Ch3: Where You Go...

Between Me and You

"I think I love you." Mingyu said to himself watching Kijoon sleep the summer's afternoon away. "And I hope you love me too,” His right hand rest on her cheek, thumb tracing circles on her temple.

Mingyu was tired himself. Both he and Kijoon were night people. They would sleep all day and stay up all night. It was like a mutual prime time. But Mingyu refused to sleep at this moment.

Every Tuesday this summer was the same. Tuesday was Mingyu's day alone with Kijoon. Often the day would start at four o'clock in the afternoon, since that was the time Kijoon would finally wake up after her busy day with Wonwoo the day before.

It was just recently though that Mingyu would stop by Kijoon's place early and wait for her to wake up. He liked watching her sleep. He liked tilting his head to match hers and conjuring up all the many dreams she had in his own mind.

Mingyu knew exactly when to leave the room so he could prepare an extremely late breakfast for her. He knew the route she would stumble towards the bathroom to brush her teeth, the yawn she'd make stretching her arms up far above her head. Mingyu could remember everything like it was a ritual right down to the seconds it would take for Kijoon snap her eyes open.

Today Mingyu wanted to change that routine, because today he was not just "Mingyu: Kijoon's best friend". No, today he was "Mingyu: Kijoon's Boyfriend". He didn't need to worry about Kijoon waking up ahead of time and catching him staring at her.

"Kijoonie." Mingyu whispered placing his cold hand on Kijoon's arm. Her nose scrunched up from the mix of temperature. She absentmindedly pulled the covers up over her shoulders hugging them closer to her body.

"Kijoonie." Mingyu sang song rubbing his thumb along her forearm. Kijoon let out a heavy groan turning her face away from Mingyu. "Kijoonie, wake up. I’m taking you out for breakfast today to have our second date."

Mingyu jumped onto the other side of the bed lying beside Kijoon. "Gyu, my alarm didn’t go off yet. Let me sleep." she whined covering her head with the blankets.

Reaching over the stubborn girl Mingyu set off Kijoon's alarm. "See its time to wake up." Mingyu said sitting with his hands on his knees and a smile on his face. Kijoon poked her head out looking at the time.

"Mingyu, its 3!" she croaked shutting off her alarm. "Wake me in an hour." Kijoon smacked her hand on the alarm and her eyes fluttered closed. Mingyu lay back beside her again.

"Kijoon, I want to go out. Please." Kijoon blindly shoved her hand in Mingyu's face attempting to shut up him. Mingyu could taste the saltiness from her skin dip into his mouth. He backed his face away sticking his tongue out disgusted. Kijoon's hand retreated underneath the pillow she was laying on.

"Kijoon." Mingyu cried moving close to her. His lips bunched up and kissed her cheek. "Kijoonie," he whined again. Kissing her forehead. "Kijoon wake up." He continued kissing her face after every phrase.

Kijoon could help but smile. She could tell Mingyu was making his way to her lips. Her eyes flew open and she pushed Mingyu away. Before he could swoop down for another kiss, "You have to win these lips." she said making a kissy face and pointing to . Mingyu's bottom lip pouted.

Kijoon swung her legs over the edge of her bed and stood up with a little hop. Unlike her normal self she skipped happily into the bathroom where she prepared for the day.

Sighing Mingyu folded his hands behind his back. He waited for Kijoon to come out of the bathroom. He could hear her soft sweet humming coming from the bathroom followed by the sound of running water. Kijoon swung open the door hanging a u-turn back into her room.

She shuffles towards her wardrobe pulling out an outfit. She put it on her dresser and looking in the mirror at Mingyu who was lying on the bed. "Um excuse me." she said. Mingyu turned his head. "Can you please get out?" she asked sassily.

Mingyu laughed sitting up, "You've changed in front of me before! Even Wonwoo was there!" Kijoon's cheeks went red and she turned around.

"Its different now." she muttered trying not to feel embarrassed. She stood quietly waiting for Mingyu to leave. "I’m serious."

"Fine ill close my eyes" Mingyu said lying back on the bed.

"Mingyu~" Kijoon whined flailing arms at her sides. When she saw he wasn’t moving she stomped to the side of the bed. "Get out!" she yelled pulling one of his arms. "Get out! Get out! Get out!" Mingyu made himself as heavy as he could, finding amusement from how Kijoon struggled with his height.

"I’m not going to look." Mingyu said in his defence pushing back on Kijoon.

"Yes you will! All guys are erts!" she yelled finally pushing him through the door. "I’m going to be like five minutes." she panted slamming the door and locking it behind him.

"If all guys are erts then why did you change in front of Wonwoo and I before?" Mingyu shouted through the door. Kijoon scrammed into her new clothes and threw her hair up into a messy bun swinging the door open.

"Because I didn’t have to worry about one of those erts being my boyfriend before." she said smiling. Mingyu raised an eyebrow.

"That was fast." he commented as Kijoon passed him slipping her shoes on at the front door. She waited for Mingyu to put his shoes on before snatching his hand in hers.

"Let's go!" Kijoon chimed excitedly opening the door and dragging Mingyu with her.

It didn’t take long for Mingyu to start leading the way. Kijoon's first burst of energy had come and past and now she was slugging behind Mingyu tired. Her stomach screeched some sort of message and somersaulted telling her she was hungry.

