Ch17: I'm Trying My Best

Between Me and You

"Kijoon let me just- Ki- Kijoon stop moving!" Hana complained closing her five fingers around her chin. She dabbed some powdered makeup under Kijoon's eye. Kijoon blinked rapidly to keep her eyes from drying. "Kijoon stop, whenever you blink you move your big stupid head!"

Swatting Hana's hand away Kijoon snatched the consealer packet. "I'll do it myself," she huffed tossing the makeup applicant onto the counter and dabbing her third finger into the pallet. "You're no help". Hana stuck out her tongue before strutting away.

Kijoon backed her face away from the small mirror looking at her full portrait. Every bruise and scrap that was on her body was covered and almost unnoticeable. It only took ... An hour. Kijoon whined, her hair was thrown up in a bun sticking out in all different directions because of its many layers, and she hadn’t even gotten to put on her day to day make up because she was too preoccupied with covering her exposed body. Why did this have to happen to her?

The doorbell rang leaving Kijoon no other choice but to answer. As expected Wonwoo stood smile imprinted into his cheek bones. Kijoon left the door open and ran back into the bathroom letting down her hair.

The ends of Kijoon's long brown hair were dry but when her fingers ran through the middle she could feel cold dampness swallow her fingers. Her face crinkled and she threw her head down in front of her picking up the blow dryer and turning it on. Kijoon then began to grumble about how thick her hair was and how she should just cut it all off because that would be easier to work with in the morning before school.

Her head flipped back up with Wonwoo now standing closer in the door way. "I still don’t understand how girls do that." Kijoon turned to the mirror brushing her hair quickly. Most of her hairs natural waves had tamed straight by now. Kijoon scooted past Wonwoo throwing books into her bag. She paused for a second staring at nothing, "ready?" Wonwoo asked reminding Kijoon of their limited morning time. Kijoon grabbed twenty dollars off the counter shoving it into her sock.

"Ready." she exhaled tying her shoes following Wonwoo out the door.

---

Kijoon didn’t let the stares of her schoolmates stop her morning routine.

"I heard she got jumped."

"By who?"

"Joheun."

"Why?"

"She caught her boyfriend cheating on her with Kijoon."

Kijoon kept her head levelled ignoring the rumours that had obviously spread around the school. She opened her locker being greeted by a small group of girls. They hid behind their books, almost like they were scared to show their faces, not that it mattered. Kijoon couldn't identify them anyways.

"Why'd you do it?" One of their voices piped up from behind a textbook. "If you knew they were dating. Why?" Kijoon rolled her eyes exchanging her books. Before she closed her locker she looked at the three girls and really thought ahead as to what would happen if she said one thing wrong. It was like the whole second floor had stopped to hear what Kijoon had to say.

She slung her bag over her shoulder and clapped her hands together. "Okay, let's get this clear. I'm dating Wonwoo, Joheun is not. That is all you people need to know about the situation." Kijoon smiled politely ready to round the corner to her first class.

"Joheun is going around telling everyone how bloodied up you were yesterday after school." Someone called out behind her. Kijoon hung a 180 looking back to where the voice came from. She pretended to examine her arms and legs patting different parts of her body. Holding her arms out to the side of her body she said,

"Do I look bloodied up?" and stalked away satisfied with the way she composed herself.

---

The day was passing by faster than Kijoon expected. She was glad that she could enjoy her lunch outside despite the slight cold weather that had kept throughout the week. She held Wonwoo's hand joining in a group with a couple kids his age. Kijoon was pleased to be welcomed into a group she barely knew.

"Wonwoo, catch!" One of his friends hollered running backwards and spiralling a football through the air. Wonwoo ran varsity jacket flapping through the wind and long legs taking him farther and farther away from Kijoon.

Before Wonwoo had even started running to catch the football something was being planned. The moment he left Kijoon's side three girls with large buckets ran into the circle. They poured cold water over Kijoon's head. Kijoon shrieked more or less from cold shock than what she didn’t realize was going on. Wonwoo's jaw dropped as he ran back to her dropping the ball behind him.

Kijoon's makeup ran from her body trailing to the soles of her shoes. All over her bruises and cuts were now blatantly showing past what little cover up she had left. Kijoon looked down at her sopping wet uniform. She didn't understand what was going on until, "Look at all those blemishes, Joheun really gave it to her!"

Kijoon looked up from her body at people crowding around. Her lip quivered in a fight to keep tears of embarrassment from coming. Wonwoo took grasp of her hand running her out of the circle. He led them past the whole school until they escaped the crowd.

 

"I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry!" Wonwoo said hugging Kijoon while she cried.

"You didn’t even do anything wrong." she sniffled wiping away the makeup running into her eyes. "Why are you saying sorry?" Wonwoo held her shoulders feeling a wet imprint on his own shirt.

"If I didn’t run for the ball this wouldn’t have happened." he said hitting his head on a wall. Kijoon let out a small laugh before choking on her tears,

"You didn’t know." she shivered when a breeze went by freezing her body momentarily. Wonwoo noticed and wrapped his arms around her keeping her warm.

"When I find out who did this, I swear, I'm going-"

"Can you pick up my notes?" Kijoon let the words fall from . Wonwoo backed away surprised. "I'm not going to be allowed to class like this and I don’t think I can face those people. I want to go home. Can you get my notes?" Wonwoo nodded silently. Kijoon had calmed down a lot now that her adrenaline had gone down. Her breaths hiccupped occasionally but she knew to expect something to go wrong with recent events circulating in the school's gossip.

Wonwoo rubbed Kijoon's back hugging her tightly again. "Are you sure you’re okay?" Kijoon nodded into his chest. "I'll bring you, your notes tonight then. Go home and get changed into warm clothes before you get sick." Kijoon got on her toes and pressed her lips together. Wonwoo couldn’t help his smile grabbing both of her cheeks and kissing her lips repeatedly. "Go." he whispered pulling back before kissing her one last time. Kijoon hugged him walking on her way. "Text me so I know you're okay!" Wonwoo yelled just before she was out of reach.

Right when Kijoon got out of sight Wonwoo ran for his fourth period class. He stepped in to an unusually noisy classroom. Everyone was huddled in groups looking at people's phones. "What are you looking at?" he asked the mass of concentrating students. The room went almost silent except for some minor whispers Wonwoo couldn’t make out.

No one bothered to answer him they simply watched him walk over to a group and take a look at the nearest phone screen. Photos of Kijoon were being shared around the school faster than the incident happened. "Really?" Wonwoo asked himself more than the class. "Really?!" he shouted down their throats. "What is wrong with you people?! She’s an innocent grade ten!" Wonwoo fumed walking towards a seat in the back. He kicked the chair away from the desk to sit on it. "You people are pathetic." he spat crossing his arms.

Guys and girls around the classroom gawked at Wonwoo. "What is she to you?" Wonwoo looked back at the guy who called out to him. He glared heavily,

“She’s my girlfriend.” He said turning back to the front and putting on his headphones. He swore he heard the entire 11th grade whispering about him and this was something he did not want to deal with. 


A/N: Is anyone else just done with Kijoon and Joheun? I was while writing lol :p More drama to come!