

The only thing I can do now is to work and drown myself in all these documents that are waiting for me to sign and look through. It is great, at least I can forget about all those unhappy thoughts. 

*knock knock* 

I look up to see my grandma standing by the door. She looks displeased and I know the reason why. She has been telling me not to overwork and she knows about my break up with Suzy. I mean, she has never really liked Suzy before then shouldn't she be happy that I broke up with Suzy? 

"Amber," she calls out sternly and I have to look up from the files again to meet her eyes. "Come with me." She says and waits for me to get up. But I refuse to, "I still have lots of work to do grandma." 

She strides across the huge room and grabs my pen away from me. "This is an order from the chairperson of ALNO company." 

I roll my eyes and press my lips together as I push myself up from the chair. Unless I want to be sacked, I will have to obey her order even if I am her granddaughter. 

 

Here we are, sitting in a small cafe. Grandma went to order my favourite cappuccino and I am playing with my phone, checking Suzy's updates on Twitter. She has been feeling down recently, I know exactly why. I have my Twitter account too but I rarely tweet. 

Sometimes, you have to let something go in order to gain something else. 

I tap the send icon to tweet and look out of the window. I can see people walking on the street, some taking photos, some couples holding hands, some rushing to their workplace and a few students strolling their way to god knows where. 

"Amber, you should stop being this way." Grandma's voice pulls me back to reality.

I hold up my phone and see a reply from Minho on Twitter. 

Talk to us soon bro. We miss you!

I chuckle softly and reply a quick 'ok' before I return my attention to my grandma who is looking at me under her scrutinizing stare. "Mrs Liu, I don't really want to talk about it." I smile at her cheekily. 

"Now will you stop calling me Mrs Liu and call me grandma? You this kid." She shakes her head and looks to my back, it is probably the waitress serving us but I don't care. 

"Your drinks ma'am," a soft voice speaks and the next thing I know, the cold cappuccino is spilled all over my trouser and it gives me a huge shock. I am extremely lucky that grandma didn't order a hot drink or I would have been dead! 

"YOU!" I stand up as I slam my fist on the table, making the utensils on the table shake and clink. 

"I am s-sorry," she looks down and her hair is all over her face, not like I want to see her face. 

"Bloody !" I say as I grab the napkin on the table to wipe my trouser. "Get your manager here! NOW!" I scream to her and continue to wipe the stain away even though it is no use. 

"Krystal! What happened?" another person comes to the table and I suppose the clumsy girl is named Krystal. 

"Are you her manager? Please, look at this idiot, how can she serve if she spills the fuc- I mean the stupid drinks on the customer's pants!" I reprimand, I almost used vulgarity but I remember grandma is here, she wouldn't be too pleased. 

"I am sorry, sir-"

"I am a girl." I correct her and throw the napkin on the table with a look of disgust as I stare at Krystal who is still holding her head lowly. 

 

Krystal's POV

It is her. Why is she here?! Does she know that I am working here? Does she know that I am pregnant with her baby and she wants the baby herself? Please, no. Don't snatch my baby away. 

I don't even dare to look up because I am scared that she will recognise me. I am scared. I hold onto Yuri unnie's arm tightly as she continues

"I am sorry, miss. But Krystal hasn't been in a good condition because she is-" 

"Krys!" I hear my sister's voice. Thank god. I feel so much relieved when my sister is around because she will protect me, I know that. 

"Now what!" she asks irritably and looks to the back, only to see a girl storming towards her and a tight slap is sent across her face at that instance. "Dafuq?!" She holds onto her burning cheek and stares at my sister. 

"Excuse me, I saw how you yell at her. I am her sister, talk to me if you want. Don't you dare touch her - wait, are you Amber Liu?" Jessica asks and I feel my heart skip a beat. 

Yes, we found out about her name when I passed Jessica the cheque that Amber gave me before she left that day. She is the ALNO's company successor. For goodness' sake, she has lots of money and she can do whatever that she wants. What if she wants to sue me for spilling the drinks on her trouser?!

"Yes I am. Who doesn't know me?" She asks arrogantly and pokes her inner cheek with her tongue. 

Then, that's when we notice there's a granny sitting calmly on the chair and sipping on her latte as she observes us. "Are you done, Amber? Sit down." She says almost serenely. She looks very amiable and I feel somewhat more relaxed when I see her. 

She beams me a soft smile after Amber slumps on the chair reluctantly. "I apologise on behalf of my granddaughter for making a scene in your cafe. Young lady, please be more alert and careful next time." She looks at me and I see Amber looking up at me as well. Her jaw drops and eyes widen as she sees me. My heart is in my mouth too and I can feel my knees go weak. 

 

No One's POV

Amber stared at Krystal for almost forever until Jessica cleared to get everyone's attention again. Krystal was feeling dead nervous inside her and she scolded herself for looking up, if she didn't, Amber wouldn't have seen her. "Amber Liu, we need to talk." Jessica pulled out a chair beside Amber and sat down immediately. 

