Ch24: Are You Kidding Me?

Between Me and You

“A double date?” Wonwoo asked suspiciously through the phone. Mingyu had called him for this favour. “Since when have you started dating again?” Mingyu smiled to himself slightly,

“After you and Kijoon got back together. I accepted a couple dates, but I really think I like this girl. Will you two please come?” Mingyu pulled a childlike voice rocking his body as if Wonwoo could see. “It will make things less awkward for me. Wonwoo puffed out his cheeks thinking,

“I’ll have to ask Kijoon, our first month anniversary thing is coming up and I think she’s expecting me to do something.” Wonwoo scratched the back of his head,

“Yeah she’ll be expecting something.” Mingyu confirmed knowing the situation better than Wonwoo. “Is it actually your one month? I’m guessing you aren’t including all the times you two have broken up for say three hours because of a pointless fight.” Mingyu laughed mocking his older.

Wonwoo was not impressed, “Haha, very funny. We never really break up we just... spend that time away from each other to recollect our thoughts.” He explained laying himself back on his bed. He heard Mingyu rustling around on the other side of the line.

“What was your last one about again?”

Wonwoo tipped his head back staring at his roof trying to think,

Kijoon sat smiling in Wonwoo’s lap playing with his hands. She went through a sequence a variety of times pulling his hands apart then jigsawing them together trying not to crush his fingers.”Wonwoo~” She sang folding her fingers over top of his. Her hands just barely covered all of the skin on his hands. He hummed in response his face vibrating lightly on her back. “Wonwoo why don’t you talk to me?”

Wonwoo’s head kicked up slightly, rubbing on Kijoon’s shirt. “What are you talking about? We talk all the time, everyday for hours.” Kijoon plopped both their hands in her lap sighing.

“No, that’s not what I mean. I usually do all the talking and you just listen. Why don’t you talk more?” Wonwoo returned his head to the spot on Kijoon’s back embracing the heat coming off her body.

“I don’t have anything to talk about.” He said simply catching her hands in his when she tried to pull them away. Kijoon fizzled to herself.

“You should talk more. I like hearing your voice. Tell me something about yourself that I don’t know.” She hopped from Wonwoo’s lap to the empty space in front of him. Wonwoo shrugged his shoulders holding up his hands with nothing to say. “Wonwoo~” Kijoon groaned letting her head loll back. “Why don’t you talk to me? Are you hiding secrets from me?”

Wonwoo didn’t have time to realize that Kijoon was using such a serious tone when she started firing questions.
“Is something wrong at home?”

“Do you not like me anymore?”

“Are you worried about school?”

“Why aren’t you talking to me?”

“Is Joheun talking to you again?”

When Wonwoo didn’t respond Kijoon took the answer to every question as yes. “It is Joheun! What did I tell you about her?! I don’t want you talking to her when you’re with me, and when I say with me I mean when you are in a relationship with me. How would you like it if I did something like that to you!?” She wailed throwing her arms in the air.

Wonwoo sat back watching his girlfriend throw a fit of her own about something that wasn’t even occurring. “Why do you always bring up the past? I’m not talking to her. I just don’t have anything interesting to talk about and you always do. Don’t bring up Joheun.”

Kijoon growled, “Why are you getting protective of her, huh?” She asked, “I can talk about whatever I want I don’t have to listen to what you say.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes. “Don’t do that. Don’t roll your eyes at me.”

Letting out a frustrated grunt Wonwoo leaned forward, “Joheun doesn’t mind it.” He teased in a not so playful way. Kijoon let her bottom jaw hang open while Wonwoo smirked. She stood up running her hands on her bum removing any dirt that may have caught onto her pants,

“And Mingyu didn’t mind when I kissed him just after we broke up.” She guffed leaving Wonwoo’s bedroom.

It was now Wonwoo’s turn to sit flabbergasted. He bolted after Kijoon. His door hit the wall violently while he grabbed Kijoon’s shoulders and pushed her against the closed front door. “You kissed him? When? What was I to you?” Kijoon pushed Wonwoo off her and pointed a finger,

“It was the past. Why do you have to bring up the past” She taunted in her generic boy voice. “What am I to you now then?” Kijoon snapped angrily.

“My girlfriend! I’m not going to go around talking to other girls constantly instead of talking to you. I don’t talk because I’d rather hear you go on about your life. Honestly right now my life revolves around you so I don’t have much to say that you don’t already know!” Wonwoo held his place with Kijoon shaking her head and walking out the door. “Where are you going?!” He belted down the hallway.

“Somewhere to think!” She yelled back not bothering to look back. Her hand waved in the air while she walked off.

Mingyu let out a mutter of disbelief, “SHE TOLD YOU?!” He said far too loudly into the phone’s mic. Wonwoo drew the phone away from his ear winking on eye from the screeching feedback.

“I know the whole story no need to explain,” He laughed. “She’s so melodramatic sometimes. It’s so frustrating.”

“Didn’t she get mad at you for talking too much as well?” Mingyu asked rolling over on the ground he was laying on. Wonwoo confirmed in an annoyed tone making Mingyu laugh once again, “Girls... So you up for that double date?” Wonwoo took a minute to process the information,

“Yeah, tonight right? I’ll convince Kijoon to come. Who are you with by the way?” Wonwoo asked, he could feel a smile growing on his face.

“It’s a secret,” He could hear Mingyu’s sly smile in his words.

“You .” He laughed, “Now hang up so I can call Kijoon about this date thing.” Mingyu agreed hanging up.

---

“I can’t believe we’re actually going out!” Kijoon giggled jumping up and down. Her hands were tightly locked around Wonwoo’s arm as they walked, “And I didn’t have to plan it. You’re making a step up!” Wonwoo stuck out his tongue making a pouty face after. “So Mingyu wouldn’t tell you who he’s bringing?” Wonwoo shook his head,

“Nope, it’s going to be a surprise for both of us.” Kijoon smiled up at him holding onto his arm tighter as people (especially teenage girls) passed. “What are you going to do if she’s prettier than you?” Wonwoo asked looking up and trying to hide his smile by biting his lips.

Kijoon’s head hung low as the thought, “Do you really think she’ll be prettier than me?” She whispered more to herself than to Wonwoo. Wonwoo watched the top of her head turning into the restaurant’s parking lot. Kijoon stopped him in front of the door clutching onto his collar with both hands. “Hey, Mr.” She said looking up half seriously half jokingly. “I don’t care how pretty this girl is, if you leave me because of this date I’m going to hate you forever.”

Wonwoo smiled hugging Kijoon around the head, “No one will be prettier than you.” He breathed into her ear kissing her forehead. Kijoon nuzzled into his chest for a moment until Wonwoo slung his arm around her shoulder walking them into the building.

There was a waiter standing behind a small podium of the soft lit restaurant. “We are part of a party of four reserved for Mingyu.” Wonwoo told the waiter confidently holding Kijoon at his side. He nodded politely walking them to a small booth towards the back. Kijoon caught Mingyu’s eyesight and he waved. Kijoon smiled waving back with her free hand.

She found herself looking at the back of a girl’s head. Curls were lightly sitting on top of her shoulders, the girl turned around and Kijoon was lost for words. She stopped in her tracks quickly looking up at Wonwoo who continued to stare blankly at Mingyu’s date, Joheun.