"Mingyu~ we’ve been walking forever. I’m hungry." it was true. The two of them had been walking for a good half an hour. Mingyu pointed ahead at a small looking shack. "Are we going to eat there?" Mingyu hummed a response. "But look at it, Gyu. It is all run down and stuff!"

Mingyu snapped to face Kijoon. He quickly pressed his index finger to her small lips. "Don’t judge a book by its cover." Kijoon rolled her eyes, mimicking the sound of the quote in a high pitched voice. "Is that what everyone sounds like in your head?" Mingyu said opening the door for Kijoon to walk in.

Kijoon strut ahead, "only you and Wonwoo." Mingyu stood slightly stunned by the comment. He shook his head and sat in a booth with Kijoon.

The shack wasn't much like a shack on the inside. It was still as run down as Kijoon had expected it to be, but it was warm. The feeling was calm and everywhere there were traditional objects and banners from many different Asian cultures. Kijoon didn’t even look down at her menu because she was too entranced by the things around her.

It was Kijoon's roaring stomach that brought her back to earth. "What shall we order?" she said bringing her attention back to Mingyu.

"I’m ordering, you are eating." he Said simply tugging the menu from Kijoon's hands.

"Why? I want to choose something I will like!" she reached for the Menu Mingyu held out of her reach.

"You will eat what I order. I want to expose you to something new. All you’ve eaten this summer is boxed foods like Kraft dinner and process cheese. That's not good for you, you know?" Kijoon pout her bottom lip.

As much as Kijoon is a dreamer, she can’t keep herself still for a long period of time. She always has to move. Wonwoo had called it her musical intuition once. He finds when Kijoon gets bored she sings and dances. Even if it’s in her own little square metre. But obviously the other people in the restaurant were not used to that.

Mingyu had grown an immunity to Kijoon's large scale physical personality. Occasionally he would realize Kijoon is singing or dancing, but that was only in severe boredom cases.

Kijoon was laying back in the booth with her legs hanging over the edge of the seat. She sang her newest favourite songs while swinging her feet underneath the seat. Her hands tapped out the beat of the song while head her lolled like a metronome.

By now a server had come and stared while simultaneously taking the order Mingyu made. She bowed her head lightly leaving the table and looking over her shoulder at Kijoon who had her hands far up in the air and was swivelling them around her face.

Mingyu watched Kijoon play with her own hands. He wondered what they looked like to her. If this dance they were doing matched the song she was humming. He rest his head on his hands not wanting to bother her.

"Did you order?" Kijoon asked sitting up. The bun in her hair sagged slightly. Mingyu nodded. She smiled and reached behind her head to fix her hair when Mingyu grabbed her hand.

"It looks fine." he reassured. Kijoon blushed hiding her face.

---

"I like this one!" Kijoon exclaimed looking at the small trays of food being delivered to their table. Mingyu smiled placing small portions into his mouth. "Have you tried all of these?" Mingyu shook his head covering his mouth as he chewed,

"No, actually I-"

"Kijoon?" Kijoon looked behind Mingyu where her name was called. "Kijoon!" Kijoon waved her friend over. Mingyu swallowed unevenly hesitating to look over his shoulder. Of course, who else would ruin the couple's date other than Kijoon's close school friend, Joheun.

Mingyu rolled his eyes as Joheun scooted into their booth. “Kijoon, I’ve been trying to get a hold of you all week. Where have you been?”

“I’ve been-“ Mingyu stuffed food into his mouth and chewed with an annoyed look in his eyes. Kijoon tried not to smile to widely at Mingyu’s discomfort. “Occupied.” Mingyu scrunched his nose at her continuing to eat.

“Well, the girls and I were wondering,” Joheun gestured over her shoulder at the full table of girls. “if you would want to come out camping before school starts up again. We’re going the weekend right before.” Mingyu’s head shot up and he looked wide eyed at Kijoon.

Kijoon had promised to spend that last weekend with Mingyu because Wonwoo had booked every other weekend he saw available. She laughed awkwardly looking between to awkward pair sharing the opposite side of the booth. “I’m spending that weekend with Mingyu” Kijoon pointed in front of her face at Mingyu.

Mingyu sighed in relief in his head. He liked knowing that he was a priority over Kijoon’s school friends. “Oh, he can come too.” Joheun smiled, “We have extra tents lying around somewhere. Oh, and ask your other friend if he’ll come too! He’s kinda cute, but don’t worry I know you have dibs.” Kijoon almost choked on her spit when she heard the words slip from Joheun’s mouth.

“N- No. Definitely not.” Kijoon quickly downed half her glass of water, “He’s totally up for grabs.”

“More for me then.” Joheun laughed, “I gotta go now, my food will be at the table at any time.” Joheun waved goodbye and left from the table.  

Mingyu pursed his lips waving unpleasantly.  He stared across the table at Kijoon. “What?” She asked innocently slipping food past the seal of her lips.

“You did not just volunteer me for that camping trip.” Mingyu pointed a fork at Kijoon. “I’m not going and neither are you.” Kijoon’s eye brows furrowed,

“I’m going. It would be nice if you went too. I guess I’m just going to have to spend the weekend with Wonwoo.” She sighed teasingly moving untouched food around her plate. Mingyu groaned in defeat.