Ch15: An Eye for an Eye

Between Me and You

Kijoon kept looking over her shoulder. Something didn’t feel right. Ever since her second period she’d felt like people have been staring at her, which often enough they were. She stopped in front of her locker after school and opened it wide to have it slammed shut in her face once again.

"When did you and Wonwoo get together?" Joheun spat holding the locker door closed. Kijoon felt small in her presence.

"yesterday." she muttered trying to move her hand subtly.

Joheun snarled, "What do you think you’re doing to them? You’re ripping them apart. Weren’t you dating Mingyu a while yesterday?" Kijoon winced nodding her head. "You just left him heartbroken then? What is your problem?!" Kijoon was being backed up against a different set of lockers. "You’re a little hopper. I can’t be friends with someone who gets with a different guy right after the previous one." Joheun jabbed her finger in Kijoon's face.

Kijoon stood tall against the lockers behind her. "Stop" she said, Joheun clearly not listening. "Get away from me!" she screamed pushing her off and returning to her locker. Kijoon furiously exchanged the books in her bag and attempted to make her way downstairs to meet Wonwoo. Joheun followed her every step blocking her way. "We're friends! Why are you getting mad at me like this?" Kijoon yelled throwing her fist down in defeat.

Joheun gave a small laugh tilting back her head, "Why do you get it so easy? Huh?" she circled around Kijoon like a vulture around its prey. "The snap of your fingers and both Wonwoo and Mingyu will come crawling to your feet. That’s how in love with you they are." Joheun twirled a large chunk of Kijoon's hair together. "Why do you get to have both of them?"

Joheun's words were hitting Kijoon coldly. Kijoon brushed Joheun's hand away from her hair. "Why do you get to have both of them?" she repeated. "Answer me!" she yelled only stunning Kijoon. "You had a perfect life, the life so many girls here wish they could have. Mingyu cared so much about you and you threw it all away. He won’t even talk to any other girls now, you know that?" she hissed stopping back in front of Kijoon.

"Are you really all wound up because I hurt Mingyu when I didn't mean too?" Kijoon scoffed staring down Joheun. The latter held up her hands laughing once again.

"No, no, no. You stole Wonwoo from me." Kijoon raised an eyebrow. "Don’t look at me like that. You should’ve known I like him. Don’t you remember the campfire? I know you watched me kiss him. That’s why I had Mingyu stay with you the night. So you know who you belong to. But you just couldn’t stay away from Wonwoo could you?" Joheun pushed Kijoon's shoulder causing her to stumble backwards.

"I wish I had it as easy as you. That I could whine his name and he'd come to my side. Go on, do it. Call him. I know he's waiting for you." Kijoon looked at the door past Joheun. She really just wanted to run away from the whole situation. "You always get the guy Kijoon. Why don’t you call him? Let me see his face and let him see how weak you are when you're alone."

The door was literally a couple metres away. If Kijoon could just run down those stairs and Wonwoo would take her home she wouldn't have to deal with this anymore. "How is this going to benefit you? If anything won't you hurt more?" Joheun stepped less than two inches away from Kijoon,

"That’s why you have to hurt as well." Joheun didn’t waste time. Her hands were closed around her shoulders and her legs kicking in the back of her shins until Kijoon cried out in pain falling to the ground. She slid across the ground staggering to her feet. Joheun clawed at Kijoon's exposed arms with her long nails leaving red marks down them. Kijoon didn’t fight back as much as she could. She let Joheun blow her steam on her.

The numb feeling was settling into Kijoon's arms as she used them to defend her body against Joheun's full body attacks. "Fight back!" she screamed ripping Kijoon's hair. Kijoon only let out cries and whimpers using every will in her body to take every blow. "Damn you!" Joheun scream pushing Kijoon into the lockers. Kijoon's arms were already forming bruises, she looked down at them coloured red and purple everywhere. A small whine left her vocal cords.

"Joheun." a voice caught both the girls’ attention. "I never liked you." Wonwoo stood with the door open. "Why can’t you understand that?" Joheun took three steps away from Kijoon who looked completely beaten. Wonwoo rushed over to her side slipping her over his back and picking up her bag. "Why didn't you fight back?" he whispered before walking towards the door.

"I'd rather be a punching bag than watch her use herself as one." Kijoon tapped Wonwoo's shoulder having him put her down soon after the left the school yard. "I'm fine, I'll walk." Wonwoo wrapped his arm around her waist for support.

"Just in case." Kijoon smiled walking as normally as she could with bruises black and blue covering her calves.

Unlocking the door to her apartment Kijoon dropped her bag on the floor. "Mingyu! Kijoon's home!" Pyojoon yelled with a bowl full of chips walking into the living room. Mingyu stepped out of the living room with a smile until his eyes met Kijoon's state. Hana stepped out beside Mingyu,

"Whoa."