Ch1: One Step Closer

Between Me and You

Kijoon felt the sun sinking deep into her skin. She soaked up the rays happily lying on a checker blanket Mingyu had set up. Her hands were both being held-one by Mingyu, the other by Wonwoo- and she couldn't help but smile.

It was those moment when she could just reminisce and enjoy being with her friends. No playful fights with Wonwoo or serious gestures from Mingyu. Just them and the sun.

She let out a content sigh slipping her hands away from the two boys and resting on her elbows. "Today," she said looking straight out ahead of her, "is a good day. It feels so nice being outside in the warmth." Wonwoo and Mingyu silently agreed while dozing off in the afternoon sun.

It seemed like their park picnic ended sooner than it started. Wonwoo was sent off to his own house while Mingyu made sure Kijoon had a safe walk home. They didn’t walk hand in hand, by Kijoon's request (with the new spring heat she could feel the sweat droplets forming in the palms of her hands). Instead they locked pinkies.

People would say Mingyu treated Kijoon like a little kid. And in a way he did. He always made sure to hold her hand when they walked, gave her piggy backs when she was tired of walking, even ruffled her hair when she did something remotely cute. But that’s something he liked about her.

Kijoon never cared that she was babied by Mingyu. She enjoyed it really and without having to worry about being in any sort of danger while Mingyu was around, she could let her mind soar through the clouds and take a rest on the tops of skyscraper buildings.

Mingyu had a soft walk, like a gentle stroll around the neighbourhood. It was peaceful for a while, but nothing was ever peaceful forever with Kijoon.

She had this side to her personality that only someone close to her would see. Kijoon dreamed with her eyes open. Mingyu could see every senerio that played through her head while she explained her craziest dreams of fantasy and romance.

Wonwoo would often elaborate on the stories throwing in some action scene resulting in a wrestle match in the middle of the living room because no one messes with Kijoon's fantasies.

This was the side Mingyu loved the most about Kijoon. Her curiosity bubble to the surface. "I wish I could touch clouds." He heard her whisper to herself dancing her free hand around in the air.

Mingyu wished he could take one million photos of this one moment. Walking past tall city buildings with someone he was sure he had feeling for while she dreamed unmaginable things.

"Do you wish you could touch the clouds?" Kijoon asked voice half croaking into normal volume. She staggered a look at Mingyu and he swore he had never seen her eyes that big. They were so round and beautiful and were burst out their dark brown-black rim with wonder.

Then Mingyu realized he'd been staring. He tends to stare a lot, but only ever at Kijoon. "Y-yeah." he smiled a faint blush creeping up on his cheeks. "That would be cool." he concludes looking everywhere but Kijoon's face.

Her hand was like a clamp around Mingyu's jaw line. "Look at me." she said bunching her eyebrows close together. "Be normal. Normal Gyu." she smiled locking more fingers with his.

The nervousness was sinking in as the two teenagers slugged towards Kijoon's apartment building. Mingyu had to pull himself together and be confident if he wanted to have a good outcome.

Through the front doors they greeted the group of elderly women that huddled together to talk and have tea every Sunday afternoon. Kijoon could hear their incessant giggles about Mingyu's handsome looks as they entered the elevator.

Mingyu counted the floors up to the eighth where his heart dropped. He knew that in the time he walked three doors he would need to build up the courage to ask Kijoon out. It was almost like Kijoon was dragging him down the hall.

It felt like less than a second and she already had her door open behind her and was saying her last goodbye for the day. She hopped up onto the tips of her toes with one hand on Mingyu's left shoulder and the other on the right side of his face.

He knew what came next. The goodbye cheek kiss. The only reason he was so diligent in taking Kijoon home after every meet. If Wonwoo hadn't been too lazy to come, Mingyu knew he'd get a kiss as well. But this one was his, all this. Just like the many before, and he hoped many in the future.

Kijoon's head tilted slightly to reach Mingyu's cheek when he caught her hand at the side of his face. "Joonah." Mingyu hummed turning his head to see her clearly. She looked like a fool with her lips still pursed like a fish's. Mingyu didn't care. He was only noting how close he had a hold on her body.

Her hips were pressed lightly against his in result from closing in and his left hand had absentmindedly found its way into the groove of her back. Kijoon relaxed her face and smiled, "Yeah?" Mingyu found a spot on the ground to stare at between his and Kijoon's feet.

"A date- if you wouldn't mind- try it- would you- I know were friends- just you and I-" He cursed himself from over rehearsing his lines for this moment. "I mean-"

"I know were friends, but would you try a date? Just you and I?" Kijoon bit her bottom lip to prevent the smile from growing on her face.

"That's what I meant." Mingyu mumbled hiding his face.

"Yes, text me." She said simply before pressing her lips to Mingyu's cheek and rushing inside her apartment. She closed the door and scurried around the apartment grabbing a bag of chips and a water bottle before making her way to her room.

"Did you have a good day?" Kijoon heard her dad call from another room.

"Mmm" she responded mouth full of chips and a big smile plastered from ear to ear. She dropped back onto her bed bouncing after the collision with her pillows and blankets.

Kijoon shoved a pillow in her face and laughed. She kicked her feet into the air and cheered for self happily. Her hair was sprawled evenly across her face, but she was too excited to care. She rolled around making a small groan and closed her eyes. She could feel her heart beating into the mattress. "Mingyu." She whispered shaking her head and covering her face "A date with Mingyu."