Ch20: Queen of the Pathetics

Between Me and You

“If you really want him back, just be honest with him. Tell him you over reacted and that you shouldn’t have gone to extremes.”

“Wonwoo!” Kijoon called running into his unopened arms. “Wonwoo, I’m sorry. I was wrong. Let’s go back to how we were.” She huddled into his chest tightly. Wonwoo pried her arms from around him,

“Am I some toy to you?” His words hit Kijoon like a bad dog bite. “You just assume that I’ll take you back when you ask me too? Like you have me at the snap of your finger?” Kijoon spoke empty words, opening and closing like an idiot.

Kijoon hit his chest playfully, “Don’t joke around with me.” She smiled. When Wonwoo didn’t smile back her heart tightened. “Wonwoo, please just forgive me. I know I overreacted. I didn’t mean for things to go that way, it just happened.”  By now everyone in the halls had stopped and was watching the two quarrel.

Wonwoo let Kijoon’s arms fall to her sides while he began to walk away.

“Remind him of why you love him, everything you love about him. If that doesn’t win him over I don’t know what will.”

“When you stop walking your hair falls just in front of your eyes and you would look past just to see me.” Wonwoo stopped walking away and looked upward at the tiny hairs all evenly cut just above his eyes. “And when you smiled at me your eyes turned to crescents and there were these silver orbs that would reflect light that always stay in the same place.” He wanted to turn around and tell her to stop, but he didn’t know where she was going with this.

“When you kissed me you told me that you could clearly envision every daydream that occurred in my head for the day and told me that one day you want to hold the person you loved around the waist and kiss their stomach to tickle them.” Wonwoo bit his bottom lips taking a step forward. Kijoon examined his back looking to his long arms. “When you are anxious you chew on the sleeve of your sweaters and I always thought it was the cutest thing because you always did it around me.”

Wonwoo shook his head leaving the corridor. Kijoon opened to call after him again, but it was clear he was done listening. Her lips dropped into a frown while she battled the busy morning hallway to her locker.

“That’s funny. Look who is back on the bottom of the food chain.” Joheun sang evilly passing Kijoon’s locker, “Who’s going to protect you now, honey?” Joheun shoved Kijoon into her locker and slammed the door shut laughing.

“Get lost, Joheun.” The girl’s head turned to see Mingyu coming down the hallway with Wonwoo following behind him. Mingyu turned his attention to Kijoon helping her out of the locker after pushing Joheun away.

“Why should you help her? She left you remember?” One of Joheun’s annoying followers piped.

“Just because we aren’t together doesn’t mean I shouldn’t care for her.” Kijoon gave a small smile holding onto Mingyu’s arms for support. Joheun snarled slightly then looked to Wonwoo,

“Call me again tonight?” She giggled happily. Wonwoo just stood with a cold hard expression on his face. “I know you had fun last night.” She smirked leaving with her small troop following after her.

Kijoon was frozen in her spot staring at Wonwoo, call me again? I know you had fun last night? She shook her thoughts out of her head. Wonwoo snapped his head towards her, “Don’t you ever say things like that out loud in a public setting again. There’s things people don’t know about me here and those were some of them.” Kijoon couldn’t tell if Wonwoo was trying to be angry or upset with what was going on. “If you want to get back together, you are going to try harder than that.”

She shook her head with a little laugh, “Why should I after what I just heard? ‘Call me again tonight?’ On to the next one?” Wonwoo rolled his eyes,

“There you go again, jumping to conclusions and spilling out the first thing that comes to your mind. Grow up Kijoon.”  Before Kijoon could retort anything back, Wonwoo was gone up the stairwell. Mingyu fumbled at her side replacing her books in her bag.

“I thought you said he’d take me back?” Kijoon whined half upset, the other half frustrated. “You said if I did what you asked then he’d come back to me.” Mingyu shoved her bag into her arms,

“Not when you go about the situation like you already have him. You need to go bigger now.” Mingyu straightened out his shirt looking up and down the newly empty hall. “Try a little harder. Don’t just tell him how you want it to be. Do something for him instead.” Kijoon pouted her bottom lip agreeing.  “And, Kijoon,” Mingyu said before going a separate way than her, “Don’t tell Wonwoo we kissed.” Kijoon nodded down the stairwell to her next class.

---

Concentrating is something Kijoon really has to work on. When one thing bothers her, everything does. She starts on this long list of things that are going wrong in her life and for some reason recently her number one on that list was always Mingyu or Wonwoo. She sighed adding the seventh item onto a piece of paper. She couldn’t help but feel bad because all she could do was complain and cry about her problems to people that didn’t have problems rather than fix them.

She glanced up at her last period black board seeing the note she should be copying. What to do? She asked herself scribbling down the main parts of the note. Her hand was pressed up on her cheek and she planned out different ways to go about impressing Wonwoo.

By the end of the class Kijoon had drawn plans all in the margin of her paper (more than half of which would not be possible with the resources she had). She was thinking big, but on the same level cheesy. To be honest she didn’t know what she was doing but she knew she had to work quickly before she lost Wonwoo for good.

---

“No,” Kijoon groaned thrashing her body around. She had tried three separate ways already to win Wonwoo’s heart back.

She took a look at her list on the side of her biology note that read:

Dedicated song on the announcements

Ask to a concert he really wants to see

Bribe him with his favourite food

Offer to do his homework

Kijoon struck out her last idea glaring up at Wonwoo in front of his locker. “Try harder, but be simple. Don’t do anything embarrassing.” He said for the fourth time that week before walking home.

When Kijoon turned around Mingyu stood with a hand over his mouth. It looked like he was attempting to stifle a laugh which really was not working in his favour. “You offered to do his homework?” He blurted out in a slightly rude way. Kijoon hung her head in shame,

“I don’t know!” She flopped her arms in the air ready to give up. “I never planned anything like this. I don’t know what guys like. You two always did stuff for me! I never had to worry about you!" Kijoon huffed crossing her arms. Mingyu shook his head in a disapproving manner.        

"Maybe you should start." he said walking Kijoon to her next class.