"What?" Amber looked baffled and she thought Jessica was insane. Her right side of the face scrunched up as she looked at Jessica who was glaring at her. 

"Listen, Krystal, sit down." Jessica ordered Krystal to take a seat beside Amber as well and Yuri gave Krystal a push as Krystal wasn't paying attention, her mind was in a mess then. 

After Krystal had seated down beside Amber as well, Jessica smacked the table to get Amber's attention back. Then she started talking non-stop as if she had been practicing the speech that she was giving. 

"Listen up Amber Liu. I know everything that happened that day. You left my sister after you have taken away her innocence? Look this is not the way to do it. You just took away a girl's ity and tossed her what? A cheque to make it up? Even though you are not a guy,  you give her a consequence that is as heavy as a life to bear. And I am serious. You get her pregnant and then you decide to just run away? I mean, I am sure you wouldn't know that you can get her pregnant but this is a fact. The baby inside her bloody womb is yours. It is really bloody but whatever, you get what I mean? I need you to take the responsibility. Give your baby a father and give my sister her justice." Jessica took a sip of water on the table after she had ended. 

Amber, Krystal, Yuri as well as granny Liu were looking at her in amazement with their mouths agape slightly. They had never expected someone to talk so fast and it was impromptu as well. 

Then, Amber started laughing hysterically and she crouched over her knees as she laughed. Jessica was not amused then, she had to smack Amber on the head and Amber was of course infuriated. But her grandma was sitting there, she couldn't do anything to hurt a girl. "Are you kidding me? I am a girl, you know that right? How the heck can I get her pregnant? And, look at her-" Amber made a disgusted look as she glanced at Krystal, "She is so... unattractive, don't tell me that you are thinking of marrying her to me?" Then she chuckled sarcastically 

"What are you trying to say? My sister is beautiful okay? She just doesn't know how to doll up herself!" Jessica retorted and almost wanted to punch Amber in the face but luckily, Yuri managed to hold her down again. 

"I am laughing," Amber said and stifled her laughter. "She probably slept with some other men too like how she lured me into the bed and had with me." Amber mocked and rolled her eyes at Krystal when she saw that the girl's eyes were damped. 

"Amber," a mature voice cut off all the commotion and Amber looked to her opposite where her grandma was seated at. "Apologise to the girl." She said and Amber shot her a disbelief look. 

"No way!" Amber said and breathed out angrily as she stared at Krystal. 

Krystal didn't dare to look at Amber so she looked at her own hands that were on her thighs and tried her best to keep her tears back. "It's okay." She managed to croak out. 

"Young lady, may I know why are you saying that my granddaughter gets your sister pregnant?" Granny Liu turned to Jessica and asked politely. Her tone was soft and fair.

"We went to the doctor and had a check up. We found out that she was pregnant. But she said she has never done it with any guy before and the only person she slept with, is your granddaughter, halmoni." Jessica replied back in an equally politeful tone. 

Granny Liu nodded as she thought through about it. As far as she had lived, she had never known of a case which a girl got a girl pregnant. "This is rather shocking for me. And I am sure my granddaughter might have found it ridiculous so she has this outburst of emotion." she said

Amber ignored them and she was only glaring at Krystal like as if she was her worst enemy. "Yah you. Say something! Don't keep quiet there and try to gain my sympathy. I am not that stupid to raise a bastard that isn't even mine for god's sake." Amber threw the stained napkin right at Krystal's face and demanded an explanation from her. 

Krystal put the napkin back onto the table and signalled her sister not to do anything when she saw that her sister almost got up to punch Amber again. "I am really sorry for bothering your afternoon. It is okay if you don't want this baby because he is mine afterall. But please do not say that your own baby is a bastard. Thanks." She said, her voice broke a bit in between sentences as she tried to fight back her sob. Then, Krystal got up and wanted to leave the table but Granny Liu held her arm. 

"Stay. I need to find out what exactly happened too. And who said that we will not take the responsibility?" Granny Liu asked. 

"Grandma!" Amber whined a little and then she stood up angrily. "Fine. I am out of it. Take the baby if you want to even if he is not a Liu!" Then she stormed out of the cafe. 

Krystal was feeling embarrassed at what Amber had said to her and had acted. It was like as if she was a that slept with every guy and she didn't even know who is the father of the baby. She felt insulted, in front of a stranger, her sister, her sister's girlfriend and her co-workers. 

"Sit down young lady. Now, tell me more about yourself, can you?" Granny Liu asked with an affable smile and Krystal could only oblige. 

Jessica looked at Yuri when Yuri squeezed her shoulders. "Let's leave them to talk." Yuri whispered to Jessica and Jessica threw a quick glance at Krystal before she complied.